Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Set Pieces - Not Really Our Strength? 18:46 - Feb 7 with 1682 viewsPhil_S

I guess it probably seems a bit strange starting an article about set pieces not being our strength just 24 hours after Gylfi Sigurdsson scored a world class one for us against Crystal Palace but there will be very few fans that disagree with the sentiment that we can indeed defend them better.

Full story at http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/41957
Set Pieces - Not Really Our Strength? on 19:12 - Feb 7 with 1649 viewsawayjack

Cost us 8-10 pts from defence this season assuming opposition wouldn't have gone on to score in other ways. We've also conceded a few times on breaks-aways from our attacking corners. Our return on attacking corners is also piss poor. We're not the tallest team in the league but it's seems about poor positioning, concentration and not attacking the ball in the air. Stuff that really should be sorted on the training ground.
Set Pieces - Not Really Our Strength? on 19:14 - Feb 7 with 1645 viewsjacabertawe

Set Pieces - Not Really Our Strength? on 19:12 - Feb 7 by awayjack

Cost us 8-10 pts from defence this season assuming opposition wouldn't have gone on to score in other ways. We've also conceded a few times on breaks-aways from our attacking corners. Our return on attacking corners is also piss poor. We're not the tallest team in the league but it's seems about poor positioning, concentration and not attacking the ball in the air. Stuff that really should be sorted on the training ground.

Spot on.

Britishness...is a political synonym for Englishness which extends English culture over the Scots, the Welsh, and the Irish. - Gwynfor Evans

Set Pieces - Not Really Our Strength? on 20:54 - Feb 7 with 1594 viewsHubert

Is it a surprise? We rarely score from them, and we concede regularly from them.
Simplistically, how can you improve the defending of a set piece in training when those attacking them have little idea?
Set Pieces - Not Really Our Strength? on 11:01 - Feb 8 with 1492 viewstomdickharry

Bet Koeman is rubbing his hands down at Southampton knowing that we are poor defending corners,going to be very interesting next Saturday to see how we deal with them.
Set Pieces - Not Really Our Strength? on 11:17 - Feb 8 with 1479 viewsSwanseajill

I've been harping on for a while that as in the past Leon should be guarding the goalpost.

But regarding the C.P. game, we had two players missing that I've noticed are both decent at set pieces defending...Ki and Gomis
[Post edited 8 Feb 2016 11:23]
Set Pieces - Not Really Our Strength? on 11:41 - Feb 8 with 1455 viewsmonmouth

Set Pieces - Not Really Our Strength? on 11:17 - Feb 8 by Swanseajill

I've been harping on for a while that as in the past Leon should be guarding the goalpost.

But regarding the C.P. game, we had two players missing that I've noticed are both decent at set pieces defending...Ki and Gomis

I don't think personnel really mattered on Saturday though. Someone - anyone - should have had the job of defending the near post flick on. Criminal.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Set Pieces - Not Really Our Strength? on 11:45 - Feb 8 with 1447 viewsSwanseajill

Set Pieces - Not Really Our Strength? on 11:41 - Feb 8 by monmouth

I don't think personnel really mattered on Saturday though. Someone - anyone - should have had the job of defending the near post flick on. Criminal.

I agree about " anybody, but some body"
I only mentioned Leon, as he, most of the time did that job.
Set Pieces - Not Really Our Strength? on 11:54 - Feb 8 with 1429 viewsjack247

Have to agree with the general consensus here, we haven't got the tallest team, so we are going to get mismatches and simply out jumped now and then. Our goals conceded tend to come from positional mistakes and not tracking runners properly though. No real excuse for that.
Login to get fewer ads

Set Pieces - Not Really Our Strength? on 12:25 - Feb 8 with 1406 viewsA_Fans_Dad

I said on another post that if we are this poor and we are, that we should have everyone defending for corners and forget about "outlets", their is not much point in having an outlet when the next Swans player to touch the ball is re-starting the game from the centre circle after the opposition have scored.
It would allow players to be on the posts and also nearer to the corner taker to cut down his angles.
But we really need a Bony who always attacked the incoming ball ignoring what "they" were doing, where he was a natural at it, we don't seem to have anybody else with that ability and I am not sure if it can be trained in to someone.
Fer is 6' 2" but not currently playing, but I don't know how good he is at intercepting high balls.
Set Pieces - Not Really Our Strength? on 13:16 - Feb 8 with 1362 viewsvetchonian

Set Pieces - Not Really Our Strength? on 11:17 - Feb 8 by Swanseajill

Yes Gomis took over as our best defender at corners from Wilf and for some reason we still fail to put a body on the post.....we still haven't learnt from that goal at LEGOLAND when they beat us

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

Set Pieces - Not Really Our Strength? on 13:19 - Feb 8 with 1355 viewsClinton

If we defended more effectively in front of the back four, teams wouldnt get through us and we wouldnt give away so many corners in the first place. I think FG might address that.
I wonder if there are any statistics on corners conceded? Id be interested where we stand.

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Set Pieces - Not Really Our Strength? on 14:36 - Feb 8 with 1302 viewsjasper_T

Set Pieces - Not Really Our Strength? on 13:19 - Feb 8 by Clinton

If we defended more effectively in front of the back four, teams wouldnt get through us and we wouldnt give away so many corners in the first place. I think FG might address that.
I wonder if there are any statistics on corners conceded? Id be interested where we stand.

I don't think we concede more than average. Just feels that way because the ones we do concede seem far more dangerous than the ones we get.

No team can completely eliminate conceding corners. Sometimes putting one behind is good defending.
Set Pieces - Not Really Our Strength? on 15:39 - Feb 8 with 1261 viewsDewi1jack

I know "Sousaball" was sleep inducing (under him I actually fell asleep in one game while watching!), but he did teach us to defend as a team.
Gave Brenda a really good platform to go on and be the hero. We didn't concede many in our first season back up, didn't score many either mind.
Think we got 14 clean sheets if I remember, can't be bothered to check and scored 40 odd goals.
Every clean sheet is at the very least worth 1 point.
Considering GM and KO'L were defenders, we've become shocking at defending set pieces again- same as we were under the Tapas Waiter's plan A (score more than the opposition.)
Someone needs to sort the teams defending and positioning at set pieces.

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

Set Pieces - Not Really Our Strength? on 16:36 - Feb 8 with 1229 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Set Pieces - Not Really Our Strength? on 14:36 - Feb 8 by jasper_T

I don't think we concede more than average. Just feels that way because the ones we do concede seem far more dangerous than the ones we get.

No team can completely eliminate conceding corners. Sometimes putting one behind is good defending.

In fact we appear to be below average, Prem average is 5.36, Swansea's is 4.92.
Worst Team at 6.72 is Leicester.

But then we are also well below average at winning them as well at only 4.24.
Liverpool are top with 7.28.
[Post edited 8 Feb 2016 16:39]
Set Pieces - Not Really Our Strength? on 16:41 - Feb 8 with 1225 viewsicecoldjack

Set Pieces - Not Really Our Strength? on 19:12 - Feb 7 by awayjack

Yep, agree.
Set Pieces - Not Really Our Strength? on 17:54 - Feb 8 with 1195 viewsTummer_from_Texas

When it comes to free kicks from within 10 yards of the opponents' penalty box, except on the flanks, we are as good and dangerous as any club in the PL. All thanks to Siggy's right leg.

When it comes to ALL other set pieces, both ours and the ones we defend, we are simply horrible.

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

Set Pieces - Not Really Our Strength? on 18:29 - Feb 8 with 1176 viewslondonlisa2001

Set Pieces - Not Really Our Strength? on 17:54 - Feb 8 by Tummer_from_Texas

When it comes to free kicks from within 10 yards of the opponents' penalty box, except on the flanks, we are as good and dangerous as any club in the PL. All thanks to Siggy's right leg.

When it comes to ALL other set pieces, both ours and the ones we defend, we are simply horrible.

We're pretty good at penalties actually and have been for years.
Set Pieces - Not Really Our Strength? on 19:05 - Feb 8 with 1161 viewsexiledclaseboy

The title of this thread is right up there with "Bears - do they sh*t in woods?"

Poll: Tory leader

Set Pieces - Not Really Our Strength? on 19:43 - Feb 8 with 1126 viewsmonmouth

Last season though I remember remarking that corners no longer worried me, after cacking my kecks on every corner for a few years. mainly because Fabianski was a massive presence and the defence knew it. Not that it would have stopped Saturdays effort, but it looks to me somethng has changed there. It may of course just be my perception that has changed and I should have been bricking it all along.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Set Pieces - Not Really Our Strength? on 19:45 - Feb 8 with 1120 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Set Pieces - Not Really Our Strength? on 19:43 - Feb 8 by monmouth

Last season though I remember remarking that corners no longer worried me, after cacking my kecks on every corner for a few years. mainly because Fabianski was a massive presence and the defence knew it. Not that it would have stopped Saturdays effort, but it looks to me somethng has changed there. It may of course just be my perception that has changed and I should have been bricking it all along.

One name - Bony.
Set Pieces - Not Really Our Strength? on 20:57 - Feb 8 with 1080 viewskarnataka

Set Pieces - Not Really Our Strength? on 19:45 - Feb 8 by A_Fans_Dad

One name - Bony.

Yes Bony was always our first line of defence at corners but tbf Gomis has done a decent job at that since but now he's not starting games, nobody else appears to have that responsibility. Someone mentioned how we defended under Sousa but didn't he get us to use zonal defending at corners? In zonal, every player has the responsibility for attacking the ball if it's coming into his zone irrespective of what the opposition players are doing so if Fernandez had been instructed to defend his zone against CP rather than try to wrestle his man without watching the ball, he may well have attacked the ball and cleared it or at least got a block in or done enough to prevent his opponent from getting a clean strike. Sometimes when players are given man marking instructions, they concentrate 100% on their man to the extent that they forget that it's still where the ball goes that's the most important. What we've tended to do with Bony and Gomis is give them a zonal responsibility while everyone else man marks but we can only do that if we have someone on the pitch who can do it.
Set Pieces - Not Really Our Strength? on 21:21 - Feb 8 with 1067 viewsjasper_T

Set Pieces - Not Really Our Strength? on 19:43 - Feb 8 by monmouth

All the decent punches he's making this season were catches last season. He's not coming out and dominating the penalty area like he was before.

I blame the coaching, as he's regressed towards being the hesitant keeper he was at Arsenal in a lot of games.
Set Pieces - Not Really Our Strength? on 21:41 - Feb 8 with 1054 viewsPhil_S

Undoubtedly for me there is a massive factor this season that has been much overlooked and that is the change of goalkeeping coach back in the summer. Since that point Fabianski is far less dominant in his area and prefers to punch far too often. Was there a reason why he looked better with us than he did with Arsenal and did we then bring that reason here to lessen what we had?
Set Pieces - Not Really Our Strength? on 21:58 - Feb 8 with 1044 viewsjasper_T

Any chance Javier Garcia would be willing to come back?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024