Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools 19:46 - Feb 7 with 18764 viewsPhil_S

Stephen Ganavas makes his Planet Swans debut with an article looking at our new manager

Full details at http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/41959
Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 20:55 - Feb 7 with 1433 viewsVetchitBack

Another obvious but possibly overlooked point is if we get a bit better going forward and say win or are winning by a two-goal margin (imagine that!) the frantic defending may not be a feature.

The orthodox are always orthodox, regardless of the orthodoxy.

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 20:56 - Feb 7 with 1432 viewsHighjack

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 20:54 - Feb 7 by Marottanomics

In this context, it simply means that in the long run, if you played out that Everton game with the same chances, Swansea would not win many of the matches.

Are you also factoring in the chances that we missed though?

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 20:56 - Feb 7 with 1428 viewsexiledclaseboy

Bloody lucky we've already won that particular game then.

Poll: Tory leader

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 20:56 - Feb 7 with 1424 viewsMarottanomics

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 20:53 - Feb 7 by lovejuicejack

The same people on here who are shouting you down are the ones who have been saying if we stay up this season we need a big rethink next season, but heyho just muddle along and scrape the points to stay up innit.

Thank you. It's been a warm introduction to the forum as you can see. Scrape a few points and everything's rosy, drop a few points and we're going down. Standard stuff really.

Stephen Ganavas - Follow me on Twitter @Marottanomics

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 20:57 - Feb 7 with 1419 viewsDewi1jack

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 20:25 - Feb 7 by Marottanomics

Watched a lot of his Udinese. Curtis did not have a clear philosophy in his few games in charge.

With Guidolin, he is at least trying to put in place some structures based around getting this team with these players, to Premier League safety. I don't particularly think the group of players he has as a whole is geared well towards a particular style and he is making do with what he has at his disposal.

You've got stylistic mids, then Gomis up top who has the first touch of an elephant. It doesn't quite compute. Guidolin's trying to make our attacks more direct, while playing our midfield deeper and deeper.

As far as Shelvey is concerned, I still think he had so much to offer to the club purely from a playing viewpoint. There were clearly other issues involved, but as an all-around midfielder he is far better than what we've got now.

"As far as Shelvey is concerned, I still think he had so much to offer to the club purely from a playing viewpoint. There were clearly other issues involved, but as an all-around midfielder he is far better than what we've got now."

Just to explain football a little to you.

It's a team game consisting of 11 players trying to win.
When you have 1 player continually not trying to help his team out and being disruptive as fuk...
then under no stretch of the imagination can he be considered better than the rest who are trying to play as a team.
He's just a passenger, picking up a wage packet.
One player, not even Messi or Tatey can win a game on his own.

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 20:57 - Feb 7 with 1418 viewsDavillin

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 20:50 - Feb 7 by exiledclaseboy

Regressing to the mean?

What language is this?

Statistics.

[I loves it!]

It is rather a tendency that as data points are added, the tendency is to have them calculate as closer and closer to the average so far. What the tendency ignores is that bell curves exist and could exaggerate themselves as time goes on, a bit less frequently than regression to the mean.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 20:58 - Feb 7 with 1412 viewsHighjack

Can we see some splodges on a map that denotes all the easy chances we have missed?

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 20:58 - Feb 7 with 1405 viewsGh0st

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 20:44 - Feb 7 by londonlisa2001

One of the worst things that has come into football over the past few years is the obsession with stats, caused in the main by Opta and the increasing 'Americanisation' of our sports.

It's all about heat maps, and percentages. Those of us that have watched this game for ever can tell who is working out, who is not, and which team is actually on top and which is not. I don't give a stuff what the 'stats' say - we are playing a damn sight better than we were under Monk.

Give this bloke a chance for God's sake - he's been in for three matches, and has picked up 5 points.

If he carries on in that way we will stay up, and we can go from there.

Exactly, I hate stats.
Login to get fewer ads

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 20:58 - Feb 7 with 1402 viewsexiledclaseboy

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 20:55 - Feb 7 by VetchitBack

Another obvious but possibly overlooked point is if we get a bit better going forward and say win or are winning by a two-goal margin (imagine that!) the frantic defending may not be a feature.

I said yesterday at 1-0 how nice it would be to have a two goal lead for a change. One is rarely going to be enough and I can't remember the last time we were more than one goal up.

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 20:59 - Feb 7 with 1397 viewsexiledclaseboy

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 20:57 - Feb 7 by Davillin

Statistics.

[I loves it!]

It is rather a tendency that as data points are added, the tendency is to have them calculate as closer and closer to the average so far. What the tendency ignores is that bell curves exist and could exaggerate themselves as time goes on, a bit less frequently than regression to the mean.

Thanks, Dav but that didn't help.

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 20:59 - Feb 7 with 1397 viewsMarottanomics

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 20:56 - Feb 7 by Highjack

Are you also factoring in the chances that we missed though?

That's the problem, we didn't have any good chances apart from the pen. The other goal was from a tight angle from a decent distance.

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 21:00 - Feb 7 with 1393 viewsjackonicko

Every game starts at zero-zero - so long as we can get some shots on the frame, even from a SP or PK, with a shut out in our own six, then we should be okay for the match ups in the bottom half of the season.

Let's get it more into the wheelhouse and hope we have our shooting cleats on.
Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 21:00 - Feb 7 with 1386 viewsexiledclaseboy

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 20:59 - Feb 7 by Marottanomics

That's the problem, we didn't have any good chances apart from the pen. The other goal was from a tight angle from a decent distance.

But he scored.

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 21:00 - Feb 7 with 1385 viewsDarran

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 20:58 - Feb 7 by Highjack

Can we see some splodges on a map that denotes all the easy chances we have missed?

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 21:01 - Feb 7 with 1381 viewslovejuicejack

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 20:56 - Feb 7 by Marottanomics

Thank you. It's been a warm introduction to the forum as you can see. Scrape a few points and everything's rosy, drop a few points and we're going down. Standard stuff really.

And funny thing is a lot on here said that even when we finished 8 th last season they walked away feeling that the football wasn't great and there was under lying issues that the wins where papering over. They said that this season mind not at the time else they be crucified!
Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 21:01 - Feb 7 with 1378 viewsVetchitBack

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 20:54 - Feb 7 by Marottanomics

In this context, it simply means that in the long run, if you played out that Everton game with the same chances, Swansea would not win many of the matches.

And we'd often beat Palace.

To be fair Marottanomics you're making the same point the self-styled '"right-all-along about Monk" lot were making when we were picking up scrappy points under him.

The orthodox are always orthodox, regardless of the orthodoxy.

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 21:03 - Feb 7 with 1349 viewsunion_jack

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 20:50 - Feb 7 by exiledclaseboy

Regressing to the mean?

What language is this?

I expected better from you backside tbh.

Omitting the one laughable point made by Steve (I don't know him by the way) that Shelvey is better than anyone else in the midfield, I believe he makes some good points.

Curtis didn't have too much of a plan really but he motivated the players to go out and perform. I am sure Guidolin has a much more defined strategy. And the players we have may not be suited, I don't know?

And Steve us right, wins can mask problems. You are also right that at this end if the season wins mean everything, but as he says, ignoring the problems will mean we'll lose more than we'll win.

I'd love to see U.S. attack with lace, directly and with width. In Ayew, Routs, Barrow, Paloschi we have the personnel but I have my doubts about Ki but more so about Cork who go sideways or backup wards. Britton of course is faultless (really).

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 21:04 - Feb 7 with 1349 viewsDewi1jack

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 20:55 - Feb 7 by Darran

They would if they scored more than the opposition.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2016 20:56]

Another lesson in football Steven.
If we score more than the opposition, we win.
If we'd have won all our last four games 1-0, the only underlying problem I can see is, we'd be 4 points better off

And sitting above Chelski.

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 21:06 - Feb 7 with 1331 viewsexiledclaseboy

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 21:03 - Feb 7 by union_jack

Omitting the one laughable point made by Steve (I don't know him by the way) that Shelvey is better than anyone else in the midfield, I believe he makes some good points.

Curtis didn't have too much of a plan really but he motivated the players to go out and perform. I am sure Guidolin has a much more defined strategy. And the players we have may not be suited, I don't know?

And Steve us right, wins can mask problems. You are also right that at this end if the season wins mean everything, but as he says, ignoring the problems will mean we'll lose more than we'll win.

I'd love to see U.S. attack with lace, directly and with width. In Ayew, Routs, Barrow, Paloschi we have the personnel but I have my doubts about Ki but more so about Cork who go sideways or backup wards. Britton of course is faultless (really).

Backside? Is everyone talking gibberish tonight?

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 21:07 - Feb 7 with 1317 viewsMarottanomics

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 21:01 - Feb 7 by VetchitBack

And we'd often beat Palace.

To be fair Marottanomics you're making the same point the self-styled '"right-all-along about Monk" lot were making when we were picking up scrappy points under him.

Not sure about often beating Palace. Looked a very tight game on the screen, and on this.

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 21:07 - Feb 7 with 1313 viewslondonlisa2001

If the points he made were good ones it'd actually be pretty pointless playing out the season as the strongest team in stats terms would win the league. You'd just add up the points for the players in your roster, both offence and defence and go from there ;-)
Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 21:07 - Feb 7 with 1311 viewslovejuicejack

I'd love to be attacked with lace
Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 21:08 - Feb 7 with 1304 viewsDavillin

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 20:58 - Feb 7 by Gh0st

Exactly, I hate stats.

Would you consider re-stating that to "Exactly, I don't understand statistics"?

That's the usual reason why most people who "hate" statistics "hate" statistics.

Statistics is nothing more than the mathematical science of counting and comparing numbers.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 21:09 - Feb 7 with 1286 viewslondonlisa2001

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 21:07 - Feb 7 by Marottanomics

Not sure about often beating Palace. Looked a very tight game on the screen, and on this.

Why do you keep quoting some self styled Brooklyn based baseball stat nerd who wouldn't know Bury from Grimsby in football terms?
Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 21:11 - Feb 7 with 1279 viewsunion_jack

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 21:06 - Feb 7 by exiledclaseboy

Backside? Is everyone talking gibberish tonight?

Too hasty combined with spellcheck. It should have read Clasie!!!

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024