Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools 19:46 - Feb 7 with 18261 viewsPhil_S

Stephen Ganavas makes his Planet Swans debut with an article looking at our new manager

Full details at http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/41959
Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 21:11 - Feb 7 with 1203 viewsMarottanomics

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 21:07 - Feb 7 by londonlisa2001

If the points he made were good ones it'd actually be pretty pointless playing out the season as the strongest team in stats terms would win the league. You'd just add up the points for the players in your roster, both offence and defence and go from there ;-)

No, you're taking what I'm saying totally out of context.

What I've said is that continuing to play the way we are playing will soon no longer yield the same great rewards we are currently getting. That, contrary to your genius mind, does not mean we should just automate the season. Instead, it means the manager and players need to find a solution to their problems. :)

Stephen Ganavas - Follow me on Twitter @Marottanomics

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 21:12 - Feb 7 with 1195 viewsHighjack

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 21:07 - Feb 7 by Marottanomics

Not sure about often beating Palace. Looked a very tight game on the screen, and on this.

These splodge maps don't mean f uck all. With the exception of the goal I don't think Fabianski had a single save to make. You seem to be counting half chances, non chances and low success snapshots as important when they should be irrelevant to the discussion.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 21:14 - Feb 7 with 1189 viewsMervyn

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 21:11 - Feb 7 by Marottanomics

What I've said is that continuing to play the way we are playing will soon no longer yield the same great rewards we are currently getting. That, contrary to your genius mind, does not mean we should just automate the season. Instead, it means the manager and players need to find a solution to their problems. :)

Wonder if i could take my remote control down for the next home game.....sounds like i could influence the result
Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 21:14 - Feb 7 with 1182 viewsjackjackjackjack

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 21:12 - Feb 7 by Highjack

These splodge maps don't mean f uck all. With the exception of the goal I don't think Fabianski had a single save to make. You seem to be counting half chances, non chances and low success snapshots as important when they should be irrelevant to the discussion.

That's because we were playing Crystal Palace, who are hopeless in front of goal, and have lost their last 5 matches.

Imagine if we let Spurs have the same chances, what do you think the outcome would be?

Poll: Where will we finish in the Championship ?

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 21:15 - Feb 7 with 1172 viewsDarran

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 21:14 - Feb 7 by jackjackjackjack

That's because we were playing Crystal Palace, who are hopeless in front of goal, and have lost their last 5 matches.

Imagine if we let Spurs have the same chances, what do you think the outcome would be?

Or Everton.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 21:15 - Feb 7 with 1183 viewsBanosswan

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 19:56 - Feb 7 by Jackanapes

If I wrote an article appraising an Aussie rules football managerial appointment, it would be similarly clueless.

Couple of Aussie rules players in our back four would sort us out no end

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 21:16 - Feb 7 with 1175 viewsDarran

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 21:08 - Feb 7 by Davillin

Would you consider re-stating that to "Exactly, I don't understand statistics"?

That's the usual reason why most people who "hate" statistics "hate" statistics.

Statistics is nothing more than the mathematical science of counting and comparing numbers.

I understand them Tone and the majority of them get right on my tits.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 21:18 - Feb 7 with 1164 viewsHighjack

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 21:14 - Feb 7 by jackjackjackjack

Hang on, let me just pop into my parallel universe machine and visit the reality where we played Spurs on Saturday.

Yep, same result, 1-1.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

Login to get fewer ads

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 21:19 - Feb 7 with 1155 viewsMarottanomics

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 21:12 - Feb 7 by Highjack

Just because Fabianski did not have a save to make does not mean that a chance wasn't created?

Seamus Coleman missed a sitter from 2 yards out, but obviously it wasn't a chance then.

The xG maps take into account shot quality, how the shots are built up, whether they are headers, weak foot, have defenders in the way, are after a dribble, a cross, etc. etc. They are very detailed. Together, the expected goal values of each shot are combined to give a total number that the team was 'expected' to score that game.

I've been using the Everton map as an example of us not being punished, and gaining the three points, despite an altogether poor performance. Yes, we got the three points which is great and I'm thoroughly happy about, but it does not mean that the performance should be lauded. As a rule of thumb, presenting the opposition with those types of chances on a weekly occurence will see 3-1/3-2/2-1/2-2 results more often than Swansea wins.

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 21:22 - Feb 7 with 1133 viewslondonlisa2001

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 21:11 - Feb 7 by Marottanomics

well if you don't mind, I'll rely on someone that has been in football for over thirty years rather than someone who follows our matches 'on screen' and via some baseball fanatic's stat maps to sort it out.

Enjoy the superbowl.
Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 21:23 - Feb 7 with 1124 viewsHighjack

How many chances did Palace actually create?

The goal.

There was a glancing header from Chamakh that Williams dealt with before the goal, and thats about it.

But if Chamakh's header had gone in they wouldn't have had the corner which they had scored from and a completely different timeline would have been created.

So basically the splodge maps that you are peddling are completely useless.

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 21:24 - Feb 7 with 1119 viewsWarwickHunt

Has anyone got a link to this xG Sum chap's highlights on YouTube?

Can we get him on loan? Ki will be chuffed.
Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 21:25 - Feb 7 with 1118 viewsexiledclaseboy

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 21:19 - Feb 7 by Marottanomics

Just because Fabianski did not have a save to make does not mean that a chance wasn't created?

Seamus Coleman missed a sitter from 2 yards out, but obviously it wasn't a chance then.

The xG maps take into account shot quality, how the shots are built up, whether they are headers, weak foot, have defenders in the way, are after a dribble, a cross, etc. etc. They are very detailed. Together, the expected goal values of each shot are combined to give a total number that the team was 'expected' to score that game.

I've been using the Everton map as an example of us not being punished, and gaining the three points, despite an altogether poor performance. Yes, we got the three points which is great and I'm thoroughly happy about, but it does not mean that the performance should be lauded. As a rule of thumb, presenting the opposition with those types of chances on a weekly occurence will see 3-1/3-2/2-1/2-2 results more often than Swansea wins.

We played well enough at Everton. We were hanging on at the end, granted but that happens in football when you're playing actual games instead if just making meaningless maps.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2016 21:44]

Poll: Tory leader

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 21:26 - Feb 7 with 1110 viewslondonlisa2001

An 'altogether poor performance' by winning at Everton together with your assessment of Shelvey as being our 'best midfielder'.

Yup - you haven't a clue what you're talking about.
Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 21:26 - Feb 7 with 1110 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 21:07 - Feb 7 by londonlisa2001

If the points he made were good ones it'd actually be pretty pointless playing out the season as the strongest team in stats terms would win the league. You'd just add up the points for the players in your roster, both offence and defence and go from there ;-)

"Roster", Lisa?

It must be super bowl day or something.

Do you prefer our home or away uniform?

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 21:27 - Feb 7 with 1099 viewslonglostjack

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 20:55 - Feb 7 by Darran

They would if they scored more than the opposition.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2016 20:56]

Stop trying to confuse the issue mun.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 21:27 - Feb 7 with 1099 viewsMarottanomics

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 21:22 - Feb 7 by londonlisa2001

well if you don't mind, I'll rely on someone that has been in football for over thirty years rather than someone who follows our matches 'on screen' and via some baseball fanatic's stat maps to sort it out.

Enjoy the superbowl.

Steve Bruce has been in football for 40 years and he's still a shit manager.

I follow Swansea matches 'on screen' because sadly I can't afford to play $4,000 a matchday to fly from Melbourne to Wales to attend the Liberty.

Enjoy living in the delusions that are Swansea's 'excellent performances of late'.

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 21:28 - Feb 7 with 1086 viewsMervyn

In the next transfer window given the chance....would you sign Lionel Messi on a free orrrrr Prof Steven Hawkins for 25 million...
Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 21:30 - Feb 7 with 1072 viewslondonlisa2001

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 21:26 - Feb 7 by Joe_bradshaw

"Roster", Lisa?

It must be super bowl day or something.

Do you prefer our home or away uniform?

I was simply adopting the language that appears to be in vogue for watching the premier league these days.

Because some baseball spod from Brooklyn appears to know more about our performance at Everton or elsewhere than any of us here do.

I hate our away uniform as it happens :-)
Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 21:30 - Feb 7 with 1061 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 20:04 - Feb 7 by Marottanomics

Brutal. I'd love to know your thoughts then?

I'll agree that he doesn't have the tools solely because his favoured formation is 352 . Our present full backs can't play that system and we'd need two new central defenders.

Where I'll disagree is that Jonjo Shelvey is no inler or anyone else. Least of all a Gerrard

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 21:31 - Feb 7 with 1056 viewslondonlisa2001

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 21:27 - Feb 7 by Marottanomics

Steve Bruce has been in football for 40 years and he's still a shit manager.

I follow Swansea matches 'on screen' because sadly I can't afford to play $4,000 a matchday to fly from Melbourne to Wales to attend the Liberty.

Enjoy living in the delusions that are Swansea's 'excellent performances of late'.

and your last sentence sums your attitude up.

Bye bye.
Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 21:31 - Feb 7 with 1056 viewsjackjackjackjack

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 21:25 - Feb 7 by exiledclaseboy

We played well enough at Everton. We were hanging on at the end, granted but that happens in football when you're playing actual games instead if just making meaningless maps.

We were "hanging on at the end" against West Brom, how did that turn out?

Poll: Where will we finish in the Championship ?

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 21:31 - Feb 7 with 1050 viewsmonmouth

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 21:25 - Feb 7 by exiledclaseboy

Stats of what has happened are pointless; we need stats of what would have happened if what had happened hadn't happened. And stats of what would have happened if what hadn't happened had happened. Thats what we need. Definitely.

The most accurate thing in this thread is mistaking 'Clase' for 'Arse'.

Edit: the location I hasten to add not the poster

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 21:32 - Feb 7 with 1042 viewsWarwickHunt

He lost me at "a cyclist by nature".

Eh?
Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 21:33 - Feb 7 with 1033 viewsexiledclaseboy

Guidolin: Right Man, Wrong Tools on 21:31 - Feb 7 by jackjackjackjack

We were "hanging on at the end" against West Brom, how did that turn out?

We drew. That happens sometimes as well.

Poll: Tory leader

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024