Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
75th Anniversary of the Swansea Blitz 07:25 - Feb 9 with 1421 viewsbarry_island

19 - 21 February 2016. Are the club doing anything to commemorate this on Saturday? There is a commemoration service in St Mary's on Sat 20th but I've not heard of anything else.

I'm sure that like my Mam many of our elder fans still remember the time and would want to mark it respectfully.

Swansea City, THE Austerity Club.

75th Anniversary of the Swansea Blitz on 07:45 - Feb 9 with 1400 viewsdickythorpe

There is a play in the Grand Theatre.
75th Anniversary of the Swansea Blitz on 22:41 - Feb 10 with 1246 viewslancasterswan

If you can't do anything else it's at least worth stopping for a minute and just try to imagine what the carnage was like. 48 hours of absolute hell.

Tadcu was a primary school teacher in town and Somme veteran and volunteer firewatcher, Mamgu took my father out of town and kept him walking until the police stopped them somewhere near Crosshands as they were on the way to Llanarth, 60 miles away, on foot with a wheelbarrow of bedding and valuables. My father's great recollection is that he'd done badly in the General Certificate the summer before and when he saw Swansea Grammar School in ruins his first thought was that they had lost all those records. They were evacuated to Carmarthen and ironically I spent most of my secondary career in the same place as he did.
75th Anniversary of the Swansea Blitz on 22:58 - Feb 10 with 1225 viewsGlyn1

The RAF are bombing civilians in Iraq, what more do you want?

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

75th Anniversary of the Swansea Blitz on 23:39 - Feb 10 with 1199 viewslancasterswan

75th Anniversary of the Swansea Blitz on 22:58 - Feb 10 by Glyn1

I don't want any of it mate, it's evil. We found Tadcu's WWI medals still in their brown envelope with a certificate in the attic where he'd put them when he was 21. I wish all these religious and political zealots would just phuck off so we could try and build a half decent society, all the muslims, christians, hindus, bhuddists, the damn lot of them. Waste of time.
75th Anniversary of the Swansea Blitz on 00:22 - Feb 11 with 1171 viewssully49

Lest we forget. For OUR tomorrow they gave their today.

Poll: Is there any way for Lee Trundle to play in this squad?

75th Anniversary of the Swansea Blitz on 13:18 - Feb 11 with 1047 viewslondonlisa2001

My auntie Connie lost her entire family - parents and siblings - with a direct hit. She was at her friend's house when the sirens started so missed it.

Mad as a hatter she was, understandably, but I simply cannot imagine what that was like. May they all rest in peace.
75th Anniversary of the Swansea Blitz on 15:14 - Feb 11 with 1019 viewsFieryJack

I read somewhere that the fatalities were laid out on the pitch at the Vetch.

Thanks to the Luftwaffe, and the cheapo rebuilding that went on in the 1950s, Swansea city centre ended up with some pretty dull post-war architecture on the Kingsway and parts of Oxford Street and the High Street. Rivalled, I'm told, by Plymouth, which was bombed on a similar scale.

If you stand at the top end of Orchard Street on a bright sunny morning and look at the side of the Old Police Station you can still clearly, and quite dramatically, see a large swathe of pockmarks in the red brickwork, caused by sprays of rubble thrown up by German bombs which fell nearby.

Would not have been good to be in the way of that. Someone told me that nearby in Alexandra Road, near where the magistrates court now stands, a detached hand was found stuck to a wall. I don't think most people in Swansea under the age of 30 or 40 are even aware of the Swansea Blitz - or would be interested if told.
75th Anniversary of the Swansea Blitz on 16:09 - Feb 11 with 999 viewsFlashberryjack

75th Anniversary of the Swansea Blitz on 22:58 - Feb 10 by Glyn1

What the f*ck has that got to do with the anniversary of the Swansea Blitz.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Login to get fewer ads

75th Anniversary of the Swansea Blitz on 16:21 - Feb 11 with 992 viewsOldjack

75th Anniversary of the Swansea Blitz on 16:09 - Feb 11 by Flashberryjack

What the f*ck has that got to do with the anniversary of the Swansea Blitz.

Init ,had Hitler had his way he and many others would not have existed

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

75th Anniversary of the Swansea Blitz on 19:57 - Feb 11 with 924 viewsbarry_island

So does anyone know if anything is planned for Saturday?

230+ people died in Swansea in those 3 days, hundreds more were injured and our city changed forever. It would seem strange for our team not to mark it in some way.

Swansea City, THE Austerity Club.

75th Anniversary of the Swansea Blitz on 20:01 - Feb 11 with 916 viewsFlashberryjack

75th Anniversary of the Swansea Blitz on 19:57 - Feb 11 by barry_island

So does anyone know if anything is planned for Saturday?

230+ people died in Swansea in those 3 days, hundreds more were injured and our city changed forever. It would seem strange for our team not to mark it in some way.

We always play the Air Raid Siren as the teams run on to the pitch.......maybe we should play play it every time the opposition get a corner.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024