Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. 20:06 - Feb 9 with 9261 viewsChrisSCFC

Expecting a good few down arrows for this but I don't think Jack Cork is all he's cracked up to be by the majority of our fans.

His apparent designated position is a defensive midfielder yet it's Leon who does the vast majority of breaking up opposition play, Cork runs his bollocks off but he doesn't read the game like Leon does and IMO the game seems to pass him by at times.

I'd also go as far to say that Leon is more effective going forward than JC who's attacking prowess is on a par with Neil Taylor's.

Sadly with the way Ki's playing we look a bit light in terms of midfield options...
Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 09:03 - Feb 10 with 1934 viewsdailew

No criticism of either but I think a midfield with both Cork and Leon lack a bit of creativity. Ok as part of a diamond perhaps but not a 3 man midfield.

Big fan of Cork. Great attitude and one of the biggest bargains we've ever signed. IMHO. Ideal replacement for Leon once he inevitably retires,

Poll: Would you like Rodgers back as the new manager ?

Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 09:05 - Feb 10 with 1932 viewsEasternJack

Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 09:03 - Feb 10 by dailew

No criticism of either but I think a midfield with both Cork and Leon lack a bit of creativity. Ok as part of a diamond perhaps but not a 3 man midfield.

Big fan of Cork. Great attitude and one of the biggest bargains we've ever signed. IMHO. Ideal replacement for Leon once he inevitably retires,

I agree. going to this formation requires us to recruit 2 new 1st team wingbacks to really make it work.

Poll: Hull vs Middlesborough - What do we want?

Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 09:13 - Feb 10 with 1924 viewsnantywatcher

Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 09:05 - Feb 10 by EasternJack

I agree. going to this formation requires us to recruit 2 new 1st team wingbacks to really make it work.

Leon's performance against Palace was stunning, but there are too many blinkered views of him - he gives away too much possession for my liking, but I'm not saying anything because he's bullet proof on P.S..
Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 10:31 - Feb 10 with 1871 viewsjohnlangy

Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 21:06 - Feb 9 by Joe_bradshaw

I agree.

Nottingham Forest - play off at the Liberty.

Who could forget.
Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 10:34 - Feb 10 with 1871 viewsportsidejack

couldn't agree more with what you say about leon its got to be his last season at this level,
our problem lies with a lot of our supporters are blind to the fact.
Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 11:16 - Feb 10 with 1836 viewsdameedna

Any fan will know that Leon was almost on his bike last year.
He is giving some possession away but at 80 minutes he is still running and attacking which he has not done for a while.
The point of this thread is that it may be Cork has summat to do with that.
Cork has been playing out of position because Leon is proving his worth to 2 managers.
Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 11:24 - Feb 10 with 1828 viewsdeanscfc

Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 21:07 - Feb 9 by skippyjack

Cork and recently Ayew or Ki.. have been playing the defensive midfield press on the left and right.. moving up in stages like the rugby.. they all take positions in turns like a cycle when going forward..

Our problem in our current formation, is that our fullbacks are not very good at it.. i thought Taylor had cracked it at Everton.. then played like a c*nt against West Brom.. Same for Rangel against Palace..

Our full backs must be up there as the weakest in the league.

Taylor tries hard but he's not got the quality. Also would wish he's stay out of the media and focus on his game.

Rangel has been brilliant for us but is aging.

Naugton...
Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 11:31 - Feb 10 with 1812 viewsTrundle10

Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 21:17 - Feb 9 by pencoedjack

Also agree

me too
Login to get fewer ads

Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 13:05 - Feb 10 with 1749 viewsjasper_T

Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 11:24 - Feb 10 by deanscfc

Our full backs must be up there as the weakest in the league.

Taylor tries hard but he's not got the quality. Also would wish he's stay out of the media and focus on his game.

Rangel has been brilliant for us but is aging.

Naugton...

Cameron Borthwick Jackson
Danny Simpson
Danny Rose
Kyle Walker
Brian Oviedo
Paul Dummett
Souare

They're just the ones I can think of. Who plays full-back for Bournemouth, Watford, West Brom etc.? It's a weakness for lots of teams.
Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 13:07 - Feb 10 with 1735 viewsHighjack

Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 09:13 - Feb 10 by nantywatcher

Leon's performance against Palace was stunning, but there are too many blinkered views of him - he gives away too much possession for my liking, but I'm not saying anything because he's bullet proof on P.S..

And so he should be you heathen disbeliever!

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 14:08 - Feb 10 with 1699 viewsWhiterockin

Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 00:02 - Feb 10 by Davillin

A quibble: I don't think that Monk left him out "for no reason."

Note, please, that I do not know the reason, nor the reason for Monk's leaving other good players out.

Nor can I explain why he didn't recognize, or at least do something about, the impact these actions had on the team and the team's success rate.

Leaving players out for no reason, probably cost monk his job.
[Post edited 10 Feb 2016 14:08]
Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 14:14 - Feb 10 with 1686 viewsPatchesOHoulihan

Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 09:13 - Feb 10 by nantywatcher

Think you'll find he hasn't been bullet proof on here for the last couple of years

According to some
Canas was better
Cork was better

I think we all wanted someone else to come in and push us on but the reason people are giving him so much credit is his performances since he's been back in the team.

You may be the only person who thinks he gives away too much possession, everyone is allowed a slip or a miscontrol at times - it's what happens after you've done it that counts

This is Patches O'Houlihan saying "Take care of your balls, and they'll take care of you."

Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 14:35 - Feb 10 with 1675 viewsshandyjack

Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 13:05 - Feb 10 by jasper_T

Cameron Borthwick Jackson
Danny Simpson
Danny Rose
Kyle Walker
Brian Oviedo
Paul Dummett
Souare

They're just the ones I can think of. Who plays full-back for Bournemouth, Watford, West Brom etc.? It's a weakness for lots of teams.

Rose, Simpson and Walker would walk into our team

Poll: Expectation for the season

Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 15:42 - Feb 10 with 1643 viewsPatchesOHoulihan

Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 14:35 - Feb 10 by shandyjack

Rose, Simpson and Walker would walk into our team

Not for me

They can't defend

This is Patches O'Houlihan saying "Take care of your balls, and they'll take care of you."

Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 16:20 - Feb 10 with 1612 viewsjack247

As others have said, Cork is a solid holding midfielder, he is just being played out of position. He isn't a box to box midfielder, flair player or playmaker.

We simply don't have the strength in depth or the type of player ideally suited to the role he is being asked to play. He won't be Leon's successor in terms of playing the same way, but he may well be asked to slot in between the centre backs, carry the ball out of defence and break up play just behind the other midfielders as Leon does now. I think he would be pretty good at that role.
Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 00:38 - Feb 11 with 1337 viewsJJJack

Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 15:42 - Feb 10 by PatchesOHoulihan

Not for me

They can't defend

You think rose and Walker "can't defend". Yeah they are Tottenham's 1st choice FBs and this is Tottenham who have the best defensive record in the Prem ?!
Bizarrre.
Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 08:06 - Feb 11 with 1293 viewsshandyjack

Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 15:42 - Feb 10 by PatchesOHoulihan

Not for me

They can't defend

they all start for teams in the top 4, Spurs have been great defensively this season. Not sure if you want you are looking for in a full back then.

Also i said they'd walk into our team, you say not for me. Does that mean you think Rangel/Taylor are better choices than Rose/Walker?
[Post edited 11 Feb 2016 8:07]

Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 10:12 - Feb 11 with 1250 viewsjasper_T

Spurs defensive record this season is down to how they are using Dier as an anchor in midfield. This has freed their full-backs to push on in a way they always did before, but without the huge problems it used to cause for them.

Walker's positional sense is awful, but he has the pace to make up for it in most situations. Rose commits basic errors every time I see him play.
Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 10:19 - Feb 11 with 1246 viewsshandyjack

Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 10:12 - Feb 11 by jasper_T

Spurs defensive record this season is down to how they are using Dier as an anchor in midfield. This has freed their full-backs to push on in a way they always did before, but without the huge problems it used to cause for them.

Walker's positional sense is awful, but he has the pace to make up for it in most situations. Rose commits basic errors every time I see him play.

but would you have Rangel/Taylor ahead of them in your team

Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 11:18 - Feb 11 with 1227 viewsjasper_T

Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 10:19 - Feb 11 by shandyjack

but would you have Rangel/Taylor ahead of them in your team

I'd play Taylor & Walker, depending on how well the latter might handle playing in a weaker side at the other end of the table. Personally I feel his weaknesses would be exposed more so than they are at Tottenham.
Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 11:22 - Feb 11 with 1223 viewsshandyjack

Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 11:18 - Feb 11 by jasper_T

I'd play Taylor & Walker, depending on how well the latter might handle playing in a weaker side at the other end of the table. Personally I feel his weaknesses would be exposed more so than they are at Tottenham.

So you'd pick Taylor over a player that the Spurs manager thinks is better than the LB who used to keep Taylor out of our team?

Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 11:32 - Feb 11 with 1221 viewsjasper_T

Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 11:22 - Feb 11 by shandyjack

So you'd pick Taylor over a player that the Spurs manager thinks is better than the LB who used to keep Taylor out of our team?

Yep.

Rose's skillset is better suited to Spurs style of play. And Poch is rotating them, which he certainly doesn't do for every positional rivalry in his squad. There's a degree of parity, even though Rose is considered favourite for their league fixtures.

Rose is a converted midfielder, and it shows both in how he defends (awareness of the defensive line, tracking of his man) and how well he contributes to the attack.

We seem to be moving towards either 3 at the back or a more Spurs-like system with advanced full-backs, but in these early stages the defensive ability of our full-backs is still the most important thing imo.
Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 11:43 - Feb 11 with 1209 viewsjack247

Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 11:32 - Feb 11 by jasper_T

Yep.

Rose's skillset is better suited to Spurs style of play. And Poch is rotating them, which he certainly doesn't do for every positional rivalry in his squad. There's a degree of parity, even though Rose is considered favourite for their league fixtures.

Rose is a converted midfielder, and it shows both in how he defends (awareness of the defensive line, tracking of his man) and how well he contributes to the attack.

We seem to be moving towards either 3 at the back or a more Spurs-like system with advanced full-backs, but in these early stages the defensive ability of our full-backs is still the most important thing imo.

I'd agree with that. I think Taylor is better defensively than either Rose or Davies. We are playing in a system where our full back is protected by the midfield rather than a winger, so there are bound to be situations where he is exposed.

He is not as good as Davies going forward and nowhere near as good as Rose, but that's not our priority at the moment. He has more attacking responsibility in the current formation, but he is still essentially a defender.
Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 11:47 - Feb 11 with 1204 viewsjasper_T

Taylor does have the pace and stamina to play in that kind of system, which will make him a valuable squad member should we buy a more creative replacement. There's a lot of running required (another strength of Rose over Davies).
Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 12:22 - Feb 11 with 1183 viewsDrGonzo

Taylor is saved by the fact that he's usually a decent defender. Going forward he's an absolute shambles.

Defensively he does tend to get sucked in a lot. So obvious at times, he commits himself to closing down a player like Zaha last week and then he gets murdered.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024