Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Brian Flynn era 10:13 - Feb 11 with 9505 viewsStarsky

Please somebody explain this to me once and for all, so I can get my head around it.
The great escape in 2003 during Flynns tenure is where we have come from to this wonderful era that had seen us listed as one of the richest Football clubs in the world (top 30).
It's well documented on here that his hands on efforts at the club were increasingly found wanting.
However, I don't get the occasional comments that are posted here whenever there's a manager thread.
Dav recently posted that he didn't have a lot to do with us staying up and I know Darran and Jobs have similar views. I'm not contesting this, I'm just trying to understand the viewpoint.
Here's my take on the Flynn era...

In comes Flynn and he brings Kevin Reeves with him.
In come Tate, Britton, Martinez, Thomas, Jonrose and we escape the drop by the skin of our teeth.
The next season sees the permanent return of Britton, Tate and the arrival of Lee Trundle who dropped a division to join us and Andy Robinson plucked from Cammel Laird.
So many of those players have been a great part of our success. Martinez started the Swansea pass and move game, Tate captained us in our first ever Premier league game. Britton is still playing for us.

If Flynn is not responsible for all this then who was?
And... If you say Reeves... Who brought him to the club? Wasn't it Flynn?

I'm confused. Help me out here.
Anybody who starts by "why are you bringing this up, let's move on etc"
Just Feck off and let the ones who want to discuss it get on with it.

It's just the internet, init.

The Brian Flynn era on 13:20 - Feb 11 with 1642 viewsUxbridge

The truth as ever is somewhere in between.

We were a shambles before he arrived .... we'd recruited cheaply and badly in the summer (ah the halcyon days of the open trials) under Cusack, before realisation hit on both the squad and the manager. Flynn came in and the purse strings were more than loosened ... we spent relatively big in bringing in the likes of Tate, Leon, Martinez, Johnrose, Nugent etc. I suspect by the end of the piece we would have been near the top payers in the division.

Undoubtedly we'd have got relegated without that change in personnel. and some of those signings were so stellar we've reaped the rewards for many years since. However , as a coach was Flynn a help or a hindrance? You can make either case dpeending on how you judge it. His remit was to keep us in the league and he did that. However it went to the wire when many would argue it really shouldn't have. Plus any manager who only turns up a couple of days a week and delegates most of the duties to his other staff is always going to leave himself open to criticism.

So, pays your money and takes your choice. I tend to fall into the camp that judges him a success overall, largely due to his legacy and at least not seeing us relegated.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

The Brian Flynn era on 13:21 - Feb 11 with 1625 viewslondonlisa2001

The Brian Flynn era on 13:20 - Feb 11 by Uxbridge

The truth as ever is somewhere in between.

We were a shambles before he arrived .... we'd recruited cheaply and badly in the summer (ah the halcyon days of the open trials) under Cusack, before realisation hit on both the squad and the manager. Flynn came in and the purse strings were more than loosened ... we spent relatively big in bringing in the likes of Tate, Leon, Martinez, Johnrose, Nugent etc. I suspect by the end of the piece we would have been near the top payers in the division.

Undoubtedly we'd have got relegated without that change in personnel. and some of those signings were so stellar we've reaped the rewards for many years since. However , as a coach was Flynn a help or a hindrance? You can make either case dpeending on how you judge it. His remit was to keep us in the league and he did that. However it went to the wire when many would argue it really shouldn't have. Plus any manager who only turns up a couple of days a week and delegates most of the duties to his other staff is always going to leave himself open to criticism.

So, pays your money and takes your choice. I tend to fall into the camp that judges him a success overall, largely due to his legacy and at least not seeing us relegated.

Perfectly sums up my thoughts on him as well.
The Brian Flynn era on 13:37 - Feb 11 with 1596 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Cusack gets a huge amount of flack for an insane appointment by the board. He was a complete rookie who was told to put a team together with no money. Not surprisingly it was a calamity but he shouldn't have been put in that position in the first place and no one should forget Cusack's work here when Petty was wreaking havoc.

Flynn took one look at the squad and told the board we were going down unless they loosened the purse strings and allowed him to sign and loan players. Fortunately they listened but we should easily have survived before the last day if we had been well managed by someone who showed commitment to the cause.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

The Brian Flynn era on 13:45 - Feb 11 with 1580 viewsswancity

The Brian Flynn era on 13:37 - Feb 11 by Joe_bradshaw

Cusack gets a huge amount of flack for an insane appointment by the board. He was a complete rookie who was told to put a team together with no money. Not surprisingly it was a calamity but he shouldn't have been put in that position in the first place and no one should forget Cusack's work here when Petty was wreaking havoc.

Flynn took one look at the squad and told the board we were going down unless they loosened the purse strings and allowed him to sign and loan players. Fortunately they listened but we should easily have survived before the last day if we had been well managed by someone who showed commitment to the cause.

Sorry my friend but we were as good as down in January. From then our form transformed into play off form which was just enough to rescue the position. Bit by bit we got there. You seem to be suggesting that suddenly we put together a Real Madrid. We had signed several good players who supplemented our local players like Coates. And the keeper who kept Freestone out of the side made a difference too...

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

The Brian Flynn era on 13:47 - Feb 11 with 1577 viewsjack247

The Brian Flynn era on 13:37 - Feb 11 by Joe_bradshaw

Cusack was a massive loser in all of this. It would have been very difficult for him to say no to taking charge, but he was on an absolute hiding to nothing.i know he carved out a decent career for himself, with the PFA I think, but he had no chance of anyone giving him a chance as a manager after what happened with us.
The Brian Flynn era on 13:59 - Feb 11 with 1557 viewsoldcob

The problem with Brian was that his wife wouldn't move from her family in Burnley so he was torn between Swansea city and his missus and was trying to juggle the two of them. The board knew this before hiring him, but it was also the reason they finally dispensed with his services, because it was an impossible task. Even though I don't blame the board because the situation meant, as Darren correctly points out, that he couldn't give Swansea City the time required of their manager. He still did some very good work the time he was here though IMHO.
The Brian Flynn era on 14:08 - Feb 11 with 1545 viewsEasternJack

Wasn't Molby also commuting...?

Also - I have a recollection that we almost re-hired Yorath at some point but it broke down as he wouldn't move back to the area. Am I making this up?
[Post edited 11 Feb 2016 14:12]

Poll: Hull vs Middlesborough - What do we want?

The Brian Flynn era on 14:46 - Feb 11 with 1488 viewsJoe_bradshaw

The Brian Flynn era on 13:45 - Feb 11 by swancity

Sorry my friend but we were as good as down in January. From then our form transformed into play off form which was just enough to rescue the position. Bit by bit we got there. You seem to be suggesting that suddenly we put together a Real Madrid. We had signed several good players who supplemented our local players like Coates. And the keeper who kept Freestone out of the side made a difference too...

If we were as good as down in January what was Flynn doing from September 18th when he was appointed until then? Taking training from Burnley by phone no doubt.

Flynn was given resources that were clearly needed and to his credit he brought some excellent players to the club but to his discredit he failed to make them play well as a team with his part time approach to the job which led to his sacking in the following spring.

Login to get fewer ads

The Brian Flynn era on 15:02 - Feb 11 with 1459 viewsswancity

The Brian Flynn era on 14:46 - Feb 11 by Joe_bradshaw

If we were as good as down in January what was Flynn doing from September 18th when he was appointed until then? Taking training from Burnley by phone no doubt.

Flynn was given resources that were clearly needed and to his credit he brought some excellent players to the club but to his discredit he failed to make them play well as a team with his part time approach to the job which led to his sacking in the following spring.

Gradually weeding out the Cusack rubbish, bringing in new players and getting them to gel on the pitch. All of that takes a few months esp when presented with the complete mess which was SCFC on his arrival. Did you see us play Kidderminster?

The Brian Flynn era on 15:03 - Feb 11 with 1457 viewsDarran

How the f*ck can you be as good as down?

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

The Brian Flynn era on 15:14 - Feb 11 with 1421 viewsJoe_bradshaw

The Brian Flynn era on 15:02 - Feb 11 by swancity

Gradually weeding out the Cusack rubbish, bringing in new players and getting them to gel on the pitch. All of that takes a few months esp when presented with the complete mess which was SCFC on his arrival. Did you see us play Kidderminster?

Yes I did.

If Flynn had worked a four or five day week let alone six or seven like other managers he would probably have done a better job and not been sacked the following season.

The Brian Flynn era on 15:19 - Feb 11 with 1413 viewsDarran

The Brian Flynn era on 15:14 - Feb 11 by Joe_bradshaw

Yes I did.

If Flynn had worked a four or five day week let alone six or seven like other managers he would probably have done a better job and not been sacked the following season.

Absolutely and we'd have been safe long before the Hull game.
The little prick didn't give a toss about us.

The Brian Flynn era on 15:38 - Feb 11 with 1386 viewsswancity

The Brian Flynn era on 15:19 - Feb 11 by Darran

Absolutely and we'd have been safe long before the Hull game.
The little prick didn't give a toss about us.

Not like you to make uninformed, daft, nonsensical, unbalanced remarks on a subject you know virtually nothing about Prosser.

The Brian Flynn era on 15:40 - Feb 11 with 1377 viewsswancity

The Brian Flynn era on 15:14 - Feb 11 by Joe_bradshaw

Yes I did.

Yes why on earth wasnt he scouting in the North and in Swansea at the same time, makes sense.

The Brian Flynn era on 16:32 - Feb 11 with 1337 viewsHighjack

As someone has already alluded to in his second season he played a bizarre formation with an out and out right winger but absolutely nothing down the left, and teams figured that out fairly quickly and just had a f ucking field day against Howard/Hylton/whatever poor sod was left back at the time. This led to a lot of high scoring exciting games but ultimately we faded badly and finished mid table.

Hack it Jackett came in and made us more solid.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

The Brian Flynn era on 18:08 - Feb 11 with 1228 viewsblaenaugwentjack

The Brian Flynn era on 10:56 - Feb 11 by Darran

Mate believe me his behaviour in the first season want acceptable.

Niether is yours on here, Thick cu,t
The Brian Flynn era on 18:14 - Feb 11 with 1224 viewsDarran

The Brian Flynn era on 18:08 - Feb 11 by blaenaugwentjack

Niether is yours on here, Thick cu,t

Yeah but that's not risking the future of Swanswa City you thicker c*nt.

The Brian Flynn era on 18:22 - Feb 11 with 1212 viewsblaenaugwentjack

The Brian Flynn era on 18:14 - Feb 11 by Darran

Yeah but that's not risking the future of Swanswa City you thicker c*nt.

He was not risking the future of scfc, he was rescuing them, you stupid dumb ass tw,t.
The Brian Flynn era on 18:25 - Feb 11 with 1197 viewsblaenaugwentjack

Flynn was and still is my favourite swans manager on the playing field.
The Brian Flynn era on 18:30 - Feb 11 with 1188 viewsDarran

The Brian Flynn era on 18:25 - Feb 11 by blaenaugwentjack

Flynn was and still is my favourite swans manager on the playing field.

You must be a right tw*t then.

The Brian Flynn era on 18:32 - Feb 11 with 1179 viewsblaenaugwentjack

The Brian Flynn era on 13:47 - Feb 11 by jack247

Cusack was a massive loser in all of this. It would have been very difficult for him to say no to taking charge, but he was on an absolute hiding to nothing.i know he carved out a decent career for himself, with the PFA I think, but he had no chance of anyone giving him a chance as a manager after what happened with us.

Cusask didnt help himself by picking himself as a striker? wtf was that all about? Yeah pick yourself if you think your good enough, but he was never a front man sorry.
The Brian Flynn era on 18:38 - Feb 11 with 1162 viewsblaenaugwentjack

The Brian Flynn era on 18:30 - Feb 11 by Darran

You must be a right tw*t then.

yes i am, unlike you , who s comments on here are gospel and the height of enlightenment and knowledge? And all because this guy kept us inthe football league.
The Brian Flynn era on 18:39 - Feb 11 with 1160 viewsHighjack

The Brian Flynn era on 18:32 - Feb 11 by blaenaugwentjack

Cusask didnt help himself by picking himself as a striker? wtf was that all about? Yeah pick yourself if you think your good enough, but he was never a front man sorry.

Cusack spent most of his career as a striker. Not a very good one but a striker nonetheless

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

The Brian Flynn era on 18:43 - Feb 11 with 1154 viewsDarran

The Brian Flynn era on 18:38 - Feb 11 by blaenaugwentjack

yes i am, unlike you , who s comments on here are gospel and the height of enlightenment and knowledge? And all because this guy kept us inthe football league.

The truth hurts.

The Brian Flynn era on 18:56 - Feb 11 with 1138 viewsblaenaugwentjack

The Brian Flynn era on 18:43 - Feb 11 by Darran

The truth hurts.

Not as much as its going to hurt you.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024