Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Brian Flynn era 10:13 - Feb 11 with 9431 viewsStarsky

Please somebody explain this to me once and for all, so I can get my head around it.
The great escape in 2003 during Flynns tenure is where we have come from to this wonderful era that had seen us listed as one of the richest Football clubs in the world (top 30).
It's well documented on here that his hands on efforts at the club were increasingly found wanting.
However, I don't get the occasional comments that are posted here whenever there's a manager thread.
Dav recently posted that he didn't have a lot to do with us staying up and I know Darran and Jobs have similar views. I'm not contesting this, I'm just trying to understand the viewpoint.
Here's my take on the Flynn era...

In comes Flynn and he brings Kevin Reeves with him.
In come Tate, Britton, Martinez, Thomas, Jonrose and we escape the drop by the skin of our teeth.
The next season sees the permanent return of Britton, Tate and the arrival of Lee Trundle who dropped a division to join us and Andy Robinson plucked from Cammel Laird.
So many of those players have been a great part of our success. Martinez started the Swansea pass and move game, Tate captained us in our first ever Premier league game. Britton is still playing for us.

If Flynn is not responsible for all this then who was?
And... If you say Reeves... Who brought him to the club? Wasn't it Flynn?

I'm confused. Help me out here.
Anybody who starts by "why are you bringing this up, let's move on etc"
Just Feck off and let the ones who want to discuss it get on with it.

It's just the internet, init.

The Brian Flynn era on 06:57 - Feb 12 with 1467 viewsjack247

The Brian Flynn era on 01:02 - Feb 12 by Starsky

After reading all the replies to my thread, it's clear to me that Brian Flynn was found wanting in putting the hours in. I know you were pretty close to the club at this time and I hear what yoh say.
However the key players signed during his tenure set us on our way. Quite incredible really.
Somebody has to take huge credit for that.
So... Would that be the board, Reeves or Flynn?

All three probably played a big part in that.

In terms of Flynn, there is a reverence towards him for keeping us up, mainly due to the drama of that Hull game. As others have mentioned, if it wasn't for a late winner at Carlisle, we would
have been relying on Exeter to lose and would have gone down, he would then have been judged as one of the worst managers in our history.

If we had beaten, or even drawn with Exeter at home a few weeks before, we would have been safe going into the final day, it would have been written off as an awful season and he would have been pretty much forgotten about. The drama of how we stayed up masks the fact that he achieved the very minimum expected and did it by the skin of his teeth.

On the flip side, the squad he inherited was abject, he couldn't change it until the transfer window and his/Reeves recruitment was sensational.
The Brian Flynn era on 07:21 - Feb 12 with 1449 viewsKilkennyjack

The Brian Flynn era on 23:24 - Feb 11 by Swanseajill

Fairer play to Kevin Reeves who was at all the training sessions, travelled with the players to away matches...and home again.
Actually knew the names of his squad players, and had the novel idea of actually living in the area.

There is really more to a quality playing squad than one man that can get us out of trouble. It's an all round effort of the back room staff, the physio's etc. KR was a true professional who nurtured those players to push that much harder, obviously taking instructions from BF.
I find it hard to understand why so many fans think all our efforts are due to one man rather than the collected efforts of everyone involved on the staff as a whole.
[Post edited 11 Feb 2016 23:29]

Of course I did not say any of that. Football is a team game so clearly one man alone cant do everything. Not even your mr reeves ....

What I said was that Flynn brought Cutler in when we needed a keeper, and he was proven to be a top keeper. Great signing. Fact.

Beware of the Risen People

The Brian Flynn era on 10:27 - Feb 12 with 1364 viewsNewhousemustscore

I admit it - I did think we were doomed in September. Nick Cusack was clueless. I always remember him insisting on playing 5'7" Terry Evans (from Barry Town) in the centre of defence. It was obvious he & most of the team weren't up to it. It was always gonna take Flynn/Reeves a while to overhaul the entire squad. Slowly, out went Evans, Paul Reid, David Smith etc &in came a whole new team, without spending any money. New players (Trundle, Robbo etc) signed the following season - once again, without spending any money. Value for money wise he probably made the best signings of any manager. He should have lived here, but the only target he was ever given was to keep us up & give us the stepping stone to push on the following season- job done.
The Brian Flynn era on 13:37 - Feb 12 with 1322 viewsLoyal

The Brian Flynn era on 10:35 - Feb 11 by shandyjack

http://www.90min.com/posts/967287-brian-flynn-the-forgotten-man-in-swansea-s-his

There's a lot of forgotten people airbrushed from Swansea City history.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

The Brian Flynn era on 14:26 - Feb 12 with 1290 viewsdailew

Didn't Flynn also take us on our best FA Cup run since the 60s? (5th round)

Poll: Would you like Rodgers back as the new manager ?

The Brian Flynn era on 14:34 - Feb 12 with 1274 viewsJackanapes

The Brian Flynn era on 14:26 - Feb 12 by dailew

Didn't Flynn also take us on our best FA Cup run since the 60s? (5th round)

No, that was the players. He was only responsible for the bad stuff apparantly.

“The stupidest thing she knew was for people to act like they knew all about the things they knew absolutely nothing about.”

The Brian Flynn era on 17:56 - Feb 12 with 1203 viewsDavillin

The relationship between manager and players is not always symbiotic. Nor is it always clear who gets the credit in this matter [at least not as clear as some posters -- on both sides of the argument -- have argued].

In the Flynn conundrum, was it Flynn who took a relatively average team with relatively average players to safety? Or was it a relatively average team with relatively average players who took Flynn to near god/hero status as saviour of Swansea City f.c.?

I am reminded of Garry Monk's two-season odyssey. Ask yourself, (1) was it Monk or the players who took Swansea City to relative success in 2014-5? and (2) Was it Monk or the players who took the team to near relegation in 2015-6?

Nearly everything in life is neither black nor white, but shades of gray

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

The Brian Flynn era on 18:03 - Feb 12 with 1191 viewsVetchitBack

It's quite simple. Those who think he didn't have a lot to do with keeping us up are wrong.

Maybe we should have got someone who worked 18 hour days and sent us down?

The orthodox are always orthodox, regardless of the orthodoxy.

Login to get fewer ads

The Brian Flynn era on 21:09 - Feb 12 with 1141 viewsDavillin

The Brian Flynn era on 18:03 - Feb 12 by VetchitBack

It's quite simple. Those who think he didn't have a lot to do with keeping us up are wrong.

Maybe we should have got someone who worked 18 hour days and sent us down?

Well, now, there's an opinion for the ages.

Can we start a bucket collection to have those first two sentences cut in granite and put in a place of honour at the Liberty? "It's quite simple. Those who think he didn't have a lot to do with keeping us up are wrong."

Perhaps another pure opinion: "It's quite simple. Those who think he did have a lot to do with keeping us up are wrong." Equally worthy of enshrinement.

Perhaps Kevin Reeves "had a lot to do with keeping us up" by doing the work of the missing manager?

The Brian Flynn era on 21:16 - Feb 12 with 1117 viewsVetchitBack

The Brian Flynn era on 21:09 - Feb 12 by Davillin

Well, now, there's an opinion for the ages.

Can we start a bucket collection to have those first two sentences cut in granite and put in a place of honour at the Liberty? "It's quite simple. Those who think he didn't have a lot to do with keeping us up are wrong."

Perhaps another pure opinion: "It's quite simple. Those who think he did have a lot to do with keeping us up are wrong." Equally worthy of enshrinement.

Perhaps Kevin Reeves "had a lot to do with keeping us up" by doing the work of the missing manager?

But it is. Like Guidolin when he keeps us up.

If you come into a club that is bottom or relegation threatened and your task is to keep them up you have done your job regardless. You are given the benefit of the doubt if you succeed. And things were very bad when he took over. Whether it was all luck or delegation he did what he had to do bad more as we pushed on.

The orthodox are always orthodox, regardless of the orthodoxy.

The Brian Flynn era on 21:18 - Feb 12 with 1110 viewsshimmie

Well I had a pint with Kevin nugent a few weeks ago and he said Flynn was sound and the players loved him. I'll ask him to clarify before the Spurs game but I'm not sure that'll be enough for some.
The Brian Flynn era on 21:21 - Feb 12 with 1104 viewsDarran

The Brian Flynn era on 21:18 - Feb 12 by shimmie

Well I had a pint with Kevin nugent a few weeks ago and he said Flynn was sound and the players loved him. I'll ask him to clarify before the Spurs game but I'm not sure that'll be enough for some.

Well yeah I'm sure players would think its great if the f*cking managers hardly around.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

The Brian Flynn era on 21:25 - Feb 12 with 1079 viewsbonymine

The Brian Flynn era on 21:21 - Feb 12 by Darran

Well yeah I'm sure players would think its great if the f*cking managers hardly around.

Nuge was a great servant and I met him a few times always had our best interests at heart.

Poll: Why is this site so quiet these days ?

The Brian Flynn era on 21:33 - Feb 12 with 1059 viewsDr_Winston

Playing Kevin Nugent upfront and marooning JT out on the left was one of the main reasons we weren't safe until the final day.

Not a great shock to see Nuge (who was a decent player at that level) in favour.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The Brian Flynn era on 21:36 - Feb 12 with 1057 viewsDarran

The Brian Flynn era on 21:33 - Feb 12 by Dr_Winston

Playing Kevin Nugent upfront and marooning JT out on the left was one of the main reasons we weren't safe until the final day.

Not a great shock to see Nuge (who was a decent player at that level) in favour.

Exactly.

The Brian Flynn era on 21:48 - Feb 12 with 1045 viewsDr_Winston

The Brian Flynn era on 21:36 - Feb 12 by Darran

Exactly.

Nine goals in fourteen games before Flynn shoved him out wide. None in twenty two following. Staggeringly stupid use of a striker in form.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The Brian Flynn era on 21:49 - Feb 12 with 1036 viewsshimmie

I did surmise that it wouldn't be enough for some
The Brian Flynn era on 21:53 - Feb 12 with 1026 viewsDr_Winston

The Brian Flynn era on 21:49 - Feb 12 by shimmie

I did surmise that it wouldn't be enough for some

I got no beef with Nuge. He was one of the better targetmen around at the time and went on to be a pretty good club servant all in all.

No way should he have been leading the attack ahead of Thommo though.

The Brian Flynn era on 22:15 - Feb 12 with 1007 viewsjackonicko

I can only presume Flynn wouldn't sign an autograph for Darran once.

Anyway, I liked him until he did the wonky 4-3-3 thing in his second season, which Highjack already mentioned. Used to bug the hell out of me.
The Brian Flynn era on 22:18 - Feb 12 with 1001 viewsDavillin

The Brian Flynn era on 19:38 - Feb 11 by exiledclaseboy

Anyone who claims that Flynn worked anything less than a near miracle in his first season here is an idiot. I won't elaborate because many others have already done it well enough.
[Post edited 11 Feb 2016 20:44]

ECB: I have long admired your ability to avoid hysterical hyperbole, but you let me down with this one.

1. Your first sentence is pure opinion, to which you are entitled.

2. Your first sentence is pure hyperbole. Turning water into wine is a miracle, as is restoring someone's sight, as is bringing Lazarus back to life. Avoiding a relegation disaster in a football league doesn't even qualify as a "near miracle." An incompetent performance is not any degree of miraculous. You are entitled to use hyperbole also, but that doesn't qualify as objective analysis to support an opinion.

3. Calling posters "idiots" for not agreeing with your opinion, hardly qualifies as more than an ad hominem attack without support. You are entitled to that also, but it doesn't change the facts.

Merely referring to what "others have already" written is about as invalid to support an opinion as referring to what "others have already" written in order to support the opposing opinion.

If I remember correctly, there was an endless flood of comment from supporters to the effect that Flynn wasn't getting the job done, but I remember not a single supporter writing about his performing a "near miracle" during the season. I could be wrong.

This thread is proof again, if proof were needed, that the human mind selectively remembers or forgets whatever is necessary to maintain a dearly held romantic myth.

The Brian Flynn era on 22:51 - Feb 12 with 968 viewsjackonicko

Consider yourself scolded, Clase.
The Brian Flynn era on 22:52 - Feb 12 with 964 viewsDarran

The Brian Flynn era on 22:18 - Feb 12 by Davillin

ECB: I have long admired your ability to avoid hysterical hyperbole, but you let me down with this one.

1. Your first sentence is pure opinion, to which you are entitled.

2. Your first sentence is pure hyperbole. Turning water into wine is a miracle, as is restoring someone's sight, as is bringing Lazarus back to life. Avoiding a relegation disaster in a football league doesn't even qualify as a "near miracle." An incompetent performance is not any degree of miraculous. You are entitled to use hyperbole also, but that doesn't qualify as objective analysis to support an opinion.

3. Calling posters "idiots" for not agreeing with your opinion, hardly qualifies as more than an ad hominem attack without support. You are entitled to that also, but it doesn't change the facts.

Merely referring to what "others have already" written is about as invalid to support an opinion as referring to what "others have already" written in order to support the opposing opinion.

If I remember correctly, there was an endless flood of comment from supporters to the effect that Flynn wasn't getting the job done, but I remember not a single supporter writing about his performing a "near miracle" during the season. I could be wrong.

This thread is proof again, if proof were needed, that the human mind selectively remembers or forgets whatever is necessary to maintain a dearly held romantic myth.

Great post Tone tw*t he is.

The Brian Flynn era on 03:37 - Feb 13 with 875 viewsDavillin

The Brian Flynn era on 22:51 - Feb 12 by jackonicko

Consider yourself scolded, Clase.

Single-minded P.S. poster -- seeing what they want to see and as they are not.

ECB knows that I don't and won't "scold" him. He knows that I have much too much respect for him. He will take it exactly as I intended.

The Brian Flynn era on 04:22 - Feb 13 with 868 viewsStarsky

The Brian Flynn era on 03:37 - Feb 13 by Davillin

ECB knows that I don't and won't "scold" him. He knows that I have much too much respect for him. He will take it exactly as I intended.

What's your opinion on the signings made during his tenure Tony?
It's mainly the reason I started this thread.

It's just the internet, init.

The Brian Flynn era on 08:22 - Feb 13 with 844 viewsjackonicko

The Brian Flynn era on 03:37 - Feb 13 by Davillin

Consider myself scolded.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024