Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Brian Flynn era 10:13 - Feb 11 with 9576 viewsStarsky

Please somebody explain this to me once and for all, so I can get my head around it.
The great escape in 2003 during Flynns tenure is where we have come from to this wonderful era that had seen us listed as one of the richest Football clubs in the world (top 30).
It's well documented on here that his hands on efforts at the club were increasingly found wanting.
However, I don't get the occasional comments that are posted here whenever there's a manager thread.
Dav recently posted that he didn't have a lot to do with us staying up and I know Darran and Jobs have similar views. I'm not contesting this, I'm just trying to understand the viewpoint.
Here's my take on the Flynn era...

In comes Flynn and he brings Kevin Reeves with him.
In come Tate, Britton, Martinez, Thomas, Jonrose and we escape the drop by the skin of our teeth.
The next season sees the permanent return of Britton, Tate and the arrival of Lee Trundle who dropped a division to join us and Andy Robinson plucked from Cammel Laird.
So many of those players have been a great part of our success. Martinez started the Swansea pass and move game, Tate captained us in our first ever Premier league game. Britton is still playing for us.

If Flynn is not responsible for all this then who was?
And... If you say Reeves... Who brought him to the club? Wasn't it Flynn?

I'm confused. Help me out here.
Anybody who starts by "why are you bringing this up, let's move on etc"
Just Feck off and let the ones who want to discuss it get on with it.

It's just the internet, init.

The Brian Flynn era on 09:19 - Feb 13 with 1129 viewsJackanapes

"If I remember correctly, there was an endless flood of comment from supporters to the effect that Flynn wasn't getting the job done, but I remember not a single supporter writing about his performing a "near miracle" during the season. I could be wrong."

How could he have completed a miracle during the season, when he needed the season to end to see if his work had succeeded?

We were rock bottom in January. Just like we were when he took over. So to suggest its his fault we were down there is utter nonsense. By this point he had rebuilt the squad. Then the results started coming.
Its mystifying how some can ignore these plain facts in the pursuit of being seen to be right or to have a valid opinion. In fact, Im wrong, its not mystifying at all.
[Post edited 13 Feb 2016 9:24]

“The stupidest thing she knew was for people to act like they knew all about the things they knew absolutely nothing about.”

The Brian Flynn era on 09:36 - Feb 13 with 1098 viewsjack247

The Brian Flynn era on 09:19 - Feb 13 by Jackanapes

"If I remember correctly, there was an endless flood of comment from supporters to the effect that Flynn wasn't getting the job done, but I remember not a single supporter writing about his performing a "near miracle" during the season. I could be wrong."

How could he have completed a miracle during the season, when he needed the season to end to see if his work had succeeded?

We were rock bottom in January. Just like we were when he took over. So to suggest its his fault we were down there is utter nonsense. By this point he had rebuilt the squad. Then the results started coming.
Its mystifying how some can ignore these plain facts in the pursuit of being seen to be right or to have a valid opinion. In fact, Im wrong, its not mystifying at all.

He succeeded in keeping us in the league. A feat which every Swansea manager before and since has achieved. Granted he took over a gibberring mess of a playing squad and transformed it by bringing in higher quality players. He did that very well. Those players and the ones he signed the following season went on to be the catalyst for our rise. No-one can take that away from him.

As I have said earlier on in this thread, if we had got a result against Exeter at home, the Hull game would have been immaterial, the Great Escape would have been written off as a bad season and Flynn would have been largely forgotten about. The manner in which we stayed up has written him into our folklore rather than the reasonably mediocre achievement.
The Brian Flynn era on 09:37 - Feb 13 with 1098 viewsJackanapes

The Brian Flynn era on 21:33 - Feb 12 by Dr_Winston

Playing Kevin Nugent upfront and marooning JT out on the left was one of the main reasons we weren't safe until the final day.

Not a great shock to see Nuge (who was a decent player at that level) in favour.

"Playing Kevin Nugent upfront and marooning JT out on the left was one of the main reasons we weren't safe until the final day. "

Thats laughable. You have no basis to make that statement. We may have lost every single game had he played in the middle.
If Thomas never scored another goal and we stayed up who gives fk. We arent JTFC. You have a weakness when it comes to him though.

“The stupidest thing she knew was for people to act like they knew all about the things they knew absolutely nothing about.”

The Brian Flynn era on 09:46 - Feb 13 with 1075 viewswaynekerr55

Talking of Flynny can anyone remember the posts along the lines of "Jackett is sh*t and he's only got us here because of Flynn's signings"? 😂
[Post edited 13 Feb 2016 9:47]

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

The Brian Flynn era on 09:59 - Feb 13 with 1050 viewsjack247

The Brian Flynn era on 09:46 - Feb 13 by waynekerr55

Talking of Flynny can anyone remember the posts along the lines of "Jackett is sh*t and he's only got us here because of Flynn's signings"? 😂

Flynns signings were immense. Bit harsh on Jackett, but having players like Leon, Trundle, Martinez (before it went sour) Robinson, Tate when he turned up at a League Two club was a bit of a head start for him
The Brian Flynn era on 11:10 - Feb 13 with 1018 viewsJackFish

The Brian Flynn era on 09:59 - Feb 13 by jack247

Flynns signings were immense. Bit harsh on Jackett, but having players like Leon, Trundle, Martinez (before it went sour) Robinson, Tate when he turned up at a League Two club was a bit of a head start for him

Well yeah, but KJ signed Gueret, Austin, Ricketts and Monk who all played a big part in getting us up that season.
The Brian Flynn era on 11:12 - Feb 13 with 1017 viewsjack247

The Brian Flynn era on 11:10 - Feb 13 by JackFish

Well yeah, but KJ signed Gueret, Austin, Ricketts and Monk who all played a big part in getting us up that season.

Not knocking Jackett at all. Just saying that the one thing Flynn did spectacularly well was recruitment.
The Brian Flynn era on 11:19 - Feb 13 with 983 viewsHumpty

We were flying out of the league.

Flynn was brought in to keep us up. He achieved that.

He also signed some fantastic players who ended up playing us into the Championship/Premier League.

Good job Brian.
Login to get fewer ads

The Brian Flynn era on 11:23 - Feb 13 with 991 viewsJoe_bradshaw

The Brian Flynn era on 11:19 - Feb 13 by Humpty

He also signed some fantastic players who ended up playing us into the Championship/Premier League.

Good job Brian.

There's no disputing that Brian Flynn was the manager when Kevin Reeves recruited all those players.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

The Brian Flynn era on 11:42 - Feb 13 with 967 viewsjack247

Good job Brian.

He came in about 6 weeks after the season started
The Brian Flynn era on 11:47 - Feb 13 with 958 viewsDarran

The Brian Flynn era on 11:23 - Feb 13 by Joe_bradshaw

There's no disputing that Brian Flynn was the manager when Kevin Reeves recruited all those players.

It makes you wonder why Martinez has employed Reeves and not Flynn all his managerial life doesn't it?

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

The Brian Flynn era on 12:10 - Feb 13 with 936 viewsJackanapes

The Brian Flynn era on 11:23 - Feb 13 by Joe_bradshaw

Allegedly. Another "fact".

The Brian Flynn era on 12:14 - Feb 13 with 929 viewsJackanapes

The Brian Flynn era on 11:47 - Feb 13 by Darran

It makes you wonder why Martinez has employed Reeves and not Flynn all his managerial life doesn't it?

Why would Flynn be someones assistant?
Why hasn't Reeves ever made it as a manager.
I mean he kept us up( apparantly) You'd think a scout who could single handedly save a football club would be in demand.
Im surprised SHIELD werent in touch.
[Post edited 13 Feb 2016 12:14]

The Brian Flynn era on 12:16 - Feb 13 with 917 viewsHighjack

The Brian Flynn era on 09:46 - Feb 13 by waynekerr55

Well jacket did his best to phase out all the Flynn signings and replace them with big tall physical players like fallon, owain Tudor Jones etc. Was gurney one of his too? That was ultimately his downfall.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

The Brian Flynn era on 12:18 - Feb 13 with 909 viewsDr_Winston

The Brian Flynn era on 09:37 - Feb 13 by Jackanapes

"Playing Kevin Nugent upfront and marooning JT out on the left was one of the main reasons we weren't safe until the final day. "

Thats laughable. You have no basis to make that statement. We may have lost every single game had he played in the middle.
If Thomas never scored another goal and we stayed up who gives fk. We arent JTFC. You have a weakness when it comes to him though.

No basis other than the fact that he'd scored nine goals in fourteen games in a far worse team and was replaced as our main goalscoring threat by someone who only managed nine in that entire season, for us and Orient.

INot the only reason of course, but then I never claimed it was.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The Brian Flynn era on 12:21 - Feb 13 with 897 viewsJackanapes

The Brian Flynn era on 12:18 - Feb 13 by Dr_Winston

No basis other than the fact that he'd scored nine goals in fourteen games in a far worse team and was replaced as our main goalscoring threat by someone who only managed nine in that entire season, for us and Orient.

INot the only reason of course, but then I never claimed it was.

Where did those goals get us? Bottom of the league that where. Flynn found a more effective formation that sadly meant a dry spell for JT but ultimately success for us. The greater good.
[Post edited 13 Feb 2016 12:32]

The Brian Flynn era on 12:33 - Feb 13 with 868 viewswaynekerr55

The Brian Flynn era on 12:16 - Feb 13 by Highjack

Well jacket did his best to phase out all the Flynn signings and replace them with big tall physical players like fallon, owain Tudor Jones etc. Was gurney one of his too? That was ultimately his downfall.

Like Leon Knight you mean

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

The Brian Flynn era on 12:34 - Feb 13 with 867 viewsmagicdaps10

Flynn was brought in to keep us up and he did........in my eyes he did the job that was required whether it was with games to spare or in the final game.

He brought in some fantastic players who went on to contribute to our great story. You can argue he was this or he was that but he done the job asked of him and added a bit more that came to the forefront after he went.

Brian gets a big thumbs up from me.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

The Brian Flynn era on 12:44 - Feb 13 with 857 viewsjackonicko

The Brian Flynn era on 11:42 - Feb 13 by jack247

He came in about 6 weeks after the season started

But they were a dreadful 6 weeks.

I remember going to Woking in pre-season and seeing Cusacks magnificent 7 for the first time. It wasn't dreadful, but it wasn't great either. However, by the time Flynn came in, we all knew we were in for a dreadful season. And it takes time to unpick a squad of players as poor as put together that summer.
The Brian Flynn era on 13:57 - Feb 13 with 825 viewsJackFish

The Brian Flynn era on 12:44 - Feb 13 by jackonicko

But they were a dreadful 6 weeks.

I remember going to Woking in pre-season and seeing Cusacks magnificent 7 for the first time. It wasn't dreadful, but it wasn't great either. However, by the time Flynn came in, we all knew we were in for a dreadful season. And it takes time to unpick a squad of players as poor as put together that summer.

In fairness Flynn did have to overhaul pretty much the entire team which was never going to happen overnight. That lopsided 4-3-3 was just mental though.
The Brian Flynn era on 14:25 - Feb 13 with 797 viewsDavillin

The Brian Flynn era on 04:22 - Feb 13 by Starsky

What's your opinion on the signings made during his tenure Tony?
It's mainly the reason I started this thread.

I can't answer your question because I don't know whether any of them were "his" signings, and if so, which. I doubt anyone outside the inner circle of the club at that time did, or do, know.

Some of the signings during his tenure turned out to be valuable, some did not. It's the way of the world in football. Add to that the fascinating variety of opinions of supporters, and you have a question incapable of being answered with accuracy.

For example, remember when Shelvey first came here as compared with now. You and I could name many others in that same category.

Emerson: "Every hero becomes a bore at last" [from memory].

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

The Brian Flynn era on 14:34 - Feb 13 with 792 viewsDavillin

The Brian Flynn era on 09:19 - Feb 13 by Jackanapes

Three comments.

1. Your first sentence, "How could he have completed a miracle during the season, when he needed the season to end to see if his work had succeeded?" in all but incomprehensible.

2. "We were rock bottom in January. Just like we were when he took over. So to suggest its his fault we were down there is utter nonsense." Please don't join the mini-crowd of people who misstate [intentionally or unintentionally] what someone wrote and then argue against it. I don't remember anyone saying that "it was his fault we were down there" - I know I did not. What some people are saying is that he does not deserve the credit for keeping us from relegation.

3. Your last paragraph is a fascinating combination of braying about your clear-sightedness and insulting others who do not see things as you do, or share your opinion. Neither of them is justifiable because they are and will remain your opinions.

The Brian Flynn era on 14:41 - Feb 13 with 788 viewsDavillin

Good job Brian.

Logical leaps are not facts. Your second and third sentences are an example. He might well have been "brought in to keep us up," but to say that "he achieved that" is the logical leap.

Logically, your second sentence should read, "We stayed up."

The heart of the argument against his deification is that his management didn't earn him that credit.

The Brian Flynn era on 08:18 - Feb 14 with 717 viewsexiledclaseboy

Well I still think Flynn performed a near miracle to keep us up. He should be fondly remembered and thanked by Swans fans. And of course he is by the vast majority of Swans fans who aren't either a - professional carpers, b - revisionists or c - Planet Swans posters.

Poll: Tory leader

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024