Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Brian Flynn era 10:13 - Feb 11 with 9536 viewsStarsky

Please somebody explain this to me once and for all, so I can get my head around it.
The great escape in 2003 during Flynns tenure is where we have come from to this wonderful era that had seen us listed as one of the richest Football clubs in the world (top 30).
It's well documented on here that his hands on efforts at the club were increasingly found wanting.
However, I don't get the occasional comments that are posted here whenever there's a manager thread.
Dav recently posted that he didn't have a lot to do with us staying up and I know Darran and Jobs have similar views. I'm not contesting this, I'm just trying to understand the viewpoint.
Here's my take on the Flynn era...

In comes Flynn and he brings Kevin Reeves with him.
In come Tate, Britton, Martinez, Thomas, Jonrose and we escape the drop by the skin of our teeth.
The next season sees the permanent return of Britton, Tate and the arrival of Lee Trundle who dropped a division to join us and Andy Robinson plucked from Cammel Laird.
So many of those players have been a great part of our success. Martinez started the Swansea pass and move game, Tate captained us in our first ever Premier league game. Britton is still playing for us.

If Flynn is not responsible for all this then who was?
And... If you say Reeves... Who brought him to the club? Wasn't it Flynn?

I'm confused. Help me out here.
Anybody who starts by "why are you bringing this up, let's move on etc"
Just Feck off and let the ones who want to discuss it get on with it.

It's just the internet, init.

The Brian Flynn era on 10:16 - Feb 11 with 3962 viewsshandyjack

this is my memory of events too

Poll: Expectation for the season

The Brian Flynn era on 10:21 - Feb 11 with 3950 viewsswanjackal

He brought in the much needed quality necessary, that we did not attain under Cusack (Paul reid, David Smith,Michael Jackson for f*ck sake...sha-mon). He also set us up in a way that we looked like a professional unit on the field, unfortunately he didn't have the discipline off the field it seems with him being so far away, and Jackett came in and gave us a more professional set up off the field, utilising the talented players assembled by Flynn.

Anyone dismissing him as being unworthy of praise for his role, for me, is doing him a major disservice.
[Post edited 11 Feb 2016 10:21]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hypocritically hypocritical !

The Brian Flynn era on 10:22 - Feb 11 with 3940 viewsEasternJack

The Brian Flynn era on 10:16 - Feb 11 by shandyjack

this is my memory of events too

Mine too. It was a crucial appointment at the time and brought stability.

I also agree that he ran out of steam and we were often found desperately hanging on to leads early on in 2nd halves... sound familiar?

Poll: Hull vs Middlesborough - What do we want?

The Brian Flynn era on 10:26 - Feb 11 with 3920 viewsDarran

He shouldn't be looked upon as saving us he should be looked upon as nearly taking us down and he nearly took us down because he was an unprofessional little c*nt that was taking the piss out of us big time.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

The Brian Flynn era on 10:33 - Feb 11 with 3901 viewsshandyjack

The Brian Flynn era on 10:26 - Feb 11 by Darran

He shouldn't be looked upon as saving us he should be looked upon as nearly taking us down and he nearly took us down because he was an unprofessional little c*nt that was taking the piss out of us big time.

we were bottom of the league when he took over, so i'd say he kept us up

The Brian Flynn era on 10:35 - Feb 11 with 3893 viewsshandyjack

The Brian Flynn era on 10:33 - Feb 11 by shandyjack

http://www.90min.com/posts/967287-brian-flynn-the-forgotten-man-in-swansea-s-his

The Brian Flynn era on 10:37 - Feb 11 with 3877 viewsDarran

The Brian Flynn era on 10:33 - Feb 11 by shandyjack

You can say what you want but he did take over in Septemver and should have done much better.

The Brian Flynn era on 10:40 - Feb 11 with 3868 viewsDarran

and as for him being responsible for starting if all off who brought him in?
Why did the people that brought him in get involved?

All hail Mike Lewis for bringing Tony Petty in

Thank you Mike Lewis for starting it all off.

Login to get fewer ads

The Brian Flynn era on 10:50 - Feb 11 with 3841 viewsMorfa_Same

Flynn performed a miracle keeping us up. He inherited a team that was so bad it would have struggled in the Conference. We needed almost a completely new team to save us but finances were still a mess after the CVA the previous season. We hadn't event spent a transfer fee for about 4 years. I'm not sure that any other manager in the game could have saved us in those circumstances.
The Brian Flynn era on 10:53 - Feb 11 with 3835 viewsCopperJack

Granted, he was appointed in September, but he took over a completely inept squad. The players he brought in without doubt saved us - and he also had us playing a fantastic brand of exciting football, long before the days of Martinez or Rodger (granted, we couldn't defend).

I think when you're in a relegation fight, you play within yourself (look at us now), and don't play to your full potential because of the pressure involved. As I say, look at us now. I think we're easily a mid-table side, but our position makes us nervy when we get into winning positions.

Flynn brought icons to the club, some of whom played a major part in our rise, Tate/Leon/Trundle/Martinez.

His behaviour in the second season was n't acceptable and he was rightly dismissed, but in my opinion, he kept us up. He brought in almost a whole new team and tried to get them to gel in a very short space of time.

Poll: The 2016 Assembly Elections: Which way will you be voting & why?

The Brian Flynn era on 10:54 - Feb 11 with 3835 viewsswanjackal

The Brian Flynn era on 10:35 - Feb 11 by shandyjack

http://www.90min.com/posts/967287-brian-flynn-the-forgotten-man-in-swansea-s-his

"the clubs folk law"

Made me chuckle.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hypocritically hypocritical !

The Brian Flynn era on 10:56 - Feb 11 with 3817 viewsDarran

The Brian Flynn era on 10:53 - Feb 11 by CopperJack

Granted, he was appointed in September, but he took over a completely inept squad. The players he brought in without doubt saved us - and he also had us playing a fantastic brand of exciting football, long before the days of Martinez or Rodger (granted, we couldn't defend).

I think when you're in a relegation fight, you play within yourself (look at us now), and don't play to your full potential because of the pressure involved. As I say, look at us now. I think we're easily a mid-table side, but our position makes us nervy when we get into winning positions.

Flynn brought icons to the club, some of whom played a major part in our rise, Tate/Leon/Trundle/Martinez.

His behaviour in the second season was n't acceptable and he was rightly dismissed, but in my opinion, he kept us up. He brought in almost a whole new team and tried to get them to gel in a very short space of time.

Mate believe me his behaviour in the first season want acceptable.

The Brian Flynn era on 11:01 - Feb 11 with 3802 viewsStoptheBus

Most within the club were happy to see him go because, like Darren has said, he was unprofessional. He didn't seem too committed either, the fact he refused to move down to the area from Burnley speaks volumes.

He had a good scout who could spot a good lower league player, I'll grant him that. Mind you, he also signed Leon Hylton and Lenny Johnrose so perhaps that evens things out.
The Brian Flynn era on 11:09 - Feb 11 with 3775 viewsEasternJack

Rinse & Repeat

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/everton/forum/85477/page:1

Nb. No idea why that pops up on the Everton forum link...

Poll: Hull vs Middlesborough - What do we want?

The Brian Flynn era on 11:26 - Feb 11 with 3735 viewsJackanapes

The Brian Flynn era on 11:09 - Feb 11 by EasternJack

Rinse & Repeat

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/everton/forum/85477/page:1

Nb. No idea why that pops up on the Everton forum link...

A differnt thread, from around the time of the Napoli games, came up on 'The Ugly Inside', the Soton fans network site, when I googled a Nick Hornby qoute that I used in that particular thread. It must be a fans networtk thing. As for my views, they are all in that thread.
[Post edited 11 Feb 2016 11:31]

“The stupidest thing she knew was for people to act like they knew all about the things they knew absolutely nothing about.”

The Brian Flynn era on 11:55 - Feb 11 with 3664 viewsswancity

The Brian Flynn era on 10:26 - Feb 11 by Darran

Clown

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

The Brian Flynn era on 12:18 - Feb 11 with 3614 viewsCopperJack

The Brian Flynn era on 10:56 - Feb 11 by Darran

Mate believe me his behaviour in the first season want acceptable.

Care to elaborate? Not saying you're wrong by the way, I'm actually curious because I've heard nothing about it

Poll: The 2016 Assembly Elections: Which way will you be voting & why?

The Brian Flynn era on 12:20 - Feb 11 with 3598 viewsDarran

The Brian Flynn era on 12:18 - Feb 11 by CopperJack

Care to elaborate? Not saying you're wrong by the way, I'm actually curious because I've heard nothing about it

Eh yeah not being here,not travelling with the team to away games,not staying at hotels with the players the night before away games.

The Brian Flynn era on 12:23 - Feb 11 with 3591 viewsDr_Winston

The Brian Flynn era on 11:01 - Feb 11 by StoptheBus

Most within the club were happy to see him go because, like Darren has said, he was unprofessional. He didn't seem too committed either, the fact he refused to move down to the area from Burnley speaks volumes.

He had a good scout who could spot a good lower league player, I'll grant him that. Mind you, he also signed Leon Hylton and Lenny Johnrose so perhaps that evens things out.

Don't disrespect the Johnrose.

There will always be a school of thought to suggest that a more committed, more tactically capable manager would have had us safe long before the final day considering the resources Flynn was given to work with, even taking into account where he was starting from. A school of thought I happen to agree with.

His legacy will be the players he left behind, but it's telling that it took a different manager to turn such talented individuals into a consistently effective team.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The Brian Flynn era on 12:24 - Feb 11 with 3588 viewsswancity

The Brian Flynn era on 12:20 - Feb 11 by Darran

Eh yeah not being here,not travelling with the team to away games,not staying at hotels with the players the night before away games.

And?

He lived in the North West dumbo so when we played games in that area it would make sense to do that. Not ideal may be but are you discounting all of the good things he did because of that? You're not that stupid are you.....

The Brian Flynn era on 12:26 - Feb 11 with 3576 viewsDarran

The Brian Flynn era on 12:24 - Feb 11 by swancity

And?

He lived in the North West dumbo so when we played games in that area it would make sense to do that. Not ideal may be but are you discounting all of the good things he did because of that? You're not that stupid are you.....

Yep not ideal at all no wonder we only managed to stay up by the skin of our teeth.

The Brian Flynn era on 12:28 - Feb 11 with 3566 viewsswancity

The Brian Flynn era on 12:26 - Feb 11 by Darran

Yep not ideal at all no wonder we only managed to stay up by the skin of our teeth.

I see. So if he had been sitting on the team bus reading a book or playing cards or even listening to music that would have made all the difference. I'm with you now.

The Brian Flynn era on 12:33 - Feb 11 with 3552 viewsswancity

The Brian Flynn era on 12:23 - Feb 11 by Dr_Winston

Don't disrespect the Johnrose.

There will always be a school of thought to suggest that a more committed, more tactically capable manager would have had us safe long before the final day considering the resources Flynn was given to work with, even taking into account where he was starting from. A school of thought I happen to agree with.

His legacy will be the players he left behind, but it's telling that it took a different manager to turn such talented individuals into a consistently effective team.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Agreed on Johnrose, a good old tough pro, just what we needed at the time to compliment the silky skills of Britton. martinez Tate etc

But give some credit to Flynn for all the good he did. It will give your attempt to belittle ( pun lol ) everything about the man a bit more credibility and balance possibly. But possibly not...

The Brian Flynn era on 12:41 - Feb 11 with 3517 viewsjack247

The 'not a lot to do with us staying up'' I think, comes from the fact he wouldn't move down here, allegedly missed training sessions because he was in Burnley and played a weird lopsided formation that just didn't work. From memory wasn't James Thomas played on the wing in a one winger formation a lot? I think he was even asked to drop that formation for the last couple of games because everyone could see it was ineffective.

Recruitment wise he was brilliant, pound for pound arguably the best we have had. If he hadn't brought in Martinez, Britton and Tate I think we would have been relegated way before the Hull game. The following season he brought in Trundle, Robbo, signed Leon on a permanent deal. You can't really question that aspect of his role. It's not just a case of bringing players in though and he was pretty abject at actually managing them. Plus he wasn't commited enough to live down here.

He did keep us up, but so did 22 other league 2 managers that season. Can't really argue that the players he brought in didn't go on to play a massive part in our rise though.
The Brian Flynn era on 13:09 - Feb 11 with 3431 viewsswancity

To understand the scale of the achievement which was staying up that season you must remember how dire our team was in the early weeks of that season. Cusack has a lot to answer for. Nice guy but inept in terms of club management Cusack signed 9 duds and one decent lower division striker in James Thomas

Our club was in a dire mess. Our team was useless. Our 4-0 home loss to Kidderminster early in the Flynn era was for me an all time low and showed how useless we really were and how big a job it was

No one with any sense would come here as Cusack alluded to but Flynn was working hard in the North West to watch dozens of games to see certain players that he knew could help us. And then managed to persuade them to come to us. And on free transfers. From January when we drew away to top side Rushden and Diamonds with a Kevin Nugent goal we had hope. It was Flynn who gave us that hope when previously there was none

Ok he didn't always travel with the team to away games in the North, preferring to meet at the hotel. But don't underestimate his achievement that season. It was quite extraordinary taking everything into account.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024