Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Books: what's everyone reading? 11:38 - Mar 21 with 22639 viewsthedrownedman

Just about to stay Shirley Jackson's 'Wer Have Always Lived in the Castle'.

The last book I read was The Killing Lessons, which was a fantastic read.
Books: what's everyone reading? on 22:25 - Apr 17 with 3172 viewsEbo

Disgusting Bliss - The Brass Eye of Chris Morris. It's ok.

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

Books: what's everyone reading? on 18:23 - Jul 29 with 3015 viewsWitneyjack

Riding the Retreat by the late Richard Holmes. All about the British Expeditionary Force and their retreat from Mons in 1914. Quality.
Books: what's everyone reading? on 13:37 - Jul 30 with 2935 viewsLohengrin

Books: what's everyone reading? on 18:23 - Jul 29 by Witneyjack

Riding the Retreat by the late Richard Holmes. All about the British Expeditionary Force and their retreat from Mons in 1914. Quality.

That's a good few years old now, Witney. Are you re-reading it or have you just picked up a copy?

I'd like to recommend this to you, mate. It's an excellent partial biography of an extraordinary man. Right up your street, this.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Books: what's everyone reading? on 13:45 - Jul 30 with 2928 viewsWitneyjack

Books: what's everyone reading? on 13:37 - Jul 30 by Lohengrin

That's a good few years old now, Witney. Are you re-reading it or have you just picked up a copy?

I'd like to recommend this to you, mate. It's an excellent partial biography of an extraordinary man. Right up your street, this.

I picked up a copy at the Library and realised I hadn't ever got round to reading it. Also in the pile is Nick Lloyd's 'Hundred Days' which has been recommended to me.

Thanks for the recommendation Loh, I'll put it on my list and look out for it.
Books: what's everyone reading? on 14:09 - Jul 30 with 2916 viewsClinton

Trolley Bus Pilot by Sketty's own Alun Richards
Alun recounts his time as a second world war trainee pilot. Slim volume, easy read. Decent chap too, I bought it after he gave a talk recently.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trolleybus-Pilot-Alun-John-Richards/dp/1784612421

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Books: what's everyone reading? on 23:28 - Aug 6 with 2836 viewsJack_Meoff

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Treasure-Islands-Havens-Stole-World/dp/0099541726

If anyone has an interest in international finance and the sleight of hand involved this is highly recommended.

The chapter about the City of London (the square mile) is the longest in the book and eye opening. An ancient theft mechanism on an astonishingly efficient level. Its relationship to Parliament is discussed within, as is the apparent 'nationisation' of the Bank of England.

I'm also aware of the irony of posting a link to Amazon on this subject too...

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

Books: what's everyone reading? on 04:21 - Aug 7 with 2808 viewsLoyal

I love educational books me ...

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Books: what's everyone reading? on 05:11 - Aug 7 with 2806 viewsphact0rri

Started up Salmon of Doubt which is a collection of stories that were started but never finished/published by Douglas Adams

Just finished Toradora Vol 6 (Japanese Language) by Yuyuko Takemiya.. which is a bit of a guilty pleasure.

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

Login to get fewer ads

Books: what's everyone reading? on 08:35 - Aug 7 with 2782 viewsDr_Winston

Am in the middle of re-reading Game of Thrones. Also just started the Tom Thorne series by Mark Billingham, AKA Gary the Guard from Maid Marian and her Merry Men.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Books: what's everyone reading? on 08:55 - Aug 7 with 2769 viewsPhaedrus

Re-reading Terry Pratchett discworld from the beginning. Currently reading Interesting Times. Whilst I find moments of humour and am managing to get through the books, its a testament to the ravages of time that I cannot now understand quite why I liked them so much. Maybe its because I have read a good deal of Douglas Adams since then, and I cannot read Pratchet without thinking that Adams did the same thing both better and earlier.
[Post edited 7 Aug 2016 8:55]

And what is good Phaedrus, and what is not good. Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

Books: what's everyone reading? on 09:13 - Aug 7 with 2761 viewsDr_Winston

Books: what's everyone reading? on 08:55 - Aug 7 by Phaedrus

Re-reading Terry Pratchett discworld from the beginning. Currently reading Interesting Times. Whilst I find moments of humour and am managing to get through the books, its a testament to the ravages of time that I cannot now understand quite why I liked them so much. Maybe its because I have read a good deal of Douglas Adams since then, and I cannot read Pratchet without thinking that Adams did the same thing both better and earlier.
[Post edited 7 Aug 2016 8:55]

I started on the Pratchett's. Gave up about 4/5 books in. You're right. They're nowhere near as funny as their reputation suggests.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Books: what's everyone reading? on 16:00 - Aug 11 with 2682 viewsFieryJack

Selected Essays by Montaigne (paying particular attention to On Some Lines Of Virgil) - a bit chewy and dense, but worthwhile.

Dead Men Risen by Tony Harnden (Welsh Regiment's harrowing experiences in Iraq - a bit too dauntingly over-detailed for me).

Selected Essays of George Orwell (useful for those who'd like to improve their prose style).

As I Walked Out One Midsummers Morning by Laurie Lee (will give you a completely different perspective on Spain; written well before hordes of British descended there for package holidays).

No Harm Done - Henry Marsh (reminiscences of a top brain surgeon - bleak, wry, haunting, comical & tragical - 100% recommended).

Glad to see David Jones mentioned above. Plan to have another go at his "In Parenthesis" - apt enough in this centenary year of the Battle of the Somme. Much of this prose-poem is taken up with the ghastly Battle of Mametz wood, in which mainly inexperienced south Walian volunteers were involved in vicious and horrific close quarters fighting (bayonets in throats, limbs hanging from branches etc.) with huge professional Prussian guards amongst the trees.

And,in between, a bit of Chaucer for sauce and laughter.
Books: what's everyone reading? on 16:41 - Aug 11 with 2675 viewsLohengrin

Books: what's everyone reading? on 16:00 - Aug 11 by FieryJack

Selected Essays by Montaigne (paying particular attention to On Some Lines Of Virgil) - a bit chewy and dense, but worthwhile.

Dead Men Risen by Tony Harnden (Welsh Regiment's harrowing experiences in Iraq - a bit too dauntingly over-detailed for me).

Selected Essays of George Orwell (useful for those who'd like to improve their prose style).

As I Walked Out One Midsummers Morning by Laurie Lee (will give you a completely different perspective on Spain; written well before hordes of British descended there for package holidays).

No Harm Done - Henry Marsh (reminiscences of a top brain surgeon - bleak, wry, haunting, comical & tragical - 100% recommended).

Glad to see David Jones mentioned above. Plan to have another go at his "In Parenthesis" - apt enough in this centenary year of the Battle of the Somme. Much of this prose-poem is taken up with the ghastly Battle of Mametz wood, in which mainly inexperienced south Walian volunteers were involved in vicious and horrific close quarters fighting (bayonets in throats, limbs hanging from branches etc.) with huge professional Prussian guards amongst the trees.

And,in between, a bit of Chaucer for sauce and laughter.

Toby Harnden writes of The Welsh Guards, not the Welsh Regt. I think you may have lost your way up to Mametz!

As a bit of guidance for anybody about to read In Parenthesis it would be a good idea to briefly familiarise yourself with The Song of Roland, Le Morte d' Arthur, The Mabinogion, Bunyan and Chaucer first; assuming you're not already. Jones's generation benefitted from a depth and fullness of education that today's curriculum simply doesn't allow. Without prior knowledge of the well Jones is drawing from much of the allusion and allegory that gives In Parenthesis its power won't make sense and it needs to because this is much more than literature it's artistry of the highest form.

If you've got a few bob to spare try and pick up a copy of The Folio Society's centenary edition. It is well worth the extra outlay as not only is it unquestionably the finest work to emerge from The Great War it is also arguably one of the most important works that exist in the English language.

Books: what's everyone reading? on 18:44 - Aug 11 with 2653 viewsphact0rri

Books: what's everyone reading? on 08:35 - Aug 7 by Dr_Winston

Am in the middle of re-reading Game of Thrones. Also just started the Tom Thorne series by Mark Billingham, AKA Gary the Guard from Maid Marian and her Merry Men.

are you going through the whole Song Series for a re-read? I have some mates that went through the series one after the other. I mainly read another book in the series annually, book four is next. But it tends to be such a commitment I have to heal up before I return to the world.

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

Books: what's everyone reading? on 21:06 - Aug 11 with 2626 viewsFieryJack

Books: what's everyone reading? on 16:41 - Aug 11 by Lohengrin

Toby Harnden writes of The Welsh Guards, not the Welsh Regt. I think you may have lost your way up to Mametz!

As a bit of guidance for anybody about to read In Parenthesis it would be a good idea to briefly familiarise yourself with The Song of Roland, Le Morte d' Arthur, The Mabinogion, Bunyan and Chaucer first; assuming you're not already. Jones's generation benefitted from a depth and fullness of education that today's curriculum simply doesn't allow. Without prior knowledge of the well Jones is drawing from much of the allusion and allegory that gives In Parenthesis its power won't make sense and it needs to because this is much more than literature it's artistry of the highest form.

If you've got a few bob to spare try and pick up a copy of The Folio Society's centenary edition. It is well worth the extra outlay as not only is it unquestionably the finest work to emerge from The Great War it is also arguably one of the most important works that exist in the English language.

Thanks for that, Lohengrin. That Folio Society edition looks just the job. I'll add it to my already overlong list of books to buy!
Books: what's everyone reading? on 08:38 - Aug 23 with 2537 viewssherpajacob

Books: what's everyone reading? on 16:41 - Aug 11 by Lohengrin

https://www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/qs_product_tbp?product

If you haven't got a few bob to spare.

The notes to the text are pretty good at explaining the various references.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Books: what's everyone reading? on 08:35 - Sep 2 with 2428 viewsLohengrin

Books: what's everyone reading? on 08:38 - Aug 23 by sherpajacob

https://www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/qs_product_tbp?product

If you haven't got a few bob to spare.

The notes to the text are pretty good at explaining the various references.

I bought that set as a present a few years back when it came out... and paid the full whack!!

Books: what's everyone reading? on 10:09 - Sep 2 with 2405 viewsLeonisGod

Bit of escapism over the summer holiday. Good too.

Books: what's everyone reading? on 10:14 - Sep 2 with 2403 viewsLohengrin

Books: what's everyone reading? on 10:09 - Sep 2 by LeonisGod

Bit of escapism over the summer holiday. Good too.

If I was sat next to you on the plane and saw that I'd poke you in the eye with the plastic spoon to save you from yourself.

Books: what's everyone reading? on 10:18 - Sep 2 with 2402 viewsLeonisGod

Books: what's everyone reading? on 17:06 - Mar 21 by londonlisa2001

For anyone interested in running or feats of human endurance, I'd thoroughly recommend 'Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes and the Greatest Race the World has Never Seen' by Christopher McDougall.

Just read it on holiday and it is excellent both on ultra running and the hidden tribes of the Copper Canyon in Mexico.
[Post edited 21 Mar 2016 17:07]

If you liked that, then I'd suggest having a look at Feet in the Clouds, by Richard Askwith. It's one of the earlier books that helped kick off the proliferation of running books that are now out there, but is so much more than a simple running book. Part personal story, part historical examination of the strange and weird fell running community in the UK. You certainly don't need to be a runner to enjoy it. He's a journalist , so it's also well written compared to many of the 'personal challenge' books around nowadays.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Feet-Clouds-Tale-Fell-running-Obsession-ebook/dp/B0077F
Books: what's everyone reading? on 10:19 - Sep 2 with 2417 viewsLeonisGod

Books: what's everyone reading? on 10:14 - Sep 2 by Lohengrin

If I was sat next to you on the plane and saw that I'd poke you in the eye with the plastic spoon to save you from yourself.

I guessed you'd say as much. We could have a book swap!
Books: what's everyone reading? on 10:46 - Sep 2 with 2404 viewsLohengrin

Books: what's everyone reading? on 10:19 - Sep 2 by LeonisGod

I guessed you'd say as much. We could have a book swap!

If that were to happen you'd suddenly metamorphose. Your jacket would magically transform into the finest tweed. In the blink of an eye your tie, handkerchief and cuff- links would draw looks of admiration and envy from all seated nearby while the air hostesses would be falling over themselves to bring you fresh ice and a whisky refill. What would I get? Some bloke with acne and a turn in his eye wanting to talk to me about Dungeons and Dragons?

It's hardly a fair trade.

Books: what's everyone reading? on 18:02 - Sep 2 with 2368 viewsCopperJack

Reading two at the moment. Great expectations, a very slow burner, and on her majesty's secret service, which is excellent. Recommend the former to anyone interested in classic literature, the latter to anyone who likes the Bond films. Many of the books are far better

Poll: The 2016 Assembly Elections: Which way will you be voting & why?

Books: what's everyone reading? on 18:17 - Sep 2 with 2365 viewslondonlisa2001

Books: what's everyone reading? on 10:18 - Sep 2 by LeonisGod

If you liked that, then I'd suggest having a look at Feet in the Clouds, by Richard Askwith. It's one of the earlier books that helped kick off the proliferation of running books that are now out there, but is so much more than a simple running book. Part personal story, part historical examination of the strange and weird fell running community in the UK. You certainly don't need to be a runner to enjoy it. He's a journalist , so it's also well written compared to many of the 'personal challenge' books around nowadays.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Feet-Clouds-Tale-Fell-running-Obsession-ebook/dp/B0077F

Oh brilliant - thanks for that - sounds just the sort of thing I enjoy. I'll add it to my kindle list for holiday.
Books: what's everyone reading? on 19:00 - Sep 2 with 2356 viewsLohengrin

You may want to add this as well, love, it's very good. Right up your street given what you've been saying.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024