Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Greatest War Movies 22:09 - Apr 19 with 13243 viewsLord_Bony

What is your favourite war film?

Heres a few of mine...

Battle of Britain

Saving Private Ryan

Zulu

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Greatest War Movies on 10:47 - May 4 with 2603 viewsLord_Bony

A couple of good ones. American Sniper based in Iraq

Lone Survivor based in Afghanistan

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"

Greatest War Movies on 11:00 - May 4 with 2594 viewsProfessor

Greatest War Movies on 05:18 - May 4 by Lord_Bony

Watched Fury with Brad Pitt....highly recommended Ww2 drama about a tank crew.

I enjoyed 'Fury' a lot-shows the shortcomings of the Sherman well.

Oft overlooked is 'Tora, Tora, Tora" which is unusual as it is told from both sides perspective.
Greatest War Movies on 11:12 - May 4 with 2581 viewsLord_Bony

Greatest War Movies on 11:00 - May 4 by Professor

I enjoyed 'Fury' a lot-shows the shortcomings of the Sherman well.

Oft overlooked is 'Tora, Tora, Tora" which is unusual as it is told from both sides perspective.

Yes the Sherman was outclassed late in the war by the Tiger and Panzer tanks...shells simply bounced off the angular armour of these tanks.

Sherman losses were horrendous for the Americans.

Agreed Tora was an epic Pearl Harbour movie.

Greatest War Movies on 11:15 - May 4 with 2576 viewstrampie

The problem with American and to a lesser extent British war films is they often try big themselves up and try and portray themselves in a good light all the time, due to as some would see it a German guilt complex over the war[s] that biasness does not seem to be an issue.

Heard about one production which was a joint German/West thing where the German half of the production team were very concerned that one of the lead characters a German was being portrait as a bit of a hero and they did not want that and apparently insisted that things were played down regarding his envolvement .

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Greatest War Movies on 11:24 - May 4 with 2570 viewsLord_Bony

Greatest War Movies on 11:15 - May 4 by trampie

The problem with American and to a lesser extent British war films is they often try big themselves up and try and portray themselves in a good light all the time, due to as some would see it a German guilt complex over the war[s] that biasness does not seem to be an issue.

Heard about one production which was a joint German/West thing where the German half of the production team were very concerned that one of the lead characters a German was being portrait as a bit of a hero and they did not want that and apparently insisted that things were played down regarding his envolvement .

Agreed the truth is distorted sometimes as in the movies above.

Both American Sniper and Lone Survivor give a clean glamorous,heroic image to the dirty wars of Iraq and Afghanistan.Thats Hollywood.Thats what the public believe.

Churchill has never been portrayed very well by the Americans either...I suppose this type of thing goes on with all sides with war films.

Greatest War Movies on 12:10 - May 4 with 2540 viewstrampie

I don't really do American stuff but 'Restrepo' was interesting with that award winning British guy that was unfortunately killed in Libya part directed and filmed it.

'Four Hours in My Lai' a 80's British documentary was shocking stuff, very disturbing.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Greatest War Movies on 12:14 - May 4 with 2530 viewsLohengrin

This is superb. If you haven't had chance to see it yet, make the time.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Greatest War Movies on 12:46 - May 4 with 2506 viewsLord_Bony

If that assassination attempt had succeeded,IMO Germany would have surrendered and millions of lives saved....shame about that table leg got in the way..

Login to get fewer ads

Greatest War Movies on 12:48 - May 4 with 2504 viewsLohengrin

Greatest War Movies on 12:46 - May 4 by Lord_Bony

If that assassination attempt had succeeded,IMO Germany would have surrendered and millions of lives saved....shame about that table leg got in the way..

Wrong attempt.

Greatest War Movies on 12:54 - May 4 with 2501 viewsLord_Bony

Ah thought it was the classic attempt in the Wolfs Lair ... did nt see all the trailer.

Greatest War Movies on 13:24 - May 4 with 2474 viewsfather_jack

dambusters needs mentioning

DRINK, FECK, GIRRRRLLSSS!

Greatest War Movies on 23:10 - May 4 with 2421 viewsTreforys_Jack

Greatest War Movies on 12:14 - May 4 by Lohengrin

This is superb. If you haven't had chance to see it yet, make the time.

This is on Amazon Prime at the moment, watched it a few weeks ago, very good.
Greatest War Movies on 23:37 - May 4 with 2402 viewsKerouac

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

Greatest War Movies on 06:34 - May 5 with 2353 viewsLord_Bony

Greatest War Movies on 23:10 - May 4 by Treforys_Jack

This is on Amazon Prime at the moment, watched it a few weeks ago, very good.

Thanks.

Just watched it on Prime.

Excellent.

Greatest War Movies on 14:49 - May 5 with 2310 viewsLeJacobin

All Quiet On The Western Front. It's a great book too.
Greatest War Movies on 16:18 - May 5 with 2286 viewsLohengrin

Greatest War Movies on 14:49 - May 5 by LeJacobin

All Quiet On The Western Front. It's a great book too.

I'm not too sure Remarque's book would fall into the "Great" category when weighed against other original titles concerning the Great War if I'm being honest. It does contain the most peculiar decriptive verbiage I've ever come across though - "like a fart on a curtain pole!" I had no idea what that meant when I first read it some forty years ago, I've got no idea now?

Greatest War Movies on 23:33 - May 5 with 2236 viewsLoyal

Ninian Park 1993 was a decent movie.
One sided due to excellent Strategic planning by the Swansea war office, but decent all the same.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Greatest War Movies on 17:13 - May 6 with 2181 viewsTreforys_Jack

Greatest War Movies on 06:34 - May 5 by Lord_Bony

Thanks.

Just watched it on Prime.

Excellent.

There's a few on Amazon , Storming Juno - story of the Canadian assault on Juno beach on D-Day and a film about the German invasion of Denmark but the name escapes me at the moment. It's a bit of an eye opener though seeing German Armour against the Danes on bicycles. - yes seriously.

Edit , film is called April 9th - the battle begins.
[Post edited 6 May 2016 19:48]
Greatest War Movies on 09:22 - May 24 with 2077 viewsLord_Bony

Watched this epic war movie recently.

Lawrence of Arabia.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Greatest War Movies on 09:55 - May 24 with 2065 viewssherpajacob

Greatest War Movies on 16:18 - May 5 by Lohengrin

I'm not too sure Remarque's book would fall into the "Great" category when weighed against other original titles concerning the Great War if I'm being honest. It does contain the most peculiar decriptive verbiage I've ever come across though - "like a fart on a curtain pole!" I had no idea what that meant when I first read it some forty years ago, I've got no idea now?

Poor translation probably.

Try the more recent translation by Brian Murdoch (1994). No question it is an immensely powerful book, although of course it is technically "fiction".

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Greatest War Movies on 11:52 - May 24 with 2043 viewsLohengrin

Greatest War Movies on 09:55 - May 24 by sherpajacob

Poor translation probably.

Try the more recent translation by Brian Murdoch (1994). No question it is an immensely powerful book, although of course it is technically "fiction".

There's a lot in that, many books suffer similarly. I did manage to wade through it though, with frequent recourse to a dictionary, as a schoolboy in the original.

Far and away the most powerful German memoir of 14-18 is Ernst Junger's In Stahlgewittern (Storm of Steel.) I'd strongly recommend you get hold of a copy of that. Supplement it with a copy Nevin's Ernst Junger and Germany: Into the Abyss. Both will be readily available at the library. In fact read the latter title first so you can locate the man himself before tackling the memoir. It's unlike anything else you'll read on the First War.

Greatest War Movies on 12:19 - May 24 with 2021 viewsswanjackal

84 Charlie Mopic. Really enjoyed this growing up, but not seen in a few years, so not sure how well it holds up.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hypocritically hypocritical !

Greatest War Movies on 14:26 - May 24 with 2001 viewsDafyddHuw

Apocalypse Now

Das Boot
Greatest War Movies on 17:37 - May 24 with 1963 viewsswansealad69

Greatest War Movies on 19:11 - Apr 20 by tomdickharry

Black Book,Dutch film about the Resistance in Holland during the war.

Black hawk down
Kelly's heroes
Longest day
Great escape
Battle off Briton
Greatest War Movies on 19:16 - May 24 with 1946 viewsPtpeaty

The Cruel Sea - Brilliant portrayal of the Royal Navy in the Battle of the Atlantic.
Das Boot - the guys manning the U-boats were heroes too.
Platoon
Battle of Britain
The Pacific
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024