Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
For the oldies 17:52 - May 2 with 8173 views3swan

35 years

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/swansea_city/9440622.stm
For the oldies on 08:45 - May 3 with 1964 viewsjackb

It was a wooden stand if I remember correctly, and you could feel it flexing as we bounced unforgettable experience of a day. The buses going up on the MW were quite a sight
For the oldies on 09:09 - May 3 with 1939 viewstrampie

Great goal by Leighton James, controlled it, ran at the defender beat him and curled a perfect shot into the corner of the net from the angle of the penalty box, very talented player Leighton James.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

For the oldies on 09:34 - May 3 with 1916 viewsunion_jack

For the oldies on 08:45 - May 3 by jackb

It was a wooden stand if I remember correctly, and you could feel it flexing as we bounced unforgettable experience of a day. The buses going up on the MW were quite a sight

I seem to remember the buses parking by a park(?) and all you could see was thus long line of them.

Agree about the safety aspect. My God, it could have been a day to remember for all the wrong reasons. I lost my glasses when Leighton scored but as we were so tightly packed in, they landed on the guy in front so I just picked them off his back!!! I'd never have got them back if they'd dropped to the floor.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

For the oldies on 09:50 - May 3 with 1902 viewsBrynmill_Jack

For the oldies on 09:34 - May 3 by union_jack

I seem to remember the buses parking by a park(?) and all you could see was thus long line of them.

Agree about the safety aspect. My God, it could have been a day to remember for all the wrong reasons. I lost my glasses when Leighton scored but as we were so tightly packed in, they landed on the guy in front so I just picked them off his back!!! I'd never have got them back if they'd dropped to the floor.

There must have been a hundred buses in that park at least.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

For the oldies on 12:25 - May 3 with 1861 viewsjackb

It didn't feel unsafe though, just how you watched football then. Packed in, shoulder to shoulder, moving with the crowd as one.
Still miss that way of watching football, not the same in seats
For the oldies on 12:31 - May 3 with 1855 viewsunion_jack

For the oldies on 12:25 - May 3 by jackb

It didn't feel unsafe though, just how you watched football then. Packed in, shoulder to shoulder, moving with the crowd as one.
Still miss that way of watching football, not the same in seats

You are right there though personally I don't miss that aspect. Much prefer a nice seat!

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

For the oldies on 12:44 - May 3 with 1841 viewsPegojack

I was sitting in the side stand, directly in line with the Preston penalty area in the second half. I think a friend who lived in Lancashire got me tickets, I was living in the Lake District at the time and didn't have the opportunity to buy away end tickets (pre internet, if you youngsters can imagine such a thing).

The image of Charlo smashing that ball into the net directly in front of me about thirty yards away is permanently seared into my brain and will be with me until my dying day.

That was our Leicester City moment.
For the oldies on 19:08 - May 3 with 1778 views3swan

Yes from memory the park was over the road from the ground bus after bus as far as the eye could see.
What a sight, and the M6 a sea of black & white
Login to get fewer ads

For the oldies on 19:10 - May 3 with 1778 views3swan

For the oldies on 23:16 - May 2 by dulaisjack

i wonder how many of the 10,000 that went to preston still go regularley to the liberty myself and 2 others from llandeilo still go, wonder how many more on here.

Yes.

When you look back on the ups and downs of OUR club, you can't say it's been boring
For the oldies on 20:09 - May 3 with 1733 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Blue away kits??? How'd that go over?

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

For the oldies on 20:17 - May 3 with 1731 viewsGeoffThom

For the oldies on 20:09 - May 3 by Tummer_from_Texas

That was a bit of a sore point with some ,it wasn't used that much over the season if I remember right ,on the day we couldn't care as we won but your right a strange colour again by adidas
For the oldies on 23:23 - May 3 with 1677 viewsSwanseajill

For the oldies on 20:09 - May 3 by Tummer_from_Texas

We wore cornflower blue, Them up East wore more...a royal blue.

THere....I feel better now.
For the oldies on 23:57 - May 3 with 1651 viewslondonlisa2001

God was it really 35 years ago - of course it must be. Can remember it as clearly as if it was last week. Picking up the bus from the old bus garage behind the East Bank with my father. Brother upset because he was only 9 and my Mum wouldn't let him go with us. I was only 13 so had a seat rather than the bank - wouldn't have been able to see anything on the bank. Sat in a stand full of Swans fans next to the away bank - opposite side to where Leighton cut in from.

Just everyone screaming when Charlo's went in - been a bit under the cosh before that. Players up on the fences.

That walk back to the buses. People falling asleep on the way back with emotional exhaustion. Woken up every half hour by someone on the bus yelling come one mun we won, why aren't we singing to be greeted by a few half hearted songs before everyone went back to sleep. Back into Swansea in the middle of the night in a huge convoy with cars everywhere around the Vetch waiting for the buses to take everyone home.

Racing to look at the Post (which I still have - the 'First Division' one).

I'd be alright if I could remember everything else from the last 35 years as clearly as I can remember that day !!
For the oldies on 07:42 - May 4 with 1608 viewsStarsky

For the oldies on 23:16 - May 2 by dulaisjack

i wonder how many of the 10,000 that went to preston still go regularley to the liberty myself and 2 others from llandeilo still go, wonder how many more on here.

Remembering absent friends who attended this great occasion. RIP yjbs
[Post edited 4 May 2016 7:43]

It's just the internet, init.

For the oldies on 08:05 - May 4 with 1597 viewsJBG

For the oldies on 18:36 - May 2 by hydraulicjack

Probably one of the best days of my life back to Blackpool to celebrate it was f@cking mental there had a great night with sunderland fans who beat liverpool to stay up happy days

in the manchester pub on the seafront? i was there
For the oldies on 08:28 - May 4 with 1406 viewssomersetsimon

For the oldies on 07:42 - May 4 by Starsky

Remembering absent friends who attended this great occasion. RIP yjbs
[Post edited 4 May 2016 7:43]

My dad took me to the match. He'd been saying all week that he couldn't get tickets, then on Friday evening he told me he had match tickets and train tickets, so he must have had them for ages!

30 years later, I took my son to Wembley to see our next promotion to the top tier!

We were in line with the Preston 18 yard line in the first half (I can remember that the crossbar looked like it had a big curve in it). I think Leighton's goal was so important that people forget what a brilliant goal it was, one of the best I've ever seen for the Swans.
For the oldies on 08:44 - May 4 with 1397 viewsAl_Bundy

Apart from winning.. the other great aspects of the day was..

The train journey through Cardiff outward and return

The double decker buses that were laid on at the station which almost toppled over

The Blackburn fans in the ground and at Stoke station after the match

The away end terracing - don't think anyone actually was in one place too long !
For the oldies on 10:01 - May 4 with 1375 viewsBrynmill_Jack

For the oldies on 23:57 - May 3 by londonlisa2001

God was it really 35 years ago - of course it must be. Can remember it as clearly as if it was last week. Picking up the bus from the old bus garage behind the East Bank with my father. Brother upset because he was only 9 and my Mum wouldn't let him go with us. I was only 13 so had a seat rather than the bank - wouldn't have been able to see anything on the bank. Sat in a stand full of Swans fans next to the away bank - opposite side to where Leighton cut in from.

Just everyone screaming when Charlo's went in - been a bit under the cosh before that. Players up on the fences.

That walk back to the buses. People falling asleep on the way back with emotional exhaustion. Woken up every half hour by someone on the bus yelling come one mun we won, why aren't we singing to be greeted by a few half hearted songs before everyone went back to sleep. Back into Swansea in the middle of the night in a huge convoy with cars everywhere around the Vetch waiting for the buses to take everyone home.

Racing to look at the Post (which I still have - the 'First Division' one).

I'd be alright if I could remember everything else from the last 35 years as clearly as I can remember that day !!

Looks like the other 13 years olds didn't have to go in the mosh pit then. Thanks dad!!!
(Google's childline number)

For the oldies on 10:06 - May 4 with 1367 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Forever grateful my dad took me up there .

We sat on a bench eating chips in a park I think ,watching Preston fans stone the swans busses as they passed .

Sat on a barrier right behind the goal ,couldn't have been many younger there than me that day 😄

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

For the oldies on 10:08 - May 4 with 1366 viewsBrynmill_Jack

For the oldies on 10:06 - May 4 by oh_tommy_tommy

Forever grateful my dad took me up there .

We sat on a bench eating chips in a park I think ,watching Preston fans stone the swans busses as they passed .

Sat on a barrier right behind the goal ,couldn't have been many younger there than me that day 😄

How old were you then NSJ?

For the oldies on 10:14 - May 4 with 1362 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

For the oldies on 10:08 - May 4 by Brynmill_Jack

How old were you then NSJ?

May 1981 ,I was 8

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

For the oldies on 12:23 - May 4 with 1318 viewsBrynmill_Jack

For the oldies on 10:14 - May 4 by oh_tommy_tommy

May 1981 ,I was 8

Good God man, i thought you were older than me mwaaahaahaahaahaaa

For the oldies on 17:00 - May 4 with 1274 viewscanhecatchit

All I remember of the busses fron the train station, was the seat padding had gone and there was only play boards, also our bus had a flat tyre and I remember every single bump we went over LOL

Game was a cracker, 500 Blackburn fans over to our left so gutted that we won the match and beat them on goal difference :)

Hell of a goal from Leights, Tommy hammered in the second through the Keeper, and under the cosh. Don't know whatCharlo must have thought of the big groan as Robbie passed the ball to him, with us all thinking Oh God he will miss this LOL But sure enough he used his wrong foot and buried it low and hard passed the advancing keeper( Cue great Celebration ) Great day!!!

Swansea City, my one and only love , oh and then there's the Wife

For the oldies on 17:09 - May 4 with 1272 viewslondonlisa2001

For the oldies on 10:01 - May 4 by Brynmill_Jack

Looks like the other 13 years olds didn't have to go in the mosh pit then. Thanks dad!!!
(Google's childline number)

Dads are always more bothered about their young daughters I suspect !

I was short as well (still am) so could never see anything!
[Post edited 4 May 2016 17:09]
For the oldies on 18:32 - May 4 with 1233 viewsoldgrey

I was there and it was a particularly memorable day because as well as the result, I won £100 on the scratch card thing on the bus on the way up (that was a lot of money in 1981, paid for next years season), plus it was and is my birthday.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024