Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Most Popular Beers in the States, by state 19:38 - May 2 with 3303 viewsDavillin

Gee, I hope I don't get called for posting this, but here are the most popular beers in the States, by state. Just in case you're over here some day.

http://www.thedailymeal.com/drink/most-popular-beers-state-slideshow/slide-1
[Post edited 2 May 2016 19:39]

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

Most Popular Beers in the States, by state on 08:18 - May 4 with 1241 viewsLohengrin

Most Popular Beers in the States, by state on 17:14 - May 3 by Thursday

How did it taste? I had a bottle a couple of years ago and it tasted like dishwater and molasses. It was either a recipe butchered for the states, or I wasn't discerning at 15, when it was my favourite.
[Post edited 3 May 2016 17:15]

It doesn't perform well if it's drunk from the bottle as I tried to explain to the kids out there. You have to use a half glass and and just keep topping as you drink.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Most Popular Beers in the States, by state on 09:05 - May 4 with 1226 viewstrampie

The Americans seem to drink a lot of German [immigrant descendant] lagers, Hamms, Schlitz, Anheuser-Busch, etc, etc.

I have seeked out some nice 'craft' beers in the States and they seem to be getting better and better over the years, but generally their beer is still not as good as British real ale.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Most Popular Beers in the States, by state on 09:45 - May 4 with 1212 viewswaynekerr55

Most Popular Beers in the States, by state on 15:52 - May 3 by Davillin

Just out of curiosity, what is your favourite beer or lager in the States?

I can't remember the name of the cloudy beer that they sold when I frequented a pub in the centre of the nearest town (Greeley?) to the University of Northern Colorado. T'was bloody delicious though

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Most Popular Beers in the States, by state on 10:02 - May 4 with 1199 viewsTreorchyjack

Delaware wins it for me. Dogfish Head 60 minute continuously hopped IPA. Lovely stuff (if you like hops).
[Post edited 4 May 2016 10:02]
Most Popular Beers in the States, by state on 10:15 - May 4 with 1184 viewsProfessor

Most Popular Beers in the States, by state on 02:00 - May 4 by snork44

Where in Athens we have quite few micro breweries and the most famous is Terrapin which absolutely wonderful and has quite a few varieties, which follow various types of beer sold in Europe.

Tried a couple of Terrapin-Hopsecutioner and Hop Selection IPA (of which I have a couple of bottles brought back). Preferred the 'Creature Comforts' beers but Terrapin was good too. May I ask what are you dong in Athens-something related to UGA or are REM secret Jacks?
Most Popular Beers in the States, by state on 10:23 - May 4 with 1180 viewstrampie

IPA seems to be driving the American craft beer industry, they do make some excellent IPA's but that is often not the case for darker beers.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Most Popular Beers in the States, by state on 10:45 - May 4 with 1171 viewsProfessor

Most Popular Beers in the States, by state on 10:23 - May 4 by trampie

IPA seems to be driving the American craft beer industry, they do make some excellent IPA's but that is often not the case for darker beers.

Saw a few more this visit (Athens) including several porters. That said selections in bars and more in bottle & growler shops was huge
Most Popular Beers in the States, by state on 11:15 - May 4 with 1158 viewssnork44

Most Popular Beers in the States, by state on 10:15 - May 4 by Professor

Tried a couple of Terrapin-Hopsecutioner and Hop Selection IPA (of which I have a couple of bottles brought back). Preferred the 'Creature Comforts' beers but Terrapin was good too. May I ask what are you dong in Athens-something related to UGA or are REM secret Jacks?

I am married to a Southerner and she is local girl who studied at UGA, so we live 20 mins from Athens and I work in Athens. Americans are funny, as soon as they hear my Swansea accent they assume I am an Aussie!

Premier Snork now watching from the USA
Poll: What do you prefer on Planet Swans after a game?

Login to get fewer ads

Most Popular Beers in the States, by state on 12:13 - May 4 with 1140 viewsProfessor

Most Popular Beers in the States, by state on 11:15 - May 4 by snork44

I am married to a Southerner and she is local girl who studied at UGA, so we live 20 mins from Athens and I work in Athens. Americans are funny, as soon as they hear my Swansea accent they assume I am an Aussie!

Was there last month visiting UGA. Nice place and people. The stadium was quite a surprise. UGA is huge given it only has few thousand more students than Liverpool where I work. The vet school has fewer students but is about 4 times larger
Most Popular Beers in the States, by state on 14:41 - May 4 with 1117 viewssnork44

Most Popular Beers in the States, by state on 12:13 - May 4 by Professor

Was there last month visiting UGA. Nice place and people. The stadium was quite a surprise. UGA is huge given it only has few thousand more students than Liverpool where I work. The vet school has fewer students but is about 4 times larger

The stadium is amazing considering it caters for second tier football which equates to our championship football. The stadium capacity is 92,726, which is amazing for a lower grade of football compared to the NFL.

Most Popular Beers in the States, by state on 15:29 - May 4 with 1104 viewsDavillin

Most Popular Beers in the States, by state on 14:41 - May 4 by snork44

The stadium is amazing considering it caters for second tier football which equates to our championship football. The stadium capacity is 92,726, which is amazing for a lower grade of football compared to the NFL.

This is not in argument, but there are those who think that NCAA football is superior to NFL, or at least co-equal.

I have not done the research, but I'd guess there are more large stadiums in NCAA, and higher total attendance. Just a guess. Well, two guesses.

p.s. I like'em both.

Most Popular Beers in the States, by state on 17:01 - May 4 with 1093 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Most Popular Beers in the States, by state on 15:29 - May 4 by Davillin

This is not in argument, but there are those who think that NCAA football is superior to NFL, or at least co-equal.

I have not done the research, but I'd guess there are more large stadiums in NCAA, and higher total attendance. Just a guess. Well, two guesses.

p.s. I like'em both.

Probably true for the 5 "power" conferences. There are 8 college football stadiums that seat over 100K (including two in Texas - UT and A&M), and most of them are full or close to it for every game.

Compare that to the NFL, where the largest last season (Giants/Jets Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey) seated only 83K.

I prefer college football to the NFL for the following reasons:

* much better, rowdier atmosphere in big time college football - more like British football than the NFL;
* most of the players are usually from the school's state or region;
* schemes are diverse - not like the NFL where every offense is pretty much the same except for the 49ers (Chip Kelly).

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

Most Popular Beers in the States, by state on 17:54 - May 4 with 1073 viewssnork44

Most Popular Beers in the States, by state on 15:29 - May 4 by Davillin

p.s. I like'em both.

It probably is , I have always logically thought that the professional game was superior to the college game! Obviously seeing various college stars moving on to the NFL teams in the draft after their semester is telling. I know the pro-game pays a shit load of money, but what is the percentage of players moving to other fields other than football or others sports fields after they finish their college education ?

Most Popular Beers in the States, by state on 18:58 - May 4 with 1052 viewsDavillin

Most Popular Beers in the States, by state on 17:54 - May 4 by snork44

It probably is , I have always logically thought that the professional game was superior to the college game! Obviously seeing various college stars moving on to the NFL teams in the draft after their semester is telling. I know the pro-game pays a shit load of money, but what is the percentage of players moving to other fields other than football or others sports fields after they finish their college education ?

I can't answer your last question off the top of my head, but there were only about 250 college players drafted this year. Add to that a relatively small number of undrafted players entering the NFL, and that leaves a very large number not moving up.

p.s. There are 25 universities and colleges with football programs in Pennsylvania alone. At a guess of an average of ten graduating seniors each [very lowball estimate], that makes 250 players not going to the NFL from Pennsylvania alone.

Most Popular Beers in the States, by state on 19:05 - May 4 with 1049 viewslondonlisa2001

Most Popular Beers in the States, by state on 18:58 - May 4 by Davillin

I can't answer your last question off the top of my head, but there were only about 250 college players drafted this year. Add to that a relatively small number of undrafted players entering the NFL, and that leaves a very large number not moving up.

p.s. There are 25 universities and colleges with football programs in Pennsylvania alone. At a guess of an average of ten graduating seniors each [very lowball estimate], that makes 250 players not going to the NFL from Pennsylvania alone.

Are there ever players drafted into the NFL from the smaller universities or colleges or are they always from the same group? Of the bits I've ever seen of the draft the universities always seem to be the same ones.

I don't know enough about the game but presumably there must be the odd played that 'only' gets in to a small university but develops later so could be good enough for the top level?
Most Popular Beers in the States, by state on 19:07 - May 4 with 1061 viewsnice_to_michu

I wouldn't say that college football is "second tier" necessarily. It's a feeder league to the NFL, sure, but for some cities such as Austin, Ann Arbor, Tuscaloosa and so on, college football is their big sorting attraction.

Given that there are only 32 NFL teams, the various large towns and cities (particularly college towns) around the nation are crazy about their college teams. If you lived in Albuquerque, New Mexico, who else would a sports fan follow aside from a minor league baseball team?

I like college football, but I much prefer the NFL, particularly when it comes to Fantasy Football etc etc.
[Post edited 4 May 2016 19:08]
Most Popular Beers in the States, by state on 19:17 - May 4 with 1053 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Most Popular Beers in the States, by state on 19:05 - May 4 by londonlisa2001

Are there ever players drafted into the NFL from the smaller universities or colleges or are they always from the same group? Of the bits I've ever seen of the draft the universities always seem to be the same ones.

I don't know enough about the game but presumably there must be the odd played that 'only' gets in to a small university but develops later so could be good enough for the top level?

That happens plenty of times, usually in the later rounds though. Or sometimes small school guys make their way as an undrafted free agent. Too often, big school guys are considered "safer" picks because they proved themselves against competition. Carson Wentz - a QB who was the 2nd pick this year out of North Dakota State, was the only 1st round pick this time who didn't play at the top division of college fb.

Arguably the greatest wide receiver of all time - Jerry Rice - came from tiny Mississippi Valley State. He was a 1st round pick, but that is still pretty rare.

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

Most Popular Beers in the States, by state on 19:19 - May 4 with 1048 viewsnice_to_michu

Most Popular Beers in the States, by state on 19:05 - May 4 by londonlisa2001

Yeh a good proportion of the guys drafted will be from the "power" conferences (divisions). You will get a few drafted from smaller teams such as the second pick in the draft this year, Carson Wentz from North Dakota.

The rationale for drafting players from the top conferences usually comes down to the fact that a player has performed well against other top players, and therefore is more likely to do well (in a scouts opinion).
Most Popular Beers in the States, by state on 20:03 - May 4 with 1027 viewslondonlisa2001

Most Popular Beers in the States, by state on 19:17 - May 4 by Tummer_from_Texas

That happens plenty of times, usually in the later rounds though. Or sometimes small school guys make their way as an undrafted free agent. Too often, big school guys are considered "safer" picks because they proved themselves against competition. Carson Wentz - a QB who was the 2nd pick this year out of North Dakota State, was the only 1st round pick this time who didn't play at the top division of college fb.

Arguably the greatest wide receiver of all time - Jerry Rice - came from tiny Mississippi Valley State. He was a 1st round pick, but that is still pretty rare.

That's interesting - so the scouting system casts its net wide then. I was reading a bit about the draft this week (it was about some guy who was going to be drafted first but his step father posted a video on his Twitter account of him taking drugs or something I think, so he was dropped right down) and they all seemed to be from the same universities.

I was interested to see that depending on where you get drafted it determines your pay - I didn't know that.
Most Popular Beers in the States, by state on 20:08 - May 4 with 1026 viewslondonlisa2001

Most Popular Beers in the States, by state on 19:19 - May 4 by nice_to_michu

Yeh a good proportion of the guys drafted will be from the "power" conferences (divisions). You will get a few drafted from smaller teams such as the second pick in the draft this year, Carson Wentz from North Dakota.

The rationale for drafting players from the top conferences usually comes down to the fact that a player has performed well against other top players, and therefore is more likely to do well (in a scouts opinion).

Makes sense. It does assume though that a player that is 'best' at 18 or so (so goes to a better college) will stil be best at 23 (or whenever they play in the NFL).

I guess the really talented ones shine anyway, maybe the more average ones that could have made it don't if they are at a smaller university but do if they are at a bigger one.

Much the same in football I guess - the ones that are best at a very young age have a head start in being picked up by clubs and therefore exposed to better training etc. Harder if you mature later on, although of course it does happen as evidenced by people like Vardy, or ash, or Ian Wright.
Most Popular Beers in the States, by state on 20:15 - May 4 with 1022 viewsdickythorpe

Most Popular Beers in the States, by state on 20:08 - May 4 by londonlisa2001

Makes sense. It does assume though that a player that is 'best' at 18 or so (so goes to a better college) will stil be best at 23 (or whenever they play in the NFL).

I guess the really talented ones shine anyway, maybe the more average ones that could have made it don't if they are at a smaller university but do if they are at a bigger one.

Much the same in football I guess - the ones that are best at a very young age have a head start in being picked up by clubs and therefore exposed to better training etc. Harder if you mature later on, although of course it does happen as evidenced by people like Vardy, or ash, or Ian Wright.

Lee trundle. (just saying like)
Most Popular Beers in the States, by state on 20:28 - May 4 with 1018 viewslondonlisa2001

Most Popular Beers in the States, by state on 20:15 - May 4 by dickythorpe

Lee trundle. (just saying like)

I was thinking of a Premier League but there are lots at a lower level I imagine (no offence to LT10)
Most Popular Beers in the States, by state on 21:13 - May 4 with 996 viewsJonnyTheJack

Most Popular Beers in the States, by state on 20:08 - May 4 by londonlisa2001

Yeah when they're recruited out of high school every prospect is given a star rating out of 5. (5 being the best)

There's some stats here about the number of 5* players drafted compared to others. http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/174883892/predicting-best-nfl-draft-prospec

It doesn't really mean much though, JJ Watt was a 2 star recruit and now he's the best defensive player in the NFL. (And signed a $100m contract a couple of years ago)

There's some cool stories every year like this year a guy playing in Germany was the first ever guy to be drafted from a European team.
Most Popular Beers in the States, by state on 09:48 - May 5 with 965 viewsProfessor

Most Popular Beers in the States, by state on 17:01 - May 4 by Tummer_from_Texas

Probably true for the 5 "power" conferences. There are 8 college football stadiums that seat over 100K (including two in Texas - UT and A&M), and most of them are full or close to it for every game.

Compare that to the NFL, where the largest last season (Giants/Jets Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey) seated only 83K.

I prefer college football to the NFL for the following reasons:

* much better, rowdier atmosphere in big time college football - more like British football than the NFL;
* most of the players are usually from the school's state or region;
* schemes are diverse - not like the NFL where every offense is pretty much the same except for the 49ers (Chip Kelly).

Was thinking about the stadium size comparing UGA's Sandford Stadium to the Liberty. Athens-Clarke county has a population of around 120,000 and UGA around 30,000 students- Stadium of roughly 95K
City and County of Swansea around 240,000 and the University about 15,000. The equivalent would be a stadium of around 160K-and we struggle to expand to 30K
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024