Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just out of curiosity, what are the reasons for retaining Guidolin? 00:48 - May 3 with 8349 viewsDavillin

Just out of curiosity, what are your reasons for retaining Guidolin?

I wanted to start it off with one I thought most important, but I'm stuck between two. [I am far more interested in your choices!]

1. He's a winner.

2. He followed Swansea because he admired the style before we ever hired him; he was glad to take on the Herculean task of saving Swansea from the drop; and he has said most clearly that he wants to continue here.

Yours?

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

Just out of curiosity, what are the reasons for retaining Guidolin? on 01:40 - May 3 with 4449 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Player development. Mostly in Italy but we've perhaps seen a bit of it at Swansea already with Montero.

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

Just out of curiosity, what are the reasons for retaining Guidolin? on 01:48 - May 3 with 4438 viewsSwansNZ

I’d say he would have very good contacts and player knowledge in Italy at least. Maybe he could find us the next Michio

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

Just out of curiosity, what are the reasons for retaining Guidolin? on 05:13 - May 3 with 4382 viewsGlyn1

(1) Improved results even if not always improved performances. Anyone who can get wins against Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool and a draw away to Stoke won't get us relegated. (And yes, I do realise the contribution that Alan Curtis made - they seem to make a good partnership.)

(2) A reputation for attacking play that he hasn't been able to show us so far, but could do if he gets some breathing space.

(3) The club needs stability during a time of transition. Haven't we had four managers in the last couple of years, i.e. Laudrup, Monk, Curtis and Guidolin? We don't need a fifth one right now.
[Post edited 3 May 2016 5:14]

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Just out of curiosity, what are the reasons for retaining Guidolin? on 05:26 - May 3 with 4373 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Just out of curiosity, what are the reasons for retaining Guidolin? on 05:13 - May 3 by Glyn1

(1) Improved results even if not always improved performances. Anyone who can get wins against Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool and a draw away to Stoke won't get us relegated. (And yes, I do realise the contribution that Alan Curtis made - they seem to make a good partnership.)

(2) A reputation for attacking play that he hasn't been able to show us so far, but could do if he gets some breathing space.

(3) The club needs stability during a time of transition. Haven't we had four managers in the last couple of years, i.e. Laudrup, Monk, Curtis and Guidolin? We don't need a fifth one right now.
[Post edited 3 May 2016 5:14]

It must have been difficult for him with the hand he was dealt , a side ageing in defence and unbalanced in midfield and attack. This has been due in the main to Monk's blind loyalty to some of our senior players.

I'd be curious to see what he could do with a 20-25 million war chest - I reckon he could get 5 or 6 decent players in for that. And that's JUST what we need, some proper fresh blood and fresh attitude.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Just out of curiosity, what are the reasons for retaining Guidolin? on 07:28 - May 3 with 4266 viewsbarry_island

He along with Curt have a better record since January than all bar Ranieri and Pochettino.

His likely knowledge of Italian / Balkan transfer markets could be the boost / refresh our club needs this summer. The alternative will probably mean Scott Sinclair, Borini and Flanagan and Allen from Liverpool, and a coaching role for Monk.

PS I would definitely have Allen back if the price is right.

Swansea City, THE Austerity Club.

Just out of curiosity, what are the reasons for retaining Guidolin? on 07:47 - May 3 with 4231 viewsAnotherJohn

I agree with most of the reasons given above, but the key issue for me is that we need to rebuild the team. Guidolin has assembled several successful teams on limited budgets, and has good European contacts, especially in the Italian market. His main rival failed to re-energise Liverpool, despite spending tens of £millions, and has never put together a small team on a budget. If we do not choose Guido then we must look towards somebody else with a track record of rebuilding.
Just out of curiosity, what are the reasons for retaining Guidolin? on 08:26 - May 3 with 4164 viewsexiledinenglandjack

I might be old school in thinking on this matter, but i agree with others on here, he believed in us, when arguably a lot of people on here, including myself couldn't see a way out of the mess we were in. That for one for me is a massive point, obviously without knowing all the facts its hard to pass judgement, but IF BR was offered and turned it down, i wouldn't want him in the summer.

Also, i believe that with a full pre-season, we will see a different set up under Guido tactics wise and i would fully back him to push us onto a new level next season.
Just out of curiosity, what are the reasons for retaining Guidolin? on 08:50 - May 3 with 4104 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Just out of curiosity, what are the reasons for retaining Guidolin? on 08:26 - May 3 by exiledinenglandjack

I might be old school in thinking on this matter, but i agree with others on here, he believed in us, when arguably a lot of people on here, including myself couldn't see a way out of the mess we were in. That for one for me is a massive point, obviously without knowing all the facts its hard to pass judgement, but IF BR was offered and turned it down, i wouldn't want him in the summer.

Also, i believe that with a full pre-season, we will see a different set up under Guido tactics wise and i would fully back him to push us onto a new level next season.

Karma innit, what goes around comes around, there are many different labels for it.

The fact is that he wanted to dig the board out of a tremendous crap heap , which he's done, and made them all a lot of money (premier league clubs are worth zillions of times more than Championship clubs - which is what we would have been if not for Guido).

He's had nearly six months to weigh up the strengths and weaknesses of the squad so he knows from the inside what's needed.

He has the contacts to bring in some good players, which is what we need.

He won't be expensive either!

If Rodgers comes in expect 3 year contracts on big money for Ash, Taylor and Rangel and an imminent relegation next season. He's far too pally with the players. It's not how it should be.

Login to get fewer ads

Just out of curiosity, what are the reasons for retaining Guidolin? on 08:57 - May 3 with 4082 viewshammy

Would definitely like to see him given the job next season, for most of the reasons already mentioned above. The only real blip in his short tenure was the 4-0 against Leicester; his comments before the game regarding wanting Ranieri to win the PL probably didn't help.

However, from the interview that HJ gave to BT Sport on Saturday it doesn't look too good for him :(

C'mon Bony shoot !!!!

Just out of curiosity, what are the reasons for retaining Guidolin? on 09:04 - May 3 with 4062 viewsjack_lord

Another reason, to stop Rodgers getting his soiled mitts back on our club. I am not sure he has any pull with the Chelsea academy any more to bring starlets into our squad that would make any difference.

As long as Guido stays away from the Diamond then it is a big yes from me. I fear that the greedy barstards have another plan though.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

Just out of curiosity, what are the reasons for retaining Guidolin? on 09:13 - May 3 with 4044 viewsDafyddHuw

Yes but the board have already signed up Brendan.
Just out of curiosity, what are the reasons for retaining Guidolin? on 09:16 - May 3 with 4034 viewsYr_Arglwydd_Rhys

(1) Pedigree with smaller clubs in top level.

(2) Record with us this season. Since he came we've been one of the top performers in the league in terms of results, and that's with Guidolin using Monk's squad.

(3) New ideas, particularly when given his own players to work with.

(4) Decades of experience, knowledge and international connections.

(5) Record with brining youngsters through.

(6) Stability and avoiding pressing the re-set button again.

Whilst I can understand the professional caution over announcing the manager for next season until safety is assured, the talk of Brendan drives me to a level of anger I rarely experience.

I believe Brendan would be a regressive step, favoured by those who confuse the elation he brought with promotion and survival in the Premier League with 'success' for today's Swansea City. Sure, they were heady days of justified delight, but that is not where we are now. I want to move on from those days. Brendan is not moving on.

Post script: I just noticed that none of the reasons I gave for keeping Guidolin apply to Brendan.
[Post edited 3 May 2016 9:31]
Just out of curiosity, what are the reasons for retaining Guidolin? on 09:20 - May 3 with 4018 viewsjasper_T

To spite the sh!t-spreading journos.
Just out of curiosity, what are the reasons for retaining Guidolin? on 09:21 - May 3 with 4015 viewsJethroJack

GIVE GUIDO THE GIG....it should be a no brainer.
He's got all the necessary qualities....
Experience
Contacts
Guts - to take us on...and out of the brown stuff.
Tactically astute.
He's not a Billy Big Bollox.

I fear though that the club will treat him badly & allow him to go to Watford....who will go on and win the Premier League next season 😜
Just out of curiosity, what are the reasons for retaining Guidolin? on 09:28 - May 3 with 3988 viewsjack247

Just out of curiosity, what are the reasons for retaining Guidolin? on 09:16 - May 3 by Yr_Arglwydd_Rhys

(1) Pedigree with smaller clubs in top level.

(2) Record with us this season. Since he came we've been one of the top performers in the league in terms of results, and that's with Guidolin using Monk's squad.

(3) New ideas, particularly when given his own players to work with.

(4) Decades of experience, knowledge and international connections.

(5) Record with brining youngsters through.

(6) Stability and avoiding pressing the re-set button again.

Whilst I can understand the professional caution over announcing the manager for next season until safety is assured, the talk of Brendan drives me to a level of anger I rarely experience.

I believe Brendan would be a regressive step, favoured by those who confuse the elation he brought with promotion and survival in the Premier League with 'success' for today's Swansea City. Sure, they were heady days of justified delight, but that is not where we are now. I want to move on from those days. Brendan is not moving on.

Post script: I just noticed that none of the reasons I gave for keeping Guidolin apply to Brendan.
[Post edited 3 May 2016 9:31]

Pros

He wins football matches
He develops players
He has a long history of succeeding with less fashionable clubs in Italy
He probably won't need the budget Rodgers or other big names would demand

Cons

We lost twice in a row
We only beat Aston Villa 1-0
He smokes
Just out of curiosity, what are the reasons for retaining Guidolin? on 09:33 - May 3 with 3977 viewscostalotta

All of this...

The statos will probably know the answer and it's probably already been said but out of all the managers we've had in the prem I reckon his win record (percentage and ratios) is likely to the best we've had. Given the squad and situation he inherited what's he's (and curtis with backroom Staff) have achieved is amazing and if the board are at not least favourably considering keeping him then that would speak volumes about where their at and their knowledge of football!
Just out of curiosity, what are the reasons for retaining Guidolin? on 09:38 - May 3 with 3962 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Just out of curiosity, what are the reasons for retaining Guidolin? on 09:28 - May 3 by jack247

Pros

He wins football matches
He develops players
He has a long history of succeeding with less fashionable clubs in Italy
He probably won't need the budget Rodgers or other big names would demand

Cons

We lost twice in a row
We only beat Aston Villa 1-0
He smokes

And he's a rain dodger.

And he makes crazy substitutions that result in us only beating Liverpool 3 - 1.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Just out of curiosity, what are the reasons for retaining Guidolin? on 09:39 - May 3 with 3962 viewsjack247

Just out of curiosity, what are the reasons for retaining Guidolin? on 09:33 - May 3 by costalotta

All of this...

The statos will probably know the answer and it's probably already been said but out of all the managers we've had in the prem I reckon his win record (percentage and ratios) is likely to the best we've had. Given the squad and situation he inherited what's he's (and curtis with backroom Staff) have achieved is amazing and if the board are at not least favourably considering keeping him then that would speak volumes about where their at and their knowledge of football!

I get the feeling this one may slip through our fingers.

The only comfort I take is they have been bloody good with their managerial appointments to date.
Just out of curiosity, what are the reasons for retaining Guidolin? on 09:43 - May 3 with 3944 viewsDarran

Just out of curiosity, what are the reasons for retaining Guidolin? on 09:39 - May 3 by jack247

I get the feeling this one may slip through our fingers.

The only comfort I take is they have been bloody good with their managerial appointments to date.

Oh FFS his percentage is going to be the highest when he's managed the least amount of games.

Garry Monk had the highest percentage ever in world football after we beat Cardiff in his first game.

Kin hell mun.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Just out of curiosity, what are the reasons for retaining Guidolin? on 09:47 - May 3 with 3937 viewsjasper_T

Just out of curiosity, what are the reasons for retaining Guidolin? on 09:43 - May 3 by Darran

Oh FFS his percentage is going to be the highest when he's managed the least amount of games.

Garry Monk had the highest percentage ever in world football after we beat Cardiff in his first game.

Kin hell mun.

And then the lowest soon after.

After half a season that percentage becomes relevant imo.
Just out of curiosity, what are the reasons for retaining Guidolin? on 09:48 - May 3 with 3934 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Just out of curiosity, what are the reasons for retaining Guidolin? on 09:43 - May 3 by Darran

Kin hell mun.

For absolute b*llocks statements that on is right up there. Leave this thread to the people who actually know something about football. There's more to it than selfies and autograph hunting you know...................

Just out of curiosity, what are the reasons for retaining Guidolin? on 09:51 - May 3 with 3927 viewsDarran

Just out of curiosity, what are the reasons for retaining Guidolin? on 09:47 - May 3 by jasper_T

And then the lowest soon after.

After half a season that percentage becomes relevant imo.

Yeah and you can guarantee it'll be a hell of a lot lower after a whole season.

Just out of curiosity, what are the reasons for retaining Guidolin? on 09:56 - May 3 with 3905 viewsdickythorpe

Reasons for retaining him - he's different and what could he get out of this team with a full pre-season?

Reasons for not- does he have a "presence" or an "aura" the players respect?
Just out of curiosity, what are the reasons for retaining Guidolin? on 10:21 - May 3 with 3863 viewsDarran

Just out of curiosity, what are the reasons for retaining Guidolin? on 09:56 - May 3 by dickythorpe

Reasons for retaining him - he's different and what could he get out of this team with a full pre-season?

Reasons for not- does he have a "presence" or an "aura" the players respect?

He's got a percentage Dick.

Just out of curiosity, what are the reasons for retaining Guidolin? on 10:22 - May 3 with 3859 viewsjack247

Kin hell mun.

Sorry Darran that's just laughable.

If we are going to get silly about it we may as well claim to have a 100% success rate from set plays based on all the corners we had in the 20th minute of Sunday's game.

Guidolin has been here nearly half a season like.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024