Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Biggest sporting shocks ever 12:17 - May 3 with 3252 viewsMrSwerve

The Leicester league win has been touted by many to have been the biggest sporting shock ever, in any sport. I think in terms of the odds (5000-1) it was the least likely thing to ever happen.

Any idea/opinion on if there have been bigger shocks than this, in any sport?

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Biggest sporting shocks ever on 12:34 - May 3 with 2161 viewsAquinas

I can't think of anything close. There have been some massive boxing upsets but that is in a two horse race.

5000/1 will never be offered by a bookie again for any team.
Biggest sporting shocks ever on 12:46 - May 3 with 2148 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Denmark winning the Euro's maybe.

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Biggest sporting shocks ever on 12:48 - May 3 with 2146 viewsscottishjack

Greece 2004 were big outsiders...

Don't know what odds you would've got on Denmark winning Euro 92 considering they failed to qualify...

Leicester tops both of them mind you.
Biggest sporting shocks ever on 12:52 - May 3 with 2140 viewsJohnw102

Bottom's Ashes match big turn round. Buster Douglas beating Mike Tyson. but as has been said these were 1 on 1s

Never knew getting old would happen so quick!

Biggest sporting shocks ever on 12:53 - May 3 with 2140 viewsdickythorpe

How many were on Leicester with a £1 or so?

Then how many were on with £200 to win a million? ( that I assume would have been the max)
Biggest sporting shocks ever on 13:06 - May 3 with 2122 viewssherpajacob

The closest in terms of winning the league is clough winning the first division with previously unfancied derby then forest. But still don't come really close to leicester.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Biggest sporting shocks ever on 13:13 - May 3 with 2110 viewsHighjack

Biggest sporting shocks ever on 12:48 - May 3 by scottishjack

Greece 2004 were big outsiders...

Don't know what odds you would've got on Denmark winning Euro 92 considering they failed to qualify...

Leicester tops both of them mind you.

I wouldn't say Greece were massive outsiders, they had gone about 2 years unbeaten before the tournament. Denmark definitely were outsiders considering they didn't even qualify for the tournament in the first place. It was only the break up of Yugoslavia that allowed them in.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Biggest sporting shocks ever on 13:16 - May 3 with 2104 viewsdickythorpe

100/1 Grand National winner Mon Mome in a field of 40 challengers and 100/1 Melbourne Cup winner Pirate of Penzance are recent "shocks" in horse racing.

5000/1 as someone has said wont be seen again in the Prem that only consists of 20 teams.

If an analysis is done on why football accas dont win every week I suppose you'd see that every team that is odds on can obviously have an off day, but like us against Sunderland poor decision making like officials missing offsides that lead to goals and dodgy sending offs always mean that betting on the underdog can in time pay off.

Anyway I just wish i'd had a quid on all teams to win like a mate I know in work THE JAMMY FECKER!!!!!!!
Login to get fewer ads

Biggest sporting shocks ever on 13:26 - May 3 with 2091 viewssherpajacob

Biggest sporting shocks ever on 13:13 - May 3 by Highjack

I wouldn't say Greece were massive outsiders, they had gone about 2 years unbeaten before the tournament. Denmark definitely were outsiders considering they didn't even qualify for the tournament in the first place. It was only the break up of Yugoslavia that allowed them in.

Denmark were clearly outsiders when they failed to qualify, but the Yugoslavia situation had been simmering a while and it was known they might have to be replaced.. Wales were even in the running at one point. Plus denmark had a quality team and vitally a great goalkeeper. So a few did tip denmark as outsiders.

anybody can put a 6 game run together to win a tournament. Even England managed it,(with the help of some dodgy refereeing and official gerrymandering)

We can dream for Wales this summer.

Biggest sporting shocks ever on 14:10 - May 3 with 2044 viewsjackportis

Buster Douglas

Jackportis the brand. “A gifted poster”, “planet swans have a real talent on their hands in the name of Jackportis” sky sports 2018. . JP fully supports posters of LBG, mx orientation and ethnic minority groups. Update - now fully supporting the pansexual community.

Biggest sporting shocks ever on 14:17 - May 3 with 2028 viewsPhil_S

I'm sure I heard this morning someone say on the radio or TV that there were only 43 people that backed them at 5000/1

25000 of them were amongst the 35000 people that watched us beat Hull
Biggest sporting shocks ever on 15:31 - May 3 with 1979 viewsjackonicko

You can get 50/1 on them being relegated next year.

Lump on.
Biggest sporting shocks ever on 17:05 - May 3 with 1934 viewsblueytheblue

Don't think David Conn is as enamoured as most of the media - the whole FFP issue, Leicester still spent 100m... ruins the narrative a bit.

Poll: Alternate POTY final

Biggest sporting shocks ever on 17:12 - May 3 with 1928 viewsfbreath

This thread got me thinking which is most difficult, win the premier league, 9 darter or 147 in snooker

We are the first Welsh club to reach the Premier League Simples

Biggest sporting shocks ever on 17:54 - May 3 with 1903 viewsmax936

The bookies have been scared off, they've put a 2000/1 cap on the betting for Burnley to win it

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Biggest sporting shocks ever on 18:02 - May 3 with 1887 viewsCountyJim

Still a good result for the Bookies isnt it
Biggest sporting shocks ever on 19:00 - May 3 with 1849 viewsTummer_from_Texas

In the USA I've heard it compared to the New York "Miracle" Mets in the 1960's, but even they were only 100/1. I keep trying to explain that the inequities in Premier League resources/salaries makes nothing comparable in pro sports over here.

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

Biggest sporting shocks ever on 19:02 - May 3 with 1845 viewssherpajacob

Biggest sporting shocks ever on 17:12 - May 3 by fbreath

This thread got me thinking which is most difficult, win the premier league, 9 darter or 147 in snooker

Since 1992
There have been over 100 147s by over 30 different players.
46 televised 9 darters by 21 different players.
The 24 Pl titles have been won by 6 different clubs and 8 different managers.
Then again Nathan Dyer has won the pl, so how hard can it be?

Biggest sporting shocks ever on 19:05 - May 3 with 1840 viewsblueytheblue

Even better.

We had Ross Turnbull on loan for us, bloody useless. Eventually left Boro and was picked up by Chelsea, getting Prem league winners medal AND a CL winners medal... barely played, was signed to fill the quota of English players...

Biggest sporting shocks ever on 19:18 - May 3 with 1827 viewsAquinas

Just looked at the odds for the winner next season. All the sh*t teams have been capped at 1000/1.

I think this will be a once in a lifetime thing. The bookies were convinced Leicester wouldn't do it. Even 5 points clear Leicester were7/4 in feb.

For those interested here is a link to how the odds changed over the season - http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/article/165/10258871/premier-league-20
Biggest sporting shocks ever on 19:28 - May 3 with 1808 viewsMrSwerve

Tell you what, Leicester at 33-1 ain't a bad shout. Obviously depends what happens over the summer and how much the others strengthen, but they look just as good as anyone at the end of this season.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Biggest sporting shocks ever on 19:30 - May 3 with 1806 viewsblueytheblue

Leicester won't repeat. No way they get that many refereeing decisions their way this season.

Any quality will leave for bigger clubs, bigger money.

Biggest sporting shocks ever on 20:49 - May 3 with 1761 viewsmorningstar

Biggest sporting shocks ever on 14:17 - May 3 by Phil_S

I'm sure I heard this morning someone say on the radio or TV that there were only 43 people that backed them at 5000/1

Surely that should read as:

35000 of them were amongst the 25000 people that watched us beat Hull ?

Only winner of Planetswans Petulant Diva award.
Poll: Southampton home next. How many points

Biggest sporting shocks ever on 21:08 - May 3 with 1739 viewssherpajacob

Biggest sporting shocks ever on 14:17 - May 3 by Phil_S

what were the swans PL odds at the start of the season, and did anybody have a flutter,

Cashing out after Man Utd win in August would have been a good idea.

Biggest sporting shocks ever on 21:53 - May 3 with 1704 viewsLoyal

Swansea winning the league cup.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024