Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The answer is under our nose 09:18 - May 4 with 3466 viewscockneyswan

Leicester city have shown the football world what can be achieved on a small budget and average players (a la Swansea City ) with the right manager.
I'm not saying Francesco Guidolin will deliver the premier league ( that's a once in a lifetime miracle), however I do think appointing Rodgers at the expense of guido would be an enormous faux pas (fu*k up). Chelsea rejected Ranieri, I just hope in years to come were not saying why did we let Fankie go?
The answer is under our nose on 09:22 - May 4 with 2285 viewsItchySphincter

There's an exception to every rule. It was the footballing equivalent of a fluke aided by a crappy league. Don't get used to it.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

The answer is under our nose on 09:24 - May 4 with 2273 viewsDarran

Ooh a Brodge V Frankie thread just what we need.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

The answer is under our nose on 09:28 - May 4 with 2259 viewscockneyswan

The answer is under our nose on 09:22 - May 4 by ItchySphincter

There's an exception to every rule. It was the footballing equivalent of a fluke aided by a crappy league. Don't get used to it.

As I said, once in a lifetime miracle! However Southampton , Stoke, Watford, Bournemouth, et al. All punching above their weights. All got good managers not star players.
The answer is under our nose on 09:29 - May 4 with 2246 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

The answer is under our nose on 09:28 - May 4 by cockneyswan

As I said, once in a lifetime miracle! However Southampton , Stoke, Watford, Bournemouth, et al. All punching above their weights. All got good managers not star players.

Bournemouth have been naughty

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

The answer is under our nose on 09:30 - May 4 with 2239 viewscockneyswan

The answer is under our nose on 09:24 - May 4 by Darran

Ooh a Brodge V Frankie thread just what we need.

Fu*k off
The answer is under our nose on 09:33 - May 4 with 2229 viewsDarran

The answer is under our nose on 09:30 - May 4 by cockneyswan

Fu*k off

Great idea for a thread though I'm surprised nobody else thought of it.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

The answer is under our nose on 09:40 - May 4 with 2190 viewswaynekerr55

The answer is under our nose on 09:33 - May 4 by Darran

What about a Brodge V Guido V Laudrup triple threat match?

Hell in the cell?

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

The answer is under our nose on 09:49 - May 4 with 2160 viewscockneyswan

The answer is under our nose on 09:33 - May 4 by Darran

As a manure supporter I didn't expect u to be interested. Why don't you just fu*k off back to the Red Devils board!
Login to get fewer ads

The answer is under our nose on 09:55 - May 4 with 2142 viewsjack247

I think 'If Leicester can do it, why can't we?' type discussions are going to become pretty commonplace on message boards, in pubs etc across the country for the next couple of seasons.
The answer is under our nose on 10:06 - May 4 with 2115 viewsBrynmill_Jack

The answer is under our nose on 09:55 - May 4 by jack247

I think 'If Leicester can do it, why can't we?' type discussions are going to become pretty commonplace on message boards, in pubs etc across the country for the next couple of seasons.

People laughed on here when some of us had the temerity to look to improve on 8th position!
I wonder if those will be the very ones discussing it lol

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

The answer is under our nose on 10:08 - May 4 with 2111 viewsDr_Winston

We used to do it until fairly recently.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The answer is under our nose on 10:17 - May 4 with 2079 viewsjack247

The answer is under our nose on 10:06 - May 4 by Brynmill_Jack

People laughed on here when some of us had the temerity to look to improve on 8th position!
I wonder if those will be the very ones discussing it lol

Almost certainly
The answer is under our nose on 10:41 - May 4 with 2026 viewsDafyddHuw

We're punching above our weight too, and have been for the last 6 years.
The answer is under our nose on 10:45 - May 4 with 2023 views1983

The answer is under our nose on 10:41 - May 4 by DafyddHuw

Bit of sense right there

The answer is under our nose on 10:58 - May 4 with 1993 viewsjack247

The answer is under our nose on 10:41 - May 4 by DafyddHuw

I'd say we were punching above our weight, but have now moved up a few weight classes. As much as I'm bound to hear loads of people comparing us to Leicester and eventually get irritated by it, I don't think we are punching above our weight just by being in the PL anymore.
The answer is under our nose on 10:59 - May 4 with 1994 viewsClinton

You have to look at the money that's been poured into these clubs too.
Southampton, the Liebherr fortune
Stoke, the Coates family and Bet365
Watford, the Italian guy and his consortium have put money in. Also they aren't doing brilliant and they have had several managers in the last couple off years.
Bournemouth, they have some oligarch stuck about 100 million in haven't they ?

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

The answer is under our nose on 11:09 - May 4 with 1968 viewsLoyal

The answer is under our nose on 09:29 - May 4 by oh_tommy_tommy

Bournemouth have been naughty

Comparing their rise to success to ours !

The media knows nothing.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

The answer is under our nose on 11:48 - May 4 with 1907 viewsLord_Bony

The answer is under our nose on 10:58 - May 4 by jack247

I'd say we were punching above our weight, but have now moved up a few weight classes. As much as I'm bound to hear loads of people comparing us to Leicester and eventually get irritated by it, I don't think we are punching above our weight just by being in the PL anymore.

6th campaign coming up we re not punching above our weight...many see us as an established mid table premier league club...we re part of the furniture now. We always come good in the end!

We ve still got all the right cards in our hand to push higher up if we are ever lucky enough to have the right combination of team and manager working together.

We have learned our lessons from the early eighties meteoric rise and fall.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

The answer is under our nose on 11:52 - May 4 with 1895 viewsjasper_T

I agree that we need to copy Leicester and overhaul our medical department asap.
The answer is under our nose on 12:22 - May 4 with 1828 viewsBrynmill_Jack

The answer is under our nose on 10:58 - May 4 by jack247

Good post. The club is not the same entity as it was in it's first PL season, no matter what image the BYHOFS seem to want to cling on to.

The major disappointment for me is that we have become a bit lazy, i.e. whereas we scouted and got tremendous players for next to nothing prices (much in the same way as Leicester have done) we broke up a good squad , had a very good season under Monk and now we can truly see ho far we've lagged behind. And it won't be an overnight fix. We've virtually got to start all over again.

Laudrup, if he wasn't sacked would have gone at the end of his second season here- would be a fair assumption, given his itchy feet syndrome. So not to do with ML completely but we needed (as we do now) a manager who could find the same kind of bargain players and mould them into a good team.

Instead we broke with that policy and spent an awful lot on players contracts, which in itself will cause dissatisfaction among players and Gomis han't really done that great under this system. Ayew has done very well but may not fit our traditional wingman prototype.

Under FG we have a new opportunity to revive that ethos, he's a good , modest man who I think has shown his dedication and commitment to the club. Brodge will not have the contacts to get players cheaply like FG would. I also don't like the stepping back in time mentality that his appointment would confirm either.

It all seems academic though, the board are weary and can't put the effort in, the lazy appointment would be Rodgers to sell to the footballing worldy unwise Americans. They have no enthusiasm anymore, perhaps it's best they did move on. But at least sell us to someone with the hunger for success and not just a quick buck.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

The answer is under our nose on 12:59 - May 4 with 1750 viewscockneyswan

The answer is under our nose on 10:59 - May 4 by Clinton

You have to look at the money that's been poured into these clubs too.
Southampton, the Liebherr fortune
Stoke, the Coates family and Bet365
Watford, the Italian guy and his consortium have put money in. Also they aren't doing brilliant and they have had several managers in the last couple off years.
Bournemouth, they have some oligarch stuck about 100 million in haven't they ?

Southampton Stoke bournmuff and Leicester have got rich owners but I don't think any have really outspent us by much? I stand to be corrected.
The answer is under our nose on 13:00 - May 4 with 1748 viewscockneyswan

The answer is under our nose on 12:22 - May 4 by Brynmill_Jack

Good post. The club is not the same entity as it was in it's first PL season, no matter what image the BYHOFS seem to want to cling on to.

The major disappointment for me is that we have become a bit lazy, i.e. whereas we scouted and got tremendous players for next to nothing prices (much in the same way as Leicester have done) we broke up a good squad , had a very good season under Monk and now we can truly see ho far we've lagged behind. And it won't be an overnight fix. We've virtually got to start all over again.

Laudrup, if he wasn't sacked would have gone at the end of his second season here- would be a fair assumption, given his itchy feet syndrome. So not to do with ML completely but we needed (as we do now) a manager who could find the same kind of bargain players and mould them into a good team.

Instead we broke with that policy and spent an awful lot on players contracts, which in itself will cause dissatisfaction among players and Gomis han't really done that great under this system. Ayew has done very well but may not fit our traditional wingman prototype.

Under FG we have a new opportunity to revive that ethos, he's a good , modest man who I think has shown his dedication and commitment to the club. Brodge will not have the contacts to get players cheaply like FG would. I also don't like the stepping back in time mentality that his appointment would confirm either.

It all seems academic though, the board are weary and can't put the effort in, the lazy appointment would be Rodgers to sell to the footballing worldy unwise Americans. They have no enthusiasm anymore, perhaps it's best they did move on. But at least sell us to someone with the hunger for success and not just a quick buck.

Good post 👍
The answer is under our nose on 13:18 - May 4 with 1707 viewsClinton

The answer is under our nose on 12:59 - May 4 by cockneyswan

Southampton Stoke bournmuff and Leicester have got rich owners but I don't think any have really outspent us by much? I stand to be corrected.

Fair point, they aren't the biggest spenders.

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

The answer is under our nose on 13:24 - May 4 with 1684 viewsdobjack2

The answer is under our nose on 12:22 - May 4 by Brynmill_Jack

Agree with much of this. Our scouting has got lazy and a bit too clever for its own good because we are moving to the "next level" bullshirt.

Leicester have shown that there are players out there that do not cost the earth in transfer fees/signing on fees and stupid wages. They also showed that a manager and his tactics can produce a team that is better than the sum of its parts.

Will Vardy, Mahrez and Kante have seasons like that again? Possibly

Will they have so few injuries- unlikely

Will they get so many penalties and concede so few unlikely.

But will they have the same team work ethic that served us so well previously - whilst ranieri is there almost certainly.

The things to learn from Leicester are things that we knew but have forgotten we knew - to me these things were the real Swansea way.

Smart recruitment, having a style of play that gets the best out of the players (see also smart recruitment) and working hard as a team so that we could beat opposition that man for man on paper were often more talented than us.
The answer is under our nose on 13:27 - May 4 with 1678 viewsjack247

The answer is under our nose on 12:59 - May 4 by cockneyswan

I think Southampton invested massively in youth development years ago and have seen the benefits of that lately. I don't think they have spent that heavily on transfers though, especially compared to what they bring in. Stoke must be paying through the nose for the likes of Bojan and Shaquiri, but I suppose we are for Gomis and Ayew. Not sure about the others, but they don't seem to have thrown blank cheques at it. Breaking FFP in the Championship is on a different scale to spending heavily as a PL club.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024