Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The answer is under our nose 09:18 - May 4 with 3462 viewscockneyswan

Leicester city have shown the football world what can be achieved on a small budget and average players (a la Swansea City ) with the right manager.
I'm not saying Francesco Guidolin will deliver the premier league ( that's a once in a lifetime miracle), however I do think appointing Rodgers at the expense of guido would be an enormous faux pas (fu*k up). Chelsea rejected Ranieri, I just hope in years to come were not saying why did we let Fankie go?
The answer is under our nose on 13:41 - May 4 with 1205 viewsBrynmill_Jack

The answer is under our nose on 13:24 - May 4 by dobjack2

Agree with much of this. Our scouting has got lazy and a bit too clever for its own good because we are moving to the "next level" bullshirt.

Leicester have shown that there are players out there that do not cost the earth in transfer fees/signing on fees and stupid wages. They also showed that a manager and his tactics can produce a team that is better than the sum of its parts.

Will Vardy, Mahrez and Kante have seasons like that again? Possibly

Will they have so few injuries- unlikely

Will they get so many penalties and concede so few unlikely.

But will they have the same team work ethic that served us so well previously - whilst ranieri is there almost certainly.

The things to learn from Leicester are things that we knew but have forgotten we knew - to me these things were the real Swansea way.

Smart recruitment, having a style of play that gets the best out of the players (see also smart recruitment) and working hard as a team so that we could beat opposition that man for man on paper were often more talented than us.

I forgot to mention that players with big weekly wedges and signing on fees aren't going to have near the amount of hunger and desire of a player coming here to make an impression. They've had far too much wedge upfront to even be a little bit "peckish".

Leicester have got that balance right too

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

The answer is under our nose on 14:16 - May 4 with 1173 viewsdobjack2

The answer is under our nose on 13:41 - May 4 by Brynmill_Jack

I forgot to mention that players with big weekly wedges and signing on fees aren't going to have near the amount of hunger and desire of a player coming here to make an impression. They've had far too much wedge upfront to even be a little bit "peckish".

Leicester have got that balance right too

Too right - the three I mentioned are all the type of person that we were after. A hunger and desire to do well rather than a desire to pick up a big fat wage packet.

Ourlazy recruitment policy and limited tactics moved us to towards being just another club, which, given our resources compared to others, we cannot be if we want to remain in this league.

This summer needs to be back to basics on and off the pitch, otherwise we could be in bigger trouble next season.
The answer is under our nose on 14:19 - May 4 with 1170 viewsDarran

The answer is under our nose on 14:16 - May 4 by dobjack2

Too right - the three I mentioned are all the type of person that we were after. A hunger and desire to do well rather than a desire to pick up a big fat wage packet.

Ourlazy recruitment policy and limited tactics moved us to towards being just another club, which, given our resources compared to others, we cannot be if we want to remain in this league.

This summer needs to be back to basics on and off the pitch, otherwise we could be in bigger trouble next season.

You don't think anyone's going in for any of those three in the summer then?

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

The answer is under our nose on 14:29 - May 4 with 1161 viewsdobjack2

The answer is under our nose on 14:19 - May 4 by Darran

You don't think anyone's going in for any of those three in the summer then?

Of course they are. ££££ are going to be dangled in front of the players and clubs nose.

Whether they will be as effective in a different team is another issue.

Our scouting appears to have forgotten that hungry players with ability Who haven't made it yet are out there.
The answer is under our nose on 14:29 - May 4 with 1161 viewsBrynmill_Jack

The answer is under our nose on 14:16 - May 4 by dobjack2

I don't doubt we'll be relegated if our recruitment policy doesn't go back to what it was. Especially with Brendan back here

The answer is under our nose on 14:38 - May 4 with 1141 viewsblueytheblue

The answer is under our nose on 14:29 - May 4 by dobjack2

Of course they are. ££££ are going to be dangled in front of the players and clubs nose.

Whether they will be as effective in a different team is another issue.

Our scouting appears to have forgotten that hungry players with ability Who haven't made it yet are out there.

The question isn't if they will be effective elsewhere, it's if Leicester can replace them / be effective without them.

Poll: Alternate POTY final

The answer is under our nose on 14:52 - May 4 with 1124 viewsdobjack2

The answer is under our nose on 14:38 - May 4 by blueytheblue

The question isn't if they will be effective elsewhere, it's if Leicester can replace them / be effective without them.

Youve posed a different question although it is linked to the issue of players having a good season or so and going to a "bigger" club.

wilf is a prime example of where it can go wrong in football terms, although he is now not short of a bob or two.

He went to another club got £££ but is not as effective there as he was with us.

We got £££ but didn't recruit a satisfactory long term replacement and we are not as effective without him.
The answer is under our nose on 14:52 - May 4 with 1123 viewsicecoldjack

The answer is under our nose on 12:22 - May 4 by Brynmill_Jack

Good post. The club is not the same entity as it was in it's first PL season, no matter what image the BYHOFS seem to want to cling on to.

The major disappointment for me is that we have become a bit lazy, i.e. whereas we scouted and got tremendous players for next to nothing prices (much in the same way as Leicester have done) we broke up a good squad , had a very good season under Monk and now we can truly see ho far we've lagged behind. And it won't be an overnight fix. We've virtually got to start all over again.

Laudrup, if he wasn't sacked would have gone at the end of his second season here- would be a fair assumption, given his itchy feet syndrome. So not to do with ML completely but we needed (as we do now) a manager who could find the same kind of bargain players and mould them into a good team.

Instead we broke with that policy and spent an awful lot on players contracts, which in itself will cause dissatisfaction among players and Gomis han't really done that great under this system. Ayew has done very well but may not fit our traditional wingman prototype.

Under FG we have a new opportunity to revive that ethos, he's a good , modest man who I think has shown his dedication and commitment to the club. Brodge will not have the contacts to get players cheaply like FG would. I also don't like the stepping back in time mentality that his appointment would confirm either.

It all seems academic though, the board are weary and can't put the effort in, the lazy appointment would be Rodgers to sell to the footballing worldy unwise Americans. They have no enthusiasm anymore, perhaps it's best they did move on. But at least sell us to someone with the hunger for success and not just a quick buck.

Hit the Nail on the head for me.

What always set us apart was shrewd signings , that went when Monk came in, probably because huw "had it covered"

It gets harder the higher you go but there are plenty of great footballers around Europe, especially in Spain and Holland, Laudrup gave us the short cut with his name and stature in the game but both Martinez and even Brenden pulled a few pearlers for us.

Lazy seems to sum it up for me, probably too busy trying to sell the club instead of trying to recruit and find the best talent for the money.
Login to get fewer ads

The answer is under our nose on 14:59 - May 4 with 1113 viewsjasper_T

The answer is under our nose on 12:59 - May 4 by cockneyswan

Southampton Stoke bournmuff and Leicester have got rich owners but I don't think any have really outspent us by much? I stand to be corrected.

Southampton spent £15m on a centreback
The answer is under our nose on 15:01 - May 4 with 1111 viewsDarran

The answer is under our nose on 14:52 - May 4 by icecoldjack

Hit the Nail on the head for me.

What always set us apart was shrewd signings , that went when Monk came in, probably because huw "had it covered"

It gets harder the higher you go but there are plenty of great footballers around Europe, especially in Spain and Holland, Laudrup gave us the short cut with his name and stature in the game but both Martinez and even Brenden pulled a few pearlers for us.

Lazy seems to sum it up for me, probably too busy trying to sell the club instead of trying to recruit and find the best talent for the money.

Ah right so Laudrup signed N'Gog and Emnes then did he?

Move on FFS Anthony before it eats you up.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

The answer is under our nose on 15:20 - May 4 with 1086 viewsjack247

The answer is under our nose on 14:59 - May 4 by jasper_T

Southampton spent £15m on a centreback

It's relative though. They sold a full back for £25m last year, as well as Clyne, Lovren, Lallana, Schneiderlin and Chambers recently.

They spend £8-12m quite frequently, but they move players on for big bucks.
The answer is under our nose on 15:27 - May 4 with 1082 viewsdobjack2

The answer is under our nose on 15:20 - May 4 by jack247

It's relative though. They sold a full back for £25m last year, as well as Clyne, Lovren, Lallana, Schneiderlin and Chambers recently.

This is the point bluey was looking at. Almost every team has to accept that a star player will want to go elsewhere, it's how you replace them that is key.

I expect that there will be a lot of interest in Siggy in the next window. How we deal with that or any move will tell us a lot about our direction of travel.
The answer is under our nose on 15:33 - May 4 with 1069 viewsBrynmill_Jack

The answer is under our nose on 15:01 - May 4 by Darran

Ah right so Laudrup signed N'Gog and Emnes then did he?

Move on FFS Anthony before it eats you up.

No, Huw had those covered

The answer is under our nose on 15:57 - May 4 with 1052 viewsjack247

The answer is under our nose on 15:27 - May 4 by dobjack2

This is the point bluey was looking at. Almost every team has to accept that a star player will want to go elsewhere, it's how you replace them that is key.

I expect that there will be a lot of interest in Siggy in the next window. How we deal with that or any move will tell us a lot about our direction of travel.

I would expect either Siggy or Ayew to move on in the summer, but be surprised if both went. I'd imagine that whoever stays will have a free/creative role behind the striker. I know they linked well on Sunday and are very different players, but I'm not convinced they are very compatible anyway. One of them often digs us out if a hole, but they rarely both have a great game.

As a more general point, yes, anyone who really excels for us is going to get snapped up by a bigger club. That was the beauty of our first PL season. We didn't have any standout players, we just had a very good team.
The answer is under our nose on 16:19 - May 4 with 1026 viewscockneyswan

The answer is under our nose on 15:20 - May 4 by jack247

This.
I'm pretty sure Southampton transfer balance sheet would show a profit over the last two seasons, I'm not sure ours would.
The answer is under our nose on 16:30 - May 4 with 960 viewsjasper_T

The answer is under our nose on 16:19 - May 4 by cockneyswan

This.
I'm pretty sure Southampton transfer balance sheet would show a profit over the last two seasons, I'm not sure ours would.

Depends how you quantify the "free" deals.

Bony & Jonjo out was big money.
The answer is under our nose on 16:45 - May 4 with 944 viewsdobjack2

The answer is under our nose on 16:30 - May 4 by jasper_T

Depends how you quantify the "free" deals.

Bony & Jonjo out was big money.

Indeed I am sure that a number of people don't appreciate that a signing on fee for a free transfer can be substantial as per Gomis.
The answer is under our nose on 16:53 - May 4 with 934 viewssherpajacob

The answer is under our nose on 09:40 - May 4 by waynekerr55

What about a Brodge V Guido V Laudrup triple threat match?

Hell in the cell?

Don't forget Bobby

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

The answer is under our nose on 17:07 - May 4 with 914 viewsWatchman

The answer is under our nose on 09:28 - May 4 by cockneyswan

As I said, once in a lifetime miracle! However Southampton , Stoke, Watford, Bournemouth, et al. All punching above their weights. All got good managers not star players.

well maybe that is what the big clubs are now doing! Just look at the Managers and Head Coaches that will be in the Prem next season!

I am but a dot, but a dot that can cause an earthquake
Blog: Ignorance is not Bliss but it sure is Funny

The answer is under our nose on 19:47 - May 4 with 833 viewswaynekerr55

The answer is under our nose on 16:53 - May 4 by sherpajacob

Don't forget Bobby

He'd be referee.

Kenny Jackett as commissioner, with Kevin Cullis and Jan Molby commentating wearing JR hats

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024