Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hillsborough 14:23 - May 9 with 7174 viewslondonlisa2001

I know we have spoken on this board about this over the past few weeks, but I thought the new BBC documentary on this last night was superb. Incredibly moving.

If anyone has a spare two hours I would urge you to watch this on iplayer. Made me want to cry and throw things in equal measure. Such dignity on display it was humbling.

Hillsborough on 14:27 - May 9 with 5185 viewsHighjack

Absolutely. Although some might say it's 27 years too late.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Hillsborough on 14:28 - May 9 with 5183 viewsexiledclaseboy

I'm watching it now. It's not easy viewing. Anyone who still wants to perpetuate the lie that football fans were somehow in any way responsible for what happened that day, and there were plenty on here a couple of weeks ago, should be made to watch this and then hang their heads in shame.

Poll: Tory leader

Hillsborough on 14:31 - May 9 with 5166 viewslondonlisa2001

Hillsborough on 14:27 - May 9 by Highjack

Absolutely. Although some might say it's 27 years too late.

The whole thing is so horrific it just makes you scream.

The way they sequenced everything was really interesting. I didn't know for example that the one thing that caused it all to be revived was the simple act of the crowd suddenly starting the 'justice for the 96' song during Andy Burnham's speech at Anfield. You could see it in his face as it happened. Never seen such an obvious dawning of realisation before.
Hillsborough on 14:32 - May 9 with 5166 viewsNeathJack

The documentary was actually a 2 year old ESPN '30 for 30' documentary. For some reason to do with the inquest it was banned over here until the outcome of said inquest.

Certainly the best put together piece of televsion I've seen on it though.
Hillsborough on 14:35 - May 9 with 5153 viewsmonmouth

I watched it earlier. Uplifting and sickening, unbearable and unmissable. An experience that just made me want to cuddle those close to me and tell them how much I love them.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Hillsborough on 14:37 - May 9 with 5146 viewslondonlisa2001

Hillsborough on 14:32 - May 9 by NeathJack

The documentary was actually a 2 year old ESPN '30 for 30' documentary. For some reason to do with the inquest it was banned over here until the outcome of said inquest.

Oh - I didn't realise that.

They must have added the end part to it then?

Astonishingly good television.
Hillsborough on 14:38 - May 9 with 5138 viewsNeathJack

Hillsborough on 14:37 - May 9 by londonlisa2001

Oh - I didn't realise that.

They must have added the end part to it then?

Astonishingly good television.

Yep, the end bit was added on following the result of the inquest.
Hillsborough on 14:38 - May 9 with 5135 viewsKennedy

Hillsborough on 14:32 - May 9 by NeathJack

Yes, watched it a while back and mentioned it in the main thread.

It was made/funded by ESPN and BBC so they were always going to show it but it was banned due to the court case here.

And to think the ball started rolling 6 months prior to this day.

Just call me JFK

Login to get fewer ads

Hillsborough on 14:43 - May 9 with 5117 viewslondonlisa2001

Hillsborough on 14:35 - May 9 by monmouth

I watched it earlier. Uplifting and sickening, unbearable and unmissable. An experience that just made me want to cuddle those close to me and tell them how much I love them.

Showed both the best and worst of human behaviour.

I have rarely felt such anger.
Hillsborough on 14:46 - May 9 with 5106 viewsexiledclaseboy

It's had me dabbing at my eyes a few times. I'm not usually the type to cry easily.

Hillsborough on 14:51 - May 9 with 5084 viewslondonlisa2001

Hillsborough on 14:46 - May 9 by exiledclaseboy

It's had me dabbing at my eyes a few times. I'm not usually the type to cry easily.

The old lady set me off. Her combination of despair, dignity and determination was just unbelievable.
Hillsborough on 16:56 - May 9 with 4981 viewsWxmJax

Could only watch it up to the tragedy occurring and that was enough for me. My brother-in-law was in that end that day and it was several hours later until we found out that he was safe.

The espn 30 for 30 documentaries are excellent and I thoroughly recommend them, even if you don't like the sport that is featured.

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

Hillsborough on 17:07 - May 9 with 4952 viewsepaul

Hillsborough on 16:56 - May 9 by WxmJax

Could only watch it up to the tragedy occurring and that was enough for me. My brother-in-law was in that end that day and it was several hours later until we found out that he was safe.

The espn 30 for 30 documentaries are excellent and I thoroughly recommend them, even if you don't like the sport that is featured.

If you like the 30 for 30 docus and have ukturks addons on kodi they have them all on there in their own section.

No footie on the box to night so will watch the Hillsborough one

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

Hillsborough on 18:04 - May 9 with 4892 viewssherpajacob

Hillsborough on 14:28 - May 9 by exiledclaseboy

I'm watching it now. It's not easy viewing. Anyone who still wants to perpetuate the lie that football fans were somehow in any way responsible for what happened that day, and there were plenty on here a couple of weeks ago, should be made to watch this and then hang their heads in shame.

there is no doubt that the over riding factor in the tragedy was the lack of control and leadership by the police on the day. As originally laid out in the Taylor report.

i think the "gun prank" at the beginning was symptomatic of a police force above the law and indulged by senior politicians to do as they please. As previously evidenced by Orgreave and the battle of the beanfield.

however football should not consider itself completely blameless. The reason for the fences and the pens being in place, was the behaviour of a significant minority of "fans" throughout the 80s. The millwall pitch invasion at Luton, Heysel and numerous other incidents were indelible stains on the game.
When hillsborough was getting crowds of 60/70k in the 30s they could spill out onto the perimeter. As they did in part at the spurs 1981 semi.
Nobody can deny that there were fans without tickets trying to gain entry, and some fans would have been drunk, but this would have been the case at any big game and was not the cause of the disaster. There were probably some drunk and ticketless forest fans at the other end.
Also the football authorities had buried their heads in the sand. Jimmy hill introduced an all seatet stadium at coventry and was ridiculed and mocked for it by "football people"

The experience of watching top flight football in the 80s was a completley different world to today and thankfully the Taylor report recognised what needed to be done. The tragedy is 96 people died before anyone took action and even then the establishment refused to accept the truth, because it was too unpalatable.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Hillsborough on 18:20 - May 9 with 4867 views1983

Hillsborough on 18:04 - May 9 by sherpajacob

there is no doubt that the over riding factor in the tragedy was the lack of control and leadership by the police on the day. As originally laid out in the Taylor report.

i think the "gun prank" at the beginning was symptomatic of a police force above the law and indulged by senior politicians to do as they please. As previously evidenced by Orgreave and the battle of the beanfield.

however football should not consider itself completely blameless. The reason for the fences and the pens being in place, was the behaviour of a significant minority of "fans" throughout the 80s. The millwall pitch invasion at Luton, Heysel and numerous other incidents were indelible stains on the game.
When hillsborough was getting crowds of 60/70k in the 30s they could spill out onto the perimeter. As they did in part at the spurs 1981 semi.
Nobody can deny that there were fans without tickets trying to gain entry, and some fans would have been drunk, but this would have been the case at any big game and was not the cause of the disaster. There were probably some drunk and ticketless forest fans at the other end.
Also the football authorities had buried their heads in the sand. Jimmy hill introduced an all seatet stadium at coventry and was ridiculed and mocked for it by "football people"

The experience of watching top flight football in the 80s was a completley different world to today and thankfully the Taylor report recognised what needed to be done. The tragedy is 96 people died before anyone took action and even then the establishment refused to accept the truth, because it was too unpalatable.

I remember going to Hillsborough in 1984 when we got stuffed 5-1 walked through the tunnel there were only about 50 Swansea fans there and being in awe of those big blue fences the first time I'd seen proper hooligan fencing and remember thinking how tall they were if you were to climb over them.

Hillsborough on 18:27 - May 9 with 4848 viewsImAlrightJack

Going to watch this tonight on the iPlayer :). Had a bad day at work today and my workfriend Steph cheered me up with a few pints down Yates earlier tonight. Watching this could very well drag me back to square one, but it will do me good to watch it.
Hillsborough on 18:31 - May 9 with 4831 viewsOldjack

Hillsborough on 18:27 - May 9 by ImAlrightJack

Going to watch this tonight on the iPlayer :). Had a bad day at work today and my workfriend Steph cheered me up with a few pints down Yates earlier tonight. Watching this could very well drag me back to square one, but it will do me good to watch it.

2 Hours of riveting sad stuff which left me very angry

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

Hillsborough on 19:03 - May 9 with 4759 viewsnicky

Watching this documentary was emotional stuff.

I remember following us in the late 70's and early 80's and getting into a few situations that were quite scary but you just laughed it off at the time. Granted I wasn't at Anfield and that sounds particularly scary.

One match I do remember though was when we played Southampton at the Vetch. There were far more than the official capacity on the NB that night.
Hillsborough on 19:09 - May 9 with 4745 viewsCooperman

I wouldn't watch it after a bad day and a few pints combo.

It's graphic stuff in parts even with images blurred out, it seems it's brought a tear to the eyes of at least two grown men on here.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Hillsborough on 19:11 - May 9 with 4742 viewsexiledclaseboy

If you're feeling a bit down, avoid for now. I'm not at my best at the moment and it did for me a few times this afternoon.

Hillsborough on 19:15 - May 9 with 4729 viewslondonlisa2001

Hillsborough on 19:03 - May 9 by nicky

I remember following us in the late 70's and early 80's and getting into a few situations that were quite scary but you just laughed it off at the time. Granted I wasn't at Anfield and that sounds particularly scary.

One match I do remember though was when we played Southampton at the Vetch. There were far more than the official capacity on the NB that night.

The Keegan match?

Loads more than reported there that night. I was in the Double Decker and everyone was talking about how packed it was. There were normally gaps right on the side (bottom left hand corner as you looked at it) but that night no gaps anywhere.

Every time I watch anything about Hillsborough I thank God for all seater grounds.
Hillsborough on 19:24 - May 9 with 4700 viewsnicky

Hillsborough on 19:15 - May 9 by londonlisa2001

The Keegan match?

Loads more than reported there that night. I was in the Double Decker and everyone was talking about how packed it was. There were normally gaps right on the side (bottom left hand corner as you looked at it) but that night no gaps anywhere.

Every time I watch anything about Hillsborough I thank God for all seater grounds.

yes that match Lisa.

I remember trying to head up the tunnel onto the north bank and it was completely rammed in there

I think the attendance was announced at something around 20,000 - met by laughter from the crowd.
Hillsborough on 19:40 - May 9 with 4643 viewssherpajacob

Hillsborough on 19:03 - May 9 by nicky

I vividly remember the Wales v Scotland qualifier at Ninian park in 1985 for all sorts of reasons.

it was the first major fixture involving British teams after Heysel and the Scottish and welsh fa's were terrified any trouble between fans would lead to a ban.

We had tickets for the Bob bank and in the queue it was clear lots of Scots had also obtained tickets for "home" sections of the ground. However the police insisted all Scots fans went in the grange end, even if they had tickets for elsewhere in the ground.

When we got onto the Bob Bank it was busy, but not packed. We looked across to the Grange end and it was jammed solid. (Look at any YouTube videos of the game)
It could easily have ended in disaster

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Hillsborough on 19:44 - May 9 with 4632 viewsheadcleaner

I think even now the families are beyond reproach for their actions considering the gravity of corruption against their loved ones. I just hope that justice follows and the full force of the law is thrown at whoever decided to force the officers to go down the alcohol route and people like Duckenfield serve out the remainder of their days in jail. As for the coroner who has since died he should be singled out as should Lord chief justices who didn't do their jobs properly. No stone should be unturned in going above and beyond for these families.

I'm just a football fan who has followed this through the media since it happened I can't even begin to imagine what it must feel like for these poor people involved who have had to re live it probably on a daily basis. My heart and respect goes out to them.
Hillsborough on 20:12 - May 9 with 4572 viewsGlyn1

Something that you don't want to watch but know that you have to watch.

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024