Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dog help 15:25 - May 9 with 9002 viewsCountyJim

As you now we where adopted by a lovely young fellow its been three months or so now but in last few weeks when I go out of the house he is getting aggressive with my daughter whos in her 20s growling at her and once snapped at her hand

Any ideas on how to stop this behaviour I would be grateful he's had a difficult start to life and just wondered if this was the reason
Dog help on 15:34 - May 9 with 4449 viewsSwanseajill

Not much help to you, but he's obviously got the hump with you for going out without him.
Dog help on 17:45 - May 9 with 4391 viewsFlashberryjack

Probably not what you'd like to hear.......and no doubt I'll need a tin hat for saying this.
If I had a dog that did that to anyone, let alone a family member, it would be having a one way ticket to the vet.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Dog help on 17:52 - May 9 with 4384 viewsWarwickHunt

Dog help on 17:45 - May 9 by Flashberryjack

Probably not what you'd like to hear.......and no doubt I'll need a tin hat for saying this.
If I had a dog that did that to anyone, let alone a family member, it would be having a one way ticket to the vet.

The correct answer is to get a behaviourist in who could probably sort it in under an hour...it's probably just separation anxiety.
Jim - get advice from the rescue centre you got him from. They'll be able to recommend someone or may even
sort it themselves.

You'd be hard pressed to find a gentler breed than a greyhound.
Dog help on 18:48 - May 9 with 4342 viewsexiledclaseboy

Dog help on 17:52 - May 9 by WarwickHunt

The correct answer is to get a behaviourist in who could probably sort it in under an hour...it's probably just separation anxiety.
Jim - get advice from the rescue centre you got him from. They'll be able to recommend someone or may even
sort it themselves.

You'd be hard pressed to find a gentler breed than a greyhound.

Possibly dominance issues as well. When Jim's around there's no problem because the dog has obviously accepted him as the alpha but when Jim''s not around and it's just the dog and his daughter, the mutt fancies his chances.

But yeah, there are plenty of options available before the "one way ticket to the vet" ffs.
[Post edited 9 May 2016 18:49]

Poll: Tory leader

Dog help on 18:53 - May 9 with 4331 viewsmonmouth

Is he ok with other females? Does he snap at others when you leave him?

I normally get on very well with all dogs, but friends have this stupid rat like thing* that barks and snaps at me yet is friendly with everyone else. Maybe we have a history in a previous life. You can't be having that with a member of the family though. There must be a way to build trust and familiarisation. Normally giving treats does the trick. Queen Rat wouldn't even take that from me mind, so who knows what it is they think they sense.

*not really, she's a lovely dog.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Dog help on 19:16 - May 9 with 4307 viewsraynor94

100% correct, far to many ticking time bombs around these days

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Dog help on 19:19 - May 9 with 4299 viewsCooperman

That's a little OTT.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Dog help on 19:20 - May 9 with 4298 viewsexiledclaseboy

Dog help on 19:16 - May 9 by raynor94

100% correct, far to many ticking time bombs around these days

Right, so every time a dog growls, take it to the vet for it to be put to sleep.

Jesus.

Login to get fewer ads

Dog help on 19:43 - May 9 with 4264 viewsFlashberryjack

Dog help on 19:20 - May 9 by exiledclaseboy

Right, so every time a dog growls, take it to the vet for it to be put to sleep.

Jesus.

But it hasn't just growled has it ?

Hello

Dog help on 19:51 - May 9 with 4250 viewsexiledclaseboy

Dog help on 19:43 - May 9 by Flashberryjack

But it hasn't just growled has it ?

No, it snapped at her hand. Once. There's clearly an issue that needs to be dealt with but your solution is still knee jerk.

Dog help on 20:05 - May 9 with 4235 viewsFlashberryjack

Dog help on 19:51 - May 9 by exiledclaseboy

No, it snapped at her hand. Once. There's clearly an issue that needs to be dealt with but your solution is still knee jerk.

A dog that lives indoors with the family that growls and snaps once, is one snap to many for me. Of course it may never do it again, personally that's a chance I wouldn't be prepared to take.
I'm sure, like you, most will disagree.

Hello

Dog help on 20:11 - May 9 with 4223 viewsmorningstar

http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Hull-boy-4-scarred-life-rescued-greyhound/story-2

Just saying!

Only winner of Planetswans Petulant Diva award.
Poll: Southampton home next. How many points

Dog help on 20:11 - May 9 with 4221 viewsSwanzay

Dog help on 19:20 - May 9 by exiledclaseboy

Jesus.

Someone should take raynor to the vets...
Dog help on 20:17 - May 9 with 4193 viewsSwanzay

Back on topic, as Warwick says a dog behaviourist would sort that out in no time at all.
Dog help on 20:18 - May 9 with 4192 viewstreboethjack

As someone who works with dogs and many other animals on a daily basis I would say it's A) An issue linked to how its been raised and its past i.e. been abused etc and B) An issue where it has not been taught who is in charge in the correct manner (not smacking or hitting your dog!). If it tries to bite or show aggression again make a loud, sharp and short noise. Also if it is in the way of a door way or similar, make it move rather than going around it.

All of the above apply to you and anyone else in the house, you are in charge and it needs to understand that. Be patient though as you never know what that dog has been through and obviously if it is an older dog it becomes tougher! Good luck and hope his is of some help!

Tim gorau Cymru ers 1912

Dog help on 20:34 - May 9 with 4159 viewsdickythorpe

Get a newspaper, roll it up and smack its nose (obviously not ridiculously hard) and shout " no" or "bad dog"
Worked with a bulldog I looked after
Dog help on 20:38 - May 9 with 4152 viewsFlashberryjack

Dog help on 20:34 - May 9 by dickythorpe

Get a newspaper, roll it up and smack its nose (obviously not ridiculously hard) and shout " no" or "bad dog"
Worked with a bulldog I looked after

If your going down that road, best thing is a Tesco carrier bag, tie a knot at both ends, makes more noise than a rolled up paper.

Hello

Dog help on 21:38 - May 9 with 4102 viewsdickythorpe

Dog help on 20:38 - May 9 by Flashberryjack

If your going down that road, best thing is a Tesco carrier bag, tie a knot at both ends, makes more noise than a rolled up paper.

Please don't misunderstand me but our are right, you have to assert yourself by giving them a mildish and short fright.
Dog help on 02:22 - May 10 with 4018 viewsLoyal

Don't make a big deal about going out, before you do, about ten minutes before give him one of those toys that need to be played with to get treats. Then slowly leave and leave him to it. When you return, do the same again with the treat thing, remember don't make a big deal about it. And over a week I assure you he will become more passive. And a nicer chap.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Dog help on 09:23 - May 10 with 3946 viewsvalleycommando

I took on my third rescue dog 5 years ago (lab/collie/springer X - what a combination !). found the first year very challenging as she had never had any form on training in the 9 months prior to her arriving. After taking her to brilliant dog training class in Craig Cefn Parc community centre run by fantastic lady called Wendy we sorted out who was boss (Me !) and life became so much easier. Also found that the 2 vets at Forest Vets in Skewen are very in tune with dog behaviour and offer great advice.
Dont give up on your dog - we have no idea of what it has gone through before coming to live with you. Stick with it and once the problem is resolved (which it will be with the right advice) the rewards will be immeasurable.
Dog help on 13:48 - May 10 with 3879 viewsoldcob

Dog help on 09:23 - May 10 by valleycommando

I took on my third rescue dog 5 years ago (lab/collie/springer X - what a combination !). found the first year very challenging as she had never had any form on training in the 9 months prior to her arriving. After taking her to brilliant dog training class in Craig Cefn Parc community centre run by fantastic lady called Wendy we sorted out who was boss (Me !) and life became so much easier. Also found that the 2 vets at Forest Vets in Skewen are very in tune with dog behaviour and offer great advice.
Dont give up on your dog - we have no idea of what it has gone through before coming to live with you. Stick with it and once the problem is resolved (which it will be with the right advice) the rewards will be immeasurable.

If it just the daughter he doesn't like, it may be something as simple as finding her perfume is upsetting him. Dogs sense of smell is far greater than ours.
Dog help on 13:58 - May 10 with 3869 viewsHighjack

Does your daughter live there full time or does she just visit/come and go?

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Dog help on 17:46 - May 11 with 3772 viewsCountyJim

We got the RSPCA coming on Monday for advice

Thanks everyone
Dog help on 19:37 - May 11 with 3736 viewsphact0rri

Dog help on 20:05 - May 9 by Flashberryjack

A dog that lives indoors with the family that growls and snaps once, is one snap to many for me. Of course it may never do it again, personally that's a chance I wouldn't be prepared to take.
I'm sure, like you, most will disagree.

You've obviously never worked with any type of animal before. And if I could stop you from ever adopting anything with a heart beat I would. Heartless psychopath from the sounds mate.

That being said, top of it is there is -A- reason he or she is lashing out like that. It could be a dominance thing, as mentioned It could be a fear thing as though he/she is protecting themself. It could just be an unsettled thing. Do you know the background of the dog before the adoption? Might give you some clues to the wheres/whys.
[Post edited 11 May 2016 19:38]

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

Dog help on 19:46 - May 11 with 3724 viewsFlashberryjack

Dog help on 19:37 - May 11 by phact0rri

You've obviously never worked with any type of animal before. And if I could stop you from ever adopting anything with a heart beat I would. Heartless psychopath from the sounds mate.

That being said, top of it is there is -A- reason he or she is lashing out like that. It could be a dominance thing, as mentioned It could be a fear thing as though he/she is protecting themself. It could just be an unsettled thing. Do you know the background of the dog before the adoption? Might give you some clues to the wheres/whys.
[Post edited 11 May 2016 19:38]

Thank's for your expert advice.

Hello

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024