Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
OK Why do people want to vote to leave the EU 12:02 - May 21 with 14869 viewsjack_lord

Just so we can read the reasons and then can respond to each with valid facts to denounce or support each one of them.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

OK Why do people want to vote to leave the EU on 01:27 - May 26 with 1127 viewsHumpty

OK Why do people want to vote to leave the EU on 16:43 - May 22 by Highjack

She must have done something really naughty in a previous incarnation.

Heh. Fair play. Very good.
OK Why do people want to vote to leave the EU on 01:45 - May 26 with 1126 viewsHumpty

OK Why do people want to vote to leave the EU on 18:08 - May 25 by blueytheblue

Eurovision is the biggest example as to why the EU was always doomed.

People voting for songs from a similar cultural background. Nations consistently voting for each other irrespective of song quality. Standalone nations isolated, always underperforming. A small number of nations subsidising the event for others - and gaining little benefit from it.

You've convinced me bluey.

Vote out everyone!
OK Why do people want to vote to leave the EU on 01:46 - May 26 with 1126 viewsHumpty

OK Why do people want to vote to leave the EU on 14:03 - May 22 by swansealad69

My opinion is this
We now have a chance to do what we think is best
Off course we all have separate opinions but should we vote to stay in then I can't see another vote for Atleast 10 years
What could happen in 10 years?
All our powers to be in control off our laws rights and way off life
These real scary part is what the turks are trying
They are desperate to be part off the EU and are holding us to ransom over the refugee crisis
In order to to accept refugees they want in
That's 70million turks free to cross Europe
Now if that don't send alarm bells ringing then nothing will
And off course there is the idiots who want to open our boarders and want to give them the rights to protest and so on in our streets
The way I look at it is this
If pepole want to go to a different country then they should at the very least learn the language and wile in public stick to the rules and cultural believes off the land
Should they want to carry out there own believes then they can do so within the laws and there own places.
Can we actually preach our laws and rights in other country's?
There are to many left wing idiots who will allow our country to be over run and don't care if we lose our culture
Ask your self this
We in the last 20 years have seen a lot off changes
Our schools having to be politically correct in favor of Muslims
Different cultures now use the fact that we allow them to speak there mind and have taken advantage off it
It is not racist to white and proud nor is it racist to be British and proud
But we are walking on thin ice to say it.
The pepole who face the biggest problem will be our children and grand children
The EU has not worked
It may have been a good idea but to many cultures and way off life's for it to work.
Add to that we don't see our self's as part off it in the same way as the main land
We have that stripe off water that has kept us apart for hundreds off years wile the main land has been been integrated at the boarders
We don't look at the EU as they do
We will never
And the EU will never understand that.
Vote out and take our chances
We did well for hundreds off years
Its now time to have some pride in our history and start standing up for our self's.
We never bowed down to European dictators and fought to keep our way off life.
This is our time to stand up to another dictatorship in the Brussels
Just think off the world we could leave our kids should we stay in
And we won't get another chance.

Aaawww! Now 69 has convinced me the other way.

Vote in everyone!
OK Why do people want to vote to leave the EU on 04:33 - May 26 with 1100 viewsjackonicko

OK Why do people want to vote to leave the EU on 18:21 - May 25 by nice_to_michu

What parts of the EU or its legislation are you referring to when you say "shoehorn into a homogenous mob"?

And which parts are unelected? The bureaucrats at the EU (the EU's "Whitehall) is of course unelected, but then again they don't legislate. Turnout is poor, but we do choose our European legislators.

I think you'll find most parts of the EU are unelected! At least not directly. The European Parliament is the only directly elected body.

But you have to remember the European Parliament is not like the Westminster one.

The problem with the EU is precisely the lack of transparency over where the real power sits, such as it is. I think there are four different Presidents in the EU but I certainly can't name all of them. President Tusk and President Juncker are the only ones I can name without resorting to google. I couldn't tell you with any certainty what either of them does and I know I never had the chance to vote for either of them!

Juncker is the President of the Parliament. The members of the Parliament are directly elected by each member state citizens, but you don't get a vote on who the President is. Does it matter? Probably not, as the parliament merely rubber stamps legislation. It doesn't propose legislation. It doesn't repeal legislation. It just gets to wordsmith it.

The European Parliament is the equivalent of the backbenchers on both sides of the Westminster parliament.

The "executive" - like our Cabinet or the US President - takes the decisions on what to propose. However, the executive is kind of like the European Commission. Tusk is the President of that. We don't vote for him. There are 28 Commissioners, we don't vote for them either. So, they propose the legislation that the Parliament gets to rubber stamp.

However, the Commission only does things in line with the priorities set by the council. Is that the Council of the European Union or the European Union Council. I can't remember. Its definitely one or the other, but they are two different bodies. Confusing isn't it.

And then there is a council of ministers as well I think. So, lots of councils doing very important things that we don't really understand. How do all those councils set the priorities for the Commission to propose that the parliament then debates. That's a really good question. I suspect one of the 23,000 bureaucrats who work just in the European Commission could tell you. But probably not with any real clarity.

I'm being slightly flippant. But the democratic deficit in the EU is not answered by the fact that we vote for MEPs. It so doesn't.
OK Why do people want to vote to leave the EU on 09:20 - May 26 with 1059 viewsLeonisGod

OK Why do people want to vote to leave the EU on 04:33 - May 26 by jackonicko

I think you'll find most parts of the EU are unelected! At least not directly. The European Parliament is the only directly elected body.

But you have to remember the European Parliament is not like the Westminster one.

The problem with the EU is precisely the lack of transparency over where the real power sits, such as it is. I think there are four different Presidents in the EU but I certainly can't name all of them. President Tusk and President Juncker are the only ones I can name without resorting to google. I couldn't tell you with any certainty what either of them does and I know I never had the chance to vote for either of them!

Juncker is the President of the Parliament. The members of the Parliament are directly elected by each member state citizens, but you don't get a vote on who the President is. Does it matter? Probably not, as the parliament merely rubber stamps legislation. It doesn't propose legislation. It doesn't repeal legislation. It just gets to wordsmith it.

The European Parliament is the equivalent of the backbenchers on both sides of the Westminster parliament.

The "executive" - like our Cabinet or the US President - takes the decisions on what to propose. However, the executive is kind of like the European Commission. Tusk is the President of that. We don't vote for him. There are 28 Commissioners, we don't vote for them either. So, they propose the legislation that the Parliament gets to rubber stamp.

However, the Commission only does things in line with the priorities set by the council. Is that the Council of the European Union or the European Union Council. I can't remember. Its definitely one or the other, but they are two different bodies. Confusing isn't it.

And then there is a council of ministers as well I think. So, lots of councils doing very important things that we don't really understand. How do all those councils set the priorities for the Commission to propose that the parliament then debates. That's a really good question. I suspect one of the 23,000 bureaucrats who work just in the European Commission could tell you. But probably not with any real clarity.

I'm being slightly flippant. But the democratic deficit in the EU is not answered by the fact that we vote for MEPs. It so doesn't.

We don't vote directly for some of the positions, but we do vote for the people who make the appointments. Take the Commissioners for example. They are nominated by the national Governments, the ones voted in by the people to make decisions on their behalf.

I wouldn't for one minute want to be in a position where we were having to vote in every single executive post in all tiers of Government from local councils up to the EU. We'd be in the polls every week.

It is a labyrinth though. I was lucky enough (or unlucky enough, depending on your viewpoint) to spend 5 years working intermittently alongside councillors, MEPs and other hanger-onners in Strasbourg and Brussels. It was fascinating to see it at work. EU bureaucracy is an incredibly well-oiled machine really considering all that they get through.
OK Why do people want to vote to leave the EU on 09:42 - May 26 with 1050 viewsraynor94

If this was a boxing bout the Referee would have stepped in and stopped it, but no we have to put up with this for another three weeks before we vote to remain with an absolute thumping majority

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

OK Why do people want to vote to leave the EU on 09:51 - May 26 with 1047 viewsnice_to_michu

OK Why do people want to vote to leave the EU on 04:33 - May 26 by jackonicko

Interesting analysis. To clarify a few things.

The European Council sets the legislative agenda for the Parliament. It is comprised of each head of state within the EU (our representative is David Cameron, of course). Donald Tusk (Poland) is the current president. The position of president is rotated every two and a half years so one country cannot dominate the institution. They meet four times a year at a "EU Summit". It does not legislate, it sets the agenda. I wouldn't really describe that part of the EU as undemocratic as each of their heads of state have been elected.

The European Commisson is the "executive" branch of the EU (like our cabinet). It proposes legislation that will be considered by the European Parliament. It's current president is Juncker (Luxembourg) and this presidency rotates as well. Commissioners are nominated by individual member states to represent them, and must be approved by the elected European Parliament. Again, the European Commission is not a legislative body, it's an executive. In the UK we do not elect a cabinet either, we elect MPs who may, or may not, be in the cabinet.

The Council of Ministers is the "upper house" of the legislative branches. It is comprised of the ministers from each member state for a given policy. For example, if legislation concerning Europol was being considered, you might have our Justice Secretary, Michael Gove MP, meeting with his equivalents at the EU Coincil of Ministers. This body must compromise and then agree with the EU Parliament on a particular piece of legislation if it is to become law. This body is hardly undemocratic because it is comprised of politicians we have already elected.

The European Parliament is the "lower house" of the legislative branch. It is elected every five years and its role is fairly self-explanatory. All EU laws must be agreed by both the Parliament and the Council of Ministers.

Therefore, I think the EU is complicated, yes. But, in my opinion it's problem with "democracy" is that most people don't understand it. I doubt anybody in this forum has ever voted for a an MP who actually became Prime Minister before, since you would have to live in David Cameron or Gordon Brown or Tony Blair's constituency. But we seem to accept that they will be the leader of our country and exercise massive amounts of power over everyone.
OK Why do people want to vote to leave the EU on 09:57 - May 26 with 1042 viewsblueytheblue

They would be leader because we vote for MPs belonging to their party, voting both on national and local agendas.

We've now got a senior EU official lumping BoJo with trump, Le Pen. Sneering arrogance, how dare the plebs contemplate voting for such people? EU democracy - democracy unless we disagree with the results.
[Post edited 26 May 2016 9:58]

Poll: Alternate POTY final

Login to get fewer ads

OK Why do people want to vote to leave the EU on 10:13 - May 26 with 1035 viewsnice_to_michu

OK Why do people want to vote to leave the EU on 09:57 - May 26 by blueytheblue

They would be leader because we vote for MPs belonging to their party, voting both on national and local agendas.

We've now got a senior EU official lumping BoJo with trump, Le Pen. Sneering arrogance, how dare the plebs contemplate voting for such people? EU democracy - democracy unless we disagree with the results.
[Post edited 26 May 2016 9:58]

Well if you don't understand that when you cast a vote in a general election, then you are also casting a vote to elect an MP to form a government who then has the ability to choose its domestic cabinet (and therefore its representative on the EU Council of Minsters) and its representative at the EU Commission, then that's your fault.
[Post edited 26 May 2016 10:14]
OK Why do people want to vote to leave the EU on 10:46 - May 26 with 1016 viewsjackonicko

OK Why do people want to vote to leave the EU on 09:51 - May 26 by nice_to_michu

Interesting analysis. To clarify a few things.

The European Council sets the legislative agenda for the Parliament. It is comprised of each head of state within the EU (our representative is David Cameron, of course). Donald Tusk (Poland) is the current president. The position of president is rotated every two and a half years so one country cannot dominate the institution. They meet four times a year at a "EU Summit". It does not legislate, it sets the agenda. I wouldn't really describe that part of the EU as undemocratic as each of their heads of state have been elected.

The European Commisson is the "executive" branch of the EU (like our cabinet). It proposes legislation that will be considered by the European Parliament. It's current president is Juncker (Luxembourg) and this presidency rotates as well. Commissioners are nominated by individual member states to represent them, and must be approved by the elected European Parliament. Again, the European Commission is not a legislative body, it's an executive. In the UK we do not elect a cabinet either, we elect MPs who may, or may not, be in the cabinet.

The Council of Ministers is the "upper house" of the legislative branches. It is comprised of the ministers from each member state for a given policy. For example, if legislation concerning Europol was being considered, you might have our Justice Secretary, Michael Gove MP, meeting with his equivalents at the EU Coincil of Ministers. This body must compromise and then agree with the EU Parliament on a particular piece of legislation if it is to become law. This body is hardly undemocratic because it is comprised of politicians we have already elected.

The European Parliament is the "lower house" of the legislative branch. It is elected every five years and its role is fairly self-explanatory. All EU laws must be agreed by both the Parliament and the Council of Ministers.

Therefore, I think the EU is complicated, yes. But, in my opinion it's problem with "democracy" is that most people don't understand it. I doubt anybody in this forum has ever voted for a an MP who actually became Prime Minister before, since you would have to live in David Cameron or Gordon Brown or Tony Blair's constituency. But we seem to accept that they will be the leader of our country and exercise massive amounts of power over everyone.

That is all technically true and I self-admitted my response was a little flippant.

The EU is not undemocratic and anyone who says it is probably one of those swivel-eyed loons we hear about. But even by your own analysis there is a demonstrable democratic deficit.

Some of that deficit lies in the EC as an institution. By your own description, the "executive" is not directly elected but a grace and favour appointment. It matters not whether they are appointed by those that are elected - that is what creates some of the deficit.

The rest comes from the lack of accountability and transparency spread across the various institutions you describe. Noone is accountable or responsible for decisions. The Prime Minister doesn't get to blame his cabinet. The President of the USA doesn't get to blame his cabinet. Does anyone make Tusk responsible for anything? No, he is just the sitting President on Poland's buggins turn. Juncker? Course not, the EP is weak and largely ineffective as a lower house.

Any of the other two Presidents I've still not googled? Of course not. Noone know what they do or who they do it for. None are responsible nor accountable for decisions taken by other bodies. Its always someone else.

It is interesting (for me) that none of those Presidents listed have come to the UK once to make the case for why we should remain. Why not? Well, they are neither responsible or accountable - it's not their job to do so. The potential exit of one of the largest member states of the EU, and no single person, group, body or institution is responsible or accountable for coming to make that case. In any other situation it would be remarkable, but not this time. No-one has even mentioned it.

You don't have that with other executive functions. All Cameron or Obama do is try to deflect onto the past holder of the role. That only works for a period of time. Then the buck stops.

EDIT - apologies, I mixed up my Presidents. easily done. So, as stated above, Tusk is President of the European Council. Juncker is President of the European Commission. I did google the other two - Martin Schulz is President of the European Parliament and the Netherlands are President of the Council of the European Union, which remember folks is different to Polish Tusk being President of the European Council.

One final comment - who, hand-on-heart could pick Martin Schulz out in a police line up? If you genuinely can, you are more of a political geek than I am and I tip my hat to you.
[Post edited 26 May 2016 11:00]
OK Why do people want to vote to leave the EU on 10:51 - May 26 with 1010 viewsLoyal

Swivel eyed loon 👍
That's most on here.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

OK Why do people want to vote to leave the EU on 11:00 - May 26 with 1007 viewsnice_to_michu

OK Why do people want to vote to leave the EU on 10:46 - May 26 by jackonicko

That is all technically true and I self-admitted my response was a little flippant.

The EU is not undemocratic and anyone who says it is probably one of those swivel-eyed loons we hear about. But even by your own analysis there is a demonstrable democratic deficit.

Some of that deficit lies in the EC as an institution. By your own description, the "executive" is not directly elected but a grace and favour appointment. It matters not whether they are appointed by those that are elected - that is what creates some of the deficit.

The rest comes from the lack of accountability and transparency spread across the various institutions you describe. Noone is accountable or responsible for decisions. The Prime Minister doesn't get to blame his cabinet. The President of the USA doesn't get to blame his cabinet. Does anyone make Tusk responsible for anything? No, he is just the sitting President on Poland's buggins turn. Juncker? Course not, the EP is weak and largely ineffective as a lower house.

Any of the other two Presidents I've still not googled? Of course not. Noone know what they do or who they do it for. None are responsible nor accountable for decisions taken by other bodies. Its always someone else.

It is interesting (for me) that none of those Presidents listed have come to the UK once to make the case for why we should remain. Why not? Well, they are neither responsible or accountable - it's not their job to do so. The potential exit of one of the largest member states of the EU, and no single person, group, body or institution is responsible or accountable for coming to make that case. In any other situation it would be remarkable, but not this time. No-one has even mentioned it.

You don't have that with other executive functions. All Cameron or Obama do is try to deflect onto the past holder of the role. That only works for a period of time. Then the buck stops.

EDIT - apologies, I mixed up my Presidents. easily done. So, as stated above, Tusk is President of the European Council. Juncker is President of the European Commission. I did google the other two - Martin Schulz is President of the European Parliament and the Netherlands are President of the Council of the European Union, which remember folks is different to Polish Tusk being President of the European Council.

One final comment - who, hand-on-heart could pick Martin Schulz out in a police line up? If you genuinely can, you are more of a political geek than I am and I tip my hat to you.
[Post edited 26 May 2016 11:00]

Yep, I take your point about the democratic deficit and agree with you.

However, in terms of being democratic, I don't see how the "executive" (the EU Commission) is any different than our own "executive" branch a.k.a. the Cabinet (Home Secretary, Chancellor of the Exchequer etc etc). Nobody in Britain elected George Osborne as Chancellor, they only elected him as a constituency MP.
[Post edited 26 May 2016 11:01]
OK Why do people want to vote to leave the EU on 11:11 - May 26 with 993 viewsnice_to_michu

Just to add to your previous post JackoNicko.

I think it's interesting that, sometimes, our PM actually does blame, or refuses to accept any responsibility, for the failings of his cabinet. Just look at how the doctors strikes are seen as Jeremy Hunt's vs doctors, or the disability cuts as Osborne vs the disabled, the "academisation" of schools as Nicky Morgan vs schools or the prison and rehabilitation scandal that came out today is Michael Gove vs criminals.
OK Why do people want to vote to leave the EU on 11:11 - May 26 with 993 viewsjackonicko

OK Why do people want to vote to leave the EU on 11:00 - May 26 by nice_to_michu

Yep, I take your point about the democratic deficit and agree with you.

However, in terms of being democratic, I don't see how the "executive" (the EU Commission) is any different than our own "executive" branch a.k.a. the Cabinet (Home Secretary, Chancellor of the Exchequer etc etc). Nobody in Britain elected George Osborne as Chancellor, they only elected him as a constituency MP.
[Post edited 26 May 2016 11:01]

But Gideon was directly elected by the voters in his constituency. Under a manifesto issued by the party he belongs to. And even then he only gets to be in the cabinet if a majority of other constituencies also voted for a candidate from the same party, campaigning under the same manifesto.

Compare and contrast with Lord Hill of Oareford, who has never stood for a single election in his, admittedly very long, political career.

Then tell me that is the same thing.
OK Why do people want to vote to leave the EU on 12:46 - May 26 with 952 viewsFlashberryjack

OK Why do people want to vote to leave the EU on 09:42 - May 26 by raynor94

If this was a boxing bout the Referee would have stepped in and stopped it, but no we have to put up with this for another three weeks before we vote to remain with an absolute thumping majority

I'd be surprised if it were a thumping majority, maybe I'm keeping the wrong company, but 90% of the people I speak to, want out as I do.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

OK Why do people want to vote to leave the EU on 12:48 - May 26 with 948 viewsblueytheblue

OK Why do people want to vote to leave the EU on 11:11 - May 26 by nice_to_michu

Just to add to your previous post JackoNicko.

I think it's interesting that, sometimes, our PM actually does blame, or refuses to accept any responsibility, for the failings of his cabinet. Just look at how the doctors strikes are seen as Jeremy Hunt's vs doctors, or the disability cuts as Osborne vs the disabled, the "academisation" of schools as Nicky Morgan vs schools or the prison and rehabilitation scandal that came out today is Michael Gove vs criminals.

Well the doctors personalised it against Hunt. Then again, the leak of BMA WhatsApp messages show the other side of things.

OK Why do people want to vote to leave the EU on 14:00 - May 26 with 905 viewsHighjack

OK Why do people want to vote to leave the EU on 09:42 - May 26 by raynor94

Depends what you class as thumping majority really. The polls are showing it as quite close but who knows how accurate they are?

The out lot seem to be a lot more vocal but the same happened in the Scottish referendum and they got absolutely trounced.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

OK Why do people want to vote to leave the EU on 14:01 - May 26 with 910 viewsraynor94

OK Why do people want to vote to leave the EU on 12:46 - May 26 by Flashberryjack

I'd be surprised if it were a thumping majority, maybe I'm keeping the wrong company, but 90% of the people I speak to, want out as I do.

Well latest opinion polls had remain with an 18 point lead, I'd be amazed if it's much less than than on voting day, wit Boris leading the Brexit I'm surprised it's not more

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

OK Why do people want to vote to leave the EU on 14:13 - May 26 with 902 viewsblueytheblue

OK Why do people want to vote to leave the EU on 14:01 - May 26 by raynor94

Well latest opinion polls had remain with an 18 point lead, I'd be amazed if it's much less than than on voting day, wit Boris leading the Brexit I'm surprised it's not more

18 point lead?

Survation 2 days ago had Remain on 54%, Leave on 46%.
BMG Research 2 days ago had leave 45%, remain 44% the rest undecided.

OK Why do people want to vote to leave the EU on 14:16 - May 26 with 895 viewsHighjack

OK Why do people want to vote to leave the EU on 14:01 - May 26 by raynor94

Well the yougov poll was at 42% to 41% yesterday with 7% don't know and the rest not voting so the polls vary wildly. Also Boris and Nige might be idiots but they are quite popular, probably because they are characters. They are certainly more popular than Dave and George who are pissing people off with their overt and farcical scaremongering.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

OK Why do people want to vote to leave the EU on 20:24 - May 26 with 853 viewsexiledclaseboy

Anyone watching this "debate" on BBC1? It's making me want to move to Europe let alone vote to remain in the EU.

Poll: Tory leader

OK Why do people want to vote to leave the EU on 20:26 - May 26 with 848 viewsmonmouth

OK Why do people want to vote to leave the EU on 20:24 - May 26 by exiledclaseboy

Anyone watching this "debate" on BBC1? It's making me want to move to Europe let alone vote to remain in the EU.

Could you sum it up in three words for me?

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

OK Why do people want to vote to leave the EU on 20:27 - May 26 with 847 viewsexiledclaseboy

OK Why do people want to vote to leave the EU on 20:26 - May 26 by monmouth

Could you sum it up in three words for me?

Immigrants innit mun.

Poll: Tory leader

OK Why do people want to vote to leave the EU on 20:41 - May 26 with 820 viewsblueytheblue

Hmm, watch the debate or Legends of Tomorrow on Sky 1.

Sky it is then.

OK Why do people want to vote to leave the EU on 20:50 - May 26 with 807 viewsmonmouth

OK Why do people want to vote to leave the EU on 20:27 - May 26 by exiledclaseboy

Immigrants innit mun.

You're wasted in the CS.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024