Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sheffield Wednesday vs Hull 16:53 - May 23 with 7256 viewsswanskid95

Who does everybody want to go up? Personally id love to see Wednesday go up, based right next to Sheffield, and be a ground I haven't been to in a few years!
Sheffield Wednesday vs Hull on 23:18 - May 23 with 1912 viewslondonlisa2001

Sheffield Wednesday vs Hull on 21:34 - May 23 by bonymine

We must have been sitting quite close together then Lisa in those days ...🙈😘

Gordon Jenkins (Huw's Dad) was sitting immediately in front of us and we went on many away trips with him in the 1970/1980's - we were about 7/8 rows back from the front in the middle of the Double Decker - great view that !!!

I do admit that on occassions I would go up to the back of the stand and join Steve Tennant and his Sketty Park mates for a good old singsong !!!

Happy days !!!

STID Together Stronger

💪💪💪

Very close it seems! We sat in row H just behind the left post - level with the six yard box a couple of seats in from the aisle and a few away from the big stanchion supporting the stand. Sat there for 6 seasons. Loved that stand. My Grandfather always had his hip flask with a drop of brandy and I had a cup of tea or lemonade. Same people around us for years. Bloke who left 10 minutes before the end of every single match (he missed loads of goals over the years) but sniffed constantly while he was there, old man who died the morning that we were top of the First Division and playing away (at Coventry from memory but that may be wrong). Nutter teenager who used to go and shout abuse at the away fans underneath us when we scored :-)

If I close my eyes I can be back there instantly for a lot of matches.
[Post edited 23 May 2016 23:20]
Sheffield Wednesday vs Hull on 23:21 - May 23 with 1911 viewslondonlisa2001

Sheffield Wednesday vs Hull on 22:50 - May 23 by builthjack

My Dad and myself always sat in the double decker in the 70s. About halfway up behind the goal. Stamping my feet with the rest of the stand when we scored.

Super Swans, Super Swans, Super Swans...
Sheffield Wednesday vs Hull on 23:35 - May 23 with 1896 viewskarnataka

Sheffield Wednesday vs Hull on 20:39 - May 23 by londonlisa2001

Nonsense - I was there 2 weeks ago and it's a great city these days. The centre is all being done up, the area around the train station has been done, the shopping centre is good, the old industrial bit is full of galleries, cafes, bars and restaurants, the west of the city as it leads out to the Peak District is lovely and even the area out towards Rotherham is booming, with the Advanced Manufacturing Park on the site of Orgreave with Rolls Royce having moved in and the housing all going up around it.

Huge investment going in with a lot being spearheaded by the two universities and a lot of work happening as a result of HS2 and the Northern Powerhouse initiatives.

I'm sure it has some grim suburbs but every single city in the UK does as well.

I'm with you on this Lisa. I lived in Sheffield for a while in the mid-70s and if Perch thinks it's 'run down' and 'grim' now, bloody hell, you should have seen it back then.

More recently, I've done some work there in the last few years a few hundred yards from where I lived - working on a new Sainsbury's Local and a Nando's - and the area is absolutely transformed from my time there. And as for the city centre, it's unrecognisable these days.
Sheffield Wednesday vs Hull on 23:38 - May 23 with 1894 viewsbuilthjack

Sheffield Wednesday vs Hull on 23:21 - May 23 by londonlisa2001

Super Swans, Super Swans, Super Swans...

It was noisy!

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Sheffield Wednesday vs Hull on 03:20 - May 24 with 1834 viewsWanderer

Always stood out in the sticker book for blue shirt and white arms and the name Wednesday which is apparently because the butchers took a Wednesday off to play football, so someone told me.
Sheffield Wednesday vs Hull on 07:16 - May 24 with 1779 viewsjohnlangy

Wednesday for me. Just because it's a change.
Sheffield Wednesday vs Hull on 08:34 - May 24 with 1753 viewsPegojack

Sheffield Wednesday vs Hull on 07:16 - May 24 by johnlangy

Wednesday for me. Just because it's a change.

Same for me too. Not so far to go, a change of venue albeit one I've seen us playing at before, and a good chance they'll occupy one of the relegation spots.
Sheffield Wednesday vs Hull on 08:55 - May 24 with 1739 viewsperchrockjack

Nonsense isn't really the best way to start a counter .

I ll elaborate to elicit a more courteous reply.

In 1983, first time I went t steel city it was grimy,busy and still recognisable as an industrial megalith.

Now, all the steel works have gone and thousands of jobs have not been replaced , exactly like South Wales .my very good chum,sadly now with terminal cancer now does asxmany fellow sufferers do and reflect over the lives and ,trust me, as a Sheffield man he s truly sad as how it is now. Rotherham too is in the same boat . We stayed in brinsworth with them then stayed in hotel off Derek Dooley way which as list knows is 10 min walk from city centre area. We found the walk quite depressing with many low life walking around.

It WAS regenerated some ago and in fact last time we played Sheffield Utd it seemed better.

Regenerating pereferal areas does not improve city centres which is what most visitors see.

We have friends in Dore so are quite aware of the demographics Lisa .

Lastly, I just dipped my toes in the water and it's still pretty toxic in here

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Login to get fewer ads

Sheffield Wednesday vs Hull on 09:21 - May 24 with 1721 viewsDarran

Sheffield Wednesday vs Hull on 08:55 - May 24 by perchrockjack

In 1983, first time I went t steel city it was grimy,busy and still recognisable as an industrial megalith.

Now, all the steel works have gone and thousands of jobs have not been replaced , exactly like South Wales .my very good chum,sadly now with terminal cancer now does asxmany fellow sufferers do and reflect over the lives and ,trust me, as a Sheffield man he s truly sad as how it is now. Rotherham too is in the same boat . We stayed in brinsworth with them then stayed in hotel off Derek Dooley way which as list knows is 10 min walk from city centre area. We found the walk quite depressing with many low life walking around.

It WAS regenerated some ago and in fact last time we played Sheffield Utd it seemed better.

Regenerating pereferal areas does not improve city centres which is what most visitors see.

Toxic my arse.
You can have a dig at just about every city in Britain but the minute someone cracks a "joke" about Liverpool you start sobbing. FACT

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Sheffield Wednesday vs Hull on 09:42 - May 24 with 1706 viewsperchrockjack

Readers will note the initial opening comment on this thread and then note the way it degenerated into name calling abuse completely removed from the topic. That s toxic.

"welcome back my friend", "been worried about you". Simply staggering .

Is it just us or do other fans turn in o each other at the drop of a hat.

Any response from lohengrin,dav,wayne,starks,monny,bluey,tommy, welcomed but pm FFS

Sheffield Wednesday vs Hull on 09:43 - May 24 with 1700 viewsDarran

Sheffield Wednesday vs Hull on 09:42 - May 24 by perchrockjack

Readers will note the initial opening comment on this thread and then note the way it degenerated into name calling abuse completely removed from the topic. That s toxic.

"welcome back my friend", "been worried about you". Simply staggering .

Is it just us or do other fans turn in o each other at the drop of a hat.

Any response from lohengrin,dav,wayne,starks,monny,bluey,tommy, welcomed but pm FFS

HYPOCRITE.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Sheffield Wednesday vs Hull on 13:05 - May 24 with 1654 viewsMillie

Prefer to go to Sheffield, been to 'ull a few times lately and a change is as good as a rest

The only thing though is Swans get share of 'ull's parachute payment, so 'ull for me
Sheffield Wednesday vs Hull on 14:14 - May 24 with 1618 viewsStarsky

I know all about Shefffield.

I watched The Full Monty

It's just the internet, init.

Sheffield Wednesday vs Hull on 14:23 - May 24 with 1609 viewscontroversial_jack

Sheffield Wednesday vs Hull on 19:13 - May 23 by longlostjack

Wednesday. Proper club and great city.

Hull is a better night out, imo
Sheffield Wednesday vs Hull on 14:30 - May 24 with 1597 viewsStarsky

Perchie, welcome back...

However taking offence at a Lisa reply starting with "nonsense" really isn't confrontational.
Get stuck in mun.

I've had to put up with Morning Star randomly down arrowing me when he's bored, lol.
[Post edited 25 May 2016 8:03]

It's just the internet, init.

Sheffield Wednesday vs Hull on 07:40 - May 25 with 1431 viewsAussieSwan

I'll be moving to Sheffield later this year as an international Uni student - so I'm seriously hoping Wednesday get up!!

Poll: If we're going to sign another defender...

Sheffield Wednesday vs Hull on 14:22 - May 25 with 1364 viewsGlyn1

A thoughtful response from you. I don't know Sheffield, so can't comment, but there are a lot of towns like this all over England where you can't understand how people make their living. The idea of the "Coronation Street" scriptwriters that small local garment factories can compete with the Far East is bullsh*t and they still have more murderers on that street than unemployed people, because their middle-class scriptwriters probably have never met someone on the dole.

Protectionist trade barriers only work for a short time but our governments of both sides should have been smarter. I'm thinking particularly of the closing of the shipyards back in the 1970s / 1980s which happened both here and in Norway. Our governments said that you can't buck the markets and just worked to manage their decline - in Norway, they used their North Sea oil revenues to subsidise their switch into building cruise liners and that gamble has succeeded for them.

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Sheffield Wednesday vs Hull on 14:28 - May 25 with 1357 viewsblaenaugwentjack

Neither hate both.
Sheffield Wednesday vs Hull on 14:46 - May 25 with 1341 viewsblueytheblue

Sheffield Wednesday vs Hull on 14:22 - May 25 by Glyn1

A thoughtful response from you. I don't know Sheffield, so can't comment, but there are a lot of towns like this all over England where you can't understand how people make their living. The idea of the "Coronation Street" scriptwriters that small local garment factories can compete with the Far East is bullsh*t and they still have more murderers on that street than unemployed people, because their middle-class scriptwriters probably have never met someone on the dole.

Protectionist trade barriers only work for a short time but our governments of both sides should have been smarter. I'm thinking particularly of the closing of the shipyards back in the 1970s / 1980s which happened both here and in Norway. Our governments said that you can't buck the markets and just worked to manage their decline - in Norway, they used their North Sea oil revenues to subsidise their switch into building cruise liners and that gamble has succeeded for them.

That's a silly point about Coronation Street. It's a TV soap opera not real life... if it was ratings would plummet as nothing happens for the simple fact most lives are perfectly ordinary, routine and dare I say tedious. Nothing to do with "middle-class scriptwriters". More murdered than unemployed? Maybe because the norm is that people are employed. It's not like it's set in a community where t'mines closest down...

Poll: Alternate POTY final

Sheffield Wednesday vs Hull on 14:55 - May 25 with 1328 viewsperchrockjack

Thanks Glyn.

Northern cities, former industrial power houses suffered the same fate that befell Wales and its its industries. Yet, we see posters stating they hate such places.

Sadly, South Wales is utterly under the warped wing of south east England, both economically and socially. Ironic working class posters slagging off their own kind ...jeez it seems most would rather visit genteel English towns rather than grittier earlier real cities but don't worry Cheltenham is on the rise.

Spent a week recently in Newcastle area, another former grimy metropolis with its former industrial scars still showing although Lisa might see matters differently. People fantastic there and to me no different to Swansea people at all .

Back to Sheffield. You cannot lose massive industries and have them regenerated completely as the thousands of well paid jobs are gone for good and the new industrial parks will employ a fraction of the masses affected by industrial death.

Sheffield, like Liverpool, Manchester, hull, Swansea will have people unable to get into employment these days because they aren't educated or bright enough whereas hitherto a steelworks would have seen them in a manual job of some description . This gave kids self worth. They don't have this now and often these are those effectively on our streets aimless and feckless.

The greatest sin of all is the cities that built this country and were the backbone of the empire are now those still struggling to adapt. In many ways, they've been dumped by successive governments

Sheffield Wednesday vs Hull on 10:47 - May 27 with 1232 viewsDewi1jack

Sheffield is being regenerated.
Trouble with regeneration though is one place gets loads o'money (look at my wad) and the next place gets nothing whatsoever.
That ensures that until each place is done, certain areas really degenerate quite quickly. Or at least appear to.
Look at the regeneration of certain parts of London/ Bristol etc then go and look at the areas with little or no money being spent.
Or worse. Money being taken from one area to give to another. because of regeneration

Edit.
Think Sheffield to come up.
Easier to travel to and haven't been there since early/ mid 2000's although could easily have been towards the end. Memory is seriously breaking down. Reasonably sure we were Championship.
Think we won 2-1 or 2-0.
Pretty sure it was around the time (maybe after) we did the Utd part of the city in the Cupppah (Buuuuttttlaaaaa!!)
Seem to remember us getting beaten by 6 or 7 at Wednesdays gaff when we were running around the bottom leagues in the 80's as well.
Amazing what little stories on all the threads kick memories off for me.
[Post edited 27 May 2016 11:10]

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

Sheffield Wednesday vs Hull on 11:47 - May 27 with 1211 viewspencoedjack

Hull for me

Followed by

Millwall & Wimbledon

For no reason other than I will be £450 richer from my accumulator bet.
Sheffield Wednesday vs Hull on 15:48 - May 27 with 1170 viewsQuakerJack

Wednesday hopefully

Poll: Some scummer on the anus board reckons 80% of us want them to go down. so... do

Sheffield Wednesday vs Hull on 16:26 - May 28 with 1073 viewsunion_jack

Sheffield Wednesday vs Hull on 15:48 - May 27 by QuakerJack

Wednesday hopefully

Yep, me too.

Anyone else feeling nervous just because of the memories this occasion evokes?

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Sheffield Wednesday vs Hull on 16:57 - May 28 with 1059 viewsowainglyndwr

Very poor support from Hull, very surprised I though they would of sold out
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024