Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Immigration 11:57 - May 26 with 9621 viewsdonkeylabour

Can someone explain something to me because it has puzzled me for a long time.

Net Immigration last year 330k

Within that Net increase from EU 180k

From outside the EU 188K

Why do we in perpetuum bang on about EU migration, where this IS an economic benefit to the Country as the immigrants tend to be younger, in work and more mobile.

Non EU migration we have issues in terms of assimilation, language problems, huge families in which the women tend not to work, much higher levels of unemployment.

The UKIP types are always banging on about immigrants and it doesn't take a genius to know what they mean *nudge nudge, wink wink* why all this obsessing about a EU migrants.

BTW Net Immigration is too high, unless we spend sh1t loads of infrastructure and demolish our green belt something has to give.

My father voted labour and his father voted labour and his father voted labour so I vote labour

Immigration on 12:32 - May 26 with 6526 viewsoldgrey

It puzzles me that 180k plus 188k equals 330k.
Immigration on 12:34 - May 26 with 6503 viewsHighjack

Immigration on 12:32 - May 26 by oldgrey

Must be loads of bloody immigrants sneaking in unaccounted for, taking our jobs and our women and acting like they own the fecking place. Fecking Greeks. They invented gayness.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Immigration on 13:08 - May 26 with 6489 viewsdonkeylabour

Immigration on 12:32 - May 26 by oldgrey

'NET'

My father voted labour and his father voted labour and his father voted labour so I vote labour

Immigration on 13:46 - May 26 with 6439 viewsAnotherJohn

Why is non-EU immigration still so high? Part of the answer is that the largest single group are students, who are not here permanently and arguably should he classified in a different way. It is hard to be sure of the exact number, but in 2013 it was probably about 177,000.

http://www.migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk/briefings/non-european-student-migratio

Remember that the net figure (taking account of people leaving) doesn't record the numbers needing to integrate, which is about double (less if you allow that some coming in are returning Brits).

I agree with the OP's last point about space and infrastructure.. Even forgetting the issues of integration, population increase in itself is a big problem.

http://www.populationmatters.org/

The Migration Observatory published an interesting report saying that there is no way of keeping the population below 70 million if the UK remains in the EU.

http://www.migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk/britains-70-million-debate/4-migration-

(some more data on students in this report in section 4).
Immigration on 13:48 - May 26 with 6415 viewsHighjack

There's a lot of Australian barmen too who are vital to society

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Immigration on 14:09 - May 26 with 6397 viewsblueytheblue

Immigration on 13:46 - May 26 by AnotherJohn

Why is non-EU immigration still so high? Part of the answer is that the largest single group are students, who are not here permanently and arguably should he classified in a different way. It is hard to be sure of the exact number, but in 2013 it was probably about 177,000.

http://www.migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk/briefings/non-european-student-migratio

Remember that the net figure (taking account of people leaving) doesn't record the numbers needing to integrate, which is about double (less if you allow that some coming in are returning Brits).

I agree with the OP's last point about space and infrastructure.. Even forgetting the issues of integration, population increase in itself is a big problem.

http://www.populationmatters.org/

The Migration Observatory published an interesting report saying that there is no way of keeping the population below 70 million if the UK remains in the EU.

http://www.migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk/britains-70-million-debate/4-migration-

(some more data on students in this report in section 4).

Largest single group may well be students; there is however still an issue with bogus colleges used merely for the purpose of getting people into Britain. There's also an issue with people on student ( and indeed travel ) visas staying on past the visa expiry date and indeed breaching visa conditions whilst legally in Britain.

Poll: Alternate POTY final

Immigration on 14:19 - May 26 with 6386 viewsAnotherJohn

Immigration on 14:09 - May 26 by blueytheblue

Largest single group may well be students; there is however still an issue with bogus colleges used merely for the purpose of getting people into Britain. There's also an issue with people on student ( and indeed travel ) visas staying on past the visa expiry date and indeed breaching visa conditions whilst legally in Britain.

If you look at the first link you'll see that the number of non-EU students has fallen sharply since 2010 (though they are still the largest group). This is because there has been a clamp down on the bogus colleges, language schools etc. There has also been a tightening up of ability to stay on to work after finishing a degree.

You probably gathered that I think levels of immigration are too high; it is just that I do not think students are the problem.
[Post edited 26 May 2016 14:27]
Immigration on 14:24 - May 26 with 6383 viewsblueytheblue

Immigration on 14:19 - May 26 by AnotherJohn

If you look at the first link you'll see that the number of non-EU students has fallen sharply since 2010 (though they are still the largest group). This is because there has been a clamp down on the bogus colleges, language schools etc. There has also been a tightening up of ability to stay on to work after finishing a degree.

You probably gathered that I think levels of immigration are too high; it is just that I do not think students are the problem.
[Post edited 26 May 2016 14:27]

Non-EU students are desired by universities as they pay higher fees.

I'd agree steps have been taken against bogus colleges, but sadly not all have been closed. Tightening up staying on to work afterwards has had steps but still not great.

Students who then stay on using their knowledge are going to be skilled workers so there's no real issue per se with regards to that.

Poll: Alternate POTY final

Login to get fewer ads

Immigration on 14:32 - May 26 with 6373 viewsdailew

in 2014 over half a million UK residents were born in Pakistan (doubled in ten years).

Large swathes of London now dominated by Muslims. At this rate London will have a muslim majority in 20-30 years.

Was in Manor Park last week. Felt much less a foreigner in Eastern Europe where I was the previous week.

Ironically, the future option to move to a less Islamic country in Eastern Europe will be removed for the anti-immigration brigade who vote for Brexit.

Poll: Would you like Rodgers back as the new manager ?

Immigration on 14:37 - May 26 with 6367 viewsAnotherJohn

Immigration on 14:24 - May 26 by blueytheblue

Non-EU students are desired by universities as they pay higher fees.

I'd agree steps have been taken against bogus colleges, but sadly not all have been closed. Tightening up staying on to work afterwards has had steps but still not great.

Students who then stay on using their knowledge are going to be skilled workers so there's no real issue per se with regards to that.

Indeed. At Swansea University the tuition fees for overseas postgraduate students range from £13,300 to £17,500 p.a. and then there is what the students pay to the local economy for subsidence and accommodation. Most are funded from their own countries, rather than having UK scholarships. It is a major contributor to our export of services,

Re staying on, doctoral students can apply for a 12 months work experience visa (Tier 4) or try to get a visa under the general points-based Tier 2 arrangements (less easy).
Immigration on 14:57 - May 26 with 6342 viewsdonkeylabour

Immigration on 14:32 - May 26 by dailew

in 2014 over half a million UK residents were born in Pakistan (doubled in ten years).

Large swathes of London now dominated by Muslims. At this rate London will have a muslim majority in 20-30 years.

Was in Manor Park last week. Felt much less a foreigner in Eastern Europe where I was the previous week.

Ironically, the future option to move to a less Islamic country in Eastern Europe will be removed for the anti-immigration brigade who vote for Brexit.

20-30 yrs? That's being conservative I would suggest

Immigration on 17:15 - May 26 with 6253 viewsyescomeon

Being majority muslim is neither here or there. We're majority atheist, before that we were probably majority protestant, majority catholic before that, majority pagan before that (may be historical inaccuracies in there but the point is the same). The issue is that we ain't got room. But then again the world hasn't got room. Immigration is local manifestation of the global problem of overpopulation.

Upthecity!

Immigration on 18:05 - May 26 with 6220 viewsdonkeylabour

Immigration on 17:15 - May 26 by yescomeon

Being majority muslim is neither here or there. We're majority atheist, before that we were probably majority protestant, majority catholic before that, majority pagan before that (may be historical inaccuracies in there but the point is the same). The issue is that we ain't got room. But then again the world hasn't got room. Immigration is local manifestation of the global problem of overpopulation.

Our laws were based around Christianity.

The difference between Islam and all the other faiths is that loyalty is to the religion first and then Country, it's not like Mrs Jones popping along to Sunday service. Islam is all consuming whether that's moderate(?) or fundamentalist.

If Islam takes a greater role in society inevitably society will have to change to adapt to it, rather than the other way around. That's the nature of the beast, I think people are very unaware of the differences and believe it's all the same it isn't.

Immigration on 18:14 - May 26 with 6200 viewscontroversial_jack

Immigration on 18:05 - May 26 by donkeylabour

Our laws were based around Christianity.

The difference between Islam and all the other faiths is that loyalty is to the religion first and then Country, it's not like Mrs Jones popping along to Sunday service. Islam is all consuming whether that's moderate(?) or fundamentalist.

If Islam takes a greater role in society inevitably society will have to change to adapt to it, rather than the other way around. That's the nature of the beast, I think people are very unaware of the differences and believe it's all the same it isn't.

The laws of this country are secular
Immigration on 21:28 - May 26 with 6110 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

There's plenty of room in uk .

Now infrastructure is another matter .

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Immigration on 22:48 - May 26 with 6054 viewsPozuelosSideys

Immigration on 21:28 - May 26 by oh_tommy_tommy

There's plenty of room in uk .

Now infrastructure is another matter .

Thats fine, until all the green belt areas that the Swansea population are rightly proud of, start getting concreted over to provide sufficient housing stock for those moving in from elsewhere and then possibly not integrating well in to society.

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

Immigration on 23:46 - May 26 with 6012 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Immigration on 22:48 - May 26 by PozuelosSideys

Thats fine, until all the green belt areas that the Swansea population are rightly proud of, start getting concreted over to provide sufficient housing stock for those moving in from elsewhere and then possibly not integrating well in to society.

95% of the UK is green fields ,plenty of room

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Immigration on 03:35 - May 27 with 5971 viewsLoyal

Immigration on 14:37 - May 26 by AnotherJohn

Indeed. At Swansea University the tuition fees for overseas postgraduate students range from £13,300 to £17,500 p.a. and then there is what the students pay to the local economy for subsidence and accommodation. Most are funded from their own countries, rather than having UK scholarships. It is a major contributor to our export of services,

Re staying on, doctoral students can apply for a 12 months work experience visa (Tier 4) or try to get a visa under the general points-based Tier 2 arrangements (less easy).

I think the point some are making is that there are too many of the little bleeders.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Immigration on 08:10 - May 27 with 5930 viewsAnotherJohn

Immigration on 03:35 - May 27 by Loyal

I think the point some are making is that there are too many of the little bleeders.

It is the gangs of young men hanging around town having been 'dispersed' here from conflict zones that makes me think twice about letting my 13 year-old go to the beach for a barbecue with his mates after dusk. I'm less worried by the thought of him bumping into students from the campus.
Immigration on 11:22 - May 27 with 5883 viewsdonkeylabour

Immigration on 23:46 - May 26 by oh_tommy_tommy

95% of the UK is green fields ,plenty of room

Tommy why do you think there's been a lot of problem with floods?

In any case why would you want to destroy our green belt?

Immigration on 12:07 - May 27 with 5853 viewsMrSwerve

The NHS is falling, Schools are overcrowded, as are transport services etc.

I really don't think it's difficult - stop letting large amounts of migrants in.

People say that immigrants help prop up the NHS, yes, well that's because there's a shedload of patients that are also from other countries...

I'm all for controlled immigration, but we need to adopt the Australian method of vetting people before they come in. The problem is, you're a racist if you suggest this.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Immigration on 12:29 - May 27 with 5821 viewsGB11

The difference I feel is that people coming from outside the EU are paying for VISA's bringing money in to our system.

Where as a good number of EU migrants, come with nothing other than a plane ticket.

And I also find it funny that people claim EU migrants uphold the NHS. So for instance if we left, eastern european doctors would be unable to come to Britain as they would need to get VISA's.

Laughable.
Immigration on 12:37 - May 27 with 5809 viewsLeonisGod

Immigration on 12:07 - May 27 by MrSwerve

The NHS is falling, Schools are overcrowded, as are transport services etc.

I really don't think it's difficult - stop letting large amounts of migrants in.

People say that immigrants help prop up the NHS, yes, well that's because there's a shedload of patients that are also from other countries...

I'm all for controlled immigration, but we need to adopt the Australian method of vetting people before they come in. The problem is, you're a racist if you suggest this.

http://www.kingsfund.org.uk/projects/verdict/what-do-we-know-about-impact-immigr

In summary, the evidence that immigrants are a drain on the NHS is sketchy at best. They are less likely to use the services than UK nationals, and controls have been tightened up including up-front charges for non-nationals. It costs somewhere around £2b (£80m of which is health tourism) out of a £113b budget. Whereas immigrants make up 20% of the staff, being a much greater positive effect.

If we really wanted to ease the pressure on the NHS we need to:
Stop letting people get older
Stop letting them get fatter
Stop letting them get drunk
Stop letting them smoke

Or fund it appropriately in line with an aging and increasingly unhealthy (obese) population.

And ask the question why we need immigrants to pop up the NHS when we have unemployment amongst UK nationals.
[Post edited 27 May 2016 12:41]
Immigration on 12:49 - May 27 with 5794 viewsLeonisGod

Immigration on 12:29 - May 27 by GB11

The difference I feel is that people coming from outside the EU are paying for VISA's bringing money in to our system.

Where as a good number of EU migrants, come with nothing other than a plane ticket.

And I also find it funny that people claim EU migrants uphold the NHS. So for instance if we left, eastern european doctors would be unable to come to Britain as they would need to get VISA's.

Laughable.

That's not true. There are a number of ways immigrants pay or costs can be recouped for EU migrants:

Same link as before http://www.kingsfund.org.uk/projects/verdict/what-do-we-know-about-impact-immigr

"Free access to other types of NHS-provided hospital care depends on immigration status. There are slight differences in the rules between England, Scotland and Wales, but in general people can receive NHS hospital treatment without charge if:
- they qualify as ‘ordinarily resident’ in the United Kingdom. The 2014 Immigration Act tightened the definition of ’ordinarily resident’ as it relates to NHS services by linking it to an individual’s right to 'indefinite leave to remain' in the United Kingdom. Indefinite leave to remain can only be applied for after a minimum of five years’ residence in the United Kingdom
- the United Kingdom has a reciprocal health care agreement with their country of residence. People who are not defined as ‘ordinarily resident’, such as temporary migrants and visitors, can claim treatment on the NHS if their country of residence has a reciprocal agreement. This includes, for example, all European Economic Area-residents (comprising all of the European Union plus Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway). For these European - Economic Area citizens, the United Kingdom can subsequently recoup the costs of treatment from their respective governments
- they fall within one of a range of specific groups, eg, if they are making an application for asylum in the United Kingdom.

"The government has also announced steps to improve the recovery of costs of migrant and visitor health care. In July 2014 it announced that some patients from outside Europe using the NHS will be charged 150 per cent of the cost of treatment under new incentives for the NHS to recover costs from visitors and immigrants. It is also exploring recovering the costs of a wider range of services including from non-NHS providers of NHS care, pharmacy and dentistry. "
Immigration on 12:52 - May 27 with 5794 viewsjojaca

Immigration on 12:37 - May 27 by LeonisGod

http://www.kingsfund.org.uk/projects/verdict/what-do-we-know-about-impact-immigr

In summary, the evidence that immigrants are a drain on the NHS is sketchy at best. They are less likely to use the services than UK nationals, and controls have been tightened up including up-front charges for non-nationals. It costs somewhere around £2b (£80m of which is health tourism) out of a £113b budget. Whereas immigrants make up 20% of the staff, being a much greater positive effect.

If we really wanted to ease the pressure on the NHS we need to:
Stop letting people get older
Stop letting them get fatter
Stop letting them get drunk
Stop letting them smoke

Or fund it appropriately in line with an aging and increasingly unhealthy (obese) population.

And ask the question why we need immigrants to pop up the NHS when we have unemployment amongst UK nationals.
[Post edited 27 May 2016 12:41]

Control your borders, pick the best migrants to come into the country. I don't see Swansea picking up third rate footballers from Europe, we try and pick the best within our budget. They would not want some 32 year old fourth division footballer from Turkey forced on us.

Even when you know, you never know?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024