Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Car Polishing machines 15:09 - Jun 19 with 999 viewsmonmouth

Anyone got any experience of these boyos? Missus car is a darkish blue and shows every little scratch. I've just polished out yet another scuff by hand and it took ages and my arm feels like its falling off - again. I'm a bit scared of using these electric things with a cutting compound as I don't want to make things worse, so wondered if anyone has used an electric job safely and can advise on a decent one?

The other option is just to leave it and ignore it, which is tempting, but it irritates me. All light coloured cars next time, for sure.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Car Polishing machines on 15:19 - Jun 19 with 989 viewsJackfath

A buffer is good with some decent polish. Cover the car in cling film.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Car Polishing machines on 15:24 - Jun 19 with 974 viewsmonmouth

Car Polishing machines on 15:19 - Jun 19 by Jackfath

A buffer is good with some decent polish. Cover the car in cling film.

Before or after buffing?

Car Polishing machines on 15:25 - Jun 19 with 974 viewsPegojack

A propos this topic, here's something a car nerd mate has just sent me:

Ditch That Sponge

Welcome to the first in our series of detailing guides, helping you to achieve that showroom shine on your motor.

Let's get straight into it... If there is one piece of detailing advice I would have to give over and above anything else - it's Ditch That Sponge! Let me take a moment to explain why....

When I first got into detailing in a serious way, I would spend a whole weekend on a car (I was buying and selling at the time). So late on Sunday afternoon I would stand back and admire the shine and my work, knowing I had probably just added at least £400 to the value of the car.

Later in the week if the car hadn't sold I would give it a quick wash down with a good shampoo mix and a sponge.

Even after practicing the two bucket method I soon started to notice fine swirls and scratches appearing. I couldn't understand it - I had been so careful and the car had hardly moved all week.

It wasn't until a trip to the states and a chance conversation with a real hard core Harley enthusiast that the horrible truth emerged. It was the sponge. Without realising it I had been dragging any minute particles that were still left on the bodywork, across the newly polished paintwork, causing these fine swirls.

Before leaving I took myself down to the nearest auto store and purchased the most expensive pure wool wash mitt I could find. I later learned that the most expensive is not necessarily the best. But I have never looked back. Why....?

The secret of the wish mitt over the sponge, especially the pure wool mitts, is their ability to pick up the particles of dust and dirt within their long fibres, drawing and keeping them away from the surface of your paintwork and preventing them from causing the swirls you see on so many other vehicles.

Whilst there are other types of wash mitt on the market, my personal preference since those earlier days has always been pure wool. As well as keeping the particles away from your paintwork, they are also easily rinsible to remove the particles trapped deep inside the soft fine fibres.

Some of the latest microfibre wash mitts do have superior cleaning power, but again if choosing a microfibre mitt, choose one with a deep pile. Some of the cheaper mitts on the market have a very short pile and whilst they have great ability to pick up the particles, like a sponge they tend to remain too close to the surface to be safe. Even with continuous rinsing, the risk is too much for my liking.

So if you have not already done so, I would seriously recommend ditching that sponge and before you next wash replacing it with a quality wash mitt.

The Trusted Two Bucket Method

Using the Two Bucket Method of Car Washing to Help Avoid Swirl Marks

The Two Bucket Method of Car WashingWhether or not you have access to running water whilst cleaning your car either via a pressure washer or hose, many detailers still combine these with the ‘ two bucket ‘ method of washing a car.

So why use two buckets when one should do? I cringe these days when I recall helping my father wash his car with a single bucket of water and then afterwards throwing the remaining water left in the bucket over the car to start swilling it off!

Of course what I didn’t appreciate at that young age was that I had just covered the paintwork with all dirt and grit I had worked so hard to wash off.

This is the basic principle of the two bucket method i.e. to avoid the grime and grit getting back onto the paintwork and causing swirl marks and light scratches as you wash your car, motorcycle or other vehicle.
What is the Two Bucket Method?

To use the two bucket method you simply use two wash buckets, putting your wash shampoo mix in one and clean water in the other. Firstly give your car a rinse to loosen dirt and wet the paintwork. Again if you do not have access to running water use a watering can or similar. Next soak your wash mitt in the wash mix solution and begin washing your car.

Then, before putting your mitt back into the wash solution simply rinse it out in the second bucket of clean water. This will remove the dirt and bits of grit from the fibres of your mitt so making sure they do not make their way back to your paintwork and thus reducing the chances of creating swirling and light scratches. Now you can got back to the first bucket of wash mix, dunk your wash mitt and continue washing — each time following the same process.

If you want to further ensure you reduce the chances of any of the grit getting back into the wash mitt it would be worth considering using a special inexpensive device such as the Scratch Shield or Grit Guard (links to product pages). These effectively trap the grit, removed from your mitt, at the bottom of your buckets and preventing them swirling back up into the water above the shield or guard.
Car Polishing machines on 15:31 - Jun 19 with 965 viewsmonmouth

Thanks HJ, but I'm not OCD. The mare indoors sometimes drives too close to hedges and shrubbery although amazingly it's never her fault, and the scratches just stand out when the sun shines on the car against the dark paint and make it look shit.

Car Polishing machines on 15:34 - Jun 19 with 958 viewsPegojack

Car Polishing machines on 15:31 - Jun 19 by monmouth

Thanks HJ, but I'm not OCD. The mare indoors sometimes drives too close to hedges and shrubbery although amazingly it's never her fault, and the scratches just stand out when the sun shines on the car against the dark paint and make it look shit.

Tell me about it. My latest car is a black Audi, never again. I always used to buy silver. Will be next time, too.
Car Polishing machines on 15:53 - Jun 19 with 941 viewsJackfath

Car Polishing machines on 15:24 - Jun 19 by monmouth

Before or after buffing?

Before your wife drives into the hedges. When she gets back peel off the cling film to reveal a scratch free surface. Reapply cling film as necessary.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Car Polishing machines on 17:28 - Jun 19 with 881 viewsLoyal

The only one you need.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024