Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Transfer Thread 12:01 - Jun 22 with 141857 viewsairedale

Is it worth making this a sticky one, so we can post as arising mods?

Luca Cigarini - Alalanta

http://www.gazzettaworld.com/news/transfer-market/rumour/swansea-city-enter-race

Simone Zaza - Juventus

https://www.clubcall.com/swansea-city/boss-wants-juve-star-1813393.html

Artur Ionita - Hellas Verona

https://www.clubcall.com/swansea-city/verona-star-linked-1813400.html
Transfer Thread on 09:54 - Jul 25 with 2226 viewsairedale

Transfer Thread on 09:50 - Jul 25 by Johnw102

Hear we are looking at a 6'3" striker from Reims N'Gog sounds useful and cheap. Ex French U21 international, has Premier League experience.

Hmm, sounds good to me.
Transfer Thread on 10:19 - Jul 25 with 2137 viewsElward

As much as I love this club, it does get frustrating when you see teams willing to spend out and attempt to strengthen their squad and progress while we keep trying to bargain hunt. I know teams do panic buy and spend out obscene transfers that do end up failing but at least show some desire and ambition.
Transfer Thread on 10:37 - Jul 25 with 2073 viewsUplandsJack

Transfer Thread on 10:19 - Jul 25 by Elward

As much as I love this club, it does get frustrating when you see teams willing to spend out and attempt to strengthen their squad and progress while we keep trying to bargain hunt. I know teams do panic buy and spend out obscene transfers that do end up failing but at least show some desire and ambition.

Umm....
And look at the amount of clubs littered around the lower leagues who are financially ruined because their boards /chairmen dared to show the desire and ambition you talk about. They now will spend the next generation paying the price....

But hey, at least they dared hey...... crazy
Transfer Thread on 10:37 - Jul 25 with 2070 viewsChief

Transfer Thread on 10:19 - Jul 25 by Elward

Yeah I agree, I understood it in previous years, but with these new investors (what are they needed forfor exactly?) and with it being the 6th year of prem football&the increased tv revenuerevenue, I'd have thought we could have taken more of gamble by now. If we arent prepared too, surely it would be more beneficial to give more transfer control back to the manager, let FG bring in his own players (which should be cheaper from Europe) like Martinez and Laudrup did, using their contacts. Brendan used his contacts in this country brilliantly, but all our recent signings have Huws finger prints all over them, many of which have proved very costly

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

Transfer Thread on 10:40 - Jul 25 with 2057 viewsMoscowJack

Has anyone actually thought about the full cost of such a deal?

£13m to Liverpool.

5 years x 60k a week = £15.6m

Total cost (before bonuses) of £28.6m and almost zero re-sale value at the end.

That's a lot of money for someone who made a handful of starts for Liverpool last season, regardless of whether he had a few good games for Wales at the Euros.

I'd love to see Joey back, but not if it's going to cost us almost £30m !!!

Poll: Simple...would you want Leon in the squad right now, if he was available?

Transfer Thread on 10:41 - Jul 25 with 2054 viewsUplandsJack

. If we arent prepared too, surely it would be more beneficial to give more transfer control back to the manager, let FG bring in his own players (which should be cheaper from Europe) like Martinez and Laudrup did, using their contacts. Brendan used his contacts in this country brilliantly, but all our recent signings have Huws finger prints all over them, many of which have proved very costly

Now this makes much more senservices... Well to me Anyway!
Transfer Thread on 10:48 - Jul 25 with 2027 viewsmonmouth

Transfer Thread on 10:40 - Jul 25 by MoscowJack

£13m to Liverpool.

That's a lot of money for someone who made a handful of starts for Liverpool last season, regardless of whether he had a few good games for Wales at the Euros.

Children in a sweetshop never care about the cost Nick.

But.....Allen is no more expensive now than he was when Jenkins said we were going to try and get him on Friday.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Transfer Thread on 11:02 - Jul 25 with 1959 viewsMoscowJack

Transfer Thread on 10:48 - Jul 25 by monmouth

Children in a sweetshop never care about the cost Nick.

But.....Allen is no more expensive now than he was when Jenkins said we were going to try and get him on Friday.

That's true and I'm surprised HJ mentioned Joe in the conference. Doesn't he usually say things like "I would rather talk about signings when we have something to announce"?

I take most of what HJ says with a pinch of salt nowadays anyway, but I still don't see this being the "no-brainer" deal that many see it as.

If it was less than 10m, I would see it as a better deal but the extra 5m = another 20k a week on top of an already decent salary over the course of a 5 year contract.

Considering our current midfield options, I'd rather we went the extra 20k a week and extra 5m on a strong, mobile, quick and lethal striker!

Login to get fewer ads

Transfer Thread on 11:06 - Jul 25 with 1935 viewsmonmouth

Transfer Thread on 11:02 - Jul 25 by MoscowJack

That's true and I'm surprised HJ mentioned Joe in the conference. Doesn't he usually say things like "I would rather talk about signings when we have something to announce"?

I take most of what HJ says with a pinch of salt nowadays anyway, but I still don't see this being the "no-brainer" deal that many see it as.

If it was less than 10m, I would see it as a better deal but the extra 5m = another 20k a week on top of an already decent salary over the course of a 5 year contract.

Considering our current midfield options, I'd rather we went the extra 20k a week and extra 5m on a strong, mobile, quick and lethal striker!

Someone will mention Borini soon....

Transfer Thread on 11:07 - Jul 25 with 1930 viewsjasper_T

Transfer Thread on 10:40 - Jul 25 by MoscowJack

£13m to Liverpool.

The maths on this are no different from any other decent player we might be after. Most Premier League quality players are going to be after £50-60k a week minimum in any new negotiations due to the increased tv revenue.

Joe looks a lot better value than Fer when you do the maths like this.
Transfer Thread on 11:09 - Jul 25 with 1904 viewsairedale

Kin ell!

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/videos/watch-siberian-tiger-grab-woman-china-before-com
Transfer Thread on 11:12 - Jul 25 with 1880 viewsraynor94

Transfer Thread on 11:09 - Jul 25 by airedale

Kin ell!

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/videos/watch-siberian-tiger-grab-woman-china-before-com

I can't see us splashing out on a tiger!

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Transfer Thread on 11:15 - Jul 25 with 1862 viewsMoscowJack

Transfer Thread on 11:07 - Jul 25 by jasper_T

The maths on this are no different from any other decent player we might be after. Most Premier League quality players are going to be after £50-60k a week minimum in any new negotiations due to the increased tv revenue.

Joe looks a lot better value than Fer when you do the maths like this.

I don't understand how Fer's deal can be seen as worse than £28m for essentially a defensive midfielder.

I agree that Joey's more consistent in his role than Fer is but (a) Fer is on almost half of what Joey would be paid if he joined us now, (b) Fer's initial fee to QPR is around £2m (with add ons) and (c) I hope Frankie can get the best out of Fer which would make him an absolute bargain.

Joey would have to be a contender for Player of the Year every year to justify that cost.

I'm not saying we shouldn't get Joey or that he's not worth the money to some clubs, but I wouldn't want to see vital money spent on Joey that might come out of any fund we have for buying the best striker possible.

Regardless of the bull coming out of the Chairman's mouth, we have no bigger budget now than we would have had with previous owners.

Transfer Thread on 11:17 - Jul 25 with 1854 viewsmonmouth

Transfer Thread on 11:12 - Jul 25 by raynor94

I can't see us splashing out on a tiger!

Fits mr moscow's requirement to a 't' mind you. A strong, mobile, quick and lethal striker.

Go get him Huw.

Transfer Thread on 11:23 - Jul 25 with 1828 viewsjasper_T

Transfer Thread on 11:15 - Jul 25 by MoscowJack

I don't understand how Fer's deal can be seen as worse than £28m for essentially a defensive midfielder.

I agree that Joey's more consistent in his role than Fer is but (a) Fer is on almost half of what Joey would be paid if he joined us now, (b) Fer's initial fee to QPR is around £2m (with add ons) and (c) I hope Frankie can get the best out of Fer which would make him an absolute bargain.

Joey would have to be a contender for Player of the Year every year to justify that cost.

I'm not saying we shouldn't get Joey or that he's not worth the money to some clubs, but I wouldn't want to see vital money spent on Joey that might come out of any fund we have for buying the best striker possible.

Regardless of the bull coming out of the Chairman's mouth, we have no bigger budget now than we would have had with previous owners.

You're off your rocker if you think Fer's on half what Joe would get. He didn't take a pay cut to join us, and QPR paid him a bundle.

Joe is also good enough to improve our team, so that's of way more value than Fer, "essentially a defensive midfielder" or not (is that supposed to be a bad thing?).

Our increased budget has nothing to do with the ownership situation. Our income for this coming season is £40m higher than last purely from the tv deal. As it stands that's all going into the new owners pockets.
Transfer Thread on 11:35 - Jul 25 with 1758 viewsMoscowJack

Transfer Thread on 11:23 - Jul 25 by jasper_T

You're off your rocker if you think Fer's on half what Joe would get. He didn't take a pay cut to join us, and QPR paid him a bundle.

Joe is also good enough to improve our team, so that's of way more value than Fer, "essentially a defensive midfielder" or not (is that supposed to be a bad thing?).

Our increased budget has nothing to do with the ownership situation. Our income for this coming season is £40m higher than last purely from the tv deal. As it stands that's all going into the new owners pockets.

Fer was on 35k a week at QPR and joined us on the same, according to reports. Joey's looking for for over 60k a week and Stoke will probably be paying him more than that. It's roughly double.

When I said "essentially a midfielder" I was referring to defensive midfielders being less expensive (in fees and salaries) than attacking midfielders.

Finally, you might have hit the nail on the head with your last comment. Our Board was happy to see a £2m end of season profit but the Americans will be looking for a LOT more than that.

Transfer Thread on 11:37 - Jul 25 with 1748 viewsandypitt56

Transfer Thread on 09:50 - Jul 25 by Johnw102

Hear we are looking at a 6'3" striker from Reims N'Gog sounds useful and cheap. Ex French U21 international, has Premier League experience.

Sign him up huw hahahahaha
Transfer Thread on 11:44 - Jul 25 with 1698 viewstomdickharry

Transfer Thread on 11:15 - Jul 25 by MoscowJack

If you asked every PL manager who would they rather sign Joe Allen or Leroy Fer,I would think all of them would chose Allen.Whatever the economics of the worth of either player,the money we have committed to Fer could have been used in a deal for Joe and Fer left at QPR.
Transfer Thread on 11:48 - Jul 25 with 1677 viewsmonmouth

Transfer Thread on 11:35 - Jul 25 by MoscowJack

Fer was on 35k a week at QPR and joined us on the same, according to reports. Joey's looking for for over 60k a week and Stoke will probably be paying him more than that. It's roughly double.

When I said "essentially a midfielder" I was referring to defensive midfielders being less expensive (in fees and salaries) than attacking midfielders.

Finally, you might have hit the nail on the head with your last comment. Our Board was happy to see a £2m end of season profit but the Americans will be looking for a LOT more than that.

Aye, I was going to say that we probably have less to spend than we would have pre-takeover as capital requires a return....it was £2m dividends on £100k capital, never mind £100m, unless they're putting all their eggs in the capital gain basket. We don't really know what the strategy is for that.

In any case, given that our wages/income was so high already and we have to chuck shedloads at Sigurdsson, I'd be surprised if we spend more than 20-25m in total tops before next summer, unless we sell first. That's probably why Allen was considered too rich at 13m but ok at 8m.

We'll soon see anyway. Only 5 weeks left.

Transfer Thread on 11:51 - Jul 25 with 1663 viewsmonmouth

Transfer Thread on 11:44 - Jul 25 by tomdickharry

If you asked every PL manager who would they rather sign Joe Allen or Leroy Fer,I would think all of them would chose Allen.Whatever the economics of the worth of either player,the money we have committed to Fer could have been used in a deal for Joe and Fer left at QPR.

Every PL manager except Francesco Guidolin? For whatever reasons the club decided Fer was the better way to spend the money.

Transfer Thread on 11:55 - Jul 25 with 1649 viewsMoscowJack

Transfer Thread on 11:44 - Jul 25 by tomdickharry

Apart from the fact that they are two different types of players, it would also depend on what the PL manager needed at the time and his budget.

If he needed a box-to-box midfielder who chips in with his fair share of goals and assists, he would prefer Fer.

If he needed an angry wasp in front of defence who plays a nice through ball every now and then, he will choose Joe.

Also, if Fer has a very decent season (10+ goals), he could very easily go for 20m+. That's the sort of return HJ & Co love.

If Joey has an amazing season, we could be finding ourselves with bid for a player who's preference is to live at home in Swansea, regardless of who came calling and what fee was offered to the Swans.

Transfer Thread on 11:59 - Jul 25 with 1626 viewsjasper_T

Transfer Thread on 11:51 - Jul 25 by monmouth

Every PL manager except Francesco Guidolin? For whatever reasons the club decided Fer was the better way to spend the money.

Guidolin doesn't make those decisions for us.
Transfer Thread on 11:59 - Jul 25 with 1623 viewsDaggyjack

Very good article focussing on the ridiculous transfer spending this summer...worth bearing in mind when we are so keen to splash the cash.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/07/22/ridiculous-transfer-window-spendi
Transfer Thread on 12:19 - Jul 25 with 1526 viewsjasper_T

Transfer Thread on 11:55 - Jul 25 by MoscowJack

Apart from the fact that they are two different types of players, it would also depend on what the PL manager needed at the time and his budget.

If he needed a box-to-box midfielder who chips in with his fair share of goals and assists, he would prefer Fer.

If he needed an angry wasp in front of defence who plays a nice through ball every now and then, he will choose Joe.

Also, if Fer has a very decent season (10+ goals), he could very easily go for 20m+. That's the sort of return HJ & Co love.

If Joey has an amazing season, we could be finding ourselves with bid for a player who's preference is to live at home in Swansea, regardless of who came calling and what fee was offered to the Swans.

For Fer to become a £20m player Guidolin's going to have to work miracles. Fer's had lots of opportunities to prove himself a top level player and has consistently failed.

At previous clubs his level has dropped significantly once a contract has been signed. Hopefully that doesn't happen here, as his performances when fighting for a contract were hardly amazing.
Transfer Thread on 13:32 - Jul 25 with 1361 viewsyescomeon

Transfer Thread on 11:59 - Jul 25 by Daggyjack

Very good article focussing on the ridiculous transfer spending this summer...worth bearing in mind when we are so keen to splash the cash.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/07/22/ridiculous-transfer-window-spendi

Best thing that could happen in my opinion would be for the European league to happen and for all the mega clubs to go play in it and all the mega tv deals to go follow them there. The rest of us could get on with playing football in the real world.

Upthecity!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024