Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So help me out here. Educate me. 13:16 - Jun 29 with 2926 viewsJPage520

So as I posted the other day, I'm very new to the world of The Jacks. I'm very excited about seeing my beloved home club (DC United in the MLS) create an affiliation with a team like SCFC. As I stated, I've watched the BPL for the past few years, without allegiance to a team because I've had no reason to stake any bond to a team. So I've jumped on this opportunity, and regardless of whether or not Levien screws this up, I'm here. That's a blessing and a curse about me, I'm loyal to a fault.

As a newbie to all things Swansea, what should I know? Football related or otherwise. Come August, what are the things that I should be watching for that make this squad uniquely Swansea? What are the endearing qualities about the club that make SCFC special to you? The supporters that breathe the very life into the club. As a member of one of the very first true supporters groups in the history of MLS, La Barra Brava, I understand how important the supporters are to a club as a whole. What should I know about Guidolin? Typical team tactics? Players to watch?

So far from the chatter and what I've read, it seems Gomis has been overpaid yet has underperformed. Over the past decade, this team has virtually gone to hell and back again. Since making it to the BPL, the team has proven it belongs on more than one occasion with impressive matches against the likes of Arsenal and City. The fans are unwaveringly loyal. And Liberty Stadium looks awesome.

So far, that's what I know. It isn't much I'm afraid. So I turn to you for help in learning the ways of the supporters of my newly adopted club.

So help me out here. Educate me. on 13:17 - Jun 29 with 2347 viewsdickythorpe

Hi Dwight
So help me out here. Educate me. on 13:21 - Jun 29 with 2327 viewsJPage520

So help me out here. Educate me. on 13:17 - Jun 29 by dickythorpe

Hi Dwight

I don't know what that means.
So help me out here. Educate me. on 13:21 - Jun 29 with 2325 viewsmonmouth

Here we go mate. All you need to know in 52 minutes.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

So help me out here. Educate me. on 13:30 - Jun 29 with 2290 viewsfbreath

So help me out here. Educate me. on 13:21 - Jun 29 by monmouth

Here we go mate. All you need to know in 52 minutes.

Aren't all new recruits expected to sit through JTAK for the apparently real true story

We are the first Welsh club to reach the Premier League Simples

So help me out here. Educate me. on 13:33 - Jun 29 with 2271 viewsJPage520

So help me out here. Educate me. on 13:30 - Jun 29 by fbreath

Aren't all new recruits expected to sit through JTAK for the apparently real true story

Luckily enough, I watched it yesterday
So help me out here. Educate me. on 14:07 - Jun 29 with 2188 viewsGowerjack

So help me out here. Educate me. on 13:33 - Jun 29 by JPage520

Luckily enough, I watched it yesterday

Its true.

All of it.

Apart from the cornflakes and vodka bit obviously.

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

So help me out here. Educate me. on 14:11 - Jun 29 with 2172 viewsJPage520

So help me out here. Educate me. on 14:07 - Jun 29 by Gowerjack

Its true.

All of it.

Apart from the cornflakes and vodka bit obviously.

I'm really glad, because that tasted terrible
So help me out here. Educate me. on 18:26 - Jun 29 with 1993 viewswhiterock

So help me out here. Educate me. on 14:11 - Jun 29 by JPage520

I'm really glad, because that tasted terrible

And the fact that the film maker, despite pledging his allegiance to Swansea City has never seen us play an away game and funnily enough he only supported the club for 4 or 5 years in the early 80's And rekindled that affection in 2011
Login to get fewer ads

So help me out here. Educate me. on 18:35 - Jun 29 with 1965 viewsDafyddHuw

JPage - how has DC United fared under the "leadership" of Levien (or whatever his name is)?

Would you say the club has been improved or trashed? And can you give examples?
So help me out here. Educate me. on 18:51 - Jun 29 with 1928 viewsphact0rri

Honestly you won't ever be fully educated, so get that out of your head now. To me Sport is as much about feelings and emotion than stats as history and community play a massive part of it.

To me, I'd say just jump in, and experience it as best you can. the swans aren't always the easiest club to support, as there is heartache.. and a lot of it.

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

So help me out here. Educate me. on 19:14 - Jun 29 with 1874 viewsJPage520

So help me out here. Educate me. on 18:35 - Jun 29 by DafyddHuw

JPage - how has DC United fared under the "leadership" of Levien (or whatever his name is)?

Would you say the club has been improved or trashed? And can you give examples?

I have a post in the New Owners PL Owners and Director's Test thread about my general skepticism about him and his group. Which includes some examples. The primary gripe I and a lot of other DCU fans have is that there seems to be as little money as possible going to fielding a good team until the our new stadium is built and functional in 2018.

The other issue is that their concern seems to revolve more around corporate sponsorships and interests rather than the long time supporters that have been around since the beginning. I've listed a few examples in the other thread.
So help me out here. Educate me. on 19:22 - Jun 29 with 1856 viewsJPage520

So help me out here. Educate me. on 18:51 - Jun 29 by phact0rri

Honestly you won't ever be fully educated, so get that out of your head now. To me Sport is as much about feelings and emotion than stats as history and community play a massive part of it.

To me, I'd say just jump in, and experience it as best you can. the swans aren't always the easiest club to support, as there is heartache.. and a lot of it.

Truth be told, being a fan of all the pro sports teams here in Washington DC, Football (American), baseball, basketball, hockey, and soccer (Still getting used to making sure I differentiate on this board lol), I'm used to having my heart ripped out. Not saying it ever hurts any less. I'm just used to it lol. So I think I'll fit right in.
So help me out here. Educate me. on 19:40 - Jun 29 with 1818 viewsskippyjack

Well.. We've been sh*t since we've been established..

except..

1926 FA Cup Semi Final
1964 FA Cup Semi Final
2013 League Cup Winners

First Division (1981-83) (Premier League)
Premier League (2011- present)

Been in European competitions a few times..

Monaco
Panathinaikos
Valencia
Napoli
PSG

are the stand out opponents..

mainly a 3rd and 4th division club.. but punching well above our weight, with a bright future (unless Levein is the anti christ)
[Post edited 29 Jun 2016 19:41]

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

So help me out here. Educate me. on 19:41 - Jun 29 with 1815 viewsStarsky

So help me out here. Educate me. on 19:22 - Jun 29 by JPage520

Truth be told, being a fan of all the pro sports teams here in Washington DC, Football (American), baseball, basketball, hockey, and soccer (Still getting used to making sure I differentiate on this board lol), I'm used to having my heart ripped out. Not saying it ever hurts any less. I'm just used to it lol. So I think I'll fit right in.

Hi J,
I've followed the Swans since 1970. I've always felt there was something different about our club.
For most of the years we've been either getting relegated or promoted.
Regarding the fans, again, different to other clubs.
In the mid 70s when we were in the 4th division, we were playing before crowds of 1,500.
Then a couple of years later when Toshack took over we were getting 18,000+ for some of the games in the 4th division. (Unheard of)
Tosh took us from the 4th division to the first division in 4 years but we only averaged 16,000 the first season when we finished 6th. The following year averaged 11,000 when relegated.
The games big bucks now and we've been virtually sold out for the last five years.

It's just the internet, init.

So help me out here. Educate me. on 19:47 - Jun 29 with 1791 viewsThursday

So help me out here. Educate me. on 19:40 - Jun 29 by skippyjack

except..

1926 FA Cup Semi Final
1964 FA Cup Semi Final
2013 League Cup Winners

Monaco
Panathinaikos
Valencia
Napoli
PSG

mainly a 3rd and 4th division club.. but punching well above our weight, with a bright future (unless Levein is the anti christ)

Whatcha got against play-off finals, James Thomas, and Autoglass, for a start?
So help me out here. Educate me. on 19:55 - Jun 29 with 1759 viewsStarsky

So help me out here. Educate me. on 19:40 - Jun 29 by skippyjack

except..

1926 FA Cup Semi Final
1964 FA Cup Semi Final
2013 League Cup Winners

Monaco
Panathinaikos
Valencia
Napoli
PSG

Skippy, do you have any spark or passion for our club?
What a dreary way you used to describe our club.

We've been mainly a second tier club actually, from the 20s right up to the late 60s.

You've forgotten a Wembley cup win against Huddersfield and a Millenium cup win against Carlisle.

There's a few Welsh cups along the way and some major playoffs against Barnsley & Northampton.

Swansea Town have provided some of the greatest players that have ever played for Wales.

This city has been a hotbed for talent for most of its existence, ironically not a lot these last few

years.

So help me out here. Educate me. on 20:06 - Jun 29 with 1727 viewsskippyjack

So help me out here. Educate me. on 19:55 - Jun 29 by Starsky

Skippy, do you have any spark or passion for our club?
What a dreary way you used to describe our club.

We've been mainly a second tier club actually, from the 20s right up to the late 60s.

You've forgotten a Wembley cup win against Huddersfield and a Millenium cup win against Carlisle.

There's a few Welsh cups along the way and some major playoffs against Barnsley & Northampton.

Swansea Town have provided some of the greatest players that have ever played for Wales.

This city has been a hotbed for talent for most of its existence, ironically not a lot these last few

years.

Let's be honest about it.. We've been sh*t.. don't try and dress us up like a Newcastle.. who have been equally sh*t.

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

So help me out here. Educate me. on 20:34 - Jun 29 with 1659 viewsmorningstar

So help me out here. Educate me. on 20:06 - Jun 29 by skippyjack

Let's be honest about it.. We've been sh*t.. don't try and dress us up like a Newcastle.. who have been equally sh*t.

Jesus Christ Skip! Starsky wasn't trying to dress us up as anything. Just show some passion for the club you're supposed to support ffs. I was just as proud of my club when we really were shit, as i am now.

Serious question, how long have you been a fan? Normally it wouldn't matter, but i'm just curious?

Only winner of Planetswans Petulant Diva award.
Poll: Southampton home next. How many points

So help me out here. Educate me. on 20:45 - Jun 29 with 1623 viewsdailew

Two greatest players to ever don a Swansea Shirt were Charlie Hatfield and Aidan Newhouse.

Poll: Would you like Rodgers back as the new manager ?

So help me out here. Educate me. on 20:46 - Jun 29 with 1614 viewsmorningstar

So help me out here. Educate me. on 20:45 - Jun 29 by dailew

Two greatest players to ever don a Swansea Shirt were Charlie Hatfield and Aidan Newhouse.

You've been spoilt.

Only winner of Planetswans Petulant Diva award.
Poll: Southampton home next. How many points

So help me out here. Educate me. on 21:24 - Jun 29 with 1548 viewsscottishjack

So help me out here. Educate me. on 13:21 - Jun 29 by JPage520

I don't know what that means.

Hi Landon...
So help me out here. Educate me. on 22:23 - Jun 29 with 1447 viewsmonmouth

So help me out here. Educate me. on 19:41 - Jun 29 by Starsky

Hi J,
I've followed the Swans since 1970. I've always felt there was something different about our club.
For most of the years we've been either getting relegated or promoted.
Regarding the fans, again, different to other clubs.
In the mid 70s when we were in the 4th division, we were playing before crowds of 1,500.
Then a couple of years later when Toshack took over we were getting 18,000+ for some of the games in the 4th division. (Unheard of)
Tosh took us from the 4th division to the first division in 4 years but we only averaged 16,000 the first season when we finished 6th. The following year averaged 11,000 when relegated.
The games big bucks now and we've been virtually sold out for the last five years.

In this last year we've been totally sold out.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

So help me out here. Educate me. on 22:34 - Jun 29 with 1428 viewsStarsky

So help me out here. Educate me. on 20:06 - Jun 29 by skippyjack

Well you missed the first 80 years you massive quilt!
How would you know?

So help me out here. Educate me. on 10:06 - Jun 30 with 1267 viewshammy

So help me out here. Educate me. on 19:14 - Jun 29 by JPage520

I have a post in the New Owners PL Owners and Director's Test thread about my general skepticism about him and his group. Which includes some examples. The primary gripe I and a lot of other DCU fans have is that there seems to be as little money as possible going to fielding a good team until the our new stadium is built and functional in 2018.

The other issue is that their concern seems to revolve more around corporate sponsorships and interests rather than the long time supporters that have been around since the beginning. I've listed a few examples in the other thread.

I suppose a key consideration in how much Levein has invested in DC is what income they receive from MLS. I suspect it is significantly less than the Sky Sports funded PL. Not expecting the new owners to bust the bank to get new players but will be very disappointing if we don't make a few key signings.

C'mon Bony shoot !!!!

So help me out here. Educate me. on 10:39 - Jun 30 with 1230 viewsDafyddHuw

So help me out here. Educate me. on 19:14 - Jun 29 by JPage520

Thanks - off to have a read now.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024