Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Prostate Cancer Treatment breakthrough by Swansea University 22:50 - Jul 5 with 3616 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Fabulous work by the academics that allows a harmless salmonella type bacteria to destroy the tumour and leave healthy tissue unharmed. And unlike Chemo or radiotherapy the treatment only needs adminestring once. Dr Claire Morgan of the University said that this breakthrough was a "game changer" in the fight against Cancer. And could be used to fight other types of tumours too.

Something for Perchie to be proud of at last!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-36712240

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Prostate Cancer Treatment breakthrough by Swansea University on 23:06 - Jul 5 with 3603 viewsLeonisGod

Lots to be proud of - SU standing out on the national and global stageS. Just in the media today:

Top environment headline for Bbc reports on research published in Nature looking at why it p1sses down all 'summer'. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-36704400

And a Swans prof presenting a new welsh language documentary looking at how people are coping with climate change - 9.30, Tuesdays on S4C 'Her yr Hinsawdd'

Prostate Cancer Treatment breakthrough by Swansea University on 12:19 - Jul 6 with 3490 viewsNogginthenog

A stunning achievement if it works. I have nothing but admiration for these scientists in the fight against this terrible disease. I hope it can be applied to other cancers too. Having suffered myself and lost my lovely sister to it just 2 years ago.
Prostate Cancer Treatment breakthrough by Swansea University on 17:13 - Jul 6 with 3443 viewsProfessor

Swansea is an upcoming University though leaving the EU is likely to have a big negative impact on research outside the Oxford-Cambridge-London 'golden triangle'.

The idea of using Salmonella to target cancer cells has been around for a while- Salmonella has something called a Type 3 secretion system that can inject 'effector' proteins into host cells. The problem I see is how you make this interaction specific to tumour cells and indeed the acceptability of using GM Salmonella as a therapeutic.

Still good to see some good research from Swansea
Prostate Cancer Treatment breakthrough by Swansea University on 18:31 - Jul 6 with 3402 viewsstevejg73

Having experienced chemo and radiotherapy and the associated side effects this is excellent news. The care I received from the NHS was first class, but travelling to hospital every day for six weeks was draining, so the possibility of having one course of treatment is truly wonderful.
Prostate Cancer Treatment breakthrough by Swansea University on 18:40 - Jul 6 with 3393 viewsProfessor

Prostate Cancer Treatment breakthrough by Swansea University on 18:31 - Jul 6 by stevejg73

Having experienced chemo and radiotherapy and the associated side effects this is excellent news. The care I received from the NHS was first class, but travelling to hospital every day for six weeks was draining, so the possibility of having one course of treatment is truly wonderful.

The problem is there are stories like this every week-early promise is flagged up by scientists and press offices (arguably over-egged) to get funding. £200k is a small amount of funding in the big picture. Translating lab findings to treatments is difficult. The huge potential boost is the capacity to personalise treatment for many diseases based on your genome (your full DNA code). The cost to sequence (decode) each genome is a fraction of what it was-now only a few hundred quid for a human. You can now buy the kit to sequence for the cost of a decent TV.
Prostate Cancer Treatment breakthrough by Swansea University on 18:54 - Jul 6 with 3374 viewsstevejg73

Prostate Cancer Treatment breakthrough by Swansea University on 18:40 - Jul 6 by Professor

The problem is there are stories like this every week-early promise is flagged up by scientists and press offices (arguably over-egged) to get funding. £200k is a small amount of funding in the big picture. Translating lab findings to treatments is difficult. The huge potential boost is the capacity to personalise treatment for many diseases based on your genome (your full DNA code). The cost to sequence (decode) each genome is a fraction of what it was-now only a few hundred quid for a human. You can now buy the kit to sequence for the cost of a decent TV.

I take you point, and my knowledge of the science behind this potential treatment is negligible. Let's hope that on this occasion lab findings do translate into a successful treatment.
Prostate Cancer Treatment breakthrough by Swansea University on 19:14 - Jul 6 with 3360 viewsskippyjack

If everyone stopped pumping radioactive and poisonous chemicals in the atmosphere.. cancer can be cured by administering pure oxygen.

We have systematically created cancer.. so many toxins are released in the atmosphere.. oxygen can't fight the cells efficiently.

It's embarrassing when you think about it.

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

Prostate Cancer Treatment breakthrough by Swansea University on 23:06 - Jul 6 with 3310 viewsProfessor

Prostate Cancer Treatment breakthrough by Swansea University on 19:14 - Jul 6 by skippyjack

If everyone stopped pumping radioactive and poisonous chemicals in the atmosphere.. cancer can be cured by administering pure oxygen.

We have systematically created cancer.. so many toxins are released in the atmosphere.. oxygen can't fight the cells efficiently.

It's embarrassing when you think about it.

A lot of cancers are mainly a consequence of aging as control of the cell cycle meaning defective cells don't die. Others are probably viral infections others a consequence of unfortunate genetics. We rarely die of infections now which would have killed most of us before 40.
Login to get fewer ads

Prostate Cancer Treatment breakthrough by Swansea University on 23:07 - Jul 6 with 3305 viewsProfessor

Prostate Cancer Treatment breakthrough by Swansea University on 18:54 - Jul 6 by stevejg73

I take you point, and my knowledge of the science behind this potential treatment is negligible. Let's hope that on this occasion lab findings do translate into a successful treatment.

Eventually something will.
Let us hope it is sooner not later
Prostate Cancer Treatment breakthrough by Swansea University on 09:15 - Jul 7 with 3248 viewsLord_Bony

Terrible disease yet still we are no closer finding a cure than 50 years ago.

Many,many academics have come out with theories of cures and causes but alas it has come to nothing.

Treatment in curing some cancers is much more successful these days but a general cure for the big c is nowhere on the horizon yet.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Prostate Cancer Treatment breakthrough by Swansea University on 09:49 - Jul 7 with 3231 viewsProfessor

Prostate Cancer Treatment breakthrough by Swansea University on 09:15 - Jul 7 by Lord_Bony

Terrible disease yet still we are no closer finding a cure than 50 years ago.

Many,many academics have come out with theories of cures and causes but alas it has come to nothing.

Treatment in curing some cancers is much more successful these days but a general cure for the big c is nowhere on the horizon yet.

Largely as there is not a single cause. Cancer is not a single disease but many with varied aetiologies. As such it will have different treatments. As you say we do much better with treatment but many here will have lost friends and relatives. Give it another 20 years and death from infection will become a big problem once more as antimicrobials lose their efficacy.
Prostate Cancer Treatment breakthrough by Swansea University on 10:01 - Jul 7 with 3222 viewsswanjackal

Prostate Cancer Treatment breakthrough by Swansea University on 09:49 - Jul 7 by Professor

Largely as there is not a single cause. Cancer is not a single disease but many with varied aetiologies. As such it will have different treatments. As you say we do much better with treatment but many here will have lost friends and relatives. Give it another 20 years and death from infection will become a big problem once more as antimicrobials lose their efficacy.

Excellent posts on this thread professor. As mentioned by yourself, cancer and disease will always be around. Cancer is just a general envelope that all the specific kinds are put in. Cancer in itself will always be around as long as genetic codes are self replicating, and diseases will always be around as long as evolutionary processes continue, both processes of which life is centered around. It's good that techniques are developed to reduce risks and also development of treatment and detection has, and will, continue to improve. These scientists are brilliant people and are truly worthy of the respect for their work.

Also, Swansea University is a fantastic institution for science in general, just hope their funding is maintained in light of recent national events, to continue their groundbreaking research.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hypocritically hypocritical !

Prostate Cancer Treatment breakthrough by Swansea University on 11:33 - Jul 7 with 3194 viewsProfessor

Prostate Cancer Treatment breakthrough by Swansea University on 10:01 - Jul 7 by swanjackal

Excellent posts on this thread professor. As mentioned by yourself, cancer and disease will always be around. Cancer is just a general envelope that all the specific kinds are put in. Cancer in itself will always be around as long as genetic codes are self replicating, and diseases will always be around as long as evolutionary processes continue, both processes of which life is centered around. It's good that techniques are developed to reduce risks and also development of treatment and detection has, and will, continue to improve. These scientists are brilliant people and are truly worthy of the respect for their work.

Also, Swansea University is a fantastic institution for science in general, just hope their funding is maintained in light of recent national events, to continue their groundbreaking research.

Thank you

I hope it continues to flourish. Wales needs a competitive HE sector with better research to break the low-paid, zero hours employment cycle. Too long has it been mediocre. Funding is going to be a big problem for Wales and Northern Universities who had had relatively more EU-funded research as the big funders (Research Councils, Wellcome Trust etc.) fund Oxbridge and London disproportionately to the rest. The Scots fund their own universities quite well but WAG does not have the financial independence to do this effectively.

I would love to come back to South Wales but Aberystwyth is the only potential option in my area and as such would rather stay at Liverpool.
Prostate Cancer Treatment breakthrough by Swansea University on 14:19 - Jul 7 with 3151 viewsperchrockjack

Great stuff paul

Thanks

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Prostate Cancer Treatment breakthrough by Swansea University on 14:27 - Jul 7 with 3144 viewsHighjack

The biggest weapon we have against this is awareness and education. I imagine millions of men have suffered and died over the years because they won't go through the momentary discomfort of having the doctor put his fingers up there. I know women on a lesser scale put off smear tests etc. Or people who find a lump and just hope it goes away, when it doesn't it could be too late.

I don't think enough is done to raise this awareness of what to look for, what symptoms are warning signs etc. and a lot of lives could be saved.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Prostate Cancer Treatment breakthrough by Swansea University on 15:02 - Jul 7 with 3126 viewsProfessor

Prostate Cancer Treatment breakthrough by Swansea University on 14:27 - Jul 7 by Highjack

The biggest weapon we have against this is awareness and education. I imagine millions of men have suffered and died over the years because they won't go through the momentary discomfort of having the doctor put his fingers up there. I know women on a lesser scale put off smear tests etc. Or people who find a lump and just hope it goes away, when it doesn't it could be too late.

I don't think enough is done to raise this awareness of what to look for, what symptoms are warning signs etc. and a lot of lives could be saved.

awareness and catching these things early are essential- blood in stools, prolonged 'dry' coughs-there are so many signs of different cancers. If in any doubt see the quack (if you can)
Prostate Cancer Treatment breakthrough by Swansea University on 15:05 - Jul 7 with 3123 viewsProfessor

Prostate Cancer Treatment breakthrough by Swansea University on 14:19 - Jul 7 by perchrockjack

Great stuff paul

Thanks

...and thank you too.

Sadly off to a funeral tomorrow for a colleague/friend from Edinburgh uni who passed away after a long fight against a brain tumour. Funeral in Melrose. Only 52. Terrible way to go as you lose mental capacity for anyone let alone a leading scientist.
Prostate Cancer Treatment breakthrough by Swansea University on 15:23 - Jul 7 with 3113 viewsAnotherJohn

Credit to the Medical School for pursuing such a promising path. There is a long road ahead though - the intervention has to move on from laboratory testing to the various phases of pre-clinical studies, and then multiple RCTs will probably be needed before NICE approval becomes possible. Only then is the treatment likely to be widely available.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024