Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The future of Test cricket 11:00 - Jul 24 with 742 viewsdickythorpe

Cut it to 4 days but extend playing time (100 overs instead of 80 per day), more day/night games?

Watched Paul Allot's show earlier and they were raising this issue.
The future of Test cricket on 11:03 - Jul 24 with 739 viewsexiledclaseboy

It's 90 per day currently and they don't get them in half the time. They'd never get 100 per day in in places where it gets dark really quickly, unless they start at 9am or something. The day/night Test in Adelaide last year was spectacular mind.

Poll: Tory leader

The future of Test cricket on 11:21 - Jul 24 with 726 viewsdickythorpe

Gosh 90 over per day! I'd assumed wrongly it was 80.
Over rates are very low nowadays, I think technology for appeals is one reason as is '"hydration". Sports nutrition is relatively new.
I was reading Graeme Fowler's book recently and in it he said the eye drops were more welcome than water to drink!!
The future of Test cricket on 11:39 - Jul 24 with 712 viewsNeathJack

A 4 day test would allow very little wiggle room for inclement weather. Lose a day now and there's still a high chance of a result. Lose a day in a 4 day test and you may as well pack up and go home.
The future of Test cricket on 12:16 - Jul 24 with 691 viewsexiledclaseboy

Firstly they need to sort out ticket prices. Upwards of £60 for a day at a Test match is ridiculous especially when you add on beer and grub because you're not allowed to take your own in any more.

The future of Test cricket on 12:21 - Jul 24 with 685 viewsexiledclaseboy

Day/night Tests won't work here either. It doesn't get dark until 9pm or later in the summer so the lights won't take full effect. It's only in the late summer ODIs in Britain that you see the full effects of the floodlights and by them everyone's freezing their arses of because it's September.

The future of Test cricket on 12:24 - Jul 24 with 678 viewsepaul

Some interesting points but 5 days for me better chance of a result

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

The future of Test cricket on 15:38 - Jul 24 with 639 viewsChrisSCFC

Surprised England aren't enforcing the follow on with a 391 run lead, they've only bowled 60 overs.
The future of Test cricket on 16:46 - Jul 24 with 610 viewstherealme

The future of Test cricket on 15:38 - Jul 24 by ChrisSCFC

Surprised England aren't enforcing the follow on with a 391 run lead, they've only bowled 60 overs.

That's Cook for you. I want to see England to win of course but by God Cook's leadership and tactics are so dull

Francesco's black and white army ⚪️⚫️

Login to get fewer ads

The future of Test cricket on 17:06 - Jul 24 with 588 viewsdickythorpe

Batting practice, should have put Vince in to open.
The future of Test cricket on 17:24 - Jul 24 with 581 viewsCountyJim

The future of Test cricket on 16:46 - Jul 24 by therealme

That's Cook for you. I want to see England to win of course but by God Cook's leadership and tactics are so dull

He asked Anderson perhaps he wanted to put his feet up

A good Captain will always ask his bowlers
The future of Test cricket on 17:52 - Jul 24 with 560 viewstherealme

The future of Test cricket on 17:24 - Jul 24 by CountyJim

He asked Anderson perhaps he wanted to put his feet up

A good Captain will always ask his bowlers

After bowling just 13 overs in a genuine 5 man attack? Come on.... No chance

Francesco's black and white army ⚪️⚫️

The future of Test cricket on 22:21 - Jul 24 with 506 viewsCooperman

What was the case for doing this Dicky?

Personally I'm happy to leave it at 5 days. This isn't a T20 blast and never will be. I'm more than happy to watch a test meander through a session or two and if it goes to five days then so be it. The fact that many tests these days end in 3 days is down to either the risk taking of the batsman or the gulf in class between the two teams. For example India have just trounced WI in a game that could have been over by tea on day 3 had India not declared on such a high score. To lose by an innings and 92 runs whilst playing at home tells us a lot.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

The future of Test cricket on 22:30 - Jul 24 with 503 viewsDarran

I used to love cricket so can I ask a serious question please?

Did there used to be as much cricket as this? It seems like there's no seasons anymore.
When Sky first had England in the West Indies live on Sky and that fella was dancing in the stand and Tony Cozier goes oh that's so and so it was special but they play too much now.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

The future of Test cricket on 22:37 - Jul 24 with 494 viewsBrynmill_Jack

...............................is Aneurin Donald !

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

The future of Test cricket on 22:37 - Jul 24 with 494 viewsexiledclaseboy

The future of Test cricket on 22:30 - Jul 24 by Darran

I used to love cricket so can I ask a serious question please?

Did there used to be as much cricket as this? It seems like there's no seasons anymore.
When Sky first had England in the West Indies live on Sky and that fella was dancing in the stand and Tony Cozier goes oh that's so and so it was special but they play too much now.

There's too much cricket these days in the same way there's too much football. TV companies rule. Although there's not much more Test cricket than there used to be, it's just that almost all of it in the world is onTV now whereas you never used to see England's winter tours live and seeing a test match between two countries that weren't England was unheard of. White ball cricket is at saturation point though.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024