Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Scottish Independence 17:47 - Jul 25 with 2950 viewsjohnlangy

I reckon they SHOULD hold another referendum. And this time the slogan should be 'Vote Yes and take back Control'.
Scottish Independence on 13:06 - Jul 26 with 726 viewsItchySphincter

Scottish Independence on 12:58 - Jul 26 by Highjack

They won't call another referendum because they know they won't win it. People are greatly overestimating the strength of feeling towards the EU when most people had never even heard of it 3 months ago.

You're wrong. You're a top poster and I'm reluctant to lock horns with you but you've got this EU thing hopelessly, completely and utterly wrong imo if you think people don't know what the EU is and before the queue forms to tell me what democracy is I am not an EU lover.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Scottish Independence on 13:25 - Jul 26 with 711 viewsHighjack

Scottish Independence on 13:06 - Jul 26 by ItchySphincter

You're wrong. You're a top poster and I'm reluctant to lock horns with you but you've got this EU thing hopelessly, completely and utterly wrong imo if you think people don't know what the EU is and before the queue forms to tell me what democracy is I am not an EU lover.

Well given the number one search on Google leading up to the referendum was "what is the EU" it would be completely sensible to suggest people's indifference toward the detail. Also given the turnout and general lack of interest in the European elections I don't believe people got that involved with it.

Doubt this time last year most average voters out there would ever have heard the name Junker, or would have been able to name a single MEP apart from Farage.

You're welcome to disagree with me. This is a discussion board and the world would be so boring if everyone thought the same. There's a lot of posters I like and respect but completely disagree with on essentially everything.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Scottish Independence on 18:14 - Jul 26 with 679 viewssherpajacob

Scottish Independence on 23:29 - Jul 25 by londonlisa2001

She won't call it - can't afford it. Couldn't afford it last time and since then oil has plummeted.

And this time she couldn't even begin to claim things like using sterling as currency, etc etc.

Scotland would have the 11 or 12th biggest economy out of the remaining 27 eu members. Oil is important, but it's not the be all.

Of course the majority of Scotland's trade is with England, so it remains to be seen how that would work, depends on the terms of brexit and only makes it more likely brexit will entail retaining free movement and a single market.The Irish border issue could push us the same way. Brexiters won't be happy, but they'll have to suck it up and get over it.

The Scots are still seething as what they saw as Cameron backtracking on the pledge. And they probably see May as another Thatcher. If the get another referendum and it includes a commitment from the EU that they are in, I can see them going.

If they do go and stay in the eu at the same time I can see Brussels chucking billions their way.

It's all.horribly messy, who would have thought eh.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Scottish Independence on 18:27 - Jul 26 with 670 viewsKilkennyjack

The SNP won 56 out of the 59 scottish in the last General election. Jumped from just 6 seats in 2010. Its a seismic shift and gives Nicola all the mandate she needs to go for a second referendum. The result will be a formality as the so called pledge was a lie and the people have had enough of being taken for mugs. Good for them.

Beware of the Risen People

Scottish Independence on 18:52 - Jul 26 with 660 viewslondonlisa2001

Scottish Independence on 18:14 - Jul 26 by sherpajacob

Scotland would have the 11 or 12th biggest economy out of the remaining 27 eu members. Oil is important, but it's not the be all.

Of course the majority of Scotland's trade is with England, so it remains to be seen how that would work, depends on the terms of brexit and only makes it more likely brexit will entail retaining free movement and a single market.The Irish border issue could push us the same way. Brexiters won't be happy, but they'll have to suck it up and get over it.

The Scots are still seething as what they saw as Cameron backtracking on the pledge. And they probably see May as another Thatcher. If the get another referendum and it includes a commitment from the EU that they are in, I can see them going.

If they do go and stay in the eu at the same time I can see Brussels chucking billions their way.

It's all.horribly messy, who would have thought eh.

It's not only oil - it's also financial services and public sector.

There is a zero chance of public sector work remaining in a Scotland within the EU with the rest of the U.K. out. There'd be ructions. They also benefit hugely from the Subsidy from England and they'd lose that. There would be a big question over their financial services institution, but their main issue would be around RBS which will not be headquartered in Scotland while owned by the Brutish government (sans Scotland). So it depends whether they'd be prepared to take on the RBS debt. Also they'd need to take on their share of the UK's debt position, while being utterly unable to finance it as their credit rating would be up the spout so their interest payments would be enormous.

I don't think Sturgeon is that stupid. The threat of them leaving has always been a bigger deal for her than them doing so. I'd call her bluff if I was Theresa May and tell her she can have another referendum. They'd vote to leave this time, and they'd be buggered by doing so and I think Sturgeon would be in an impossible situation.

They won't remain both part of the U.K. And part of the EU as it would be constitutionally impossible, and Spain would veto anyway.
Scottish Independence on 20:35 - Jul 26 with 630 viewstrampie

Scottish Independence on 13:05 - Jul 26 by Highjack

Yeah all their arguments last time are null and void now. They needed to base their entire future on something more substantial than a finite resource that doesn't keep a reliable value.

It's like trampie campaigning for independence on the basis we can sell water and sheep to England for the next 2500 years.

England need to get in line and bid big, an independent Wales will be selling to the highest bidder whether that is the USA, Mexico, the Middle East or Africa, we will be transporting water using huge ocean going ships just like some countries used to transport oil.
Port Talbot and Milford Haven will be terminals for the big ships.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Scottish Independence on 20:43 - Jul 26 with 628 viewstrampie

I have been saying for at least a decade if not decades [time go's so quick] the UK is going to break up, Wales, Scotland and N.Ireland having to suffer permanent Tory rule administered by Westminster and voted for by the English is a situation that wont last.

I thought the Scots seeking independence would get between a quarter and a third of the vote first time round and then win at the second time of asking, crickey they got 45% first time round with all the dirty tricks against them, its in the bag a home win next time round.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Scottish Independence on 23:35 - Jul 26 with 582 viewsjackrabbit

Scottish Independence on 20:35 - Jul 26 by trampie

England need to get in line and bid big, an independent Wales will be selling to the highest bidder whether that is the USA, Mexico, the Middle East or Africa, we will be transporting water using huge ocean going ships just like some countries used to transport oil.

Will there be rubber ducks in the water?
Login to get fewer ads

Scottish Independence on 06:56 - Jul 27 with 560 viewsHighjack

Scottish Independence on 20:35 - Jul 26 by trampie

Yes, some countries will be willing to pay upwards of 7 pence per barrel.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

Scottish Independence on 07:01 - Jul 27 with 556 viewsDr_Winston

Scottish Independence on 20:43 - Jul 26 by trampie

I have been saying for at least a decade if not decades [time go's so quick] the UK is going to break up, Wales, Scotland and N.Ireland having to suffer permanent Tory rule administered by Westminster and voted for by the English is a situation that wont last.

I thought the Scots seeking independence would get between a quarter and a third of the vote first time round and then win at the second time of asking, crickey they got 45% first time round with all the dirty tricks against them, its in the bag a home win next time round.

Feels like decades.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Scottish Independence on 09:33 - Jul 27 with 531 viewsjohnlangy

Scottish Independence on 12:58 - Jul 26 by Highjack

They won't call another referendum because they know they won't win it. People are greatly overestimating the strength of feeling towards the EU when most people had never even heard of it 3 months ago.

So, a turnout of 80% with a Remain vote of 62% and they are overestimating the strength of feeling towards the EU ?
Scottish Independence on 09:41 - Jul 27 with 528 viewsslate_dk

Scottish Independence on 06:56 - Jul 27 by Highjack

Yes, some countries will be willing to pay upwards of 7 pence per barrel.

Dont knock it; water is going to get big in the near future.

Pentagon has been looking at water for a long time.
First of all it is a practical problem having trops in warm and dusty places; it is many tankers that have to be protected as they drive towards the bases.
But also strategic; they estimate that by 2035 we will see regional unrest/wars because of water shortage. Which could lead to even more refugees running towards Europe
Scottish Independence on 16:42 - Jul 27 with 500 viewsQuakerJack

Scottish Independence on 22:43 - Jul 25 by Kilkennyjack

Of course they should.

The old people were scared into voting no, and the pro EU types felt it was safer to stay. Not any more.

Unless you want to be Scotlandshire and be ruled by English Tory types then do it.

It will be a landslide as well.

agree!! and if they go and Ireland (rightly) unites we will go as well... and so we should...!

Poll: Some scummer on the anus board reckons 80% of us want them to go down. so... do

Scottish Independence on 16:52 - Jul 27 with 496 viewsHighjack

Scottish Independence on 09:33 - Jul 27 by johnlangy

So, a turnout of 80% with a Remain vote of 62% and they are overestimating the strength of feeling towards the EU ?

Turnout was 66% in Scotland which was below the UK average.

But it's a big assumption to make that those who voted against independence 2 years ago will change their minds because of Brexit. It's just as possible that those who voted for independence two years ago would like to leave the EU. The two factors are not mutually exclusive.

Scottish Independence on 17:10 - Jul 27 with 491 viewsjohnlangy

Scottish Independence on 16:52 - Jul 27 by Highjack

Turnout was 66% in Scotland which was below the UK average.

But it's a big assumption to make that those who voted against independence 2 years ago will change their minds because of Brexit. It's just as possible that those who voted for independence two years ago would like to leave the EU. The two factors are not mutually exclusive.

Apologies. I thought it was a high turnout like the rest of the UK.

As regards the possible result of a second referendum, the vote last time was 55/45 against. In the last week or so of that campaign all the big guns from the Labour and Conservative parties got together and pushed the same message. They said that the idea the SNP had that an independant Scotland would be able to join the EU was not going to work and that the only way the Scots could GUARANTEE remaining part of the EU was as part of the UK.

And look where that got them. It's impossible to say how many potential yes voters had their minds turned with this message but the gap is not exactly insurmountable
Scottish Independence on 20:01 - Jul 27 with 371 viewsHighjack

Scottish Independence on 17:10 - Jul 27 by johnlangy

Apologies. I thought it was a high turnout like the rest of the UK.

As regards the possible result of a second referendum, the vote last time was 55/45 against. In the last week or so of that campaign all the big guns from the Labour and Conservative parties got together and pushed the same message. They said that the idea the SNP had that an independant Scotland would be able to join the EU was not going to work and that the only way the Scots could GUARANTEE remaining part of the EU was as part of the UK.

And look where that got them. It's impossible to say how many potential yes voters had their minds turned with this message but the gap is not exactly insurmountable

Of course it's not insurmountable, but is the EU issue enough on its own to swing 400,000 votes in a 4,000,000 strong electorate?

I'm not convinced it is.

Bear in mind they based virtually their whole future prosperity on oil, the price of which has since crashed and they are still dithering over which currency to use.

They are not in a strong position. They are far better off waiting a few years, another failed referendum at this point will take the issue off the table for the foreseeable future.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024