Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Joe Allen Deal Done 21:32 - Jul 25 with 7262 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/wales/36850814

Now let's see what Huwey turns up......

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Joe Allen Deal Done on 12:01 - Jul 26 with 1278 viewstomdickharry

Good luck to him,lets move on.
Tom Carroll looking very good for Spurs in their friendly with Juventus SSP 1,Bentaleb also looks a useful player so there's players out there that would cost us a fraction of what Joe Allen has cost Stoke,in fact think Carroll is on a Bosman and played 30 games in all last season.
Joe Allen Deal Done on 14:54 - Jul 26 with 1172 viewslondonlisa2001

Joe Allen Deal Done on 11:40 - Jul 26 by monmouth

More evidence that it's the right decision then.

It's the most wrong decision we've made.

It was the closest any football transaction comes to a no brainer.

I'm genuinely struggling to understand why you think it was a bad deal.
Joe Allen Deal Done on 15:26 - Jul 26 with 1108 viewsBorojack

Joe Allen Deal Done on 14:54 - Jul 26 by londonlisa2001

I am disappointed but we can only spend within our budget.
I am guessing its around the 25 miĺlion mark and Huw has said we need 2 strikers plus another player.
If we spent close on 15 mil on joe how would we then fund the striker purchases.
I have a feeling Huw was hoping Joe would say no to Stoke and we would get him a bit cheaper could be wrong but just a hunch.

Poll: Should Huw Jenkins be sacked

Joe Allen Deal Done on 15:36 - Jul 26 with 1090 viewslondonlisa2001

Joe Allen Deal Done on 15:26 - Jul 26 by Borojack

I am disappointed but we can only spend within our budget.
I am guessing its around the 25 miĺlion mark and Huw has said we need 2 strikers plus another player.
If we spent close on 15 mil on joe how would we then fund the striker purchases.
I have a feeling Huw was hoping Joe would say no to Stoke and we would get him a bit cheaper could be wrong but just a hunch.

I agree with the budget bit.

But we've had in about £10m so far this window with an outlay of £2m, sold JJS for £12m last window (with an outlay of £8m ish) and we've been categorically told that the new owners were brought in as we couldn't carry on the way we were.

Plus we have a budget every year allocated to players.

I agree that midfield wasn't a pressing need at the moment, but by next season (maybe even January) it will be because Leon will be finished and he leaves a huge gap (hence why we played him so often last season). Allen will now be unaffordable to fill that gap and he would have been a perfect fit. £11m is hugely undervalued in a market where Ibe is going for £15m.

But the main thing for me is that if Huw had said on Friday that we simply didn't have the budget, fine - no problem. I'm angry at the spin - on Friday he said (as did Levien) that we were going to try to get him and we didn't.

The ONLY possible justification for a deal that has finished 'fan ownership' of the Swans is that the finances are just too much and we need financial muscle. If it's business as usual then the ethos of the club has been sold for no gain at all. Others may be happy with that which is fine. It's equally fine that I and others are very unhappy with that.
Joe Allen Deal Done on 15:37 - Jul 26 with 1090 viewsmagicdaps10

In a footballing sense it was a no brainer to sign him but it seems the financial side of the deal was beyond us.

I think some(myself included) hoped this new takeover would push us into being able to sign players like Joey for this sort of fee and still have money over for a big name striker plus a couple of adds ons with the squad. It seems that we are looking at 3/4 players in and around the 8M bracket...........so i would expect about 30M being used, Joe's fee would have eaten into half off that.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Joe Allen Deal Done on 15:41 - Jul 26 with 1075 viewslondonlisa2001

Joe Allen Deal Done on 15:37 - Jul 26 by magicdaps10

In a footballing sense it was a no brainer to sign him but it seems the financial side of the deal was beyond us.

I think some(myself included) hoped this new takeover would push us into being able to sign players like Joey for this sort of fee and still have money over for a big name striker plus a couple of adds ons with the squad. It seems that we are looking at 3/4 players in and around the 8M bracket...........so i would expect about 30M being used, Joe's fee would have eaten into half off that.

It was £11m - yes, there are costs etc, but there are with all deals.

If money is that tight, why the hell have we brought in a 6th goalkeeper and some kid at right back when we've apparently a real talent in that position anyway breaking through?

Why give Bartley another deal (with a new signing bonus presumably) before loaning him out.

The reason I said it was such a wrong decision is not only football but financial. Let's have a guess whether Allen after a season starting every match for us would be worth more than £11m in the insane market we have. A good season and he's worth £25m in that position, easily.
Joe Allen Deal Done on 15:48 - Jul 26 with 1052 viewsnantywatcher

Lets make a note of everything in 5 months time, say Boxing Day?
I think we have dodged a bullet. JA is way over-priced for a bread and butter footballer with no real outstanding qualities other than he can run around in circles for an hour or so.
Liverpool fans cannot believe their luck in passing him on, but he's got some outstanding players to work with at Stoke, so lets watch it all unfold.
Personally I'm very pleased we stepped aside.
Meet you here just after Christmas and will see who's judgement bears scrutiny.
Joe Allen Deal Done on 15:49 - Jul 26 with 1044 viewsjasper_T

The Tyler Reid deal hasn't cost the club more than a grand a week. He wasn't a big deal at United, and is going to be fighting with Aaron Lewis to be Roberts' understudy in the u23s.
Login to get fewer ads

Joe Allen Deal Done on 15:51 - Jul 26 with 1037 viewsBorojack

Joe Allen Deal Done on 15:36 - Jul 26 by londonlisa2001

But we've had in about £10m so far this window with an outlay of £2m, sold JJS for £12m last window (with an outlay of £8m ish) and we've been categorically told that the new owners were brought in as we couldn't carry on the way we were.

I agree that midfield wasn't a pressing need at the moment, but by next season (maybe even January) it will be because Leon will be finished and he leaves a huge gap (hence why we played him so often last season). Allen will now be unaffordable to fill that gap and he would have been a perfect fit. £11m is hugely undervalued in a market where Ibe is going for £15m.

But the main thing for me is that if Huw had said on Friday that we simply didn't have the budget, fine - no problem. I'm angry at the spin - on Friday he said (as did Levien) that we were going to try to get him and we didn't.

The ONLY possible justification for a deal that has finished 'fan ownership' of the Swans is that the finances are just too much and we need financial muscle. If it's business as usual then the ethos of the club has been sold for no gain at all. Others may be happy with that which is fine. It's equally fine that I and others are very unhappy with that.

I think its pretty obvious why we were sold and it wasnt to take the club to the next level
The sellers have made millions of pounds out of the sale and if it goes tits up they will have that as there legacy.
The bottom line is though that Huw no longer makes the decisions thats why the Americans payed in excess of 100 million quid to buy the club.
Huw does as he was told.
One thing that will come out of it is I think Jenkins will be a bit more coy in future press conferences Etc.

Joe Allen Deal Done on 15:51 - Jul 26 with 1036 viewsdailew

Joe Allen Deal Done on 15:48 - Jul 26 by nantywatcher

I think we have dodged a bullet. JA is way over-priced for a bread and butter footballer with no real outstanding qualities other than he can run around in circles for an hour or so.
Liverpool fans cannot believe their luck in passing him on, but he's got some outstanding players to work with at Stoke, so lets watch it all unfold.

Indeed.

Don't even think he'd be a regular for us. Cork and Leon are better players. So are Ki and Fer if we can get them interested.

Much rather the £13m went towards a forward and keeping Gylfi.

Poll: Would you like Rodgers back as the new manager ?

Joe Allen Deal Done on 15:52 - Jul 26 with 1027 viewsjasper_T

The Liverpool fans I've spoken to are sad to see him go as he always did the job for them when asked, and £11m isn't a lot of money to them in a £15m Ibe world.

Similar to how Spurs fans felt about Gylfi.
Joe Allen Deal Done on 15:52 - Jul 26 with 1020 viewsmonmouth

I just don't think he's an 11m or 13m pound player and I don't think he'd have improved the first choice team very much (I appreciate I'd lose that referendum quite heavily). Having said that if we had done it I'd have welcomed him with open arms, because as a squad addition he'd be fine, which is why I think 8m was the 'proper' price. Hughes is just doing what he did at QPR and overpaying for unexceptional players on reputation, hoping they'll end up as a team. Lets hope he crashes and burns again.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2016 16:00]

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Joe Allen Deal Done on 15:54 - Jul 26 with 1012 viewslondonlisa2001

Ok.

I hope against all hope by the way that our team is strengthened and that we do very well and are miles above Stoke at Christmas, or the end of the season, or forever. And I hope we find some gem of a player to fill Leon's boots in the future.

But £11m way overpriced for a footballer who was in the team of the tournament at the Euros? In this market? Ok then. But actually, it's besides the point in many ways, as our chairman said on Friday afternoon that we wanted him at that price,
Joe Allen Deal Done on 15:56 - Jul 26 with 997 viewsmonmouth

Joe Allen Deal Done on 15:54 - Jul 26 by londonlisa2001

Ok.

I hope against all hope by the way that our team is strengthened and that we do very well and are miles above Stoke at Christmas, or the end of the season, or forever. And I hope we find some gem of a player to fill Leon's boots in the future.

But £11m way overpriced for a footballer who was in the team of the tournament at the Euros? In this market? Ok then. But actually, it's besides the point in many ways, as our chairman said on Friday afternoon that we wanted him at that price,

The last bit is the bit that worries me more. If true we should have just bought the bugger and then we'd all be happy, whatever our expectations.

edit - I don't mean if what he said is true, but if when he said it he actually believed it to be true.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2016 15:58]

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Joe Allen Deal Done on 15:56 - Jul 26 with 998 viewslondonlisa2001

Joe Allen Deal Done on 15:49 - Jul 26 by jasper_T

The Tyler Reid deal hasn't cost the club more than a grand a week. He wasn't a big deal at United, and is going to be fighting with Aaron Lewis to be Roberts' understudy in the u23s.

You missed my point - I'm not saying he's the reason we do or don't sign people, I'm saying if money is THAT tight (which I don't believe - that's the whole point) we wouldn't spend money on someone to be fighting to be someone's understudy in the 23s.
Joe Allen Deal Done on 15:57 - Jul 26 with 946 viewsjasper_T

Accounting for the inflation in TV money, £11m isn't worth half what it was to PL clubs 3 or 4 years ago.
Joe Allen Deal Done on 15:58 - Jul 26 with 936 viewsmagicdaps10

Joe Allen Deal Done on 15:41 - Jul 26 by londonlisa2001

It was £11m - yes, there are costs etc, but there are with all deals.

If money is that tight, why the hell have we brought in a 6th goalkeeper and some kid at right back when we've apparently a real talent in that position anyway breaking through?

Why give Bartley another deal (with a new signing bonus presumably) before loaning him out.

The reason I said it was such a wrong decision is not only football but financial. Let's have a guess whether Allen after a season starting every match for us would be worth more than £11m in the insane market we have. A good season and he's worth £25m in that position, easily.

I would like to see it that way AND liked to have seen the ambition by the club to have gone for Allen.
We are talking about a guy in his last 12Months of his contract, he would have presumably demanded a signing on fee on top of the transfer fee, plus throw in his wages of around 60-80k.
Another possibility could be the need to move players on before we could get him in, maybe Joey could not wait for this and as soon as the Stoke deal came around he thought he had to take it for both footballing and financial reasons.
For whatever reason and we can all surmise as to why, it was obviously out of our reach to bring back Joey Allen.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Joe Allen Deal Done on 16:00 - Jul 26 with 922 viewslondonlisa2001

Joe Allen Deal Done on 15:56 - Jul 26 by monmouth

The last bit is the bit that worries me more. If true we should have just bought the bugger and then we'd all be happy, whatever our expectations.

edit - I don't mean if what he said is true, but if when he said it he actually believed it to be true.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2016 15:58]

Exactly - I've tried to repeat many times that it's that bit which is deeply worrying to me. I think he's great value for that price, but as I've said a few times now, if we'd said that we didn't think so, I'd have no problems, - I'd disagree, but so be it.

The thing is though, we didn't say that - we said categorically that we wanted him and didn't move ourselves to sort it out.
Joe Allen Deal Done on 16:02 - Jul 26 with 914 viewsjasper_T

Joe Allen Deal Done on 15:56 - Jul 26 by londonlisa2001

You missed my point - I'm not saying he's the reason we do or don't sign people, I'm saying if money is THAT tight (which I don't believe - that's the whole point) we wouldn't spend money on someone to be fighting to be someone's understudy in the 23s.

The wages of the youth players we shipped out of the club at the end of their contracts this summer pays for Reid & Byers 5x over. Youth spending shouldn't be a concern.

A 25 year old goalkeeper of little note being paid £10k a week to be 3rd choice is a genuine puzzler.
Joe Allen Deal Done on 16:03 - Jul 26 with 905 viewsBorojack

Joe Allen Deal Done on 15:36 - Jul 26 by londonlisa2001

We have outlayed about 6 million I think on the Dutch CB and Fer not 2 million.

Joe Allen Deal Done on 16:04 - Jul 26 with 899 viewslondonlisa2001

Joe Allen Deal Done on 15:57 - Jul 26 by jasper_T

Accounting for the inflation in TV money, £11m isn't worth half what it was to PL clubs 3 or 4 years ago.

It's like people are missing this.

What has happened with the TV deal is the equivalent to having price inflation in the economy caused by wage inflation.

What last year cost £1m now costs £1.5m - it's the SAME price.

So last season's £8m is now £12m. Because everyone gets more income, it's the same relative cost. It doesn't mean the player costs more.
Joe Allen Deal Done on 16:06 - Jul 26 with 893 viewslondonlisa2001

Joe Allen Deal Done on 16:03 - Jul 26 by Borojack

We have outlayed about 6 million I think on the Dutch CB and Fer not 2 million.

Yes you're right. I forgot Fer.
Joe Allen Deal Done on 16:06 - Jul 26 with 891 viewsjasper_T

Joe Allen Deal Done on 15:57 - Jul 26 by jasper_T

Top prize money for 2012-13 was £60m. This coming season the winner will bank £150m.
Joe Allen Deal Done on 16:17 - Jul 26 with 857 viewsBorojack

Joe Allen Deal Done on 16:00 - Jul 26 by londonlisa2001

Exactly - I've tried to repeat many times that it's that bit which is deeply worrying to me. I think he's great value for that price, but as I've said a few times now, if we'd said that we didn't think so, I'd have no problems, - I'd disagree, but so be it.

The thing is though, we didn't say that - we said categorically that we wanted him and didn't move ourselves to sort it out.

Maybe Huw wanted him but the money men would not shell out who knows
It raises plenty of questions though.
My biggest concern is what plans the new owners have in store for us.
Hopefully they wont start by selling Ayew and Siggy and replace with bargain basement buys.

Joe Allen Deal Done on 16:19 - Jul 26 with 849 viewslondonlisa2001

Joe Allen Deal Done on 16:17 - Jul 26 by Borojack

Maybe Huw wanted him but the money men would not shell out who knows
It raises plenty of questions though.
My biggest concern is what plans the new owners have in store for us.
Hopefully they wont start by selling Ayew and Siggy and replace with bargain basement buys.

Well Levien said we wanted him on Friday as well.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024