Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Guidolin Effect (or lack of it!) 21:34 - Jul 26 with 4648 viewsTrewyddfa_Jack

I must admit Francesco was not my first choice as Manager/Coach for the new season but after keeping us up yes why not, he deserves the chance.
My concern is the problem over communication due to his limited English and after seeing his interview after the Bristol Rovers friendly, It seems to be worse even cringeworthy.
He certainly is not comfortable in front of the camera and I felt embarrassed for him.
I'm just wondering how much of an effect this could be for any potential payers we are looking to sign, many players sign because of the manager, is this one of the reasons Joe Allen signed for Stoke?
We certainly should be able to attract decent players now that we are an established Premier League club.
But we also seem out of favour with the press because of poor communication from the manager and we are no longer "media friendly". They seem to be staying away from us compared to the times with Rodgers, Laudrup and Monk where we were never out of the news and always giving interviews.
This all gives me a lack confidence for the new season especially with the lack of signings so far.
But it could all change in the next few weeks and we finish in the top 8 !!!
Why do I worry?

The Guidolin Effect (or lack of it!) on 00:04 - Jul 27 with 1542 viewsWarwickHunt

The Guidolin Effect (or lack of it!) on 23:21 - Jul 26 by jackrabbit

I'm not panicking but I am getting a little concerned re Signor Guidolin. I was expecting to see us linked with one or two Serie A 'secondary' players by now. ,What I mean by 'secondary' is not the megastar types who go to Chelsea or Man City, but the solid under-the- radar performers at the Italian top level. Examples during the Laudrup era were Michu, Hernandes and Flores in La Liga. Where are the Italian equivalents? I was optimistic when he brought in Paloschi very swiftly when we needed him. But since then, nothing. Not even a rumour!

I'm hoping that Guidolin does not turn out to be a distant relative of Paulo Sousa. There was a manager who had been a top quality superstar as a player, but didn't seem to have made any contacts along the way. I can't remember him bringing anybody into the team.

It's all very well having a good man-manager at the helm, but it's more important, in my mind, that he has a healthy thick little black book of potential recruits. Now that the new owners have finalised things, perhaps we'll see some action on the player front. We need new blood just to keep the old blood happy. Losing Gylfi and Ayew would be a total and utter disaster.

Which bit of "Huw Jenkins is Director of Football" are you struggling with?

Your concern is misplaced.
The Guidolin Effect (or lack of it!) on 06:38 - Jul 27 with 1405 viewsBrynmill_Jack

The Guidolin Effect (or lack of it!) on 23:36 - Jul 26 by dailew

He wouldn't even move.

He'd just be out standing.

take a bow

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

The Guidolin Effect (or lack of it!) on 10:58 - Jul 27 with 1205 viewsKGriz16

transfer can happen in a matter of hours. i am confident something is in the waters with regards to a striker. as much as i wanted joe allen here, he was a luxery. new contract for gylfi and sort ayews' future out

with regards to FG - cant wait to be standing in the east stand watching his crouched down assessing the game. in FG i trust. look at his previous jobs.

FG barmy army!
The Guidolin Effect (or lack of it!) on 11:00 - Jul 27 with 1197 viewsDafyddHuw

The Guidolin Effect (or lack of it!) on 23:32 - Jul 26 by Brynmill_Jack

Rodgers probably would have been too bg headed to jog down the seafront.

Anybody who makes a point of being welcoming to disabled kids doesn't strike me as a big-head.

Some very one-eyed perspectives on here.
The Guidolin Effect (or lack of it!) on 11:07 - Jul 27 with 1172 viewsLeonisGod

The Guidolin Effect (or lack of it!) on 11:00 - Jul 27 by DafyddHuw

Anybody who makes a point of being welcoming to disabled kids doesn't strike me as a big-head.

It's jilted lover syndrome.
The same reason why I want to shove Joey's f*ckin chickens up his f*ckin ar5e!

Thinking logically I know that we don't really need him, but logic loses out when you've got the hump over missing out on a signing or a successful manager ditches you.
The Guidolin Effect (or lack of it!) on 11:10 - Jul 27 with 1166 viewsjasper_T

How are these things mutually exclusive?
The Guidolin Effect (or lack of it!) on 11:18 - Jul 27 with 1150 viewsLeonisGod

Guidolin's pressers mean nothing at all. They have no bearing on how we play or who we sign. It's just to feed the media machine and entertain the masses.

There is a lack of an impact from him though. I was expecting a lot more innovation from him, but it seems the club have him on a very short leash. His impact on how we set up for games, players we were linked with / signings, etc. has been a lot less than I was expecting. Certainly when you compare to when Rodgers or Laudrup came in, there was a shift in playing style and new signings that obviously weren't Huw's. But in the main we've carried on with the same system and, with the exception of Paloschi, Huw/the club seems to be finding our players. Where about Guidolin's contacts in the game? Don't we trust the guy who is one of the best respected managers in Italy?

Maybe this is deliberate from Guidolin and he thinks there's not a lot wrong with us that just a few minor tweaks wouldn't sort out? Maybe Huw had his fingers burnt with wasteful signings and is being over-controlling? Who knows.
The Guidolin Effect (or lack of it!) on 11:39 - Jul 27 with 1121 viewslonglostjack

The Guidolin Effect (or lack of it!) on 11:18 - Jul 27 by LeonisGod

Guidolin's pressers mean nothing at all. They have no bearing on how we play or who we sign. It's just to feed the media machine and entertain the masses.

There is a lack of an impact from him though. I was expecting a lot more innovation from him, but it seems the club have him on a very short leash. His impact on how we set up for games, players we were linked with / signings, etc. has been a lot less than I was expecting. Certainly when you compare to when Rodgers or Laudrup came in, there was a shift in playing style and new signings that obviously weren't Huw's. But in the main we've carried on with the same system and, with the exception of Paloschi, Huw/the club seems to be finding our players. Where about Guidolin's contacts in the game? Don't we trust the guy who is one of the best respected managers in Italy?

Maybe this is deliberate from Guidolin and he thinks there's not a lot wrong with us that just a few minor tweaks wouldn't sort out? Maybe Huw had his fingers burnt with wasteful signings and is being over-controlling? Who knows.

Or maybe it's our new owners controlling Huw these days.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Login to get fewer ads

The Guidolin Effect (or lack of it!) on 12:19 - Jul 27 with 1074 viewsLeonisGod

The Guidolin Effect (or lack of it!) on 11:39 - Jul 27 by longlostjack

Or maybe it's our new owners controlling Huw these days.

My views on this are based on what happened last season though, so before the American's had time to have any impact. Dunno - maybe I'm reading too much into it, but Guido seems very passive. Maybe it is simply a case of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. Our results in the second half of the season and general upturn in play towards the end seem to suggest he's doing a decent job. I was just expecting a bit more of a change, that's all.
The Guidolin Effect (or lack of it!) on 13:02 - Jul 27 with 1032 viewsjasper_T

The Guidolin Effect (or lack of it!) on 12:19 - Jul 27 by LeonisGod

My views on this are based on what happened last season though, so before the American's had time to have any impact. Dunno - maybe I'm reading too much into it, but Guido seems very passive. Maybe it is simply a case of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. Our results in the second half of the season and general upturn in play towards the end seem to suggest he's doing a decent job. I was just expecting a bit more of a change, that's all.

Will be interesting to see how the new fitness coach and an almost full preseason might change how Guidolin has us play.
The Guidolin Effect (or lack of it!) on 13:47 - Jul 27 with 993 viewswhiterock

Is the fact that he has a translator by his side and 3/4 Italians now in the back room set up helping? Last season he had to communicate now he just speaks in his native tongue
The Guidolin Effect (or lack of it!) on 21:46 - Jul 27 with 855 viewsjackrabbit

The Guidolin Effect (or lack of it!) on 00:04 - Jul 27 by WarwickHunt

Which bit of "Huw Jenkins is Director of Football" are you struggling with?

Your concern is misplaced.

I'm not struggling with anything, apart from why, when we have an experienced manager who has the knowledge of Serie A and loads of personal contacts in the Italian Leagues, are we not tapping into that knowledge and using it to fortify the team? Even if Huw is the one who draws up the contracts, I would have thought that Guidolin would be the one who brings in the players.

That seems to be the way it worked with Laudrup. Seems pretty logical that it should continue that way, no matter what Huw's title is. There again it might explain some of our more recent poor transfers in.
The Guidolin Effect (or lack of it!) on 21:48 - Jul 27 with 837 viewsDr_Winston

The Guidolin Effect (or lack of it!) on 21:46 - Jul 27 by jackrabbit

I'm not struggling with anything, apart from why, when we have an experienced manager who has the knowledge of Serie A and loads of personal contacts in the Italian Leagues, are we not tapping into that knowledge and using it to fortify the team? Even if Huw is the one who draws up the contracts, I would have thought that Guidolin would be the one who brings in the players.

That seems to be the way it worked with Laudrup. Seems pretty logical that it should continue that way, no matter what Huw's title is. There again it might explain some of our more recent poor transfers in.

Since Laudrup (and Tutumlu) the amount of input managers have into recruitment appears to have diminished significantly.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The Guidolin Effect (or lack of it!) on 21:49 - Jul 27 with 827 viewsWarwickHunt

The Guidolin Effect (or lack of it!) on 21:46 - Jul 27 by jackrabbit

It would indeed be logical for someone with Guidolin's impeccable record of spotting and developing talent to be in charge of recruitment.

However, Huw Jenkins is The Messiah. Apparently.
The Guidolin Effect (or lack of it!) on 22:15 - Jul 27 with 737 viewsDr_Winston

The Guidolin Effect (or lack of it!) on 21:49 - Jul 27 by WarwickHunt

It would indeed be logical for someone with Guidolin's impeccable record of spotting and developing talent to be in charge of recruitment.

However, Huw Jenkins is The Messiah. Apparently.

If Guidolin hasn't got much experience of supervising recruitment (which would appear to be the case given his history) or doesn't much want to be in charge of it then it wouldn't be logical for him to be so.

It would be entirely logical for no player to be signed or sold without his agreement though, which doesn't appear to have happened much under either Monk or the last days of Laudrup.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The Guidolin Effect (or lack of it!) on 22:32 - Jul 27 with 683 viewsWarwickHunt

The Guidolin Effect (or lack of it!) on 22:15 - Jul 27 by Dr_Winston

If Guidolin hasn't got much experience of supervising recruitment (which would appear to be the case given his history) or doesn't much want to be in charge of it then it wouldn't be logical for him to be so.

It would be entirely logical for no player to be signed or sold without his agreement though, which doesn't appear to have happened much under either Monk or the last days of Laudrup.

Perhaps he's more of a developer than a spotter. I'm sure he has a list of potential players but we haven't seen much, if any, evidence of it yet.

Worrying if Jenkins is still making unilateral transfer decisions - entirely possible but a bit bonkers given the last couple of years.
The Guidolin Effect (or lack of it!) on 22:39 - Jul 27 with 646 viewsDr_Winston

The Guidolin Effect (or lack of it!) on 22:32 - Jul 27 by WarwickHunt

Perhaps he's more of a developer than a spotter. I'm sure he has a list of potential players but we haven't seen much, if any, evidence of it yet.

Worrying if Jenkins is still making unilateral transfer decisions - entirely possible but a bit bonkers given the last couple of years.

I read up a lot on the Udinese scouting system. Guidolin did a hell of a job polishing diamonds but their setup was well geared toward finding them.

I have very little confidence in the likes of Leadbeater (why is he still here?) or Jenkins to deliver the kind of talent that Guidolin is used to developing on a more than accidental basis.

The Guidolin Effect (or lack of it!) on 23:04 - Jul 27 with 590 viewsdobjack2

The Guidolin Effect (or lack of it!) on 22:39 - Jul 27 by Dr_Winston

I read up a lot on the Udinese scouting system. Guidolin did a hell of a job polishing diamonds but their setup was well geared toward finding them.

I have very little confidence in the likes of Leadbeater (why is he still here?) or Jenkins to deliver the kind of talent that Guidolin is used to developing on a more than accidental basis.

Although he is in name the chairman, as head of recruitment Jenkins is akin to being director of football as well.

Since Laudrup it is clear that managers have far less input into transfers.

Garry was whinging that he didn't want Tabanou or Eder - and pretty much confirmed that by not playing them and it appears that guidolin's input is probably the same.

E.g. I would like a big centre half and a big centre forward good in the air and at hold up play. Ok here is ..,.. Coach them.
The Guidolin Effect (or lack of it!) on 23:10 - Jul 27 with 575 viewsbonymine

Agreed mate.

Brendan was a true gentleman .

Even at Wembley when we got promoted to PL I was standing on the steps as the team came down from the Trophy presentation and after Brendan had passed me I shouted to him and he came back up the stairs to shake my hand.

It certainly made my day and I'm not sure many other managers would have done that ?

STID. Together Stronger 💪💪💪

Poll: Why is this site so quiet these days ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024