Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
EFL Trophy 09:44 - Jul 27 with 7498 viewsMagicDaps

Our academy is in the competition, with the draw for the first round at 10AM today.

Section One - South:

Academies

Chelsea
Reading
Swansea City
West Ham

League 1

AFC Wimbledon
Bristol Rovers
Coventry City
Northampton Town
Oxford United
Swindon Town

League 2

Exeter City
Newport County
Plymouth Argyle
Portsmouth
Wycombe Wanderers
Yeovil Town

Poll: Has Marvin Emnes Earned A Long Term Deal?

EFL Trophy on 14:02 - Jul 27 with 1872 viewsjasper_T

EFL Trophy on 13:58 - Jul 27 by MagicDaps

I think 'first team' will mean players included in the Premier League squads and as under 21's don't have to be named, it basically means six under 21's and five over 21's. Odd.

I can only find it referenced as "'first team'... as defined in the competition's existing rules." which I assume refers to before PL teams introduction, in previous years of competition.

Not having much luck finding those rules themselves yet, but I doubt it's based on PL squad rules. It's generally intended to prevent the League club sides fielding weakened teams.
EFL Trophy on 14:05 - Jul 27 with 1873 viewsairedale

So if you wanted to field 11 under 23s from your academy, then you wouldn't be allowed to?
EFL Trophy on 14:07 - Jul 27 with 1870 viewsjasper_T

Players

In all rounds of the Competition a player shall be a “registered player” of his Club.

For the EFL Clubs, a registered player is one who would be registered and eligible to participate in a match in the League Competition for that EFL Club commencing at the same time and on the same date as the Match in accordance with the provisions of the Regulations.

Each EFL Club shall play its full available strength in and during all Matches. The League will from time to time issue a policy as to what constitutes 'full available strength'. Any Club failing to meet this requirement will be required to pay a fine of up to £5,000.

For the Invited Clubs, a registered player is one who would be registered and eligible to participate in a Premier League and/or Premier League 2 match commencing at the same time and on the same date as the Match in accordance with the provisions of the relevant Premier League rules.

Each Invited Club must ensure that in each Match at least 6 of the starting eleven players named on the Team Sheet are players who were aged under 21 as at the 30th June in the year in which the Season concerned commenced.

The restrictions set out in Regulation 52.4 shall apply (number of loan Players on a Team Sheet) to all Clubs as if set out herein.

Players registered on a temporary basis will be eligible to play unless the loaning Club (or club) expressly indicates it does not consent as part of the applicable loan agreement.

No Player may play for more than one Club in the Competition in any one Season.
Read more at http://www.efl.com/global/trophyrules.aspx#XzbEg1RFKQeoJ7ud.99
EFL Trophy on 14:15 - Jul 27 with 1862 viewsjasper_T

I think we're only considered an Invited club in the context of those rules, so the fines and full-strength requirements won't apply to us.
EFL Trophy on 14:36 - Jul 27 with 1836 viewsmarchamjack

No chance of our academy team beating a genuine first X1 of league 1 and 2 clubs...anyone remember our ressies at Oxford this year...

Good experience for them though, but that's it

Wouldn't want the roles reversed have to say if we were the lower league team, but we're not, so hey watever

Oh,..Dave, what's occuring?

EFL Trophy on 16:42 - Jul 27 with 1753 viewsbathgatejack

EFL Trophy on 13:58 - Jul 27 by MagicDaps

I think 'first team' will mean players included in the Premier League squads and as under 21's don't have to be named, it basically means six under 21's and five over 21's. Odd.

l you what they were very good against Morton last night. 14 jacks cheering them on
EFL Trophy on 17:32 - Jul 27 with 1716 viewswaynekerr55

EFL Trophy on 13:51 - Jul 27 by jasper_T

You're overestimating how good academy sides are. "Small" clubs drawn against one in the latter stages will be jumping for joy. The academies are the underdogs.

Playing against League Two sides in competitive fixtures will be a career highlight for many academy players. A trip to Wembley would be an unbelievable accomplishment and it would be massively insulting to everyone in the competition if they were to then bow out.

This^

Most academy sides will get battered by the senior 'journeymen'. These kids are too pampered and haven't had to work for what they've had thus far.

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

EFL Trophy on 20:11 - Jul 27 with 1659 viewsmorningstar

EFL Trophy on 13:51 - Jul 27 by jasper_T

You're overestimating how good academy sides are. "Small" clubs drawn against one in the latter stages will be jumping for joy. The academies are the underdogs.

Playing against League Two sides in competitive fixtures will be a career highlight for many academy players. A trip to Wembley would be an unbelievable accomplishment and it would be massively insulting to everyone in the competition if they were to then bow out.

On the contrary Jasper. i think you're underestimating how good development sides are in a competitive competition, or at least how good they should be! I would expect us to field a full 11 of under 23's (for example) to beat with ease any side from Lge 1 or 2. If they can'T then the majority of those players should be nowhere near a Premier league club picking up a couple of grand a week in wages. And that's just us, not to mention the likes of Chelsea or Southampton!

Only winner of Planetswans Petulant Diva award.
Poll: Southampton home next. How many points

Login to get fewer ads

EFL Trophy on 20:18 - Jul 27 with 1653 viewswaynekerr55

EFL Trophy on 20:11 - Jul 27 by morningstar

On the contrary Jasper. i think you're underestimating how good development sides are in a competitive competition, or at least how good they should be! I would expect us to field a full 11 of under 23's (for example) to beat with ease any side from Lge 1 or 2. If they can'T then the majority of those players should be nowhere near a Premier league club picking up a couple of grand a week in wages. And that's just us, not to mention the likes of Chelsea or Southampton!

You'd be surprised. They lack experience of men's football

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

EFL Trophy on 20:24 - Jul 27 with 1647 viewsmorningstar

EFL Trophy on 20:18 - Jul 27 by waynekerr55

You'd be surprised. They lack experience of men's football

I hope i am surprised Wayne, because to be honest, i don't think any side outside of the bottom two divisions should be anywhere near this competition.

EFL Trophy on 20:39 - Jul 27 with 1623 viewsCopperJack

Why have so many of the higher profile teams pulled out?

Poll: The 2016 Assembly Elections: Which way will you be voting & why?

EFL Trophy on 20:44 - Jul 27 with 1613 viewsmorningstar

EFL Trophy on 13:27 - Jul 27 by MagicDaps

Never going to happen I'm afraid. Big clubs have entered out of their own interests, and aren't going to turn down a chance for a large number of their youngsters to play at Wembley in a Cup Final.

Don't be so stupid.

EFL Trophy on 20:50 - Jul 27 with 1603 viewsjasper_T

EFL Trophy on 20:11 - Jul 27 by morningstar

Expecting academies to consistently produce teams full of Premier League quality players is incredibly naive.

Realistically any academy is only going to find one or two that eventually make the grade every few years, most of whom still end up dropping down from their original club at some point.

Even the clubs that spend millions on 15/16 year olds struggle. Youth development is a gamble, and if you can't find enough genuine talent you've still got to keep enough guys around to play games and provide a good environment for the prospects you have.

Keston Davies is almost certainly never going to be a PL defender, but if we let him go who's going to play next to Joe Rodon every week?
EFL Trophy on 21:18 - Jul 27 with 1586 viewsmorningstar

EFL Trophy on 20:50 - Jul 27 by jasper_T

Expecting academies to consistently produce teams full of Premier League quality players is incredibly naive.

Realistically any academy is only going to find one or two that eventually make the grade every few years, most of whom still end up dropping down from their original club at some point.

Even the clubs that spend millions on 15/16 year olds struggle. Youth development is a gamble, and if you can't find enough genuine talent you've still got to keep enough guys around to play games and provide a good environment for the prospects you have.

Keston Davies is almost certainly never going to be a PL defender, but if we let him go who's going to play next to Joe Rodon every week?

I certainly didn't say that academies should consistently produce players of Premier League quality Jasper. What i said was that Premier League academy players with an an average age of between 21 to 23 years of age should be beating lge 1 or 2 sides with ease otherwise certain players within that team should not be on the books of a Premier League club earning a couple of thousand pounds a week?

EFL Trophy on 21:33 - Jul 27 with 1575 viewsjasper_T

EFL Trophy on 21:18 - Jul 27 by morningstar

I certainly didn't say that academies should consistently produce players of Premier League quality Jasper. What i said was that Premier League academy players with an an average age of between 21 to 23 years of age should be beating lge 1 or 2 sides with ease otherwise certain players within that team should not be on the books of a Premier League club earning a couple of thousand pounds a week?

Fair enough. But we and most other clubs don't have academy players in that age range, because the age restrictions have only just been upped. The ones that haven't been good enough by 21 aren't earning thousands of pounds, they've been cut loose (e.g. Henry Jones).

I think Fulton and Kingsley qualify, but only the former might be sent to play in those games.
EFL Trophy on 22:32 - Jul 27 with 1494 viewsmorningstar

EFL Trophy on 21:33 - Jul 27 by jasper_T

Fair enough. But we and most other clubs don't have academy players in that age range, because the age restrictions have only just been upped. The ones that haven't been good enough by 21 aren't earning thousands of pounds, they've been cut loose (e.g. Henry Jones).

I think Fulton and Kingsley qualify, but only the former might be sent to play in those games.

Bottom line is Jasp, i honestly don't think we should be entering this competition as a Premier league club, youngsters or not, it's not good for the spirit of the game. But i guess that that horse bolted some time ago unfortunately.

EFL Trophy on 23:16 - Jul 27 with 1465 viewsmitchwales

Looking forward to the Newport away game.. I live and work in the city!
EFL Trophy on 23:27 - Jul 27 with 1448 viewsLoyal

EFL Trophy on 11:02 - Jul 27 by astonian_the_jack

Slight change of format to what we played - we play 3 teams in a group stage once, either home or away

We are guaranteed one fixture at home. Games are 90 mins, if a draw happens, a penalty shoot out will decide the winner

Top two go in the next round which I believe is a knock out

This happened when we won it I think ?
I remember the old man taking us down to Plymouth and it pissed down.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

EFL Trophy on 23:39 - Jul 27 with 1437 viewsmorningstar

EFL Trophy on 23:27 - Jul 27 by Loyal

This happened when we won it I think ?
I remember the old man taking us down to Plymouth and it pissed down.

Last time i went to Plymouth I got charged with violent disorder! Sorry, tell a lie, i had to go back 5 times after that!
[Post edited 27 Jul 2016 23:41]

EFL Trophy on 02:05 - Jul 28 with 1404 viewsAJ101

EFL Trophy on 20:39 - Jul 27 by CopperJack

Why have so many of the higher profile teams pulled out?

I guess there's a variety of issues but the main one will probably be the timing of the games which is during the international break, makes sense from a marketing perspective but as most international age group teams play on those same international breaks it would be a big problem finding a team to play in the competition.

I can't speak for other clubs but we tend to keep our number of academy players relatively lean with plenty of loans of older academy players and while I'm sure we could find 18 players even with international agre group games going on it would be a real mish mash that probably wouldn't do anybody any good as they wouldn't be training together day to day.
EFL Trophy on 04:24 - Jul 28 with 1376 viewsLoyal

EFL Trophy on 23:39 - Jul 27 by morningstar

Last time i went to Plymouth I got charged with violent disorder! Sorry, tell a lie, i had to go back 5 times after that!
[Post edited 27 Jul 2016 23:41]

Don't tell anyone on here but I think you are referring to the down right good spanking we gave them when Wallace was pictured waving his arm in the air. I know it's trivia now, but my god did we have a mob out that day.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

EFL Trophy on 12:32 - Jul 28 with 1322 viewsmorningstar

EFL Trophy on 04:24 - Jul 28 by Loyal

Don't tell anyone on here but I think you are referring to the down right good spanking we gave them when Wallace was pictured waving his arm in the air. I know it's trivia now, but my god did we have a mob out that day.

That's the one.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024