Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
EFL Trophy 09:44 - Jul 27 with 7466 viewsMagicDaps

Our academy is in the competition, with the draw for the first round at 10AM today.

Section One - South:

Academies

Chelsea
Reading
Swansea City
West Ham

League 1

AFC Wimbledon
Bristol Rovers
Coventry City
Northampton Town
Oxford United
Swindon Town

League 2

Exeter City
Newport County
Plymouth Argyle
Portsmouth
Wycombe Wanderers
Yeovil Town

Poll: Has Marvin Emnes Earned A Long Term Deal?

EFL Trophy on 09:46 - Jul 27 with 5629 viewscsf

Would love to get Wycombe in this. Down this end.
EFL Trophy on 10:00 - Jul 27 with 5586 viewsMagicDaps

Looking at the format, this section will be split up in to groups of four with each group having a B team it. Two of our three games will be away from home. Similarly to the Scottish League Cup this season, if we're drawing after 90 minutes there'll be a penalty shoot out for an additional point. The controversial issue, and the reason why quite a few Premier League teams have pulled out is that we have to field five over twenty one year olds in each team. This will give an opportunity to some fringe players though, and would have been ideal for players like Eder last season. I'd imagine this does bring more light to the signing of Mark Birghitti, who'd be ideal to test out in this competition if he's not loaned out.
[Post edited 27 Jul 2016 10:02]

EFL Trophy on 10:05 - Jul 27 with 5563 viewsjasper_T

EFL Trophy on 10:00 - Jul 27 by MagicDaps

Looking at the format, this section will be split up in to groups of four with each group having a B team it. Two of our three games will be away from home. Similarly to the Scottish League Cup this season, if we're drawing after 90 minutes there'll be a penalty shoot out for an additional point. The controversial issue, and the reason why quite a few Premier League teams have pulled out is that we have to field five over twenty one year olds in each team. This will give an opportunity to some fringe players though, and would have been ideal for players like Eder last season. I'd imagine this does bring more light to the signing of Mark Birghitti, who'd be ideal to test out in this competition if he's not loaned out.

The eligibility criteria are pretty strange for all concerned.
EFL Trophy on 10:14 - Jul 27 with 5515 viewshobo

EFL Trophy on 10:00 - Jul 27 by MagicDaps

It's fantastic for us. Would love to see some of our youngsters shine vs these established teams
EFL Trophy on 10:21 - Jul 27 with 5489 viewsMagicDaps

Swansea B
AFC Wimbledon
Newport County
Plymouth Argyle

EFL Trophy on 10:27 - Jul 27 with 5450 viewsastonian_the_jack

Great exposure for the kids with something meaningful to play for

What dates are these games penciled in for roughly?
EFL Trophy on 10:33 - Jul 27 with 5418 viewsMagicDaps

Game 1: 29th August-4th September
Game 2: 3rd October-9th October
Game 3: 7th November-13th November

EFL Trophy on 10:55 - Jul 27 with 5328 viewsCopperJack

Is it home and away? I can't remember, it's been years since we played in this

Poll: The 2016 Assembly Elections: Which way will you be voting & why?

Login to get fewer ads

EFL Trophy on 11:02 - Jul 27 with 5300 viewsastonian_the_jack

EFL Trophy on 10:55 - Jul 27 by CopperJack

Is it home and away? I can't remember, it's been years since we played in this

Slight change of format to what we played - we play 3 teams in a group stage once, either home or away

We are guaranteed one fixture at home. Games are 90 mins, if a draw happens, a penalty shoot out will decide the winner

Top two go in the next round which I believe is a knock out
EFL Trophy on 11:49 - Jul 27 with 5219 viewsairedale

Should be quite a few going to Newport I reckon. Hopefully then, it would be good to get Newport away if we are guaranteed one home game.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/533201/EFL-Trophy-Draw-in-full
[Post edited 27 Jul 2016 11:51]
EFL Trophy on 11:53 - Jul 27 with 5195 viewsAl_Bundy

Away to Wimbledon will be a good test for us.
EFL Trophy on 12:29 - Jul 27 with 5111 viewsdougie

EFL Trophy on 11:53 - Jul 27 by Al_Bundy

Away to Wimbledon will be a good test for us.

I think could be a good exercise for the under 23s. Will the teams in div 1 and 2 risk their first team though ?
EFL Trophy on 12:36 - Jul 27 with 5090 viewslondonlisa2001

EFL Trophy on 12:29 - Jul 27 by dougie

I think could be a good exercise for the under 23s. Will the teams in div 1 and 2 risk their first team though ?

What a shame that a competition that brought many of us so much joy in the past has been relegated to a 'good exercise for the under 23s'.
EFL Trophy on 12:52 - Jul 27 with 5031 viewsJackFish

Don't agree with the U21 sides playing in it, but I haven't been to Wimbledon yet so might have to go along for that one.

Fixtures for anyone interested:

Southern Group B

Match Day 1 — w/c 29th August 2016
AFC Wimbledon v Swansea City
Plymouth Argyle v Newport County

Match Day 2 — w/c 3rd October 2016
Newport County v Swansea City
AFC Wimbledon v Plymouth Argyle

Match Day 3 — w/c 7th November 2016
Newport County v AFC Wimbledon
Swansea City v Plymouth Argyle

I guess the Plymouth game will be at the Liberty?
EFL Trophy on 12:57 - Jul 27 with 5007 viewsjasper_T

EFL Trophy on 12:36 - Jul 27 by londonlisa2001

What a shame that a competition that brought many of us so much joy in the past has been relegated to a 'good exercise for the under 23s'.

A good exercise in humility. The lower league clubs will enjoy themselves.
EFL Trophy on 12:59 - Jul 27 with 4999 viewsEdmundo

EFL Trophy on 12:52 - Jul 27 by JackFish

Don't agree with the U21 sides playing in it, but I haven't been to Wimbledon yet so might have to go along for that one.

Southern Group B

Or take it to Llanelli or Port Talbot......to belp them out a bit👍

Swansea City-Officially the best football team in Wales-FACT

EFL Trophy on 13:02 - Jul 27 with 4987 viewsJackFish

EFL Trophy on 12:59 - Jul 27 by Edmundo

Or take it to Llanelli or Port Talbot......to belp them out a bit👍

I'm sure I read that we have to play our home game at the first team's stadium.
EFL Trophy on 13:02 - Jul 27 with 4986 viewsEdmundo

EFL Trophy on 12:52 - Jul 27 by JackFish

Southern Group B

Newport away may be interesting 😉

Swansea City-Officially the best football team in Wales-FACT

EFL Trophy on 13:22 - Jul 27 with 4926 viewsmorningstar

My only hope is that if any of the bigger teams make it through to the later stages of the knockout rounds they will know when to bow out gracefully and not deny a small club the chance of a big pay day and memorable day out. We should appreciate that more than any other of the top teams.

Only winner of Planetswans Petulant Diva award.
Poll: Southampton home next. How many points

EFL Trophy on 13:27 - Jul 27 with 4905 viewsMagicDaps

EFL Trophy on 13:22 - Jul 27 by morningstar

My only hope is that if any of the bigger teams make it through to the later stages of the knockout rounds they will know when to bow out gracefully and not deny a small club the chance of a big pay day and memorable day out. We should appreciate that more than any other of the top teams.

Never going to happen I'm afraid. Big clubs have entered out of their own interests, and aren't going to turn down a chance for a large number of their youngsters to play at Wembley in a Cup Final.

EFL Trophy on 13:37 - Jul 27 with 4880 viewsairedale

EFL Trophy on 13:27 - Jul 27 by MagicDaps

Never going to happen I'm afraid. Big clubs have entered out of their own interests, and aren't going to turn down a chance for a large number of their youngsters to play at Wembley in a Cup Final.

As long as they don't put ringers in their side, and just keep it to the kids.
EFL Trophy on 13:46 - Jul 27 with 4847 viewsMagicDaps

EFL Trophy on 13:37 - Jul 27 by airedale

As long as they don't put ringers in their side, and just keep it to the kids.

They don't have a choice. Rules state that there's a maximum of six U21 players in the B teams, hence the six withdrawals.

EFL Trophy on 13:51 - Jul 27 with 4834 viewsjasper_T

EFL Trophy on 13:22 - Jul 27 by morningstar

You're overestimating how good academy sides are. "Small" clubs drawn against one in the latter stages will be jumping for joy. The academies are the underdogs.

Playing against League Two sides in competitive fixtures will be a career highlight for many academy players. A trip to Wembley would be an unbelievable accomplishment and it would be massively insulting to everyone in the competition if they were to then bow out.
EFL Trophy on 13:55 - Jul 27 with 4824 viewsjasper_T

EFL Trophy on 13:46 - Jul 27 by MagicDaps

They don't have a choice. Rules state that there's a maximum of six U21 players in the B teams, hence the six withdrawals.

Rules state a minimum of six players must be under 21 on 30/06/16 for invited academy teams.

Minimum of 5 "first team" players the definition of which isn't listed in the wiki.
EFL Trophy on 13:58 - Jul 27 with 4822 viewsMagicDaps

EFL Trophy on 13:55 - Jul 27 by jasper_T

Rules state a minimum of six players must be under 21 on 30/06/16 for invited academy teams.

Minimum of 5 "first team" players the definition of which isn't listed in the wiki.

I think 'first team' will mean players included in the Premier League squads and as under 21's don't have to be named, it basically means six under 21's and five over 21's. Odd.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024