Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Leonardo Ulloa 12:19 - Jul 27 with 8861 viewshughesy2013

Why on earth are the swans going in for that striker....sky sports just confirmed we have made a bid for the striker hardly scores any goals and is 30 years old!..... with this ambition swans are going down this year!
[Post edited 27 Jul 2016 12:21]
Leonardo Ulloa on 16:06 - Jul 27 with 1598 viewsClinton

Ambition is mentioned a couple of times at least on the thread. Anyone disappointed by a lack of ambition is, frankly, condemned to a lifetime of disappointment supporting our club.
To be honest I'd be suspicious if we ever signed a big money marquee player.

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Leonardo Ulloa on 16:08 - Jul 27 with 1588 viewsairedale

Leonardo Ulloa on 16:06 - Jul 27 by Clinton

Ambition is mentioned a couple of times at least on the thread. Anyone disappointed by a lack of ambition is, frankly, condemned to a lifetime of disappointment supporting our club.

But Wilfy was a big signing for a club our size mun.
Leonardo Ulloa on 16:26 - Jul 27 with 1502 viewsFar_Post

Leonardo Ulloa on 16:06 - Jul 27 by Clinton

Realistically we have failed to replace Bony since he left, which is why with the added TV money this year there is hope that we could spend a few quid on a striker or two.

I don't think the transfer window has gone that badly for us so far,

Mike van der Hoorn will replace Kyle Bartley
Leroy Fer will take over permanently now from Jonjo Shelvey
Nathan Dyer coming back in will increase competition out wide

We have held on to most of prize assets Williams/Gylfi/Ayew so far so we just need to get the striker situation sorted out now and we will be good to go.

Blog: The C Word

(No subject) on 16:44 - Jul 27 with 1422 viewsHighjack

(No subject) on 13:47 - Jul 27 by Landore_Jack

Three disastrous signings:

Paloschi
Tabanou
Eder
[Post edited 27 Jul 2016 13:49]

Bit unfair to call paloschi a disaster. Ok he wasn't great but he had a positive influence in the games he played with his work rate etc. The other two have to go down as the most god awful signings in recent times.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Leonardo Ulloa on 16:51 - Jul 27 with 1384 viewsZut_Alors

I liked paloschi. First touch was excellent and good for games when we'd have to play on the counter. Thought he be an excellent backup.
Leonardo Ulloa on 16:54 - Jul 27 with 1359 viewsmagicdaps10

Paloschi would still be here if he was happy. He moved on due to being unable to settle in the area.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Leonardo Ulloa on 16:58 - Jul 27 with 1335 viewslondonlisa2001

Leonardo Ulloa on 13:02 - Jul 27 by Tom1912

Why on earth would you hope we don't sign Bony out of curiosity?

Only because I believe for the money he would cost (fees and weekly pay) that we could find a more mobile frontman who would do better for us in a more flexible formation (a 433) which I suspect we'll play.

Don't get me wrong - I loved him playing for us but we set up differently then.

I am also concerned about paying that sort of money for a player that would lack sell on value when if we buy someone younger (I'm afraid I don't believe the whole 'he's 27' stuff) then we can sell them on after 18months or 2 years at a large profit and reinvest.

Watching him last season for Man City he seems to be more bulky as well and less mobile - that could just be lack of fitness of course.
Leonardo Ulloa on 16:58 - Jul 27 with 1333 viewsHighjack

Leonardo Ulloa on 16:54 - Jul 27 by magicdaps10

Paloschi would still be here if he was happy. He moved on due to being unable to settle in the area.

Where did you get this astonishing finger on the pulse breaking news from?

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Login to get fewer ads

Leonardo Ulloa on 16:59 - Jul 27 with 1329 viewslondonlisa2001

Leonardo Ulloa on 16:54 - Jul 27 by magicdaps10

He didn't give it much of a go.
Leonardo Ulloa on 16:59 - Jul 27 with 1328 viewsAl_Bundy

Leonardo Ulloa on 16:26 - Jul 27 by Far_Post

Realistically we have failed to replace Bony since he left, which is why with the added TV money this year there is hope that we could spend a few quid on a striker or two.

I don't think the transfer window has gone that badly for us so far,

Mike van der Hoorn will replace Kyle Bartley
Leroy Fer will take over permanently now from Jonjo Shelvey
Nathan Dyer coming back in will increase competition out wide

We have held on to most of prize assets Williams/Gylfi/Ayew so far so we just need to get the striker situation sorted out now and we will be good to go.

Fer was always here last season albeit on loan , Dyer didn't fit our formation and Horn is replacing a player that was poor at this level and not even a first teamer.

Can't say that has been a good window so far in my opinion. We need to add better quality to what we have year on year (not OTT) but measured signings.

We have wasted millions on players with no pedigree hoping its another Michu from the bargain basement of Europe.

Time to raise the bar a bit in our transfer dealings
Leonardo Ulloa on 17:01 - Jul 27 with 1318 viewsmagicdaps10

Leonardo Ulloa on 16:59 - Jul 27 by londonlisa2001

He didn't give it much of a go.

Some people are able to give it time and others are different. If he or his family were unhappy from the start then maybe he didn't want to prolong it in hope it might get better.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Leonardo Ulloa on 17:03 - Jul 27 with 1307 viewsoldcob

Lets face it. We are scraping the bottom of the barrel because as usual we've left it too late. All the rosy red apples were on the top and they've been snapped up already.
Leonardo Ulloa on 17:06 - Jul 27 with 1283 viewsnyc_swans

Leonardo Ulloa on 17:03 - Jul 27 by oldcob

Lets face it. We are scraping the bottom of the barrel because as usual we've left it too late. All the rosy red apples were on the top and they've been snapped up already.

i really don't think this is true.

look at the list of targets magicdaps listed.

there are plenty of strikers available. it could be a matter of waiting for clubs to settle for lower prices, which has to happen eventually if they intend to move on their players.
Leonardo Ulloa on 17:13 - Jul 27 with 1253 viewslondonlisa2001

Anyway - not true or not happening anyway even if we did look into this.

He's just said he's happy at Leicester.

Next. We haven't had Rhodes yet this window.
Leonardo Ulloa on 17:27 - Jul 27 with 1176 viewsoldcob

Leonardo Ulloa on 17:06 - Jul 27 by nyc_swans

there are plenty of strikers available. it could be a matter of waiting for clubs to settle for lower prices, which has to happen eventually if they intend to move on their players.

Hope you're right, but fear you may not be. I think we're looking for something for nothing.
Leonardo Ulloa on 17:32 - Jul 27 with 1151 viewsraynor94

Leonardo Ulloa on 17:03 - Jul 27 by oldcob

So who were these rosy red ones you talk about? the window is open till 31st August mind

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Leonardo Ulloa on 17:34 - Jul 27 with 1140 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Leonardo Ulloa on 16:58 - Jul 27 by londonlisa2001

Only because I believe for the money he would cost (fees and weekly pay) that we could find a more mobile frontman who would do better for us in a more flexible formation (a 433) which I suspect we'll play.

Don't get me wrong - I loved him playing for us but we set up differently then.

I am also concerned about paying that sort of money for a player that would lack sell on value when if we buy someone younger (I'm afraid I don't believe the whole 'he's 27' stuff) then we can sell them on after 18months or 2 years at a large profit and reinvest.

Watching him last season for Man City he seems to be more bulky as well and less mobile - that could just be lack of fitness of course.

Not that I disagree with any of your concerns about Bony...but it just seems to me that IF we were to bring in any kind of costly, big name striker (15M or more), then Bony is our best alternative. I'm inferring this due to the facts that 1) we really don't know how much the new owners have available to spend, 2) Man City still owes us most of what they bought him for 18 months ago.

I don't think his wages would be too much of a problem after you deduct 60% of Gomis' wages and all of Paloschi's wages from our 15/16 ledger.

In any case, I really want to believe that we backed off HJ's stated plans to pursue Joe Allen because we are committing the vast majority of available funds on one or possible two strikers: a Bony or someone comparable, and a less expensive backup.

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

Leonardo Ulloa on 17:37 - Jul 27 with 1119 viewslonglostjack

Leonardo Ulloa on 16:08 - Jul 27 by airedale

But Wilfy was a big signing for a club our size mun.

Didn't Huw make comments after signing him that that was an exception and we shouldn't get used to that type of signing. I don't recall his exact words but at the time I remember thinking it would add to the pressure on Bony.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Leonardo Ulloa on 17:39 - Jul 27 with 1101 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

We are struggling to get someone decent in

Not looking good

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Leonardo Ulloa on 17:46 - Jul 27 with 1061 viewsGeoffThom

Anything under 15 mil is now officially poor fare ,thought after all these years and training grounds built and payed for we'd invest in the team massively ,but there you go its Swansea after all
Leonardo Ulloa on 17:48 - Jul 27 with 1051 viewsdobjack2

Leonardo Ulloa on 17:06 - Jul 27 by nyc_swans

I don't think magic daps is in charge of recruitment.

The euros haven't helped but the delays over the share sale appear to have paralysed serious recruitment.

Whoever joins won't have much of a pre/season with us and it is vital we start well as we have 2 newly promoted teams. Leaving things to the last minute for a good price is ok if you are looking to build on a strong squad. If it doesn't happen you aren't in the cr@p. Our striker situation is getting critical.

It isn't time to hit the panic button yet but

it is almost August:
we have 2 senior strikers at the club:
one is in France, we are trying to get him out on loan and he appears to be in no rush to go.
If he doesn't go - no pre-season so miles behind.
the other doesn't see himself as a striker and is a reported target for his boyhood favourites and 2 moneybags clubs.

That's without taking into account any speculation regarding gylfi.
Leonardo Ulloa on 17:48 - Jul 27 with 1048 viewslondonlisa2001

Leonardo Ulloa on 17:34 - Jul 27 by Tummer_from_Texas

Not that I disagree with any of your concerns about Bony...but it just seems to me that IF we were to bring in any kind of costly, big name striker (15M or more), then Bony is our best alternative. I'm inferring this due to the facts that 1) we really don't know how much the new owners have available to spend, 2) Man City still owes us most of what they bought him for 18 months ago.

I don't think his wages would be too much of a problem after you deduct 60% of Gomis' wages and all of Paloschi's wages from our 15/16 ledger.

In any case, I really want to believe that we backed off HJ's stated plans to pursue Joe Allen because we are committing the vast majority of available funds on one or possible two strikers: a Bony or someone comparable, and a less expensive backup.

I certainly agree that we need to bring in a top striker and also a backup.

But on the financials - Man City owe us £8m which was either paid this month or next January - can't remember which.

But that's just a cash flow thing. If we waive £8m and pay another £7m (just for example) we've still paid £15m. Net cash outflow of £7m. So the same as us paying another club £15m and then receiving the £8m from Man City. Cost of new player - £15m, net cash outflow £7m.

Even in cash flow terms it probably doesn't matter as the payment will be staged and we may not pay the 'next instalment' until after next January anyway.

And on his weekly cost - I'm not saying we shouldn't pay £100k a week necessarily (although it's too high for us) - just that we shouldn't pay that for him.

Once a player goes to a club like Man City it's almost always impossible to get them back because of their wages (unless they're willing to take a cut which they hardly ever are).

One of the beauties of the Joe Allen deal is he was not on huge money at Liverpool (about £45k or so apparently) so he wouldn't have been out of kilter with our other top earners even though he was coming from a 'big club'.
Leonardo Ulloa on 18:07 - Jul 27 with 944 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Leonardo Ulloa on 17:48 - Jul 27 by londonlisa2001

I certainly agree that we need to bring in a top striker and also a backup.

But on the financials - Man City owe us £8m which was either paid this month or next January - can't remember which.

But that's just a cash flow thing. If we waive £8m and pay another £7m (just for example) we've still paid £15m. Net cash outflow of £7m. So the same as us paying another club £15m and then receiving the £8m from Man City. Cost of new player - £15m, net cash outflow £7m.

Even in cash flow terms it probably doesn't matter as the payment will be staged and we may not pay the 'next instalment' until after next January anyway.

And on his weekly cost - I'm not saying we shouldn't pay £100k a week necessarily (although it's too high for us) - just that we shouldn't pay that for him.

Once a player goes to a club like Man City it's almost always impossible to get them back because of their wages (unless they're willing to take a cut which they hardly ever are).

One of the beauties of the Joe Allen deal is he was not on huge money at Liverpool (about £45k or so apparently) so he wouldn't have been out of kilter with our other top earners even though he was coming from a 'big club'.

"One of the beauties of the Joe Allen deal is he was not on huge money at Liverpool (about £45k or so apparently) so he wouldn't have been out of kilter with our other top earners even though he was coming from a 'big club'. "

Except of course he doesn't score goals, if you want a "proven" Prem goal scorer you are going to have to pay "proven" Prem goal scorer wages.
Or you have to take a punt on someone coming here and stepping up as Michu & Bony did.
Leonardo Ulloa on 18:22 - Jul 27 with 854 viewslondonlisa2001

Leonardo Ulloa on 18:07 - Jul 27 by A_Fans_Dad

"One of the beauties of the Joe Allen deal is he was not on huge money at Liverpool (about £45k or so apparently) so he wouldn't have been out of kilter with our other top earners even though he was coming from a 'big club'. "

Except of course he doesn't score goals, if you want a "proven" Prem goal scorer you are going to have to pay "proven" Prem goal scorer wages.
Or you have to take a punt on someone coming here and stepping up as Michu & Bony did.

I was using him as an exception to the rule I'd just stated of it being hard to get players back from big clubs once they've left us due to the disparity in wages.

As an aside one of our highest earners is Williams and he certainly doesn't score goals!

I personally wouldn't buy a goal scorer from the PL because of the wages point you make - I'd rather see us take a bit of a punt on someone from the Spanish or Italian or Dutch leagues (I may avoid France for a bit until I recover from Gomis...)
Leonardo Ulloa on 18:26 - Jul 27 with 829 viewsLandore_Jack

There is a God.

Leicester star plays down summer move to Premier League rivals

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/693985/Leonardo-Ulloa-Leicester-Swansea-
[Post edited 27 Jul 2016 18:28]

#backtojack

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024