Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Old Guard 04:20 - Aug 24 with 2285 viewsAussieSwan

As others have alluded to on here, the fact we have many of “the Old Guard”, made up of the likes of Rangel, Taylor, Britton, Dyer and Routledge, all well entrenched in our first XI / match day squad suggests that we haven’t really pushed on, in what is our sixth season in the Premier League.

All are great club servants, all are great team players, and all are good depth options to have around the club, but given that all have recently been offered contract extensions suggest that we aren’t willing to upgrade on them either.

I'm not at all suggesting that we should unceremoniously banish them, and I think our club goes about treating club veterans with great respect and in a very professional manner.

However, I also feel we are lacking in intent, of pushing on and really going about cementing our top flight status with quality players to reflect this standard. It’s slightly concerning with the new TV money going around and the leftover funds from the recent sales of Shelvey, Paloschi, Eder, Williams and Ayew

Is it just me or does this indicate that certain figures within the club view some of the older players as having a bit of an “untouchable” status? It does seem that we are very reluctant to move on or replace some of them.

Thoughts?
[Post edited 24 Aug 2016 4:21]

Poll: If we're going to sign another defender...

The Old Guard on 06:42 - Aug 24 with 2195 viewsbuilthjack

Dads army

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

The Old Guard on 07:07 - Aug 24 with 2159 viewsawayjack

It's always good to have a couple of 'old guard' that communicate club values / set example to new players. You hear so much about disruptive players damaging squads at other clubs, maybe there's a balance with how many old guard we keep to the number of new players we sign / develop. Arguably too many old not enough new this year.
The Old Guard on 07:12 - Aug 24 with 2155 viewsAussieSwan

The Old Guard on 07:07 - Aug 24 by awayjack

It's always good to have a couple of 'old guard' that communicate club values / set example to new players. You hear so much about disruptive players damaging squads at other clubs, maybe there's a balance with how many old guard we keep to the number of new players we sign / develop. Arguably too many old not enough new this year.

Good point that you make. I wasn't saying we remove them from the club altogether as they do have a lot to offer, especially (as you quite rightly pointed out) for the club values and setting an example, and they are very important for creating a good dressing room culture.

The point I was getting at was regarding them all being in and around the first team.

The Old Guard on 07:29 - Aug 24 with 2103 viewsAngelRangelQS

Well we've tried replacing all of them at some stage but the players we signed have mainly been failures so they're still around our first 11.

All good squad players mind you
The Old Guard on 07:32 - Aug 24 with 2095 viewstylagarwjack

The Old Guard on 07:29 - Aug 24 by AngelRangelQS

Well we've tried replacing all of them at some stage but the players we signed have mainly been failures so they're still around our first 11.

All good squad players mind you

The fact that Ayew came and went means we have only upgraded the starting XI really upfront from two years ago and actually Bony going means we haven't even done that. We are currently weaker at centre back than we were at that point. That says it all.
[Post edited 24 Aug 2016 7:34]
The Old Guard on 08:14 - Aug 24 with 2013 viewsmonmouth

The Old Guard on 06:42 - Aug 24 by builthjack

Dads army

And yet people whine about selling Williams. Almost like people are looking to moan about something. How unusual.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

The Old Guard on 08:29 - Aug 24 with 1982 viewsLoyal

This reminds me of Triggers broom.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

The Old Guard on 12:29 - Aug 24 with 1802 viewsJokeren1943

They bring experience and stability into the Swansea squad.

With those players Swansea has keeped at midtable position, far better then the club's economical power would indicate.

And they are extremly cheap (compared to other PL players).

The tricky thing, in what rate do you change these core players with new core players without fuucking up the experience and the stability?
[Post edited 24 Aug 2016 12:31]
Login to get fewer ads

The Old Guard on 13:27 - Aug 24 with 1722 viewsjasper_T

The Old Guard on 12:29 - Aug 24 by Jokeren1943

With those players Swansea has keeped at midtable position, far better then the club's economical power would indicate.

The tricky thing, in what rate do you change these core players with new core players without fuucking up the experience and the stability?

The old guard have all signed their share of new contracts since promotion. They're on proper PL wages.
The Old Guard on 14:07 - Aug 24 with 1676 viewsTom1912

They're not extremely cheap. They're all on big PL wages.

Agree with alot of your other points though.
The Old Guard on 15:47 - Aug 24 with 1609 viewsJokeren1943

Combined Wages - between the PL clubs
http://www.totalsportek.com/money/english-premier-league-wage-bills-club-by-club

What each Swansea player earn pr. week
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/511740/Revealed-How-much-each-Swansea-

[Post edited 24 Aug 2016 15:49]
The Old Guard on 15:52 - Aug 24 with 1595 viewsjasper_T

The Old Guard on 15:47 - Aug 24 by Jokeren1943

Combined Wages - between the PL clubs
http://www.totalsportek.com/money/english-premier-league-wage-bills-club-by-club

What each Swansea player earn pr. week
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/511740/Revealed-How-much-each-Swansea-

[Post edited 24 Aug 2016 15:49]

The numbers in the second link are taken from a videogame. Sports Interactive don't have access to any payslips.
The Old Guard on 15:57 - Aug 24 with 1583 viewsJokeren1943

The Old Guard on 15:52 - Aug 24 by jasper_T

The numbers in the second link are taken from a videogame. Sports Interactive don't have access to any payslips.

Bad journalism then.

What was the reason why Swansea combined salary fell in season 2014-2015?
The Old Guard on 16:53 - Aug 24 with 1539 viewsA_Fans_Dad

The Old Guard on 15:57 - Aug 24 by Jokeren1943

Bad journalism then.

What was the reason why Swansea combined salary fell in season 2014-2015?

I do not know where they got their wage figures from, but I don't think they match our published accounts, which showed about £72M plus other associated costs for 2014/2015.
The Old Guard on 15:55 - Dec 16 with 1190 viewsAussieSwan

Nearly four months on and my point still stands. Some of them still seem to be "untouchable"

Wonder if anyone's views on this have changed?

The Old Guard on 16:02 - Dec 16 with 1166 viewsjack247

The Old Guard on 15:55 - Dec 16 by AussieSwan

Nearly four months on and my point still stands. Some of them still seem to be "untouchable"

Did anyone dispute it in the first place? It has been generally agreed on here that we needed to look to replace Leon, Rangel and Routs for about 2 years. Taylor as well for different reasons. Ash came into the same category
The Old Guard on 16:17 - Dec 16 with 1120 viewsmax936

The Old Guard on 16:53 - Aug 24 by A_Fans_Dad

I do not know where they got their wage figures from, but I don't think they match our published accounts, which showed about £72M plus other associated costs for 2014/2015.

How much of that 72 mill was miscellaneous I wonder,

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

The Old Guard on 16:33 - Dec 16 with 1094 viewsLeonWasGod

The Old Guard on 15:55 - Dec 16 by AussieSwan

To some extents it's right that they're still getting game time, it's largely on merit. See our last home game, for example, where Leon and Rangel had great games.

It shows a number of things imo:
1. These players are/were a lot better than many have given them credit
2. We did something right in developing these players over a number of years; instilling a calmness on the ball that a lot of players in other clubs don't have
3. Our recruitment has been bl00dy awful - as you say we should have been able to upgrade, but we've consistently failed to

Less about being untouchable and more about signing nobody better (Tabanou, Naughton, Tiendalli, Lamah, Grimes, Carroll, none of our CB signings are better than Ash). On the rare occasions we have signed better (e.g. Ayew for RW instead of Dyer) we haven't then replaced when those have been sold on.
The Old Guard on 16:33 - Dec 16 with 1094 viewslondonlisa2001

The Old Guard on 16:53 - Aug 24 by A_Fans_Dad

The figures in the last accounts was distorted as it showed 14 months of salaries rather than 12 because of the change in year end.

Allowed everyone to say how high our salaries were as a percentage of income despite this distortion (as we don't receive income for the 'additional' two months of June and July as it's off season) - none of the journos appeared to be able to do basic maths.
The Old Guard on 18:44 - Dec 16 with 976 viewsAussieSwan

The Old Guard on 16:33 - Dec 16 by LeonWasGod

To some extents it's right that they're still getting game time, it's largely on merit. See our last home game, for example, where Leon and Rangel had great games.

It shows a number of things imo:
1. These players are/were a lot better than many have given them credit
2. We did something right in developing these players over a number of years; instilling a calmness on the ball that a lot of players in other clubs don't have
3. Our recruitment has been bl00dy awful - as you say we should have been able to upgrade, but we've consistently failed to

Less about being untouchable and more about signing nobody better (Tabanou, Naughton, Tiendalli, Lamah, Grimes, Carroll, none of our CB signings are better than Ash). On the rare occasions we have signed better (e.g. Ayew for RW instead of Dyer) we haven't then replaced when those have been sold on.

Think you've nailed it there.

The Old Guard on 23:56 - Dec 16 with 840 viewsBanosPerth

That's where good management is required ... which would explain our predicament.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024