Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
They Don't Want To Come Back. 13:55 - Aug 24 with 4179 viewsWaltersRedBoots

Allen to Stoke. Bony to WH ? Obvious that neither fancied a return while they knew they were much loved by the majority of fans. Why ? Wages ? Small town club ? Agents ? Our lack of ambition ? Other clubs better on the pull than us ? Those two this window and IMHO we'd be comfortably mid table.
They Don't Want To Come Back. on 13:57 - Aug 24 with 2780 viewsswanstillidai

They Don't Want To Come Back. on 14:15 - Aug 24 with 2697 viewsbazzool

F**k um if they didnt want to come back
They Don't Want To Come Back. on 14:24 - Aug 24 with 2666 viewsFatherJack

Allen had his first start for Stoke at the weekend. They lost 4-1.

And we are comfortably mid table

Poll: Who will be our first choice centre back pairing by the end of the season?

They Don't Want To Come Back. on 14:41 - Aug 24 with 2611 viewsicecoldjack

I think its more about the package involved in getting them TBH. The outlay on Joe we obviously wern't prepared to cough up, Bony would carry no re sale value and extremely high wages.

Time will tell if we missed out, IMO not going for Joe Allen was a mistake as i feel he would have been perfect continuity in the Swansea way and method, he would fit seemlessly into our club and be a stable long term investment, it was the safest big money move the club could possibly make. The timing of his move perhaps didnt quite suit us though i've no idea why we couldn't have off loaded Ki to make the move viable for us.

I did think that FG would perhaps want to be more fluid with his striker choice but we ended up with Llorente who is similar to Wilf in terms of pace and movement, so it must have been the re sale and overall wage packet.

Of course Bony may have decided that Swansea is in the past, thats a perfectly reasonable assumption.
Joe by all accounts wanted to come back here so i guess if the club really wanted him they could have got him.

I hope the club haven't thought cheap but i suspect the financial side of things was the main reason they arn't here.
We must trust the club in such matters, but for me both were virtually zero risk deals ,something that is hard to come by in the premier league. Bony gets goals, Joe puts his foot in and increases tempo, couldn't have gone wrong IMO.
They Don't Want To Come Back. on 14:48 - Aug 24 with 2582 viewsAustinIsOurHero

It's common knowledge that Allen would have jumped at the chance to come back. We never made a move.

Poll: How many points will be get from the next two games?

They Don't Want To Come Back. on 14:56 - Aug 24 with 2544 viewsicecoldjack

They Don't Want To Come Back. on 14:48 - Aug 24 by AustinIsOurHero

It's common knowledge that Allen would have jumped at the chance to come back. We never made a move.

Which if true is quite a shame. As good a zero risk signing as you can get in the modern game.
They Don't Want To Come Back. on 15:01 - Aug 24 with 2528 viewsClinton

He could have become Our leader on the pitch. A successor to the Influential presence Leon, Tatey, And Ash had over the years. I feel we will miss that over the season. (Accepting that Leon will not justify a lot of game time this season)

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

They Don't Want To Come Back. on 15:20 - Aug 24 with 2457 viewspencoedjack

Which for 13 million I am glad we didn't

& I am a fan of Joeys
Login to get fewer ads

They Don't Want To Come Back. on 15:21 - Aug 24 with 2455 viewsA_Fans_Dad

If it was such common knowledge, someone should have told Joe Allen.
He signed for Stoke 1 Month ago tomorrow, the transfer window is still open.
So he obviously wasn't prepared to wait to "come home" as some suggest he was desperate to do.
Just like practically all footballers, he went where the money was.
They Don't Want To Come Back. on 15:24 - Aug 24 with 2451 viewsAustinIsOurHero

They Don't Want To Come Back. on 15:20 - Aug 24 by pencoedjack

Which for 13 million I am glad we didn't

& I am a fan of Joeys

For the qualities and benefits we would have inherited - future team & club captain - 10 years of top level service etc, £13m was a low risk.
That's what teams like us have to pay these days for quality players. We have to accept that, or we will suffer.

They Don't Want To Come Back. on 15:26 - Aug 24 with 2436 viewsGriffting

The truth is we were never in for one and didn't really have much interest in the other when his price went above 10 million.
They Don't Want To Come Back. on 15:28 - Aug 24 with 2431 viewspencoedjack

They Don't Want To Come Back. on 15:24 - Aug 24 by AustinIsOurHero

For the qualities and benefits we would have inherited - future team & club captain - 10 years of top level service etc, £13m was a low risk.
That's what teams like us have to pay these days for quality players. We have to accept that, or we will suffer.

We will agree to differ .....

Average midfielder .... his value went up by 5 million due to 3 good games at the euros.

For the record I wouldn't have brought Bony back for the money he was being touted for either.

As fans we need to get over ex players who have gone backwards since leaving us.
They Don't Want To Come Back. on 15:28 - Aug 24 with 2431 viewsmax936

They Don't Want To Come Back. on 15:24 - Aug 24 by AustinIsOurHero

This in bundles.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

They Don't Want To Come Back. on 15:29 - Aug 24 with 2427 viewsjack247

Didn't we bid something like £8m for Allen before the Euros? I'm pretty sure that had we matched Stokes offer and were close to them on wages, he would have come back.

Bony is never going to come here while we have Llorente and Baston. Nor are we going to try to sign him.
They Don't Want To Come Back. on 15:47 - Aug 24 with 2368 viewsAussieSwan

They Don't Want To Come Back. on 15:29 - Aug 24 by jack247

Didn't we bid something like £8m for Allen before the Euros? I'm pretty sure that had we matched Stokes offer and were close to them on wages, he would have come back.

Bony is never going to come here while we have Llorente and Baston. Nor are we going to try to sign him.

Yep £8m before the Euros when apparently they were asking £10m. Why we didn't wrap it up there and then I will never know...

Poll: If we're going to sign another defender...

They Don't Want To Come Back. on 15:52 - Aug 24 with 2350 viewsWaltersRedBoots

They Don't Want To Come Back. on 14:41 - Aug 24 by icecoldjack

I think its more about the package involved in getting them TBH. The outlay on Joe we obviously wern't prepared to cough up, Bony would carry no re sale value and extremely high wages.

Time will tell if we missed out, IMO not going for Joe Allen was a mistake as i feel he would have been perfect continuity in the Swansea way and method, he would fit seemlessly into our club and be a stable long term investment, it was the safest big money move the club could possibly make. The timing of his move perhaps didnt quite suit us though i've no idea why we couldn't have off loaded Ki to make the move viable for us.

I did think that FG would perhaps want to be more fluid with his striker choice but we ended up with Llorente who is similar to Wilf in terms of pace and movement, so it must have been the re sale and overall wage packet.

Of course Bony may have decided that Swansea is in the past, thats a perfectly reasonable assumption.
Joe by all accounts wanted to come back here so i guess if the club really wanted him they could have got him.

I hope the club haven't thought cheap but i suspect the financial side of things was the main reason they arn't here.
We must trust the club in such matters, but for me both were virtually zero risk deals ,something that is hard to come by in the premier league. Bony gets goals, Joe puts his foot in and increases tempo, couldn't have gone wrong IMO.

Agree totally. In this mad transfer environment, those two would have been extremely low risk, good value.
They Don't Want To Come Back. on 15:58 - Aug 24 with 2324 viewsAustinIsOurHero

They Don't Want To Come Back. on 15:21 - Aug 24 by A_Fans_Dad

If it was such common knowledge, someone should have told Joe Allen.
He signed for Stoke 1 Month ago tomorrow, the transfer window is still open.
So he obviously wasn't prepared to wait to "come home" as some suggest he was desperate to do.
Just like practically all footballers, he went where the money was.

What was he meant to do? Sit in our car park like Peter Odemwingie & hope we make an offer?
For some reason, our board decided not to pursue the transfer, despite the (blindingly) obvious need to add to our midfield and Joe's desire to make the move happen.

They Don't Want To Come Back. on 16:06 - Aug 24 with 2313 viewsicecoldjack

They Don't Want To Come Back. on 15:28 - Aug 24 by pencoedjack

We will agree to differ .....

Average midfielder .... his value went up by 5 million due to 3 good games at the euros.

For the record I wouldn't have brought Bony back for the money he was being touted for either.

As fans we need to get over ex players who have gone backwards since leaving us.

People keep trotting out the line "we gotta get over ex players who have gone backwards " like it actually means something.

Leon went backwards at Sheff utd, went forwards when re joining us.
Siggy went backwards at Spurs ,went forwards when rejoining us.

Sometimes its safer and easier for the club and player to come back, minimal risk,set way of playing,know the area, know what to expect. It's an easy move for all concerned.

With Joe Allen, it s not like the boy wouldn't fit in! ditto Bony, it was zero risk in a crazy market, even at £13m quid it s a no brainer for me purely because all concerned know the move will work well.

The Swans have a set way of playing the game,with a few tweaks here and there, most teams don't operate this way , new manager totally different way of playing, in fact our whole ethos is set up for these types of moves to be the easiest and most benificial for SCFC and the player.

Get a big move away, learn some new things, if it fails set to default back in the calm waters of Swansea.
I'm not saying it works for everyone, but for a club struggling to compete financially it s one of the safest ways to do business IMO.
They Don't Want To Come Back. on 16:08 - Aug 24 with 2300 viewsmajorraglan

Was told that Stoke and Swansea were prepared to meet Liverpools asking price, but Stoke were prepared to pay 20k per week more than Swansea were. Who knows for sure, but what's done is done and we need to move forward.
They Don't Want To Come Back. on 16:10 - Aug 24 with 2293 viewsDafyddHuw

"It's common knowledge..........."

Is it? Not saying you're wrong but where do you get this from?
They Don't Want To Come Back. on 16:24 - Aug 24 with 2249 viewsAustinIsOurHero

They Don't Want To Come Back. on 16:10 - Aug 24 by DafyddHuw

"It's common knowledge..........."

Is it? Not saying you're wrong but where do you get this from?

A friend of mine who works for BBC sport told me as much, as well have people I work with, who are friends with Joe's wife & her family

They Don't Want To Come Back. on 16:35 - Aug 24 with 2211 viewsA_Fans_Dad

They Don't Want To Come Back. on 15:58 - Aug 24 by AustinIsOurHero

What was he meant to do? Sit in our car park like Peter Odemwingie & hope we make an offer?
For some reason, our board decided not to pursue the transfer, despite the (blindingly) obvious need to add to our midfield and Joe's desire to make the move happen.

No he wouldn't sit in the car park, he would go and talk to Huw & Guidolin if it meant so much to him.
Instead he sods off to Stoke without a backward glance for more money.
Nostalgia is a lovely thing but has no place in the land of Football mercenary millionaires.
Ask Ash.
They Don't Want To Come Back. on 17:26 - Aug 24 with 2099 viewsJoe_bradshaw

I was told that we offered Joe £55K. Stoke offered him £75K.

We were never in the running at his required wages.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

They Don't Want To Come Back. on 17:37 - Aug 24 with 2065 viewsmonmouth

They Don't Want To Come Back. on 17:26 - Aug 24 by Joe_bradshaw

I was told that we offered Joe £55K. Stoke offered him £75K.

We were never in the running at his required wages.

Yep, that was the story I heard too. It wasn't the fee it was the wages and the impact on our entire wage structure. Ditto Bony although the figure was nearer 100k.

I also heard that as soon as he heard Stoke's offer 'local Joe' couldn't get his arse up there quick enough.

That's not a criticism - although how much money do you need - and is only hearsay, but these people need to not be seen as cuddly heroes that really care a shit for swansea city when the money's on the table. Too quick and easy to blame the club sometimes.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

They Don't Want To Come Back. on 17:45 - Aug 24 with 2036 viewsDafyddHuw

They Don't Want To Come Back. on 16:24 - Aug 24 by AustinIsOurHero

A friend of mine who works for BBC sport told me as much, as well have people I work with, who are friends with Joe's wife & her family

Well he didn't "jump at the chance" did he? Couldn't get by on £55K a week apparently.

I'm not blaming him, just that he didn't "jump at the chance" like you said was common knowledge to someone at the BBC and friends of friends of Joe's family.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024