Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A rather chilling drugs war ... 03:39 - Aug 26 with 2748 viewsDJack

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-37172002

Your thoughts/perceptions.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

A rather chilling drugs war ... on 04:51 - Aug 26 with 1612 viewsTummer_from_Texas

It creates a very slippery slope to allow a government the power to put hits out on criminals, but the threat of mere jail time is completely useless as a deterrent in the lucrative drug world.

If they were placing these hits on weed dealers, that would just be tyrannical and brutal. But hard drugs like meth kill a lot more people than the number they are murdering, so it's easy to argue that they are saving lives, in the long run.

So in principal, it sounds good. But in this case in the Philippines, Duterte is doing it the wrong way:

Five police generals, he says, are kingpins of the business. But it is those at the lowest levels of the trade who are targeted by the death squads.
[Post edited 26 Aug 2016 5:45]

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

A rather chilling drugs war ... on 06:19 - Aug 26 with 1574 viewsjack247

Zero tolerance
A rather chilling drugs war ... on 09:46 - Aug 26 with 1488 viewscontroversial_jack

A rather chilling drugs war ... on 06:19 - Aug 26 by jack247

Zero tolerance

Drug dealers are not like burglars or car thieves. where you take them off the street and crime drops. Do that to drug dealers and another will take their place the next day and they will put the price up
A rather chilling drugs war ... on 09:51 - Aug 26 with 1478 viewsperchrockjack

If we were to make all drugs legal then professional criminals would simply diversify into another branch base humanity to earn a living.

What legalising would do is to send a message to kids thst taking drugs is acceptable.

They are subject to legislation for a reason.

The only way, and it's utopia I know, is to have a culture where taking cannabis ,for example, isn't seen as necessary to enjoy life and the fact that you can have a buzz out of life without cocaine.

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

A rather chilling drugs war ... on 09:55 - Aug 26 with 1480 viewsdickythorpe

Surely it wont take long for the drug lords/dealer to arm themselves and retaliate especially with the "inside info" they'll no doubt get from corrrupt Police.

What a mess!
A rather chilling drugs war ... on 10:01 - Aug 26 with 1474 viewsperchrockjack

Which is my point.

WE have to change the culture.

With no market there s no profit

A rather chilling drugs war ... on 10:09 - Aug 26 with 1472 viewscontroversial_jack

A rather chilling drugs war ... on 09:51 - Aug 26 by perchrockjack

If we were to make all drugs legal then professional criminals would simply diversify into another branch base humanity to earn a living.

What legalising would do is to send a message to kids thst taking drugs is acceptable.

They are subject to legislation for a reason.

The only way, and it's utopia I know, is to have a culture where taking cannabis ,for example, isn't seen as necessary to enjoy life and the fact that you can have a buzz out of life without cocaine.

Making it legal would put the dealers out of business overnight, and taking recreational drugs is acceptable - it's always been done and always will. Alcohol, tobacco etc.

Make it illegal for under 18s though. Heroin and opium were legal at one time, addicts could get their fix from their doctors and just get on with their lives without having to steal and commit crime in order to buy contaminated substances from street dealers.
A rather chilling drugs war ... on 10:17 - Aug 26 with 1465 viewsperchrockjack

No it wouldn't. You very trenchant in your views ,like me really.

Answer me this. Imagine a high street with outlets to buy coke heroine and cannabis with kids floating around after school.

Close your eyes for a second and ask yourself if you want drug buyers all over your vicinity shooting up where they like. Are we suppose to fund this in our taxes.

Trust me, the top dealers will diversify and would obtain drugs only to distribute them to those unable to collect.

You do not have the answer, neither do I.

Login to get fewer ads

A rather chilling drugs war ... on 10:23 - Aug 26 with 1463 viewscontroversial_jack

A rather chilling drugs war ... on 10:17 - Aug 26 by perchrockjack

Answer me this. Imagine a high street with outlets to buy coke heroine and cannabis with kids floating around after school.

Close your eyes for a second and ask yourself if you want drug buyers all over your vicinity shooting up where they like. Are we suppose to fund this in our taxes.

Trust me, the top dealers will diversify and would obtain drugs only to distribute them to those unable to collect.

I said, make it illegal for under 18s. Make anything illegal and the price goes up and the quality goes down.The problem with buying from street dealers is they cut it will all kinds of crap, and it is the impurities that kill not the drugs themselves. Look at any heroin user and their veins are messed up, that's from the impurities not the drug itself

The dealers would not be able to diversify, what would they sell instead?
A rather chilling drugs war ... on 10:35 - Aug 26 with 1449 viewsperchrockjack

You ll have to forgive me when I tell you I spent many years dealing with drug dealers and their product.

Career criminals are amongst the most resourceful you ll find. They prey on misery on the altar of greed.

A rather chilling drugs war ... on 10:39 - Aug 26 with 1451 viewscontroversial_jack

A rather chilling drugs war ... on 10:35 - Aug 26 by perchrockjack

You ll have to forgive me when I tell you I spent many years dealing with drug dealers and their product.

Career criminals are amongst the most resourceful you ll find. They prey on misery on the altar of greed.

That's the point though, they wouldn't have any market
A rather chilling drugs war ... on 10:45 - Aug 26 with 1440 viewsperchrockjack

Well,if they were free and available to over 18 s only then that would make the lucrative mid teens very attractive business prospect,in fact it would be a worse scenario.

Somehow, we need to change our whole culture.

It won't happen.

Anyway, thanks for the exchange. I'm off

A rather chilling drugs war ... on 11:15 - Aug 26 with 1429 viewsjack247

A rather chilling drugs war ... on 09:46 - Aug 26 by controversial_jack

Drug dealers are not like burglars or car thieves. where you take them off the street and crime drops. Do that to drug dealers and another will take their place the next day and they will put the price up

Yes. If you are arresting them. If they are being openly murdered by the state, it's likely to be a bit more of a deterrent.

I'm sure lots will be desperate enough to take the risk though
A rather chilling drugs war ... on 11:21 - Aug 26 with 1425 viewsMillJack

"high street with outlets to buy coke heroine and cannabis with kids floating around after school"

"drug buyers all over your vicinity shooting up where they like"

F@ck. My. Eyes.

It's sensationalist b0llocks like the above that makes it impossible to have a sensible conversation about the drugs laws in this country.
A rather chilling drugs war ... on 11:27 - Aug 26 with 1422 viewsDafyddHuw

Extra-judicial assassinations?

Why does anybody even begin to think that this is OK?
A rather chilling drugs war ... on 11:35 - Aug 26 with 1411 viewsTom1912

Well Portugal legalised drugs 14 years ago and the country didn't collapse.

Far from it actually, they have seen a lot of benefits.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/portugal-decriminalised-drugs-14-
A rather chilling drugs war ... on 11:43 - Aug 26 with 1409 viewsskippyjack

A rather chilling drugs war ... on 04:51 - Aug 26 by Tummer_from_Texas

It creates a very slippery slope to allow a government the power to put hits out on criminals, but the threat of mere jail time is completely useless as a deterrent in the lucrative drug world.

If they were placing these hits on weed dealers, that would just be tyrannical and brutal. But hard drugs like meth kill a lot more people than the number they are murdering, so it's easy to argue that they are saving lives, in the long run.

So in principal, it sounds good. But in this case in the Philippines, Duterte is doing it the wrong way:

Five police generals, he says, are kingpins of the business. But it is those at the lowest levels of the trade who are targeted by the death squads.
[Post edited 26 Aug 2016 5:45]

The Philippines deal with homemade crystal meth and heroin.. The government order hit men.. because they carry AK47s, a machine gun, and snipers around every drug field.. They have 100 thousand drug workers.. practically an army.

This is why the Philippine govt are so cut throat.. drug cartels are practically controlling the land mass with heavy weaponry.

People in the Philippines are dirt poor, so working for the drug business seems a legitimate career choice.

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

A rather chilling drugs war ... on 11:43 - Aug 26 with 1406 viewsjack247

A rather chilling drugs war ... on 11:35 - Aug 26 by Tom1912

Well Portugal legalised drugs 14 years ago and the country didn't collapse.

Far from it actually, they have seen a lot of benefits.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/portugal-decriminalised-drugs-14-

What are Estonia doing wrong?
A rather chilling drugs war ... on 12:03 - Aug 26 with 1388 viewsTom1912

A rather chilling drugs war ... on 11:43 - Aug 26 by jack247

What are Estonia doing wrong?

I don't understand the relevance of this question
A rather chilling drugs war ... on 12:07 - Aug 26 with 1385 viewsjack247

A rather chilling drugs war ... on 12:03 - Aug 26 by Tom1912

I don't understand the relevance of this question

Pro-rata they seem to have roughly double the amount of drug deaths than the next highest. It's in the article you linked
A rather chilling drugs war ... on 12:08 - Aug 26 with 1384 viewsTom1912

A rather chilling drugs war ... on 12:07 - Aug 26 by jack247

Pro-rata they seem to have roughly double the amount of drug deaths than the next highest. It's in the article you linked

Oh I see, no idea.

I think they have quite a strong growing economy too the last few years.
A rather chilling drugs war ... on 12:31 - Aug 26 with 1370 viewsjack247

A rather chilling drugs war ... on 12:08 - Aug 26 by Tom1912

Oh I see, no idea.

I think they have quite a strong growing economy too the last few years.

I don't know either. I thought they may have either very strict or lax drug laws. They must be doing something very wrong in comparison with everyone else. May be bring a bit ignorant here, but I wouldn't think they have a much different demographic to the other Baltic countries.
A rather chilling drugs war ... on 13:05 - Aug 26 with 1352 viewsperchrockjack

Thank you for your respectful replies.
Gentlemen, they ARE like burglars and thieves insofar as they want a living for no real effort.

We have kids whose families sacrifice much to get an eventually lucrative living.

I've been to Lisbon and cascais many times and they have a big drug problem. Many inner city ares are no good and stink to high heaven.

Other countries have different cultures. Ours is liberal and ,attimes ,almost liaises fairer

! Repeat none of you have the answer, only opinion and mine is not unique.

Milljack. If you cannot envisage druggies buying free heroine in the night street and the effect it would have then I really can't take this debate further but a genuine thanks anyway to all.

A rather chilling drugs war ... on 13:21 - Aug 26 with 1341 viewsskippyjack

A rather chilling drugs war ... on 13:05 - Aug 26 by perchrockjack

Thank you for your respectful replies.
Gentlemen, they ARE like burglars and thieves insofar as they want a living for no real effort.

We have kids whose families sacrifice much to get an eventually lucrative living.

I've been to Lisbon and cascais many times and they have a big drug problem. Many inner city ares are no good and stink to high heaven.

Other countries have different cultures. Ours is liberal and ,attimes ,almost liaises fairer

! Repeat none of you have the answer, only opinion and mine is not unique.

Milljack. If you cannot envisage druggies buying free heroine in the night street and the effect it would have then I really can't take this debate further but a genuine thanks anyway to all.

Perch.. The Philippines is completely different to the UK.. They have guerilla drug armies and stuff.. With Aks, M4s, Machine Guns, Grenades.. barbed wire around drug farms with surveillance.

We're not talking about Dave the local drug dealer types.

No wonder why the North East/West police force are piss poor ffs.

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

A rather chilling drugs war ... on 13:26 - Aug 26 with 1331 viewsperchrockjack

What . Phillipnes different country.

That ll be why they have a different system.

There is no guarantee legalising drugs will make matters better.

I'm not going into detail about my previous roles but trust me I'm in a better position than most to comment. I say comment as thst s all it is

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024