Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rip Tide 22:26 - Aug 27 with 1838 viewsmax936

Here you go fill Lads and Lasses, be careful out there.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/what-is-a-rip-tide-and-how-do-i-spot-one-at
[Post edited 28 Aug 2016 12:24]

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Rip Tides on 23:57 - Aug 27 with 1302 viewsLoyal

Two feet firmly on the ground and all this becomes completely irrelevant mate.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Rip Tides on 11:38 - Aug 28 with 1201 viewsunion_jack

Who's Tides and how did he die?

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Rip Tides on 12:17 - Aug 28 with 1179 viewsMrSwerve

Rip Tides on 11:38 - Aug 28 by union_jack

Who's Tides and how did he die?

That's the first think I thought.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Rip Tide on 12:27 - Aug 28 with 1160 viewsmax936

Rip Tides on 12:17 - Aug 28 by MrSwerve

That's what thinging gets you

Rip Tide on 12:28 - Aug 28 with 1158 viewsmax936

Rip Tides on 12:17 - Aug 28 by MrSwerve

Pedantic lot we are this morning

Rip Tide on 13:16 - Aug 28 with 1117 viewsLord_Bony

Only once I got caught out swimming by a bad rip. they say don't panic but panic I did and fought my way back somehow to end up on the beach an exhausted,quivering mess.
They say let it take you out 100 ft or so then start swimming out of it then back to the beach...feck that!

Put me off the sea for a long time that incident did.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Rip Tide on 13:24 - Aug 28 with 1103 viewsmax936

Rip Tide on 13:16 - Aug 28 by Lord_Bony

Only once I got caught out swimming by a bad rip. they say don't panic but panic I did and fought my way back somehow to end up on the beach an exhausted,quivering mess.
They say let it take you out 100 ft or so then start swimming out of it then back to the beach...feck that!

Easy to say than not do, but panic is the last thing to do, yes it happens, but you've got to just concentrate otherwise you're in the do, do, tide was strong down Langland yesterday I swarm over towards Rotherslade easy enough but coming back was tough, yet Friday it was a breeze as was Thursday was gonna go today, but this bloody rain is putting me right off.

Rip Tide on 13:38 - Aug 28 with 1093 viewsLord_Bony

I was naive back then. After watching the videos on here have a much better understanding how to spot them.

Was in Tenerife once and the beach was cordoned off someone got caught in a rip and drowned the day before...some particularly vicious ones there.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"

Login to get fewer ads

Rip Tide on 13:42 - Aug 28 with 1086 viewsswanstillidai

That link is riddled & dodgy as feck Max
Rip Tide on 13:46 - Aug 28 with 1076 viewsmax936

Rip Tide on 13:42 - Aug 28 by swanstillidai

That link is riddled & dodgy as feck Max

Works ok for me, I'm running on Windows 10 and had the link from My News Feed.

What is showing /happening for you?

Rip Tide on 13:47 - Aug 28 with 1070 viewsswanstillidai

Rip Tide on 13:46 - Aug 28 by max936

Works ok for me, I'm running on Windows 10 and had the link from My News Feed.

What is showing /happening for you?

Pop ups saying you've won an iPad.

Difficult to shut the page down.

Dodgy as feck
Rip Tide on 13:49 - Aug 28 with 1067 viewsmax936

Rip Tide on 13:47 - Aug 28 by swanstillidai

Pop ups saying you've won an iPad.

Difficult to shut the page down.

Dodgy as feck

Not sure why that happens to be honest, are you using an Ad Blocker?

I was out yesterday afternoon and tried to get our game on a stream on my Phone and it was happening to me, I give up in the end.

Rip Tide on 13:53 - Aug 28 with 1061 viewsLord_Bony

http://www.livescience.com/3910-rip-currents-ocean-deadliest-trick.html

Rip Tide on 15:04 - Aug 28 with 997 viewscontroversial_jack

Rip Tide on 13:53 - Aug 28 by Lord_Bony

http://www.livescience.com/3910-rip-currents-ocean-deadliest-trick.html

There are many different videos out there giving advice, but the piece of advice that's common with them all is not to panic. Easier said than done of course, but you can't swim against them and they won't take you to Devon or take you under. Compose yourself and try and swim out of them, even if you have to swim across them for a few minutes
Rip Tide on 17:11 - Aug 28 with 935 viewsJackfath

We always used to enjoy getting pulled out on the current at Langland , a poor mans water park as we could never afford to go abroad.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Rip Tide on 17:58 - Aug 28 with 904 viewsWingstandwood

Rip Tide on 13:16 - Aug 28 by Lord_Bony

It is instinctive and a natural reaction to swim back because the further you are taken out and the smaller and more distant the shoreline becomes...... the more most would panic.

I know of an incident in the Loughor estuary where two people were saved after their small boat keeled over onto its side tipping them into the water into a rushing current. They were of sea-worthy/savvy nature and let the outgoing tide take (instead of fighting it) them whilst shouting help along its narrowish sea bound passage. Luckily the narrow channel has two visible banks on either side. Maybe they would have fought/swam against it otherwise?

One of the guys thought he was going to die and was like yourself was left terrified and exhausted and he said he would have died had it not been for somebodies timely phone/rescue services.

Argus!

Rip Tide on 18:01 - Aug 28 with 896 viewscontroversial_jack

Rip Tide on 17:58 - Aug 28 by Wingstandwood

It is instinctive and a natural reaction to swim back because the further you are taken out and the smaller and more distant the shoreline becomes...... the more most would panic.

I know of an incident in the Loughor estuary where two people were saved after their small boat keeled over onto its side tipping them into the water into a rushing current. They were of sea-worthy/savvy nature and let the outgoing tide take (instead of fighting it) them whilst shouting help along its narrowish sea bound passage. Luckily the narrow channel has two visible banks on either side. Maybe they would have fought/swam against it otherwise?

One of the guys thought he was going to die and was like yourself was left terrified and exhausted and he said he would have died had it not been for somebodies timely phone/rescue services.

A rip won't really take you out that far, far enough to drown of course.
Rip Tide on 18:09 - Aug 28 with 885 viewsjack247

Rip Tide on 18:01 - Aug 28 by controversial_jack

You won't drown if you let it take you, tread water and then swim to the side and back around it when you get to the end. The water around it may be choppy, but it invariably won't drag you anywhere
Rip Tide (n/t) on 19:31 - Aug 28 with 838 viewsWingstandwood

[Post edited 28 Aug 2016 19:42]

Argus!

Rip Tide on 19:40 - Aug 28 with 826 viewsWingstandwood

Yeah aggree!.... I think the incident I described was caused by the infamous Loughor estuary incoming/outgoing tidal rush that runs for miles (not rip current) and apparently?.... (I've been told).... Is one of the quickest in the U.K...... A treacherous stretch of water.

Word of advice to any non-locals/first time visitors visiting the area. Check tide times and try not to not venture into tidal path/water area's, there are places out there that are like quicksand. Loughor estuary (tide in or out) is not a place for walking upon or swimming in IMO!

Argus!

Rip Tide on 20:52 - Aug 28 with 796 viewsmax936

Rip Tide on 19:40 - Aug 28 by Wingstandwood

Yeah aggree!.... I think the incident I described was caused by the infamous Loughor estuary incoming/outgoing tidal rush that runs for miles (not rip current) and apparently?.... (I've been told).... Is one of the quickest in the U.K...... A treacherous stretch of water.

Word of advice to any non-locals/first time visitors visiting the area. Check tide times and try not to not venture into tidal path/water area's, there are places out there that are like quicksand. Loughor estuary (tide in or out) is not a place for walking upon or swimming in IMO!

Its easy for an experienced swimmer [sea] to say not to panic, but in what seems a difficult/dangerous situation its unnerving to say the least, even after yrs and yrs of swimming in virtually all conditions it can still frighten you, it does me anyway the day it doesn't is the time to stop swimming in the sea, never ever get complacent is my advice.

Rip Tide on 20:58 - Aug 28 with 791 viewsjack247

Rip Tide on 20:52 - Aug 28 by max936

Its easy for an experienced swimmer [sea] to say not to panic, but in what seems a difficult/dangerous situation its unnerving to say the least, even after yrs and yrs of swimming in virtually all conditions it can still frighten you, it does me anyway the day it doesn't is the time to stop swimming in the sea, never ever get complacent is my advice.

The difficult bit is recognising it's happening. Then you have to fight your instinct to siwim against it. It's happened to me a couple of times, first was terrifying
Rip Tide on 21:06 - Aug 28 with 783 viewslifelong

Rip Tide on 19:40 - Aug 28 by Wingstandwood

Very wise, it is a dangerous place.

My experience of a rip tide was on holiday in Noja in Northern Spain, a lovely coastal area very similar to Gower. My daughter was 10 and had befriended a girl of the same age who was staying nearby.
One day we were on the beach and both girls ran into the sea with small surf boards, within seconds the tide started to take them out, I ran into the sea and when I reached them I was already out of my depth.I clung on to both surf boards and the rip tide was now taking the three of us further out.
Suddenly out of nowhere 5 local lads in their late teens came swimming to our aid and they dragged the two girls to the side of the rip tide and out of the sea to safety, with me following them.
A terrifying experience.
Rip Tide on 21:18 - Aug 28 with 774 viewsJackfath

Rip Tide on 21:06 - Aug 28 by lifelong

Very wise, it is a dangerous place.

My experience of a rip tide was on holiday in Noja in Northern Spain, a lovely coastal area very similar to Gower. My daughter was 10 and had befriended a girl of the same age who was staying nearby.
One day we were on the beach and both girls ran into the sea with small surf boards, within seconds the tide started to take them out, I ran into the sea and when I reached them I was already out of my depth.I clung on to both surf boards and the rip tide was now taking the three of us further out.
Suddenly out of nowhere 5 local lads in their late teens came swimming to our aid and they dragged the two girls to the side of the rip tide and out of the sea to safety, with me following them.
A terrifying experience.

Did you survive?

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Rip Tide on 21:21 - Aug 28 with 770 viewslifelong

Rip Tide on 21:18 - Aug 28 by Jackfath

Did you survive?

Yes.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024