Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The manager I wish we had at the club is... 16:06 - Aug 28 with 4814 viewsStarsky

... One that would only join us on the condition that he was responsible for the transfers in and out and the development of the team.

Guidolin is a gentleman but every time he says he's not responsible for the players coming in I despair.

It's just the internet, init.

The manager I wish we had at the club is... on 22:38 - Aug 28 with 1270 viewsStarsky

FAO wiggle (who down arrowed me)
You quite happy for Huw to do the buying & selling then?

The manager I wish we had at the club is... on 22:57 - Aug 28 with 1242 viewsRancid

He's been meddling in transfers since day 1 I suspect.Players openly wanted to come here and play for Laudrup which is why we were successful back then but after letting Laudrup do his job Huw felt the need to step in and sign the likes of David N'Gog and Marvin Emnes and put the blockers on Laudrup buying the players we needed to stay up.Luckily that worked out well for a while under Monk.I think Brendan was his favourite and the one he gave most trust too.He could walk all over Monk and now Guidolin it seems.He could prove to be the rise and fall of the club.
The manager I wish we had at the club is... on 14:33 - Aug 30 with 1111 viewsWarwickHunt

The manager I wish we had at the club is... on 19:41 - Aug 28 by Flashberryjack

I wish we had a manager

We have a good one but it seems like he has one hand tied behind his back...
The manager I wish we had at the club is... on 14:42 - Aug 30 with 1106 viewsFlashberryjack

The manager I wish we had at the club is... on 16:32 - Aug 28 by Smellyplumz

What is Guidolins style of play he's trying to get us to play? I don't get it and what ever that style is is not working, he's not getting the best of of the players or the players are not playing for him. We need a manager to come in and stamp his style, a passing style back on us. I'm watching man city and yes they have tonnes more money and much better players but watching them passing is a joy, we are not a joy.

How can a manager create a certain style of play when the chairman just says "here's our new signing, do with him what you will"

The sooner Guidolin grows a pair the better, although if he did, he'd be gone.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

The manager I wish we had at the club is... on 15:23 - Aug 30 with 1050 viewsLeonisGod

The manager I wish we had at the club is... on 14:42 - Aug 30 by Flashberryjack

How can a manager create a certain style of play when the chairman just says "here's our new signing, do with him what you will"

The sooner Guidolin grows a pair the better, although if he did, he'd be gone.

Which probably explains why there was little difference in our play after Guidolin joined. I had big expectations of Guidolin after reading what he's done in italy, but he doesn't seem to have imposed himself at all. Last season that could be explained away by him not wanting to shake things up too much when we were up against it. But little has changed after a whole summer / transfer window either.
The manager I wish we had at the club is... on 15:44 - Aug 30 with 1026 viewsperchrockjack

Watching guido is pity personified.

Negative,uneasy,awful body language .totally uninspiring and very unlike an Italian .

We ve made, IMO ,a shocking choice and one whom we ve extended his contract.

We need some fire as the fans are dead as are the players.

It don't look good really

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

The manager I wish we had at the club is... on 16:23 - Aug 30 with 1008 viewsPrivate_Partz

The manager I wish we had at the club is... on 15:23 - Aug 30 by LeonisGod

Which probably explains why there was little difference in our play after Guidolin joined. I had big expectations of Guidolin after reading what he's done in italy, but he doesn't seem to have imposed himself at all. Last season that could be explained away by him not wanting to shake things up too much when we were up against it. But little has changed after a whole summer / transfer window either.

I am amazed the manger knocking has stated so early. We are only 3 games into the season. In the friendlies we were talking about the high pressing game and how quick we were on the break. The opposition has now improved and we are finding it difficult as we have not been that successful in the transfer market. We have lost some big players and those that have been signed have been very late. We may even squeeze a couple more in although I won't hold my breath on that one. We had a decent result at Burnley. Got mugged by Hull. Could have had 10 against Peterborough. Disappointing at Leicester but still had our best result against them in recent times. FG is hamstrung by our snail paced egotistical DOF but I think there is a good chance he will still get the best out of the players as he has done with Jeff and Kyle.
Perch is going for the jugular with his performances in the pressers. He is still working on improving his English.
Far too early to write him off. If he decides to walk we will truly be in the brown and smelly.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

The manager I wish we had at the club is... on 21:02 - Aug 30 with 928 viewsperchrockjack

No ,PERCH is articulating what most can see and that is a rather forlorn ,wistful and utterly uncomfortable manager in charge of our beloved club. He looks less interested that Laudrup . THE FACT he admits to having little if any say in players is both bizarre and alarming.

We ve seen enough I do believe to see this extended contract wasn't smart and the Yanks need to quit gorging on our player sales and source a manager with real fire, preferably an obnoxious one who will rip into the pitiful welsh media and really get up our players.

It can be done but will it. Those "supporting" Frankie are being sentimental

Login to get fewer ads

The manager I wish we had at the club is... on 21:06 - Aug 30 with 921 viewsFlashberryjack

The manager I wish we had at the club is... on 21:02 - Aug 30 by perchrockjack

No ,PERCH is articulating what most can see and that is a rather forlorn ,wistful and utterly uncomfortable manager in charge of our beloved club. He looks less interested that Laudrup . THE FACT he admits to having little if any say in players is both bizarre and alarming.

We ve seen enough I do believe to see this extended contract wasn't smart and the Yanks need to quit gorging on our player sales and source a manager with real fire, preferably an obnoxious one who will rip into the pitiful welsh media and really get up our players.

It can be done but will it. Those "supporting" Frankie are being sentimental

Agree with this........I think!

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

The manager I wish we had at the club is... on 21:15 - Aug 30 with 910 viewsperchrockjack

I THINK therefore I am.

No more bull

No more, he s a lovely /nice man. About the worst thing Ive read on here. We have fans who want our manager to be a nice guy? Put me in my grave now Lord.

We are becoming soft, fans on their knees, silent at games, no passion, no real anger .

The welsh media disrespect us,as to the media pundits but we take it like a corporate Uriah Heap.

THE CITY is a dump as Roger lifelong had the guts to allude to in a previous post, the club ,our pirde and joy ,is sinking fast and yet we have many who actually rip into fans just for expressing concern,worry,disgust,disappointment.

Great post eh

Getting off our knees would be a start and make the

The manager I wish we had at the club is... on 21:20 - Aug 30 with 901 viewsDr_Winston

Us?

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The manager I wish we had at the club is... on 21:26 - Aug 30 with 884 viewsStarsky

The manager I wish we had at the club is... on 21:15 - Aug 30 by perchrockjack

I THINK therefore I am.

No more bull

No more, he s a lovely /nice man. About the worst thing Ive read on here. We have fans who want our manager to be a nice guy? Put me in my grave now Lord.

We are becoming soft, fans on their knees, silent at games, no passion, no real anger .

The welsh media disrespect us,as to the media pundits but we take it like a corporate Uriah Heap.

THE CITY is a dump as Roger lifelong had the guts to allude to in a previous post, the club ,our pirde and joy ,is sinking fast and yet we have many who actually rip into fans just for expressing concern,worry,disgust,disappointment.

Great post eh

Getting off our knees would be a start and make the

I started this thread to discuss the managerial situation. Not for you to once again trash my City.
You are very sensitive about folk being detrimental about Liverpool etc, I don't really want to fall out with you over you trashing Swansea again.

The manager I wish we had at the club is... on 21:27 - Aug 30 with 884 viewsJoe_bradshaw

The yanks will not be sourcing a manager with real fire anytime soon. The person they have put in charge of running the club won't allow it.

I am informed by someone who was at Leicester that Guidolin reacted angrily in conversation with HJ (seen from afar). Maybe the manager's unhappiness stems from his feelings that he's being asked to build something without being given decent raw materials or tools?

It may go some way to explaining our reported sudden interest in the transfer market when our business seemed to be done?

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

The manager I wish we had at the club is... on 21:44 - Aug 30 with 849 viewsFearOfAJackPlanet

Disagree.

Too much upheaval whenever a new manager comes in (which is usually every 18 months or so...). It's way too costly to rip everything up for a new man on that basis. It's ok if you have limitless resources like the current Manchester clubs with their hideously expensive Jose/Pep experiments, but for us, we need to have a sense of continuity on player recruitment - the 'coach' can have an input into of course, but isn't dictated to by them.

The coach should be identified as someone who can fit the ethos of the club and get the best out of the kind of squad we're building (from the academy through to records buys), not come here to act out their buying and selling fantasies.

If people are grumbling about recruitment, the solution isn't to cede control of that to a johnny come lately coach who'll be gone in months.

Enjoying the next level
Poll: Have you ever seen Swansea City relegated before?

The manager I wish we had at the club is... on 21:52 - Aug 30 with 826 viewsDr_Winston

The manager I wish we had at the club is... on 21:44 - Aug 30 by FearOfAJackPlanet

Disagree.

Too much upheaval whenever a new manager comes in (which is usually every 18 months or so...). It's way too costly to rip everything up for a new man on that basis. It's ok if you have limitless resources like the current Manchester clubs with their hideously expensive Jose/Pep experiments, but for us, we need to have a sense of continuity on player recruitment - the 'coach' can have an input into of course, but isn't dictated to by them.

The coach should be identified as someone who can fit the ethos of the club and get the best out of the kind of squad we're building (from the academy through to records buys), not come here to act out their buying and selling fantasies.

If people are grumbling about recruitment, the solution isn't to cede control of that to a johnny come lately coach who'll be gone in months.

The most success we've had on the pitch is when the managers have had clear input into recruitment. Like Rodgers with Sinclair and Graham, or Laudrup with the Spanish/Dutch contingent. Sousa had little input into player targeting. Likewise Monk and now it would seem Guidolin. How much fun was the football then?

Yes, there should be continuity in the type of players we bring in (comfortable on the ball, hardworking, capable within the 4-3-3 etc) but we seem to have gone badly off the rails ever since things started going sour with Laudrup. We're no longer doing what got us here in the first place. There appears to be no co-operation or involvement in key decisions from all relevant parties.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The manager I wish we had at the club is... on 21:54 - Aug 30 with 785 viewsBlameHuwJenkins

The manager I wish we had at the club is... on 21:44 - Aug 30 by FearOfAJackPlanet

Disagree.

The solution also is not to give up ultimate control to a self appointed director of football who has proven undoubtedly that he is not capable of recruting efficiently for a Premier League football team.

Our only success in the transfer market in terms of strengthening the team has been a result of players clearly identified by the manager.

Directors of football are relieved of their duties at other clubs often after one poor transfer window. Ours has gotten away with almost three years of failure. It has taken our playing squad back to a standard weaker than what we entered this division with and we will undoubtedly be relegated to a division that accurately reflects the talent in the playing staff very soon unless there is serious change.
The manager I wish we had at the club is... on 21:56 - Aug 30 with 774 viewsAngelRangelQS

Don't see how any criticism can be levelled at Guidolin to be fair. He hasn't exactly been given very much to work with.

He'll be the very convenient fall guy come Christmas where I fully expect to see Landon Donovan come in.
The manager I wish we had at the club is... on 21:58 - Aug 30 with 763 viewsjackjackjackjack

Landon or Chris Coleman.

Poll: Where will we finish in the Championship ?

The manager I wish we had at the club is... on 22:05 - Aug 30 with 744 viewsJoe_bradshaw

The manager I wish we had at the club is... on 21:58 - Aug 30 by jackjackjackjack

Landon or Chris Coleman.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

The manager I wish we had at the club is... on 22:07 - Aug 30 with 738 viewsmax936

The manager I wish we had at the club is... on 21:56 - Aug 30 by AngelRangelQS

Don't see how any criticism can be levelled at Guidolin to be fair. He hasn't exactly been given very much to work with.

He'll be the very convenient fall guy come Christmas where I fully expect to see Landon Donovan come in.

If what Joe Bradshaw was told is true [and I've no reason to doubt him], then all is not well at the coal face, it seems ridiculous that a Manager hasn't got a say in recruitment when his future relies on results, maybe that's why Rogers went and then decided not to come back plus others that were/have been supposedly linked, we'll never know is the answer.
[Post edited 30 Aug 2016 22:09]

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

The manager I wish we had at the club is... on 22:14 - Aug 30 with 704 viewsFearOfAJackPlanet

The manager I wish we had at the club is... on 21:52 - Aug 30 by Dr_Winston

The most success we've had on the pitch is when the managers have had clear input into recruitment. Like Rodgers with Sinclair and Graham, or Laudrup with the Spanish/Dutch contingent. Sousa had little input into player targeting. Likewise Monk and now it would seem Guidolin. How much fun was the football then?

Yes, there should be continuity in the type of players we bring in (comfortable on the ball, hardworking, capable within the 4-3-3 etc) but we seem to have gone badly off the rails ever since things started going sour with Laudrup. We're no longer doing what got us here in the first place. There appears to be no co-operation or involvement in key decisions from all relevant parties.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Input into recruitment is fine, but being in charge of it as the OP implies....nope.

Laudrup was a bit of a freak in many ways - a total legend of the game who'd only managed pub teams in a league where there were at the time bargains to be found (For Michu's equivalent value now, see Baston).

Huw must have thought it was xmas - a legend as boss who identifies cheap signings with sell-on value. It was an amazing convergence of circumstances and we dined out on it all the way to Europe and the League Cup, but I doubt we can use it as a template to use as a way forwards.

Hoping we appoint an absolute gem like Brendan or Laudrup is too risky for me.

Enjoying the next level

The manager I wish we had at the club is... on 22:18 - Aug 30 with 692 viewsmax936

The manager I wish we had at the club is... on 22:14 - Aug 30 by FearOfAJackPlanet

Input into recruitment is fine, but being in charge of it as the OP implies....nope.

Laudrup was a bit of a freak in many ways - a total legend of the game who'd only managed pub teams in a league where there were at the time bargains to be found (For Michu's equivalent value now, see Baston).

Huw must have thought it was xmas - a legend as boss who identifies cheap signings with sell-on value. It was an amazing convergence of circumstances and we dined out on it all the way to Europe and the League Cup, but I doubt we can use it as a template to use as a way forwards.

Hoping we appoint an absolute gem like Brendan or Laudrup is too risky for me.

A manager has to have players that he believes in and he can trust, not saying that's not the case, but surely any manager needs to have an input and even the final say on players for certain positions, well it seems sensible to do things that way to me anyway.

The manager I wish we had at the club is... on 22:28 - Aug 30 with 682 viewsFearOfAJackPlanet

The manager I wish we had at the club is... on 22:18 - Aug 30 by max936

A manager has to have players that he believes in and he can trust, not saying that's not the case, but surely any manager needs to have an input and even the final say on players for certain positions, well it seems sensible to do things that way to me anyway.

I think there's an element of culture clash here. To make a massive generalisation, in continental football, in which Guidolin is rooted, the coach...coaches what is put in front of him by the club that employs him. He'll have various levels of input into new signings of course, but it is understood that he coaches, he doesn't buy and sell. The clue's in the name.

In the UK, we've had more experience of full-on 'managers' who are more involved in the day to day running of the club, including recruitment, with comparatively more hands-off chairmen, or at least, owners who are more sympathetic to managers having a major say in recruitment.

As with a lot of teams, we seem to want to have a bit of both - employing continental coaches, but as fans, expecting them to lead on recruitment. I don't think we've a clear strategy either way. I agree we can't just leave recruitment up to Huw and his pals, but giving the coach a free reign with our cash isn't ideal either.

Enjoying the next level

The manager I wish we had at the club is... on 22:36 - Aug 30 with 660 viewsmax936

The manager I wish we had at the club is... on 22:28 - Aug 30 by FearOfAJackPlanet

I think there's an element of culture clash here. To make a massive generalisation, in continental football, in which Guidolin is rooted, the coach...coaches what is put in front of him by the club that employs him. He'll have various levels of input into new signings of course, but it is understood that he coaches, he doesn't buy and sell. The clue's in the name.

In the UK, we've had more experience of full-on 'managers' who are more involved in the day to day running of the club, including recruitment, with comparatively more hands-off chairmen, or at least, owners who are more sympathetic to managers having a major say in recruitment.

As with a lot of teams, we seem to want to have a bit of both - employing continental coaches, but as fans, expecting them to lead on recruitment. I don't think we've a clear strategy either way. I agree we can't just leave recruitment up to Huw and his pals, but giving the coach a free reign with our cash isn't ideal either.

I agree that no manager should have a free reign on spending, but there has to be a balance manager/coach needs to have the spine he wants trusts of maybe 4 players or so, I'm not sure Guidolin has that to be honest which could always lead to conflict, but whatever happens we as fans will never know.

The manager I wish we had at the club is... on 22:50 - Aug 30 with 636 viewsmonmouth

The manager I wish we had at the club is... on 22:36 - Aug 30 by max936

I agree that no manager should have a free reign on spending, but there has to be a balance manager/coach needs to have the spine he wants trusts of maybe 4 players or so, I'm not sure Guidolin has that to be honest which could always lead to conflict, but whatever happens we as fans will never know.

WE don't know how much input he has in the ins and outs though Max. There's a lot of speculation, and hot air. FGs english is not good enough to articulate what level of involvement he has, but I don't believe it is zero, and if it is, then it's far more likely to be Leadbetter and whoever else in that cabal than a jenkins power play in my opinion. I suspect (but I'm as ignorant as everyone else whatever they claim) is that FG identifies a type, Leadbetter et all (and through agents, maybe just through agents if not Boro or Falkirk based) identify a list, and jenkins tries to get them at minimum price...and if jenkins is to blame for anything it is because that is where we now seem to be missing out (more speculation, but that one is eminently believable).

We have just bought a few duds, We knew it was bound to happen. Whether it's in the identification, or scrooge tendency forcing us too far down the list, who knows. They've been the worst kind of duds too, expensive klingon duds, but they also produced Ayew .

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024