Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? 19:09 - Aug 31 with 23808 viewsGowerjack

I'm Swansea born and bred,a Penlan boy.

One of our esteemed posters who has moved away almost always slags his hometown.

For my part I think the City has been let down for decades both by the local council and the London and WAG.

I mean look at the mess made of the City centre road network for the failed bendy bus project ( not to mention the unfortunate people who lost their lives because of it). Or what about the "Boulevard Project" which after months of traffic disruption ended up being a wider pavement!

Or to go back a little longer the disaster that is Castle Square or the failed Cafe Quarter?

Or knocking down David Evans and replacing it with the current ugly and underused building?

Poor planning decisions and a lack of investment centrally have really hurt us.

I defy anyone to walk from Dyfatty down High Steet,Orchard Street,the Kingsway & St Helens Rd to the Guildhall and tell me that our City has not been allowed to become a complete s hithole.

It's a real shame that this combination of poor decision making and focusing public money elsewhere has led to this as Swansea has a location and natural environment second to none.

I'm old enough to remember Swansea as a bustling friendly and clean City with a sense of purpose.

Not anymore.

Your views?

[Post edited 31 Aug 2016 19:11]

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 22:03 - Aug 31 with 1845 viewsGowerjack

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 21:59 - Aug 31 by perchrockjack

Wanna pm gower . I ll explain in private as I don't want our filth gorging on stuff

Um err

Ok....

Plastic since 1974

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 22:08 - Aug 31 with 1830 viewsangryjack

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 22:03 - Aug 31 by Gowerjack

Um err

Ok....

swanseas a slum
Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 22:12 - Aug 31 with 1819 viewsperchrockjack

I'm not gonna trash your house nor you. I could find out where you live but don't worry.

Do it, I ll talk capos, plectrums and strings if you like.

It's far to private for the likes of Our puerile chums

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 22:14 - Aug 31 with 1814 viewsDarran

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 22:08 - Aug 31 by angryjack

swanseas a slum

Brilliant.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 22:16 - Aug 31 with 1813 viewsperchrockjack

Apostrophe offence

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 22:24 - Aug 31 with 1808 viewsGowerjack

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 22:16 - Aug 31 by perchrockjack

Apostrophe offence

(')

The crux of the biscuit

Plastic since 1974

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 22:27 - Aug 31 with 1802 viewsRevJames

I live in Cardiff but have family in Swansea and Carmarthenshire.

While Cardiff has better retail, Swansea has by far the better maritime quarter as it has the sweep of Swansea Bay, a nice marina, lovely beach with attractive cycle and walking routes.

As in so many cities, it is the out of town developments like Fforestfach and Parc Trostre that has damaged the city centre. Cardiff has been fortunate because of projects like the St David's 2, shops like John Lewis and nice restaurants help attract shoppers and other quality retailers.

Swansea desperately needs a decent shopping centre along with a gateway from the railway station that gives you a positive first impression.

A large park and ride on Fabian Way with the reintroduction of an electric modern tram along the Bay to Mumbles would also help bring tourists and reduce congestion along the main route into the Gower.

Most importantly, the Swans' status in the premier league playing in front of a global audience is priceless promotion of the City and Wales. Now that's something Cardiff can't compete with.
Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 22:34 - Aug 31 with 1786 viewsBanosswan

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 22:14 - Aug 31 by Darran

Brilliant.

Don't tell me perch has started pm ing people already

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Login to get fewer ads

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 22:34 - Aug 31 with 1786 viewsGowerjack

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 22:27 - Aug 31 by RevJames

I live in Cardiff but have family in Swansea and Carmarthenshire.

While Cardiff has better retail, Swansea has by far the better maritime quarter as it has the sweep of Swansea Bay, a nice marina, lovely beach with attractive cycle and walking routes.

As in so many cities, it is the out of town developments like Fforestfach and Parc Trostre that has damaged the city centre. Cardiff has been fortunate because of projects like the St David's 2, shops like John Lewis and nice restaurants help attract shoppers and other quality retailers.

Swansea desperately needs a decent shopping centre along with a gateway from the railway station that gives you a positive first impression.

A large park and ride on Fabian Way with the reintroduction of an electric modern tram along the Bay to Mumbles would also help bring tourists and reduce congestion along the main route into the Gower.

Most importantly, the Swans' status in the premier league playing in front of a global audience is priceless promotion of the City and Wales. Now that's something Cardiff can't compete with.

Plastic since 1974

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 23:25 - Aug 31 with 1746 viewsSwanseajill

Although I'm from a family tree of Welsh, my parents decided to move to London when I was two.
So that was all I knew until I met a Swansea boy who was in The Welsh guards.
We were married with two small children when after years of saving for a house,it would be Swansea where we could afford one.

Unhappy for the first six months due to leaving family and friends. then finding a job and seeing
how much my children loved their lives, I eventually decided this was where I belonged.

Those days town was busy and shoppers impressed me by how smart they dressed to go into town.
It was a great place to bring up my family, they loved it here, it's not my birthplace, but it's my home.

Each time I go to Cardiff there is a new fountain/statue/gardens/building works happening. And it's not just Swansea that is suffering when you visit the west or the valleys. In fact the rest of Wales is very much behind the capital.

But, I feel that in general, the people of Swansea make the City, they are friendly, kind and helpful. And the Swans are a bonus too.
Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 23:45 - Aug 31 with 1723 viewsGowerjack

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 23:25 - Aug 31 by Swanseajill

Although I'm from a family tree of Welsh, my parents decided to move to London when I was two.
We were married with two small children when after years of saving for a house,it would be Swansea where we could afford one.

Unhappy for the first six months due to leaving family and friends. then finding a job and seeing
how much my children loved their lives, I eventually decided this was where I belonged.

Those days town was busy and shoppers impressed me by how smart they dressed to go into town.
It was a great place to bring up my family, they loved it here, it's not my birthplace, but it's my home.

Each time I go to Cardiff there is a new fountain/statue/gardens/building works happening. And it's not just Swansea that is suffering when you visit the west or the valleys. In fact the rest of Wales is very much behind the capital.

But, I feel that in general, the people of Swansea make the City, they are friendly, kind and helpful. And the Swans are a bonus too.

Great post Jill

Plastic since 1974

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 23:46 - Aug 31 with 1723 viewsMrSwerve

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 23:25 - Aug 31 by Swanseajill

Good post.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 00:23 - Sep 1 with 1696 viewsBlameHuwJenkins

It's enjoyable on a warm Summer day.

Aside from that, when compared to other cities of a similar population I have visited recently, it is truly awful.
Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 03:33 - Sep 1 with 1640 viewsDJack

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 19:29 - Aug 31 by Darran

It's not YOUR CITY you f*cked off.

...but playing devil's advocate you don't even live in the City of Swansea.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 03:45 - Sep 1 with 1636 viewsDJack

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 20:06 - Aug 31 by exiledclaseboy

I love Swansea. It's my home, for all its imperfections.

Serious question mate...In the past (on previous incarnations of this board) you've slated posters for their National pride (jingoism?!) by pointing out that their National Identity is an accident of birth, so why the love of a city through an accident of birth? ...I feel the same BTW but your previous comments seem contradictory.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 05:31 - Sep 1 with 1618 viewsexiledclaseboy

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 03:45 - Sep 1 by DJack

Serious question mate...In the past (on previous incarnations of this board) you've slated posters for their National pride (jingoism?!) by pointing out that their National Identity is an accident of birth, so why the love of a city through an accident of birth? ...I feel the same BTW but your previous comments seem contradictory.

I didn't say that I was proud of it or hold it up to be anything special though. That would be daft. It is what I said. It's my home, it's what I know and where I'm comfortable and happy and where most of my family and friends are. That's it. Not seeing a contradiction there.

Poll: Tory leader

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 06:42 - Sep 1 with 1590 views1983

I moved from Swansea about 10 years ago and with a heavy heart I must say I don't miss it, as somebody else said back in the days Swansea was a thriving bussling nice little city but now it's just a shadow of it's former self since all the big employers have gone so has the money there used to be some big players in the Swansea area N.C.B,Fords,Swansea Docks,B.P. I always remember waiting for my oldman when I was a kid at the gates of B.P LLandarcy at the end of his shift and coach loads! of workers coming out of there something we will never see the likes of again now we just got slave drivers like Amazon and call centres,what Swansea needs is proper jobs for the city to thrive again

When I talk to people here in South East of England about Swansea the ignorance of some English people is shocking they all think it's in the Vaaaalleeeeeys with lush green fields,rolling hills and babbling brooks

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 08:10 - Sep 1 with 1543 viewsLohengrin

"I defy anyone to walk from Dyfatty down High Steet,Orchard Street,the Kingsway & St Helens Rd to the Guildhall"

I doubt anybody would be comfortable if their daughter was to walk that route after dark these days.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 08:12 - Sep 1 with 1542 viewsVetchitBack

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 00:23 - Sep 1 by BlameHuwJenkins

It's enjoyable on a warm Summer day.

Aside from that, when compared to other cities of a similar population I have visited recently, it is truly awful.

Which cities would they be?

Places of a relatively similar population locally include Newport, Swindon, Reading, Plymouth. Portsmouth, Wolverhampton, Derby etc

Bigger than a cathedral city, smaller than a monied regional centre seems to be a problem with a few notable exceptions I'm sure someone will take glee in producing.
[Post edited 1 Sep 2016 8:19]

The orthodox are always orthodox, regardless of the orthodoxy.

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 08:15 - Sep 1 with 1536 viewsVetchitBack

I feel proud when people say us Jacks are friendly. And some of us are. But on the whole I wouldn't agree at all!

The orthodox are always orthodox, regardless of the orthodoxy.

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 08:31 - Sep 1 with 1516 viewsGowerjack

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 08:10 - Sep 1 by Lohengrin

"I defy anyone to walk from Dyfatty down High Steet,Orchard Street,the Kingsway & St Helens Rd to the Guildhall"

I doubt anybody would be comfortable if their daughter was to walk that route after dark these days.

Or indeed in the daytime

Plastic since 1974

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 08:47 - Sep 1 with 1506 viewsLohengrin

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 08:31 - Sep 1 by Gowerjack

Or indeed in the daytime

From how she was to what it has become....

[Post edited 1 Sep 2016 9:00]

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 08:49 - Sep 1 with 1496 viewsScotia

The urban area of Swansea has got to be among the worst in UK and I've lived in Plymouth, Cardiff and Birmingham. It's such a shame because the countryside and coast areas around it are amongst the best in the UK, we just don't make enough of them. I don't think there is another city with such an impressive bay frontage as Swansea yet we go and stick a dual carriageway between the beach and the city centre. The same goes for SA1, it's nice but totally isolated, visitors wouldn't even know it was there.

Personally I blame the local authority and WG (and I work for those). Swansea council on the whole are desperate for any external investment because we don't get any from WG, when they are given external investment they don't know what to do with it, they just grasp it with both hands without thinking of the implications.

They've made huge balls ups by allowing retail parks close to the two main routes in to the city, meaning shoppers don't bother going any further than Fforestfach or Morfa, realised their mistake and put stupid planning conditions allowing only certain retail types on one that could make a difference to the centre at Parc Tawe, costing them thousands when they lost the planning appeal. Just look at Carmarthen and Newport for examples of how to manage externally funded retail developments.

When we've had EU money we've wasted it on bendy buses and a big pavement to walk along the dual carriageway.

We desperately need a City centre regeneration, I don't know if it will happen but at least it's on the cards. The first phase of this is the redevelopment of the old Vetch site and the local councillor is already moaning about the loss of Urban green space!! FFS it was a football stadium until 10 years ago. Just do it!
Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 09:09 - Sep 1 with 1482 viewspikeypaul

The city centre is a complete shithole, but there is no need for anyone to go there,anything found there can be found elsewhere
All you see is Poundshops,charity shops,and bookmakers all catering for the lowest in society.Along with the fact there seems to be never ending road works.

Get outside the city and there are some beautiful places and a place I enjoy living.

The fact that the local politicians do nothing for the area whilst pocketing large salaries is
another story.
[Post edited 1 Sep 2016 12:54]

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 09:51 - Sep 1 with 1444 viewsperchrockjack

So basically everything I've been saying .

Firstly, we are free to move anywhere to improve our lives. Where we make our homes to raise a family is not often our (home) family home.

1983. That was me speaking thus.

What moving away does is give perspective and what I've seen over 40 years is steady decline. Many of you weren't born in the days when Swansea had balls, real class. An industrial giant who could look at any city ,even Cardiff, and say feck you.

We ve lost our spark ,our fight ,our pride and it's why the Liberty is a graveyard right now. I pray Chelsea take pity on us.

Finally, if the defensive crap of non Swansea people were eliminated from this site, all would see Swansea as I do and thst sadly is a shitehole. But it's my shitehole as Middlesbrough is theirs so let's see some jack pride and get off our knees.

These comments are aimed at those who "rule" over swansea

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024