Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? 19:09 - Aug 31 with 23809 viewsGowerjack

I'm Swansea born and bred,a Penlan boy.

One of our esteemed posters who has moved away almost always slags his hometown.

For my part I think the City has been let down for decades both by the local council and the London and WAG.

I mean look at the mess made of the City centre road network for the failed bendy bus project ( not to mention the unfortunate people who lost their lives because of it). Or what about the "Boulevard Project" which after months of traffic disruption ended up being a wider pavement!

Or to go back a little longer the disaster that is Castle Square or the failed Cafe Quarter?

Or knocking down David Evans and replacing it with the current ugly and underused building?

Poor planning decisions and a lack of investment centrally have really hurt us.

I defy anyone to walk from Dyfatty down High Steet,Orchard Street,the Kingsway & St Helens Rd to the Guildhall and tell me that our City has not been allowed to become a complete s hithole.

It's a real shame that this combination of poor decision making and focusing public money elsewhere has led to this as Swansea has a location and natural environment second to none.

I'm old enough to remember Swansea as a bustling friendly and clean City with a sense of purpose.

Not anymore.

Your views?

[Post edited 31 Aug 2016 19:11]

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 19:59 - Aug 31 with 1413 viewsParsSwans

Moved here coming on 8 years ago, my opinions of the city are mixed.
So much potential even more so than Cardiff. It's like a jigsaw puzzle that you are never going to finish in my opinion nice parts and shitholes that will never improve. Having lived in Scotland not far from Edinburgh where commercially and service wise things were millions of miles ahead I rarely go out here it's so boring and depressing which saddens me. Wind Street is like a night out in Cowdenbeath!
I blame the Welsh Government how anybody outside Cardiff can vote for that moron Carwyn Jones is beyond me, however i blame Swansea Council largely too as you get what you put up with and accept.
I would gladly move now although in no rush to as I can't see an improvement and don't hold much hope of this £500m development. I am a proud Welshman but a lot of people down here are not driven or motivated enough to be an instrumental part in changing things and Swansea and its people are stuck in this bubble that will just carry on sadly...
I have tried within my constituency to attempt to change hints for the better however to no avail
Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 19:59 - Aug 31 with 1410 viewsDarran

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 19:56 - Aug 31 by jack247

Fair enough. It's certainly not in Neath, even if it comes under NPTCBC.

Well wherever it is it's in the Aberavon constitutency

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 20:02 - Aug 31 with 1397 viewsSkewenMitch

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 19:59 - Aug 31 by Darran

Well wherever it is it's in the Aberavon constitutency

stephen kinnocks turf
Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 20:02 - Aug 31 with 1392 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 19:56 - Aug 31 by Gowerjack

Yes

Odd how he remembered his time as a student at Swansea University and love for the City at the same time that the council started touting the Country Hall site to all and sundry....

Well that's good news , much needed its a sh!t hole in big parts .

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 20:03 - Aug 31 with 1393 viewsJackfath

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 20:02 - Aug 31 by SkewenMitch

stephen kinnocks turf

The locals voted for him.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 20:04 - Aug 31 with 1383 viewsSkewenMitch

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 20:03 - Aug 31 by Jackfath

The locals voted for him.

Pin a Labour rosette on our chests and the locals would vote for me and you
Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 20:04 - Aug 31 with 1374 viewsJackfath

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 20:04 - Aug 31 by SkewenMitch

Pin a Labour rosette on our chests and the locals would vote for me and you

Now there's an idea.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 20:06 - Aug 31 with 1367 viewsexiledclaseboy

I love Swansea. It's my home, for all its imperfections.

Poll: Tory leader

Login to get fewer ads

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 20:07 - Aug 31 with 1364 viewsswan85

For me the comments about the city comparing to other cities is true, all have good and bad. It is a great place to live as said by many on here.

I just hope the tidal lagoon gets the go ahead, this will bring much investment, high value jobs and the creation of an industry that could be utilised around the UK with more lagoons and around the world, potential for a world leading industry on the door step.
Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 20:08 - Aug 31 with 1362 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

My Dad, into his 90s, Swansea born and bred, says Swansea could be one of the best cities in the world due to its location.

However, the best effort in town planning for Swansea unfortunately goes to the Luftwaffe.
[Post edited 31 Aug 2016 20:09]

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 20:09 - Aug 31 with 1354 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 20:07 - Aug 31 by swan85

For me the comments about the city comparing to other cities is true, all have good and bad. It is a great place to live as said by many on here.

I just hope the tidal lagoon gets the go ahead, this will bring much investment, high value jobs and the creation of an industry that could be utilised around the UK with more lagoons and around the world, potential for a world leading industry on the door step.

Indeed

It would have been started if it was Cardiff though

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 20:10 - Aug 31 with 1347 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 20:09 - Aug 31 by oh_tommy_tommy

Indeed

It would have been started if it was Cardiff though

err.......finished

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 20:11 - Aug 31 with 1340 viewsGowerjack

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 20:07 - Aug 31 by swan85

Yep.

Lets hope it happens.

Plastic since 1974

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 20:15 - Aug 31 with 1331 viewsGowerjack

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 20:06 - Aug 31 by exiledclaseboy

I love Swansea. It's my home, for all its imperfections.

Me too

I guess we are roughly the same age so do you think the city has improved in your lifetime?

Plastic since 1974

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 20:18 - Aug 31 with 1318 viewsswansealad69

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 20:08 - Aug 31 by JACKMANANDBOY

My Dad, into his 90s, Swansea born and bred, says Swansea could be one of the best cities in the world due to its location.

However, the best effort in town planning for Swansea unfortunately goes to the Luftwaffe.
[Post edited 31 Aug 2016 20:09]

Lol like the last bit.
And lets face it your dad is bang on
We could be a great city as our location is outstanding
But for far to long have we had poor locat authorities and now the welsh assembly
Who rips up the first passenger rail way in the world as a back hander to the local bus company?

Or moves the vicorian footbridge in order not to spoil the view off the retirement homes built by a local business man on the old st helens bathes site.
Then leave the 2 structures there looking pathetic and concrete the bridge on to the boke path half a mile away.

Honesty what were they thinking
Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 20:21 - Aug 31 with 1252 viewsexiledclaseboy

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 20:15 - Aug 31 by Gowerjack

Me too

I guess we are roughly the same age so do you think the city has improved in your lifetime?

Difficukt to say. Some areas and developments have improved thumbs but at the expense of the city centre, which is an embarrassment. On balance I'd say yes, it's improved. The trouble is that when people think back to how things were in their younger days they tend to use rise tints.

Poll: Tory leader

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 20:23 - Aug 31 with 1245 viewsGowerjack

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 20:18 - Aug 31 by swansealad69

Lol like the last bit.
And lets face it your dad is bang on
We could be a great city as our location is outstanding
But for far to long have we had poor locat authorities and now the welsh assembly
Who rips up the first passenger rail way in the world as a back hander to the local bus company?

Or moves the vicorian footbridge in order not to spoil the view off the retirement homes built by a local business man on the old st helens bathes site.
Then leave the 2 structures there looking pathetic and concrete the bridge on to the boke path half a mile away.

Honesty what were they thinking

Spot on regarding the Slip Bridge.

Then to add insult to injury leave the stanchions to fall into weed covered disrepair and right outside the Civic Centre.

Plastic since 1974

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 20:27 - Aug 31 with 1237 viewsGowerjack

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 20:21 - Aug 31 by exiledclaseboy

Difficukt to say. Some areas and developments have improved thumbs but at the expense of the city centre, which is an embarrassment. On balance I'd say yes, it's improved. The trouble is that when people think back to how things were in their younger days they tend to use rise tints.

I see where you are coming from but we seem to lack any civic pride in the City anymore.

It's as if no one cares.

PS nice use of Perchies keyboard....
[Post edited 31 Aug 2016 20:27]

Plastic since 1974

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 20:30 - Aug 31 with 1228 viewsjack247

I think comparing Swansea to its past is pretty pointless. Especially the city centre. Compare it to what it could/should be and to similar sized cities. Plymouth is a good comparison as its a similar size, on the coast and more or less as remote as we are. Town centres are both run down and tired.

Whichever city you go to, people of a certain generation will be able to remember it before internet shopping and out of town retail parks. I bet they will all tell you it was thriving 30/40 years ago.
Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 20:34 - Aug 31 with 1219 viewsGowerjack

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 20:30 - Aug 31 by jack247

I think comparing Swansea to its past is pretty pointless. Especially the city centre. Compare it to what it could/should be and to similar sized cities. Plymouth is a good comparison as its a similar size, on the coast and more or less as remote as we are. Town centres are both run down and tired.

Whichever city you go to, people of a certain generation will be able to remember it before internet shopping and out of town retail parks. I bet they will all tell you it was thriving 30/40 years ago.

Last time I was in Plymouth there was a massive new development taking place.

Actually it's a good comparison as both were bombed out by the Luftwaffe and substantially rebuilt in the 1950's.

Plastic since 1974

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 20:37 - Aug 31 with 1205 viewsjack247

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 20:34 - Aug 31 by Gowerjack

Last time I was in Plymouth there was a massive new development taking place.

Actually it's a good comparison as both were bombed out by the Luftwaffe and substantially rebuilt in the 1950's.

In fairness I haven't been there for 5 years at least. City centre was no better or worse than ours then. It may be now.
Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 20:38 - Aug 31 with 1204 viewsBanosswan

If the council really are serious about this regeneration I've been thinking. Loads more retail units on the saint David's site are not really what's needed as would they be filled and it's spreading out the centre more. However, if these are to be built, why not bulldoze the building with McDonalds, Primark, sports direct etc and offer some of the new units to these businesses. This land could then be landscaped with a park, trees, water features etc, giving an amazing outdoor space in the city centre, starting at the castle and ending at the market entrance by lush. Would brighten up the shop fronts off next, marks, (bhs) etc too.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 20:40 - Aug 31 with 1200 viewsGowerjack

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 20:37 - Aug 31 by jack247

In fairness I haven't been there for 5 years at least. City centre was no better or worse than ours then. It may be now.

I used to do some work down there the City centre is very similar to Swansea the architecture is from the same era.

Plastic since 1974

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 20:41 - Aug 31 with 1195 viewsGowerjack

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 20:38 - Aug 31 by Banosswan

If the council really are serious about this regeneration I've been thinking. Loads more retail units on the saint David's site are not really what's needed as would they be filled and it's spreading out the centre more. However, if these are to be built, why not bulldoze the building with McDonalds, Primark, sports direct etc and offer some of the new units to these businesses. This land could then be landscaped with a park, trees, water features etc, giving an amazing outdoor space in the city centre, starting at the castle and ending at the market entrance by lush. Would brighten up the shop fronts off next, marks, (bhs) etc too.

Good idea

Maybe we could call it Castle Gardens?
[Post edited 31 Aug 2016 20:42]

Plastic since 1974

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 20:47 - Aug 31 with 1181 viewsperchrockjack

Seems like most SWansea people share my sentiments.

Pity out if timers can't resist sticking their claws into what is Swansea s problem.

I've always held the view if you have a good job ,money ,house in good area then swanseaxis excellent place .

I was quite comfortable in Swansea as a kid. Thought it was great.

When I moved away ,I saw the attraction of living in a rural area near a large city.

Cardiff has an excellent centre and seems vibrant but it's not a place I d live out of choice

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024