Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? 19:09 - Aug 31 with 23655 viewsGowerjack

I'm Swansea born and bred,a Penlan boy.

One of our esteemed posters who has moved away almost always slags his hometown.

For my part I think the City has been let down for decades both by the local council and the London and WAG.

I mean look at the mess made of the City centre road network for the failed bendy bus project ( not to mention the unfortunate people who lost their lives because of it). Or what about the "Boulevard Project" which after months of traffic disruption ended up being a wider pavement!

Or to go back a little longer the disaster that is Castle Square or the failed Cafe Quarter?

Or knocking down David Evans and replacing it with the current ugly and underused building?

Poor planning decisions and a lack of investment centrally have really hurt us.

I defy anyone to walk from Dyfatty down High Steet,Orchard Street,the Kingsway & St Helens Rd to the Guildhall and tell me that our City has not been allowed to become a complete s hithole.

It's a real shame that this combination of poor decision making and focusing public money elsewhere has led to this as Swansea has a location and natural environment second to none.

I'm old enough to remember Swansea as a bustling friendly and clean City with a sense of purpose.

Not anymore.

Your views?

[Post edited 31 Aug 2016 19:11]

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 19:28 - Aug 31 with 4021 viewsperchrockjack

I AGREE WITH EVERY WORD OF THAT.
Its not slagging off just pointing out the fookn obvious

Swansea has been let down by WAG and local politicians and its those for whom I have contempt. But you knew that didn't you.

Its a place of great natural beauty run by a shower of clueless chunts over many decades who ve overseen a dramatic fall from grace.
Swansea really was a pleasant place -a vibrant place too ,and it had class, real class.

We ve seen real jobs evaporating in their thousands replaced by low paid short contract ones. We need to bring some wealth back,some meaning to the city ,some identity . No good looking to the beauty of Gower as it wont provide the mass of jobs lost .

It has much potential especially its football club but its unlikely to reach higher ground or so it seems

For those non Swansea people -just feck off as the post about OUR CITY .

THAT CLEAR

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 19:29 - Aug 31 with 3987 viewsDarran

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 19:28 - Aug 31 by perchrockjack

I AGREE WITH EVERY WORD OF THAT.
Its not slagging off just pointing out the fookn obvious

Swansea has been let down by WAG and local politicians and its those for whom I have contempt. But you knew that didn't you.

Its a place of great natural beauty run by a shower of clueless chunts over many decades who ve overseen a dramatic fall from grace.
Swansea really was a pleasant place -a vibrant place too ,and it had class, real class.

We ve seen real jobs evaporating in their thousands replaced by low paid short contract ones. We need to bring some wealth back,some meaning to the city ,some identity . No good looking to the beauty of Gower as it wont provide the mass of jobs lost .

It has much potential especially its football club but its unlikely to reach higher ground or so it seems

For those non Swansea people -just feck off as the post about OUR CITY .

THAT CLEAR

It's not YOUR CITY you f*cked off.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 19:29 - Aug 31 with 4013 viewsleighton1318

Ambition is critical
Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 19:31 - Aug 31 with 4006 viewsjack247

It's just a bog standard city. The centre is a shithole, agreed. It has rough parts and nice parts just like anywhere else.

The bars cafes and restaurants around La Parilla, Rasoi etc are great. That area is at least as good as the much hyped Cardiff Bay. Going up Fabian Way, the new university development beings people and employment to the place. All that area was a total pit not that long ago.

Wind St. Is pretty disappointing. Mumbles is getting older and more run down, but could easily be reinvigorated. Uplands is very good these days.

I don't think we appreciate Gower for what it is. The people of Leeds or Bristol would kill to have that on their doorstep.

Railway station is very basic and not situated in the friendliest part of town. Bus station is pretty good as bus stations go. That used to be awful too.

Are you talking about Swansea as a city, or, as your post suggests, the city centre in isolation?
Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 19:36 - Aug 31 with 3990 viewsdickythorpe

There's so much that the city has to offer. I'm the son of a Penlan boy and grandson of a Mayhill boy. They showed me so much and I treasure the memories as well as the places now.

It is true that investment is needed and some infrastructure needs to be totally shaken up, but where the hell else are you going to meet such characters and see so many views?

Got a text from my old man yesterday saying he was in Singleton Park and the views were fantastic, this same man who took me to the Vetch and St.Helens.

Took him to the Liberty for the first time 2 years ago as he'd been ill and the smile he had on his face listening to the Jack Army was something I'll never forget.

I'm taking him to St.Helens on Saturday and again I know he'll feel at ease and happy.

Do we realise enough of our city's history? We slag off the" now" ,but from where we've come from it's been a huge step forward.
[Post edited 31 Aug 2016 19:38]
Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 19:38 - Aug 31 with 3981 viewsjack247

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 19:29 - Aug 31 by Darran

It's not YOUR CITY you f*cked off.

I'm not surprised. He fcking hates the place!
Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 19:38 - Aug 31 with 3975 viewsperchrockjack

our city;read that.
You left BAGLAN ,HYPOCRITE

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 19:39 - Aug 31 with 3972 viewsDr_Winston

The city centre is bad, but no worse than places I've seen in Bristol, London or Manchester.

The retail sector has been killed by idiotic town planning. Encourage strip mall developments with free parking whilst making it increasingly difficult and expensive to take your own car into the city centre. People don't want to get the bus, so Fforestfach and Morfa thrive, whilst Oxford Street is pound and pawn shops.

The council also need to encourage investment by striking deals with developers. Let them get on with it and get out of the way as best they can. Promising signs on this with all the new student properties popping up, but more needs to be done. Offer incentives on council taxes if needs be, just get the cranes working.

Other parts of the city are really quite nice, although it sometimes does feel like two cities in one with a border drawn roughly in line with the prison. The North and East have a very different vibe to the Seafront and the West.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Login to get fewer ads

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 19:39 - Aug 31 with 3972 viewsGowerjack

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 19:31 - Aug 31 by jack247

It's just a bog standard city. The centre is a shithole, agreed. It has rough parts and nice parts just like anywhere else.

The bars cafes and restaurants around La Parilla, Rasoi etc are great. That area is at least as good as the much hyped Cardiff Bay. Going up Fabian Way, the new university development beings people and employment to the place. All that area was a total pit not that long ago.

Wind St. Is pretty disappointing. Mumbles is getting older and more run down, but could easily be reinvigorated. Uplands is very good these days.

I don't think we appreciate Gower for what it is. The people of Leeds or Bristol would kill to have that on their doorstep.

Railway station is very basic and not situated in the friendliest part of town. Bus station is pretty good as bus stations go. That used to be awful too.

Are you talking about Swansea as a city, or, as your post suggests, the city centre in isolation?

The City as a whole although I take your point about me focusing on the centre.

Plastic since 1974

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 19:43 - Aug 31 with 3918 viewsDarran

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 19:38 - Aug 31 by jack247

I'm not surprised. He fcking hates the place!

Exactly that's why he f*cked off.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 19:43 - Aug 31 with 3944 viewsJack11

I moved here 15 years ago and love this place dearly. Yes economically it is ignored compared to Cardiff and is a bit rough around the edges but so is nearly every other place in Wales - trust me, I moved here from the rural west and I still can't get mobile signal when I go back! There has been development since I've been here too, virtually non stop large projects that have improved things - perhaps you just need to have come from away to realise that. You should be proud to come from this city - a great place to live.
Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 19:44 - Aug 31 with 3932 viewsjack247

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 19:39 - Aug 31 by Gowerjack

The City as a whole although I take your point about me focusing on the centre.

The city centre is shit. No arguments from me there. The rest of the city is pretty much identikit with good bits and bad bits. The bonus of its coastal location, which could also be looked at as a negative as we are so isolated and therefore find it harder to attract visitors and investment.
Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 19:45 - Aug 31 with 3925 viewsJackfath

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 19:43 - Aug 31 by Jack11

I moved here 15 years ago and love this place dearly. Yes economically it is ignored compared to Cardiff and is a bit rough around the edges but so is nearly every other place in Wales - trust me, I moved here from the rural west and I still can't get mobile signal when I go back! There has been development since I've been here too, virtually non stop large projects that have improved things - perhaps you just need to have come from away to realise that. You should be proud to come from this city - a great place to live.

Well said.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 19:46 - Aug 31 with 3920 viewsswansealad69

I love swansea and a proud jack
But have to say the city center is a total sh $t hole
We have had poor local authorities for far to long with no idea on how to make the most off the bac and the fact we have a city center on the bay.
The so called welsh assembly has put all its eggs and money in to cardiff
What i would like to know what are our am's doing?
U only have to look at cardiff to see there is a problem with funding outside off it.
We have such a perfect location on the bay with stunning walks along the front and views
But its all going to waist.
There is no imagration with our council and clearly no get up and go
We are not a forward looking city and to easly let our city center fall into a deselect place
Only today i walked in to town and there are shops closed or pound shops charity shops or coffee shops
Now we have a huge empty shop after bhs closed
Opisit that u have the empty space in under the gym
It makes me angry to see all that is spent on cardiff yet there is no fuss kicked up by our local paper our council
Our am's are in privileged positions with good pay expenses and so but are doing fu#k all to move our city forward
Wales is one off the least prosperous areas off the uk
Yet cardiff is second to london as the fastest growing citys in the uk?
Its a joke and the assembly have eyes for cardiff only and add that to our lazy that will do attitude off our council the future looks very bleak indeed
Its only a matter off time that Newport becomes the second city with more opportunities and being closer to cardiff to commute to.
Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 19:48 - Aug 31 with 3903 viewsGowerjack

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 19:31 - Aug 31 by jack247

The new university development is actually in Neath.

Just saying.

Plastic since 1974

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 19:49 - Aug 31 with 3893 viewsSkewenMitch

The city centre is rundown as a shopping area because of out of town............Which helped to pay for the Liberty.
But the Lower Swansea Valley where I grew up was like the face of the moon. Ugly industrial slag heeps. To see waht I mean watch "Lower Swansea Valley 1963" on YOUTube.
I have just come home from Leicester and Coventry. Coventry is a nice place. But Swansea and tired old Mumbles is a wonderful place to live today.
Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 19:49 - Aug 31 with 3889 viewsAnotherJohn

I chose to come back in the early 1990s after some years away because quite simply Swansea was the place where I wanted to live. At that time I much preferred our city to Nottingham and Oxford, the two cities I had working in around that time. I accept all the stuff about lack of investment and the appearance of St Helens Road et cetera, but still think the city can be rescued. On a sunny day last week I was sitting in a small boat just off Mumbles thinking how lucky my teenage son and I are to live here. There are positives - the marina area, Mumbles, the university and the football club stand out for me. The last is crucially important for the city, which is why I think some of us are very uneasy about the way this season is starting.
Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 19:50 - Aug 31 with 3886 viewsJackfath

Perhaps the people that live here should visit other cities before slating the place where they live. That way they would have some perspective.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 19:51 - Aug 31 with 3881 viewsjack247

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 19:48 - Aug 31 by Gowerjack

The new university development is actually in Neath.

Just saying.

The one on Fabian Way?
Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 19:52 - Aug 31 with 3867 viewsGowerjack

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 19:51 - Aug 31 by jack247

The one on Fabian Way?

Yes.

It's outside of the CCS boundary.

By that I mean the one opposite Amazon not proposed development in SA1.
[Post edited 31 Aug 2016 19:54]

Plastic since 1974

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 19:53 - Aug 31 with 3862 viewsVetchitBack

Naturally pretty. Shitty city (centre) which never had much of chance against the Luftwaffe and chronic neglect.

As a born and bred and proud Swansea Jack I'd say the people of the city can be our best asset and biggest fault.

But then I've only grown up in one city so maybe everyone everywhere is cheeky and aggressive but with a cracking sense of humour.

Saying that there have been places which have made me appreciate Swansea. Amsterdam, Blackpool, Swindon and the inner urban areas of nearly every big city in this country.
[Post edited 31 Aug 2016 19:59]

The orthodox are always orthodox, regardless of the orthodoxy.

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 19:54 - Aug 31 with 3845 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Isn't the Celtic manor owner terry Matthews going to rebuild our pretty city ?

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 19:55 - Aug 31 with 3835 viewsSkewenMitch

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 19:52 - Aug 31 by Gowerjack

Yes.

It's actually in Coedfranc (Skewen). Which has the second highest council tax in Wales
Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 19:56 - Aug 31 with 3827 viewsjack247

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 19:52 - Aug 31 by Gowerjack

Yes.

Fair enough. It's certainly not in Neath, even if it comes under NPTCBC.
Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 19:56 - Aug 31 with 3820 viewsGowerjack

Swansea - what does everyone think of our City? on 19:54 - Aug 31 by oh_tommy_tommy

Isn't the Celtic manor owner terry Matthews going to rebuild our pretty city ?

Yes

Odd how he remembered his time as a student at Swansea University and love for the City at the same time that the council started touting the Country Hall site to all and sundry....

Plastic since 1974

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024