Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Little old Swansea 19:27 - Aug 31 with 4222 viewsjesushchrist

With Williams going to Everton and looking like them pinching Valencia at the eleventh hour, I wonder how many teams would be classed smaller than ourselves.
Apart from them being taken over and having some money thrown at it I honestly don't see Everton as a bigger team, being in the league since day one doesn't make a big team.

Little old Swansea on 21:20 - Aug 31 with 1037 viewspencoedjack

Little old Swansea on 21:14 - Aug 31 by tylagarwjack

Well I hope it does continue but you'd have to say the quality in their team should mean they rise up the table, no guarantees of course.

I'd imagine Newcastle were feeling the same last season
Little old Swansea on 21:23 - Aug 31 with 1028 viewstylagarwjack

Little old Swansea on 21:20 - Aug 31 by pencoedjack

I'd imagine Newcastle were feeling the same last season

Not a comparable situation in the slightest, Stoke are a stable, well run club.
Little old Swansea on 21:29 - Aug 31 with 1005 viewsclloy2

Little old Swansea on 21:04 - Aug 31 by pencoedjack

Lets see if Stokes new centre forward scores more than our new one hey fella

They paid over the odds for Joey too.
[Post edited 31 Aug 2016 21:05]

Fortunately we don't have M.Hughes holding us back.
Little old Swansea on 21:32 - Aug 31 with 984 viewstylagarwjack

Little old Swansea on 21:29 - Aug 31 by clloy2

Well I think Stoke will do reasonably well despite having Hughes in charge.
Little old Swansea on 21:37 - Aug 31 with 974 viewspencoedjack

Little old Swansea on 21:23 - Aug 31 by tylagarwjack

Not a comparable situation in the slightest, Stoke are a stable, well run club.

Call me optimistic adding 2 players who warmed the bench for their respective sides last season doesn't scare me.

Nor do any of the others

Bruno Martins Indi - Porto, loan

Joe Allen - Liverpool, £13m

Ramadan Sobhi - Al Ahly, £5m

Ryan Sweeney - AFC Wimbledon, undisclosed

Lee Grant - Derby, loan

Wilfried Bony - Man City, loan

Cameron McJannett - Luton, undisclosed

Because Wilf & Joey are ex players they are world beaters.
Little old Swansea on 21:40 - Aug 31 with 957 viewstylagarwjack

Little old Swansea on 21:37 - Aug 31 by pencoedjack

Call me optimistic adding 2 players who warmed the bench for their respective sides last season doesn't scare me.

Nor do any of the others

Bruno Martins Indi - Porto, loan

Joe Allen - Liverpool, £13m

Ramadan Sobhi - Al Ahly, £5m

Ryan Sweeney - AFC Wimbledon, undisclosed

Lee Grant - Derby, loan

Wilfried Bony - Man City, loan

Cameron McJannett - Luton, undisclosed

Because Wilf & Joey are ex players they are world beaters.

Who said anything about world beaters? They finished top half with an already good squad, despite having Hughes in charge and have added at least two players that I for one would have liked to have seen in our squad ideally. Would you really prefer our squad to theirs? Yes they've had a ropey start but they are nothing like the basket case that Newcastle were/are.
Little old Swansea on 21:48 - Aug 31 with 930 viewsSmellyplumz

Little old Swansea on 21:29 - Aug 31 by clloy2

No we have Huw Jenkins and the yanks holding us back, much better position.

""Although I cannot promise or predict the future, I can guarantee one thing - the current board of directors will always fight, as we have done over the last 12 years, to work together as one with the Supporters Trust to make 100% sure that Swansea City football club remains the number one priority in all our thoughts and in every decision we make."
Poll: Huw Jenkins

Little old Swansea on 22:04 - Aug 31 with 889 viewsblaine_scfc

Little old Swansea on 21:14 - Aug 31 by morningstar

We can't keep pulling rabbits out of the hat forever. We either become able to compete financially with clubs like Stoke (or anyone else for that matter) or we fall behind them. It's not difficult too understand that surely. Though it does seem that you are at least starting too recognise the fact "(although I'm not so sure now after the last 12 months or so - we seem to be going backwards a bit). "

We haven't pulled rabbits out of the hat since Laudrup left. Hence our squad getting weaker each transfer window.

It's time for Jenkins to go.
Login to get fewer ads

Little old Swansea on 22:22 - Aug 31 with 855 viewstylagarwjack

Little old Swansea on 22:04 - Aug 31 by blaine_scfc

We haven't pulled rabbits out of the hat since Laudrup left. Hence our squad getting weaker each transfer window.

I think the most telling thing is to compare our preferred starting line up now compared to two years ago and it's very similar but we are probably weaker in two key positions, centre back and striker. Laudrup said once that you had to invest to stand still in the prem and he was right. Yes it's a team effort but the three key players last year were Ayew, Ash and Gylfi, if one or more of those had got injured long term we'd have been in the brown stuff and two of them have since left.

Ok we have broken our transfer record but for a player who needs to adapt to a new league, Llorente the same. We are taking a serious risk by not replacing Williams with a seasoned player, yes all transfers carry a risk but the degree of risk is the key.

Either HJ's head is firmly up his a**e and thinks we can continue to buck the trend re investment in squad and doing well in the Prem or he's under instruction, either way we are winging it big style IMO.
[Post edited 31 Aug 2016 22:23]
Little old Swansea on 22:24 - Aug 31 with 847 viewsmorningstar

Little old Swansea on 22:04 - Aug 31 by blaine_scfc

Really? Did we not pull a rabbit out of the hat just a few weeks ago by selling a player for £20.5m whom we signed 12 months earlier for a £4.75m signing on fee? It's those rabbits i'm talking about Blaine. Either way, it can't go on, we've lost our pull, we either have to compete financially or we will fall behind as i previously stated. Anyone who thinks otherwise is in cloud cuckoo land.

Only winner of Planetswans Petulant Diva award.
Poll: Southampton home next. How many points

Little old Swansea on 22:32 - Aug 31 with 825 viewsjesushchrist

Little old Swansea on 22:24 - Aug 31 by morningstar

Really? Did we not pull a rabbit out of the hat just a few weeks ago by selling a player for £20.5m whom we signed 12 months earlier for a £4.75m signing on fee? It's those rabbits i'm talking about Blaine. Either way, it can't go on, we've lost our pull, we either have to compete financially or we will fall behind as i previously stated. Anyone who thinks otherwise is in cloud cuckoo land.

It has been a disappointing window without a doubt, the only saving grace for me though is the absurd prices being paid for bang average players.
Little old Swansea on 22:33 - Aug 31 with 820 viewsblaine_scfc

Little old Swansea on 22:24 - Aug 31 by morningstar

I see what you mean, but lots on bere thought we were better off without Ayew in the squad, can't argue with the funds we recouped, but where's it too now?

It is what it is this season for me, was expecting a struggle prior, nothing I have seen since has changed my mind. Just saw a good tweet off a seans fan on Twitter: Gylfi out of form, Borja not fit, 50% of goals conceded coming in the way of set pieces, still playing Routledge.

Not spending is fine, long term stability of the club and all that jazz, but we ain't staying in this league long with HJ in charge of recruitment.
Little old Swansea on 22:38 - Aug 31 with 806 viewsMrSwerve

The majority of the Premier League and a handful of Championship teams are 'bigger' than us and that's a fact.

We've massively punched above our weight for the past 6 or 7 years.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Little old Swansea on 22:45 - Aug 31 with 777 viewsLandore_Jack

Little old Swansea on 22:38 - Aug 31 by MrSwerve

The majority of the Premier League and a handful of Championship teams are 'bigger' than us and that's a fact.

Bournmouth are a small club. At least they have shown ambition in this transfer window.

#backtojack

Little old Swansea on 22:46 - Aug 31 with 771 viewscostalotta

Yes this is true. But each year we should building, tweaking and improving little by little. I don't think you could argue that we have achieved that. I think most of us recognise deficiencies in our first 11 let alone squad. These are real weaknesses as it looks likely were not addressing them now we will not be punching above our weight much longer.
Little old Swansea on 22:46 - Aug 31 with 700 viewslondonlisa2001

Not based on income we haven't. Nor on player salaries.
Little old Swansea on 22:49 - Aug 31 with 684 viewsMrSwerve

Little old Swansea on 22:46 - Aug 31 by londonlisa2001

Not based on income we haven't. Nor on player salaries.

Depends how you judge a 'big' club really. Always debatable.

Little old Swansea on 22:50 - Aug 31 with 677 viewstylagarwjack

True, but we used to out perform bigger teams both on the pitch and in the transfer market by having a honed style of play and by boxing clever respectively. We seemed to have moved away from both of these sets of principles.

Ok the prem is getting tougher as even the likes of Bournemouth have a backer now and we don't but making a profit on our transfer dealings while trimming the squad at every opportunity and getting our highest earners off the wage bill does make you wonder what our philosophy is now, and indeed, whether we have one.
Little old Swansea on 22:52 - Aug 31 with 666 viewslondonlisa2001

Little old Swansea on 22:49 - Aug 31 by MrSwerve

Depends how you judge a 'big' club really. Always debatable.

In terms of spending money it'll be earning money.

I've no problem in us not spending speculatively.

I have a MASSIVE problem in us not even spending what we've brought in when there are such weaknesses.

It's an absolute disgrace.
Little old Swansea on 22:53 - Aug 31 with 663 viewsmorningstar

Little old Swansea on 22:33 - Aug 31 by blaine_scfc

I see what you mean, but lots on bere thought we were better off without Ayew in the squad, can't argue with the funds we recouped, but where's it too now?

It is what it is this season for me, was expecting a struggle prior, nothing I have seen since has changed my mind. Just saw a good tweet off a seans fan on Twitter: Gylfi out of form, Borja not fit, 50% of goals conceded coming in the way of set pieces, still playing Routledge.

Not spending is fine, long term stability of the club and all that jazz, but we ain't staying in this league long with HJ in charge of recruitment.

We are not going to stay in this league any longer than a season at a time Blaine. You ask where are the profits? Where are the losses? Tabanou, Paloshi, Eder, etc! These are players we've lost millions on who've hardly played for us! It's not all about the profits, People have to realise that. There's more to the financial side than selling players on for big fees.

Only winner of Planetswans Petulant Diva award.
Poll: Southampton home next. How many points

Little old Swansea on 22:56 - Aug 31 with 627 viewsMrSwerve

We need to pray that Baston bloody delivers, that's for sure.

Little old Swansea on 23:00 - Aug 31 with 602 viewsjesushchrist

Little old Swansea on 22:56 - Aug 31 by MrSwerve

We need to pray that Baston bloody delivers, that's for sure.

Does it matter? We are already relegated by 90% of the posters on here.
Little old Swansea on 23:04 - Aug 31 with 577 viewstylagarwjack

Little old Swansea on 22:53 - Aug 31 by morningstar

We are not going to stay in this league any longer than a season at a time Blaine. You ask where are the profits? Where are the losses? Tabanou, Paloshi, Eder, etc! These are players we've lost millions on who've hardly played for us! It's not all about the profits, People have to realise that. There's more to the financial side than selling players on for big fees.

Every club makes mistakes in the transfer market but this highlights how poor we've been, Ayew aside, in the last couple of years.

The 70% increase in TV deal for this seasons should help soften the blow for us though and we've helped ourselves financially today by offloading marvellous Marvin and Fa(n)t(astic) Franck!
Little old Swansea on 23:06 - Aug 31 with 563 viewsowainglyndwr

Little old Swansea on 23:00 - Aug 31 by jesushchrist

Can you honestly say you can see us stayimg up

If so how
Little old Swansea on 23:09 - Aug 31 with 541 viewstylagarwjack

Little old Swansea on 23:00 - Aug 31 by jesushchrist

I don't think everyone is saying that but you have to say this transfer window has been p**s poor overall?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024