Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Formation 12:54 - Sep 1 with 4084 viewslondonlisa2001

So, we are left with what we have at the moment and it's not all that pretty.

Thoughts turn to how we can compete this year, with what we have.

It seems to me we have a few glaring weaknesses, not least at the back, where we've looked incredibly shaky so far. Equally, we've looked toothless going forward, with a lack of creativity particularly from our wide players.

I was wondering if using this international break to try a new formation may be worthwhile.

Given the centre backs that we have, would it be worth trying a 'Wales type' formation where we have Amat and Mawson either side of VDH (as the tallest of the defenders) with FF as backup?

We could then play Kingsley and Naughton as wing backs (both being relatively quick and with at least some ability to cross the ball), have three in midfield that are less defensively focused (maybe Fer, Ki, Siggy, all rotating to some degree), and two of Baston, Llorente, Barrow, possibly Routledge up front.

It may not be the most attacking of formations, but at least shores us up. We could move to a 4 3 3 with Llorente, Baston and Barrow up front, bring Cork in for one of Fer or Ki, and go to 4 at the back as an alternative.

I am not certain it would work, but think it may be better than our current 4 2 3 1 set up, where we have a shaky defence and a big gap to the '1' up front when Gylfi is off form.
Formation on 12:57 - Sep 1 with 3260 viewscostalotta

Well I'd argue that we don't really have the right personal for our preferred formation. With that in mind the 3 at the back option is intriguing as we do have the players to execute it. Whether we'd be anybody is another matter.

I think it can be an attacking formation too and in that sense maybe we could play both Baston and llorente or Baston and barrow in the two up front. Midfield of ki, cork and for could work well.
Formation on 13:04 - Sep 1 with 3229 viewslondonlisa2001

Formation on 12:57 - Sep 1 by costalotta

Well I'd argue that we don't really have the right personal for our preferred formation. With that in mind the 3 at the back option is intriguing as we do have the players to execute it. Whether we'd be anybody is another matter.

I think it can be an attacking formation too and in that sense maybe we could play both Baston and llorente or Baston and barrow in the two up front. Midfield of ki, cork and for could work well.

Baston and Barrow may work in a 5 3 2 as Barrow would provide the pace that system needs.
Formation on 13:06 - Sep 1 with 3212 viewsHighjack

Would Huw allow a change of formation?

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Formation on 13:09 - Sep 1 with 3194 viewscostalotta

Formation on 13:04 - Sep 1 by londonlisa2001

Baston and Barrow may work in a 5 3 2 as Barrow would provide the pace that system needs.

That's what I was alluding to.

The downside is that we don't have enough options in terms of replacements. We got plenty of average and older wingers who could play as the second striker. Not sure wher siggy would fit and and I'd worry that It could also render him obsolete?

Oh, what have I just done....expect siggy to b sold in January.
Formation on 13:11 - Sep 1 with 3177 viewsHighjack

Playing the likes of Barrow down the middle would make the opposition defence think twice about pushing up and compressing the space which in turn would give the likes of Siggy more time and space that he is desperately starved of at the moment.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Formation on 13:12 - Sep 1 with 3179 viewslondonlisa2001

Formation on 13:09 - Sep 1 by costalotta

That's what I was alluding to.

The downside is that we don't have enough options in terms of replacements. We got plenty of average and older wingers who could play as the second striker. Not sure wher siggy would fit and and I'd worry that It could also render him obsolete?

Oh, what have I just done....expect siggy to b sold in January.

I'd put Ki, Fer and Siggy as the three in midfield and drop Cork as we wouldn't need a defensively minded midfielder as such with the three at the back? Siggy plays more centrally for Iceland so it could work if they all rotate, which will potentially give us more creativity.

The systems tends to work with ball playing centre backs (two of them) which we may now have?
Formation on 13:14 - Sep 1 with 3166 viewsperchrockjack

What s got to me has been how easily average teams can rip us. I fear for us v Chelsea.

Hopefully, all our forebodings will be assuaged and we ll be ok but at this stage, matters look truly worrying.

Amat needs binning if only for the fact he s a red card walking .

Fernandez is also a sieve of a defender.

I m hoping guido looks at Mawson closely and plays him. If he s class he ll adapt. We cannot do much worse.

We also need to find a true captain

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Formation on 13:14 - Sep 1 with 3164 viewscostalotta

Formation on 13:12 - Sep 1 by londonlisa2001

I'd put Ki, Fer and Siggy as the three in midfield and drop Cork as we wouldn't need a defensively minded midfielder as such with the three at the back? Siggy plays more centrally for Iceland so it could work if they all rotate, which will potentially give us more creativity.

The systems tends to work with ball playing centre backs (two of them) which we may now have?

Good call.
Login to get fewer ads

Formation on 13:16 - Sep 1 with 3149 viewslondonlisa2001

Formation on 13:11 - Sep 1 by Highjack

Playing the likes of Barrow down the middle would make the opposition defence think twice about pushing up and compressing the space which in turn would give the likes of Siggy more time and space that he is desperately starved of at the moment.

Exactly what I was thinking. It's what Bale does so well (I am NOT comparing the two...)

I just don't think our 'wingers' work really, so was trying to think of a way round it with the squad we have.

We could then use the wingers as a plan C (the 4 3 3 being plan B).

The formation would also allow us to use Britton in a better way, as he is good at linking up defence and attack, but just doesn't have the legs anymore for our current formation, he could slot into the midfield 3 in this set up, as could Cork,

As an added bonus, Taylor is used to the system, and Rangel could work better as a wing back these days, with less running back all the time (where his lack of pace lets him down). So we have back up across the board.
Formation on 13:27 - Sep 1 with 3114 viewsSmellyplumz

Formation on 13:16 - Sep 1 by londonlisa2001

Exactly what I was thinking. It's what Bale does so well (I am NOT comparing the two...)

I just don't think our 'wingers' work really, so was trying to think of a way round it with the squad we have.

The formation would also allow us to use Britton in a better way, as he is good at linking up defence and attack, but just doesn't have the legs anymore for our current formation, he could slot into the midfield 3 in this set up, as could Cork,

As an added bonus, Taylor is used to the system, and Rangel could work better as a wing back these days, with less running back all the time (where his lack of pace lets him down). So we have back up across the board.

Send this in a letter to Francesco

""Although I cannot promise or predict the future, I can guarantee one thing - the current board of directors will always fight, as we have done over the last 12 years, to work together as one with the Supporters Trust to make 100% sure that Swansea City football club remains the number one priority in all our thoughts and in every decision we make."
Poll: Huw Jenkins

Formation on 13:30 - Sep 1 with 3101 viewscostalotta

Formation on 13:27 - Sep 1 by Smellyplumz

Send this in a letter to Francesco

For god sake don't cc HJ in though.
Formation on 13:34 - Sep 1 with 3090 viewsFireboy

I've mentioned this in another topic after the hull game

We have become predictable in attack (especially at home) and weak in defence since losing ash

We need to adapt,to have a plan b and c but do we have the personnel to do it?

Imo a 5 3 2 would be a very good formation,having 3 ch's with naughton and kingsley getting forward more often but I would have a defensive midfielder ideally Leon behind 2 attacking midfielders in siggy and fer,they would have a free rein to get forward more to help the 2 strikers in baston and lorente

We could play 5 3 2 in away games and play defensively ala hull and 3 5 2 in the home games against the weaker teams,having 2 up front makes it harder for teams to come to the liberty to sit back and hit us on the break

Food for thought,hopefully guidolin has it all in hand
Formation on 13:37 - Sep 1 with 3071 viewsPozuelosSideys

Barrow will probaby be away at the ACON in Jan Feb too

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

Formation on 13:44 - Sep 1 with 3045 viewscostalotta

Formation on 13:37 - Sep 1 by PozuelosSideys

Has his country qualified?
Formation on 13:44 - Sep 1 with 3043 viewslondonlisa2001

Formation on 13:37 - Sep 1 by PozuelosSideys

Ah, but think of the players we'll have signed in the January window

Formation on 13:47 - Sep 1 with 3027 viewsPozuelosSideys

Formation on 13:44 - Sep 1 by costalotta

Not sure actually. I hope not. Would at least be a tiny positive

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

Formation on 13:51 - Sep 1 with 3014 viewsperchrockjack

Plenty of thought from posters but just hope guido is.

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Formation on 13:54 - Sep 1 with 2991 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Formation on 13:44 - Sep 1 by costalotta

No.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Formation on 14:08 - Sep 1 with 2947 viewsmonmouth

For all the haplessness of the Fernandezamatocaust I think they've had zero protection in front of them or much cover from the full backs. I would like Fer told to track his bloody man and Cork told that opposition don't get 15 yards of space to run at the two centre backs (and hence let them dive in like park players). I'd like all of our players to be told to press the opposition on the ball, and that's for the full 90. If you can't do that, get fit, because it's your frigging job.

Other than that, I think the whole crowd should cross their fingers whilst playing yankee doodle dandy through the medium of their integrated rear wind instruments.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Formation on 14:33 - Sep 1 with 2880 viewsjasper_T

Formation on 14:08 - Sep 1 by monmouth

For all the haplessness of the Fernandezamatocaust I think they've had zero protection in front of them or much cover from the full backs. I would like Fer told to track his bloody man and Cork told that opposition don't get 15 yards of space to run at the two centre backs (and hence let them dive in like park players). I'd like all of our players to be told to press the opposition on the ball, and that's for the full 90. If you can't do that, get fit, because it's your frigging job.

Other than that, I think the whole crowd should cross their fingers whilst playing yankee doodle dandy through the medium of their integrated rear wind instruments.

Just work harder, mun.

Not every squad is on Leicester-tech, pressing for 90 minutes isn't normal.
Formation on 14:35 - Sep 1 with 2873 viewsmax936

I think with Ki it'll depend on whether he's woken up to the fact that he's a footballer let alone a Premier league one, because most of his showings last season were abject to say the least, which was really disappointing considering his undoubted talent.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Formation on 14:43 - Sep 1 with 2843 viewsjasper_T

Formation on 14:35 - Sep 1 by max936

I think with Ki it'll depend on whether he's woken up to the fact that he's a footballer let alone a Premier league one, because most of his showings last season were abject to say the least, which was really disappointing considering his undoubted talent.

He doesn't seem to match well with Cork. His partnership with Shelvey was a lot more effective.
Formation on 15:53 - Sep 1 with 2779 viewskarnataka

Formation on 14:43 - Sep 1 by jasper_T

He doesn't seem to match well with Cork. His partnership with Shelvey was a lot more effective.

Are you suggesting we sell him to Newcastle then?
Formation on 15:59 - Sep 1 with 2756 viewsmax936

Formation on 14:43 - Sep 1 by jasper_T

They did seem to have a understanding together and seemed to get on well.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Formation on 16:02 - Sep 1 with 2742 viewskarnataka

Formation on 13:16 - Sep 1 by londonlisa2001

I'm warming to this idea. Doesn't FG have past form for using this formation?

Choosing a formation that suits the players we've got? Whatever next?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024