Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Everyone hates the Welsh language 17:39 - Sep 23 with 26265 viewsDarran

lol

http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/carmarthen-bookshop-fails-to-sell-welsh-

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 17:45 - Sep 27 with 3091 viewsWingstandwood

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 17:08 - Sep 27 by nice_to_michu

Predictable

Agree!.... And?..... I had a premonition that you would say that also! We are two minds alike! Because?.... Both you and myself are nothing but a pair of 'pseudo-intellectual/jumped-up-pair-of-little-tw#ts' armed with a spell-checker.

The trouble is?..... I get the inkling everybody has started to notice!

Argus!

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 18:04 - Sep 27 with 3074 viewsnice_to_michu

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 17:45 - Sep 27 by Wingstandwood

Agree!.... And?..... I had a premonition that you would say that also! We are two minds alike! Because?.... Both you and myself are nothing but a pair of 'pseudo-intellectual/jumped-up-pair-of-little-tw#ts' armed with a spell-checker.

The trouble is?..... I get the inkling everybody has started to notice!

Sounds like you have it all figured out.
Everyone hates the Welsh language on 18:09 - Sep 27 with 3065 viewsWingstandwood

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 18:04 - Sep 27 by nice_to_michu

Sounds like you have it all figured out.

Exactly! Bang on........

Argus!

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 18:42 - Sep 27 with 3044 viewsvalleycommando

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 13:31 - Sep 27 by LeonisGod

The Welsh language has a long history of use that it's speakers can feel rightly proud of. It should be celebrated, not ridiculed by non-speakers.

I was brought up in a totally Welsh speaking home - when I started school and came home speaking English I quickly realised that my mother would not respond to me unless I spoke Welsh. I have continued to speak Welsh (and perfect English) but when I went to work in a Welsh medium school in the Gwent valleys I was looked down upon by other staff members (most of whom were from Cardiff) as I spoke with a local dialect and did not speak 'BBC Wales' Welsh - fortunately I gave them the 2 fingers and continued to speak with my local dialect which, linguistically, was perfectly correct.
Unfortunately today the Welsh language is seen as a means to an end - to get a job in the media or government. I also feel that it is being forced on us in official communications and in business when the need really is n't there and we have to pay for that privilege : Asda self service tills now have a choice for using through the medium of Welsh and how many use the Welsh option on ATM machines ? I don't and I am a Welsh speaker !.
Parents send their children to Welsh school, not for the sake of the language, but they believe the standard of education is better and their offspring will have better career prospects. How sad then that so few children use the language outside the school environment and therefore only associate it with school and not as a means of communication. And by the way, I still speak Welsh with a local dialect but am ashamed how it's been manipulated.
Hope the Welsh Language Police have n't got a spy on Planet Swans !!
Everyone hates the Welsh language on 21:19 - Sep 27 with 3018 viewsKilkennyjack

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 18:42 - Sep 27 by valleycommando

I was brought up in a totally Welsh speaking home - when I started school and came home speaking English I quickly realised that my mother would not respond to me unless I spoke Welsh. I have continued to speak Welsh (and perfect English) but when I went to work in a Welsh medium school in the Gwent valleys I was looked down upon by other staff members (most of whom were from Cardiff) as I spoke with a local dialect and did not speak 'BBC Wales' Welsh - fortunately I gave them the 2 fingers and continued to speak with my local dialect which, linguistically, was perfectly correct.
Unfortunately today the Welsh language is seen as a means to an end - to get a job in the media or government. I also feel that it is being forced on us in official communications and in business when the need really is n't there and we have to pay for that privilege : Asda self service tills now have a choice for using through the medium of Welsh and how many use the Welsh option on ATM machines ? I don't and I am a Welsh speaker !.
Parents send their children to Welsh school, not for the sake of the language, but they believe the standard of education is better and their offspring will have better career prospects. How sad then that so few children use the language outside the school environment and therefore only associate it with school and not as a means of communication. And by the way, I still speak Welsh with a local dialect but am ashamed how it's been manipulated.
Hope the Welsh Language Police have n't got a spy on Planet Swans !!

Or maybe its a story to be so proud of .....?

800 years of scorn, ridicule, and oppression right next to the language which dominates the business world. And still it survived at the hearth and in the chapels.

How marvellous that people recognise the benefits of bi-lingual education, - and the demand for places outstrips the supply of places. Having 2 languages is normal across the world.

Cherish the language and be kind to the language.
I say all this as an english speaking welshman.

How fantastic it was to hear welsh language singing at Euro16. Magnifique.

Beware of the Risen People

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 21:25 - Sep 27 with 3010 viewsLeonisGod

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 21:19 - Sep 27 by Kilkennyjack

800 years of scorn, ridicule, and oppression right next to the language which dominates the business world. And still it survived at the hearth and in the chapels.

How marvellous that people recognise the benefits of bi-lingual education, - and the demand for places outstrips the supply of places. Having 2 languages is normal across the world.

I agree with that as a non-Welsh speaking Englishman. It's part of a unique identity that should be nurtured and people should be proud of. What a boring world it would be without cultural and linguistic differences.
Everyone hates the Welsh language on 21:58 - Sep 27 with 2999 viewsRevJames

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 13:47 - Sep 27 by nice_to_michu

Sure, no reason they can't be proud of it.

There is also no reason that the majority (if they wanted to) could stop paying for its promotion/preservation.

In Switzerland, German, Italian, French and Romansh are all spoken in different regions which helps create a culturally rich country.

I can't think of any other country with its own unique language other than Wales where they'd be having this depressing conversation
[Post edited 27 Sep 2016 21:59]
Everyone hates the Welsh language on 22:18 - Sep 27 with 2984 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 21:19 - Sep 27 by Kilkennyjack

Superb post sir

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Login to get fewer ads

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 22:32 - Sep 27 with 2978 viewsperchrockjack

Cherish your fellow man first and foremost no matter what language

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 22:36 - Sep 27 with 2972 viewsLeonisGod

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 22:32 - Sep 27 by perchrockjack

Cherish your fellow man first and foremost no matter what language

It's possible to do both 👍
Everyone hates the Welsh language on 22:55 - Sep 27 with 2963 viewsperchrockjack

Indeed it is but my posts are made in the context of others on here.

Consider trampie and his open racist dickspeak.

Wales is a poor country ..fact... We need to concentrate on our kids learning languages thst matter in business..please let nobody drag up Welsh into the argument.

Mandarin, French, Spanish, German, Japanese ate of far greater use in world wide business.

It's inward looking bullshite that s been posted on this thread.

Consider this post and the insults that will follow as were the ones made previous.

Let's grow up and face the big world eh.

We ain't a village in lleyn are we obsessed with hating the english

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 23:08 - Sep 27 with 2955 viewslifelong

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 22:55 - Sep 27 by perchrockjack

Indeed it is but my posts are made in the context of others on here.

Consider trampie and his open racist dickspeak.

Wales is a poor country ..fact... We need to concentrate on our kids learning languages thst matter in business..please let nobody drag up Welsh into the argument.

Mandarin, French, Spanish, German, Japanese ate of far greater use in world wide business.

It's inward looking bullshite that s been posted on this thread.

Consider this post and the insults that will follow as were the ones made previous.

Let's grow up and face the big world eh.

We ain't a village in lleyn are we obsessed with hating the english

I like Trampie, he never insults other posters.
Everyone hates the Welsh language on 23:13 - Sep 27 with 2948 viewsperchrockjack

I really am in the bath with lady p discussing the day.

I've not read what you ve said but I can guess

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 10:48 - Sep 28 with 2878 viewsCatullus

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 15:08 - Sep 27 by Wingstandwood

Lohengrin (and some others) are evidently more intelligent/less naive than you and it is understandable that you would get lost!

I get lost myself at times on here also, albeit a little less than yourself. The trick is not to overstretch yourself on here and refrain from debate that is way above your level, life-experience, background knowledge of and expertise.

And where's the fun in that? Or the opportunity for education.

I'm a bit strange when it comes to Welsh. It shouldn't be allowed to die but at the same time, why do we spend so much on bilingualism when we have so much more that needs funding which, I would suggest is more important.
Our NHS, Police and yes Schools too need more money. I get all my council/governement/DWP letters in bilingual form, yet I only have a smattering of Welsh. Wouldn't it be more cost effective to just send Welsh letters to those who want them and not waste the paper?
I know too that visitors to Wales find the bilingual road signs problematical, that's before we consider any extra costs there too.
Then there's the fact that Welsh spoken today is nothing like the Welsh of 2000 years ago. It leads to the evolution of languages and the fact that things come and go naturally, if we let them. Latin is considered a dead language, yet it was once the main language of much of the known world. It was spoken by very many in these islands for a long time and undoubtedly had some effect on Welsh, many Welsh place names are rooted in Latin, and other languages too come to that. Lots of coastal areas have names of Norse descent.
My point is, trying to force Welsh to live is expensive and many living in Wales (who aren't Welsh) might well wonder at its relevance, I know Welsh people, myself included who also wonder?
Look at England, the language they consider theirs is nothing like the language commonly spoken when Welsh was the main language here. They don't seem inclined to bring that back.
If you want to learn Welsh then great, well done to you, you can be proud of yourself. Maybe my ambivalence towards Welsh is because I consider myself Welsh/British. My ancestry isn't just Welsh, there is plenty of foreign blood along the way, including Cornish. That and myself and my wife have seriously considered moving to Canada and French would be more relevant there!!
But my major concern is the cost, I honestly believe there are more important things to spend our money on.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 17:03 - Sep 28 with 2852 viewsKilkennyjack

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 10:48 - Sep 28 by Catullus

And where's the fun in that? Or the opportunity for education.

I'm a bit strange when it comes to Welsh. It shouldn't be allowed to die but at the same time, why do we spend so much on bilingualism when we have so much more that needs funding which, I would suggest is more important.
Our NHS, Police and yes Schools too need more money. I get all my council/governement/DWP letters in bilingual form, yet I only have a smattering of Welsh. Wouldn't it be more cost effective to just send Welsh letters to those who want them and not waste the paper?
I know too that visitors to Wales find the bilingual road signs problematical, that's before we consider any extra costs there too.
Then there's the fact that Welsh spoken today is nothing like the Welsh of 2000 years ago. It leads to the evolution of languages and the fact that things come and go naturally, if we let them. Latin is considered a dead language, yet it was once the main language of much of the known world. It was spoken by very many in these islands for a long time and undoubtedly had some effect on Welsh, many Welsh place names are rooted in Latin, and other languages too come to that. Lots of coastal areas have names of Norse descent.
My point is, trying to force Welsh to live is expensive and many living in Wales (who aren't Welsh) might well wonder at its relevance, I know Welsh people, myself included who also wonder?
Look at England, the language they consider theirs is nothing like the language commonly spoken when Welsh was the main language here. They don't seem inclined to bring that back.
If you want to learn Welsh then great, well done to you, you can be proud of yourself. Maybe my ambivalence towards Welsh is because I consider myself Welsh/British. My ancestry isn't just Welsh, there is plenty of foreign blood along the way, including Cornish. That and myself and my wife have seriously considered moving to Canada and French would be more relevant there!!
But my major concern is the cost, I honestly believe there are more important things to spend our money on.

Its normal to have 2 languages.
Its part of life and has a calue - not just a cost.
And the digital world allows for welsh service provision at a fraction of printed paper type costs.

Politics is all about choice and options.
Trident is costed at £205 billion over 30 years.
Of course nobody will ever use it.

For comparison, whole welsh govt gets £15 billion per year.

The cost of welsh language service provision is about the same as the cost of the paperclips.

If your agenda is really about cost savings then you are clearly focusing on the wrong areas of expenditure.

Try Heathrow expansion at some £18,6 billion.

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 19:10 - Sep 28 with 2821 viewsmonmouth

I don't speak more than a few words. I wish I was fluent but not enough to get my arse moving and learn. But, by God I'm glad people fight for it and I'm glad a Welsh Government would fund the growth of the Welsh language. Can't believe people would want to abandon, denegrate or ridicule their own country's ancient language, even if they can't speak it. What in the name of f*ck does it matter how 'relevant' it is for business. Jesus.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 23:10 - Sep 28 with 2774 viewsCatullus

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 17:03 - Sep 28 by Kilkennyjack

Its normal to have 2 languages.
Its part of life and has a calue - not just a cost.
And the digital world allows for welsh service provision at a fraction of printed paper type costs.

Politics is all about choice and options.
Trident is costed at £205 billion over 30 years.
Of course nobody will ever use it.

For comparison, whole welsh govt gets £15 billion per year.

The cost of welsh language service provision is about the same as the cost of the paperclips.

If your agenda is really about cost savings then you are clearly focusing on the wrong areas of expenditure.

Try Heathrow expansion at some £18,6 billion.

I suppose you'd have valid points if I agreed with buying Trident. And isn't the Heathrow expansion suppisedly about bringing more trade in, increasing business links and therefore will hopefully pay for itself. I also hope to god you're right and nobody actually uses trident, obviously!

We are far too busy buying weapons, concentrating on taking lives indtead of saving and/or improving them.
I still strughle to see the relevance of Welsh anywhere outside Wales. Whereas English, French, German etc have relevance worldwide.
Your point about it being normal to have 2 languages, I don't know how true that is. I looked and the only figures I could find are between 43 and 50% so it depends what percentage you equate with being normal. I would expect normal to mean quite a bit higher.
I would also say when it comes to saving money, or spending it more wisely that no area is a wrong area. If money is badly spent or represents poor value for the money it should be looked at.
I also plainly stated that I get letters that are bilingual, they are a waste of money when sent to non Welsh speaking households.
I'll have to take your word for it about paperclips. But amongst some grest wastes of public finances there's S4C which costs 75 million and many of its programmes have officially had zero audiences.
Just to balance the argument, the WAG also spent almost 1.8 million over 5 years on chauffeur driven cars, 100k over 3 years on pot plants and of course that money spent on the aeroplane to take them to Scotland via Euro 2016.
Money is being misspent everywhere, I'm not just picking on Welsh but that was all this thread was about.
Another stat, the WAG hopes to increase the number of Welsh speakers to 1.5 million eventually and more still, in 2011 the figures showed 19% spoke Welsh fluently, so around 600, 000 speak Welsh but the other 80% of us get bilingual communication from government sources, isn't that a waste?
Apparently in Swansea less than 12% of us are fluent in Welsh with another 6% knowing a little bit. So roughly 88% of Swansea households get letters which over half of go straight in the bin, because they're in Welsh.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 00:07 - Sep 29 with 2761 viewsStarsky

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 19:10 - Sep 28 by monmouth

I don't speak more than a few words. I wish I was fluent but not enough to get my arse moving and learn. But, by God I'm glad people fight for it and I'm glad a Welsh Government would fund the growth of the Welsh language. Can't believe people would want to abandon, denegrate or ridicule their own country's ancient language, even if they can't speak it. What in the name of f*ck does it matter how 'relevant' it is for business. Jesus.

Humans just need to comunicate. How many languages do you need? One!

It's just the internet, init.

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 03:23 - Sep 29 with 2746 viewsperchrockjack

Amen to that.

I see the Welsh language, without any doubt, being the most divisive issue in Wales.
No?
Then why this topic, why the open contempt from the likes of lifelong.

Our kids need to expand their boundaries.

Sorry, Welsh speaking doesn't.

I'm in a place right now that has language fascist and it's not very edifying at all.

Welsh is of use only in Wales and to 20 per cent of general public. I say general as you can discount n e Wales and much of the marches.

20 per cent don't in Gwynedd and a less hospital people you could not wish to meet.

So there

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 05:51 - Sep 29 with 2734 viewsKilkennyjack

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 03:23 - Sep 29 by perchrockjack

Amen to that.

I see the Welsh language, without any doubt, being the most divisive issue in Wales.
No?
Then why this topic, why the open contempt from the likes of lifelong.

Our kids need to expand their boundaries.

Sorry, Welsh speaking doesn't.

I'm in a place right now that has language fascist and it's not very edifying at all.

Welsh is of use only in Wales and to 20 per cent of general public. I say general as you can discount n e Wales and much of the marches.

20 per cent don't in Gwynedd and a less hospital people you could not wish to meet.

So there

Most divisive issue in your mind only.
Yes in the post war until late 1960's it had media profile, but never most divisive.

Most voting in Wales tends to split between socialist (majority) and the rest.

Your analysis about inward and outward looking is clueless.
Every nation in the world has English as its language of international business.
A welsh child learning any foreign language is unlikely to use it in business. Cos thats all undertaken in English see.
So just to be clear, your logic would see an English language only world as outward looking all other languages dont get used.

Maybe the non English languages have a cultural value and a histoical value that is part of what makes the world an interesting place. Just a thought.

I know you wont be able to understand what i have written. You will just want to type your view again as quickly as you can. It appears you hate most things welsh. Just saying.

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 08:27 - Sep 29 with 2719 viewsStarsky

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 05:51 - Sep 29 by Kilkennyjack

Most divisive issue in your mind only.
Yes in the post war until late 1960's it had media profile, but never most divisive.

Most voting in Wales tends to split between socialist (majority) and the rest.

Your analysis about inward and outward looking is clueless.
Every nation in the world has English as its language of international business.
A welsh child learning any foreign language is unlikely to use it in business. Cos thats all undertaken in English see.
So just to be clear, your logic would see an English language only world as outward looking all other languages dont get used.

Maybe the non English languages have a cultural value and a histoical value that is part of what makes the world an interesting place. Just a thought.

I know you wont be able to understand what i have written. You will just want to type your view again as quickly as you can. It appears you hate most things welsh. Just saying.

Tell you what I hate are the bi-lingual road signs at roundabouts like Ynysforgan.
Confusing, costly and unnecessary.

It's just the internet, init.

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 08:35 - Sep 29 with 2713 viewsnice_to_michu

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 08:27 - Sep 29 by Starsky

Tell you what I hate are the bi-lingual road signs at roundabouts like Ynysforgan.

Yep. Totally unnecessary.

I've never met someone who only speaks welsh and cannot understand English, so having all of our signs and documents in both languages is an incredible waste.
Everyone hates the Welsh language on 08:58 - Sep 29 with 2701 viewsUxbridge

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 19:10 - Sep 28 by monmouth

Indeed.

The daughter is also going to a Welsh medium school. Lots of reasons why I made that decision such as learning the language, making it easier to learn other languages etc, but ultimately at the age of 3 or 4 they're a sponge and it's the ideal age to pick up the language ... she's 7 now and fluent.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 09:21 - Sep 29 with 2693 viewsnice_to_michu

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 08:58 - Sep 29 by Uxbridge

Indeed.

The daughter is also going to a Welsh medium school. Lots of reasons why I made that decision such as learning the language, making it easier to learn other languages etc, but ultimately at the age of 3 or 4 they're a sponge and it's the ideal age to pick up the language ... she's 7 now and fluent.

I ask this genuinely, not in a condescending way.

In what way do you think your daughter's quality of life, career, happiness etc etc is affected by speaking the Welsh language? Will she use it on w daily basis? Is the case to learn Welsh fluently stronger than learning another language fluently (e.g. Spanish, French, Chinese)?
Everyone hates the Welsh language on 09:53 - Sep 29 with 2684 viewslifelong

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 08:27 - Sep 29 by Starsky

Personally, I've been through Ynysforgan Roundabout often enough not to need to use the road signs.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024