Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Everyone hates the Welsh language 17:39 - Sep 23 with 26066 viewsDarran

lol

http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/carmarthen-bookshop-fails-to-sell-welsh-

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 23:42 - Sep 29 with 1848 viewsStarsky

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 23:35 - Sep 29 by morningstar

It's just the internet, init.

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 09:03 - Sep 30 with 1793 viewsUxbridge

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 21:02 - Sep 29 by Catullus

Is it? Myself and my family were in tbe Maritime museum in the summer hols. Two young men were studying an interactive map of the area as we walked past. I don't know what their conversation was about but one said to the other "is Abertawe far from Swansea then"

And that is 100% true.

Roadsigns with a lot of names to read can cause a problem for people unfamiliar with the area, with any area. We all have seen cars/drivers who seem lost, who hesitate at junctions or make sudden lane changes, they're not all bad drivers, surely?

I think Clasey covered this scenario earlier.

Oh and yes it is. Exactly the same. If you can read a simple road sign you've got no business being on the road.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 10:05 - Sep 30 with 1777 viewsJack_y_Jwc

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 18:58 - Sep 29 by union_jack

Lisa, the reality is that there is little appetite for it, even with the injection of cash.

Welsh schools churn out Welsh speakers who only speak English with eachother. Why? Because it's not cool.

If the appetite doesn't increase, is there a point in artificially sustaining it? serious question.

As for Chinese, there would be a greater chance of securing an international job. More people speak Mandarin Chinese than any other language. If you speak that and English, the world's your oyster!

I don't disagree with the cultural argument but it has to be supported by the people and presently I don't think it is. Certainly not in the south.

So you'd rather teach Welsh children Chinese than Welsh - that's a hell of a statement. How on earth is having Chinese speaking children beneficial to them or Wales? At least if they spoke Welsh they could get a job in teaching or the local Government. If they spoke Chinese/Mandarin they'd almost certainly have to move away from Wales just to find a job where that skill would be useful.

The fact the Welsh football team is successful and the likes of Gruff Rhys, Iwan Rheon & Rhys Ifans makes Wales a more appealing place to associate yourself with and speak the language, it's certainly more cool now than at any time that I can remember.

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 10:14 - Sep 30 with 1774 viewsCatullus

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 09:03 - Sep 30 by Uxbridge

I think Clasey covered this scenario earlier.

Oh and yes it is. Exactly the same. If you can read a simple road sign you've got no business being on the road.

And that's the point well and truly missed!!

Visitors from out side Wales may well not know that the Welsh name and the English name are the same. When all the names on a sign are doubled up it takes longer to read.
I've driven abroad and taken wrong turns because I've missed a sign, not read it all or been in the wrong lane.
When you don't know where you're going, don't know the roads or know something residents take for granted (Abertawe and Swansea are the same place) then I can see why it's confusing.
Obviously that's something we'll have to agree to disagree about.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 10:27 - Sep 30 with 1772 viewsLeonisGod

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 10:14 - Sep 30 by Catullus

Visitors from out side Wales may well not know that the Welsh name and the English name are the same. When all the names on a sign are doubled up it takes longer to read.
I've driven abroad and taken wrong turns because I've missed a sign, not read it all or been in the wrong lane.
When you don't know where you're going, don't know the roads or know something residents take for granted (Abertawe and Swansea are the same place) then I can see why it's confusing.

You're right. But when you're abroad you wouldn't think twice about suggesting they change their road signs into English only. Their language is part of their place and culture. Same as it is in Wales.

What happens here isn't that uncommon where you have a melding of people and languages. e.g. Flemmish and French in Belgium.
Everyone hates the Welsh language on 11:18 - Sep 30 with 1755 viewsCatullus

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 10:27 - Sep 30 by LeonisGod

You're right. But when you're abroad you wouldn't think twice about suggesting they change their road signs into English only. Their language is part of their place and culture. Same as it is in Wales.

What happens here isn't that uncommon where you have a melding of people and languages. e.g. Flemmish and French in Belgium.

Good point, but also, I have no idea how commonly spoken minority languages are elsewhere nor how the local people feel about them.

The place I got most lost driving abroad was Florida. America has very few roundabouts (in 5 visits I've only actually seen one, in a car park!) take a wrong lane off an interstate/freeway/turnpike whatever, and you can end up going a long way off course.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 11:46 - Sep 30 with 1750 viewsUxbridge

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 10:14 - Sep 30 by Catullus

Yeah, we're not going to agree. I don't see why anything should change because of the lack of knowledge or commonsense of others.

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 14:36 - Sep 30 with 1724 viewsperchrockjack

Spectacular defensiveness in this thread.

Welsh children learn Chinese before Welsh?.absolutely.

If you have a business employing Welsh people chances are the goods will be made in China. Quite how would Welsh help. You need a basic understanding of mandarin to fully earn the respect and business of the Chinese.

Can't believe I' m seeing so much sentimental crap and as I say it divides.

By the way, it won't die out as families will continue to use it .

Depressing beyond to see such insularity

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Login to get fewer ads

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 15:02 - Sep 30 with 1712 viewsUxbridge

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 14:36 - Sep 30 by perchrockjack

If you have a business employing Welsh people chances are the goods will be made in China. Quite how would Welsh help. You need a basic understanding of mandarin to fully earn the respect and business of the Chinese.

French wouldn't help much either. Or Spanish. Or Greek. Or Portuguese. Or Swedish. Or Dutch. Might as well get rid of the lot.

Still, very unlike residents of merseyside to be in favour of the devastation of Welsh culture eh

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 15:10 - Sep 30 with 1705 viewsperchrockjack

Back with a bang then Andrew. Back to your sarcastic cynical best.

Whst a jerk of a post.

I read Lisa reckoning learning Welsh helps to learn another.
Well no, it can stimulate the need to learn another language but Welsh is so arcane it's irrelevant to others therefore no advantage at all.

I learned Latin in school and it gives me a basic understanding of Spanish Italian Portuguese . I m reasonably fluent in French but it didn't help me learning German.

I'm en route to Quebec City as I write this ,thus far ,plenty evidence of language fascism and bitter divisions.

For an educated man, you should be better than this

Still Liverpool jibes now morphed into Merseyside.

Pitiful

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 15:35 - Sep 30 with 1697 viewslifelong

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 15:10 - Sep 30 by perchrockjack

Whst a jerk of a post.

Well no, it can stimulate the need to learn another language but Welsh is so arcane it's irrelevant to others therefore no advantage at all.

I learned Latin in school and it gives me a basic understanding of Spanish Italian Portuguese . I m reasonably fluent in French but it didn't help me learning German.

I'm en route to Quebec City as I write this ,thus far ,plenty evidence of language fascism and bitter divisions.

Pitiful

What's pitiful is you posting crap on a football forum when you're on holiday n Canada... Sad case.
Everyone hates the Welsh language on 15:36 - Sep 30 with 1697 viewsperchrockjack

Yep, as predicted.

Dig that hole ,Virgil

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 17:02 - Sep 30 with 1670 viewsUxbridge

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 15:10 - Sep 30 by perchrockjack

Whst a jerk of a post.

Pitiful

Enjoy your holiday Rich. I can see it's mellowing you

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 17:39 - Sep 30 with 1654 viewsunion_jack

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 14:36 - Sep 30 by perchrockjack

You're wasting finger tip skin Perch.

Your last two sentences are spot on by the way.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 17:47 - Sep 30 with 1651 viewsKilkennyjack

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 17:39 - Sep 30 by union_jack

You're wasting finger tip skin Perch.

Your last two sentences are spot on by the way.

The Welsh Government have committed to 1 million welsh speakers by 2020. Fantastic news. From strength to strength.

Beware of the Risen People

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 18:13 - Sep 30 with 1639 viewsnice_to_michu

Nobody has really told me why learning Welsh as a child is more beneficial/worth the investment than learning Chinese would be?

I fully understand the whole thing about why it's easier to be learn languages if you've learnt one from a young age etc etc. I'm just wondering why it has to be Welsh? In my opinion it's just a pointless luxury.

Has Cornwall suffered because barely anyone speaks Cornish down there? Have they got less visitors? Do we think less of Cornish people because they don't have their own language?

Of course not.
Everyone hates the Welsh language on 18:27 - Sep 30 with 1636 viewsunion_jack

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 18:13 - Sep 30 by nice_to_michu

Nobody has really told me why learning Welsh as a child is more beneficial/worth the investment than learning Chinese would be?

I fully understand the whole thing about why it's easier to be learn languages if you've learnt one from a young age etc etc. I'm just wondering why it has to be Welsh? In my opinion it's just a pointless luxury.

Has Cornwall suffered because barely anyone speaks Cornish down there? Have they got less visitors? Do we think less of Cornish people because they don't have their own language?

Of course not.

Good post. I made the same point above regarding learning Welsh at the expense of other more useful languages.

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 18:30 - Sep 30 with 1634 viewsunion_jack

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 17:47 - Sep 30 by Kilkennyjack

The Welsh Government have committed to 1 million welsh speakers by 2020. Fantastic news. From strength to strength.

I've lost count of the number of things the WG have committed to, and failed at.

Anyway, great - so long as there is not a disproportionate amount of funding thrown at it (with minimal ROI - see Michu's post re Cornwall) or where more important things, yes, there are many, don't get sidelined due to lack of funding.

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 19:08 - Sep 30 with 1616 viewsRevJames

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 21:02 - Sep 29 by Catullus

Is it? Myself and my family were in tbe Maritime museum in the summer hols. Two young men were studying an interactive map of the area as we walked past. I don't know what their conversation was about but one said to the other "is Abertawe far from Swansea then"

And that is 100% true.

Roadsigns with a lot of names to read can cause a problem for people unfamiliar with the area, with any area. We all have seen cars/drivers who seem lost, who hesitate at junctions or make sudden lane changes, they're not all bad drivers, surely?

Isn't it part of the experience when visiting another country?

I f you don't understand a sign, work it out FFS! It's not hard.

There's enough technology around now for those who can't work it out or can't be bothered to try
Everyone hates the Welsh language on 19:33 - Sep 30 with 1610 viewsmonmouth

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 19:08 - Sep 30 by RevJames

There's enough technology around now for those who can't work it out or can't be bothered to try

We should get shot of the English.

On the signs I mean, not the people, I quite like the people.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 19:49 - Sep 30 with 1603 viewsexiledclaseboy

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 18:30 - Sep 30 by union_jack

I've lost count of the number of things the WG have committed to, and failed at.

Anyway, great - so long as there is not a disproportionate amount of funding thrown at it (with minimal ROI - see Michu's post re Cornwall) or where more important things, yes, there are many, don't get sidelined due to lack of funding.

Cornwall gets government funding to promote and encourage the use Cornish.

http://www.magakernow.org.uk/default.aspx?page=28

Poll: Tory leader

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 19:50 - Sep 30 with 1602 viewsexiledclaseboy

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 19:08 - Sep 30 by RevJames

And if you don't understand a sign that has two languages, just read the bits you do understand. Rocket science it ain't.
[Post edited 30 Sep 2016 22:24]

Poll: Tory leader

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 20:46 - Sep 30 with 1582 viewsKilkennyjack

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 18:30 - Sep 30 by union_jack

Well the god awfwl wars in Iraq and Afghanistan cost circa £30 billion - the Westminster government seems to find lots of money when it feels like. Priorities eh ?

Everyone hates the Welsh languag on 21:23 - Sep 30 with 1563 viewsnice_to_michu

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 20:46 - Sep 30 by Kilkennyjack

Well the god awfwl wars in Iraq and Afghanistan cost circa £30 billion - the Westminster government seems to find lots of money when it feels like. Priorities eh ?

Yeh, that's what a government is supposed to do, spend money on what it decides are its priorities.
Everyone hates the Welsh languag on 22:21 - Sep 30 with 1539 viewsKilkennyjack

Everyone hates the Welsh languag on 21:23 - Sep 30 by nice_to_michu

Yeh, that's what a government is supposed to do, spend money on what it decides are its priorities.

Really ? i thought it was supposed to be the Peoples priorities. You are probably right mind.

I mean they paid out £850 billion to bail out the banks, when people would probably prefer their money spent elsewhere. Innit ?

Investment in supporting the welsh language seems a much better idea.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024