Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sun: Bob Bradley on the shortlist 08:56 - Sep 26 with 11019 viewsjackjackjackjack

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/1851957/next-swnasea-manager-us-owners-w

Next Swansea manager: US owners want Bob Bradley to be considered but Manchester United legend Ryan Giggs remains first choice

New American owners want former US coach to be on shortlist to take over from Francesco Guidolin

SWANSEA’S new American backers want to talk to former United States coach Bob Bradley about becoming their new boss.
The Yanks are keen for Bradley to be considered for the post as Francesco Guidolin struggles and the Welsh outfit search for a replacement.

Ryan Giggs is top of the wanted list drawn up by Swansea supremo Huw Jenkins, but the Americans insist that Bradley should be a contender.
Bradley, 58, is currently coach at French Second Division side Le Havre but is best known for a six-year spell with the United States national team.
And that means a lot to the American investors Jason Levien and Steve Kaplan who have pumped cash into the club.

Giggs's lack of experience as a manager is a nagging concern for the Americans and even bringing in a sidekick like Phil Neville leaves that doubt.
Bradley has never worked in England either but has a long CV. He could also involve former Everton player Landon Donovan in a management team.
Donovan, a key player for Bradley at international level, is advising Swansea and could become even more part of the scene.

Poll: Where will we finish in the Championship ?

Sun: Bob Bradley on the shortlist on 16:44 - Sep 27 with 1344 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Sun: Bob Bradley on the shortlist on 16:29 - Sep 27 by monmouth

What d'you reckon then Tum?

First of all, I'm completely out on FG. Sure, he seems like a nice guy, but he clearly lacks the ambition, energy, and hard work we need right now. To be blunt, he strikes me as an old man collecting a few more paychecks before retirement. The report that he was skipping training sessions in Washington DC in order to watch the Tour de France on TV was the final straw for me.

I think Bob Bradley could be a good fit. I liked him with the USMNT (we took a step back with Klinsmann), and his specialty appears to be making the most out of limited resources. His complete lack of familiarity with the PL scares me a bit, but I think he's a quick learner. Which is why I'd rather see this happen sooner than later.

There are probably better/safer options out there, but out of Giggs, Zola, Guidolin, and Bradley, I'd choose Bradley.

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

Sun: Bob Bradley on the shortlist on 16:46 - Sep 27 with 1331 viewsWingstandwood

Sun: Bob Bradley on the shortlist on 16:37 - Sep 27 by WarwickHunt

If Jenkins had an ounce of decency or self-respect he'd fûck off now to spend more time with his money.

Argus!

Sun: Bob Bradley on the shortlist on 16:47 - Sep 27 with 1313 viewsDarran

Sun: Bob Bradley on the shortlist on 16:44 - Sep 27 by Tummer_from_Texas

First of all, I'm completely out on FG. Sure, he seems like a nice guy, but he clearly lacks the ambition, energy, and hard work we need right now. To be blunt, he strikes me as an old man collecting a few more paychecks before retirement. The report that he was skipping training sessions in Washington DC in order to watch the Tour de France on TV was the final straw for me.

I think Bob Bradley could be a good fit. I liked him with the USMNT (we took a step back with Klinsmann), and his specialty appears to be making the most out of limited resources. His complete lack of familiarity with the PL scares me a bit, but I think he's a quick learner. Which is why I'd rather see this happen sooner than later.

There are probably better/safer options out there, but out of Giggs, Zola, Guidolin, and Bradley, I'd choose Bradley.

If the TDF reports are true of course.

Just saying.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Sun: Bob Bradley on the shortlist on 16:48 - Sep 27 with 1308 viewslonglostjack

Unbelievable.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Sun: Bob Bradley on the shortlist on 16:49 - Sep 27 with 1300 viewsLandore_Jack

Sun: Bob Bradley on the shortlist on 16:41 - Sep 27 by LeonisGod

You'd really want total control given over to the Americans? That's brave.

That's the problem. Sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for.

#backtojack

Sun: Bob Bradley on the shortlist on 16:50 - Sep 27 with 1288 viewsWarwickHunt

Sun: Bob Bradley on the shortlist on 16:48 - Sep 27 by longlostjack

Unbelievable.

Jeff.
Sun: Bob Bradley on the shortlist on 16:51 - Sep 27 with 1275 viewslondonlisa2001

Sun: Bob Bradley on the shortlist on 16:40 - Sep 27 by yescomeon

Fair enough, it's a bit harsh on Bradley imo. I don't necessarily think he would be a bad appointment, in fact, out of all the names that have been mentioned he is probably the best (but I will re-state that I think we should stick with Guidolin, at least for the time being). I'm just basing this on his managerial statistics, and the press he has got for the work he has done elsewhere. Can't say I've seen any of his teams play. I also found this on his style of play when at America

"Bob Bradley prefers a reactive (in opposed to proactive) style of football. He prefers to stay sound defensively by emphasizing pressure on the ball and his players staying disciplined and compact in their positioning, as opposed to pushing up the field or attempting risky passes.

He preferred a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-5-1 formation, with two holding/defensive midfielders sitting in front of the four-man defense. He would use a bigger striker to hold up the ball for his overlapping outside midfielders (or wingbacks).

He was also known to use a 4-4-2 formation, often utilizing two strikers with different talents, a bigger, stronger holding forward and a faster, smaller attacking forward."

https://www.quora.com/How-does-J%C3%BCrgen-Klinsmanns-coaching-philosophy-differ

That set-up sounds well matched to what we have at the moment, playing staff wise. Compared to Ryan Giggs, who appears to be the next in line, he would be a great appointment (emphasis on compared to Ryan Giggs).

He has managed the USA, Egypt, a team in Norway (I think they're in Norway) and a second division team in France.
Sun: Bob Bradley on the shortlist on 16:52 - Sep 27 with 1273 viewsWarwickHunt

Sun: Bob Bradley on the shortlist on 16:41 - Sep 27 by LeonisGod

You'd really want total control given over to the Americans? That's brave.

They seem to have it already...
Login to get fewer ads

Sun: Bob Bradley on the shortlist on 16:52 - Sep 27 with 1264 viewsPrivate_Partz

Nothing to back the first bit of your first paragraph and with regards to the TDF I am with Darren on that one. How can it be the last straw of it is not true? Regardless of that the American tour was completely pointless as most of our current squad were either resting after the Euros or they had nor been signed due to our dilly dallying in the market.
A very unfair and ageist assessment of FG.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Sun: Bob Bradley on the shortlist on 17:01 - Sep 27 with 1209 viewslondonlisa2001

I'm sorry Tumner, but how on earth can you possibly say that Guidloin 'clearly lacks the ambition, energy and hard work we need right now'?

And describing him as 'an old man collecting a few more pay checks''?

That is a ridiculous and frankly disgraceful statement.

Bob Bradley incidentally is only 2 years younger than Guidolin, and has reached the dizzy heights of the French Second Division, so he's hardly that quick a bloody learner is he.
Sun: Bob Bradley on the shortlist on 17:18 - Sep 27 with 1165 viewsyescomeon

Sun: Bob Bradley on the shortlist on 16:51 - Sep 27 by londonlisa2001

He has managed the USA, Egypt, a team in Norway (I think they're in Norway) and a second division team in France.

And he has done well at all of those. It shows that we shouldn't be sacking Guidolin though as none of the candidates to replace him look to be as good as him. I'm going to leave this now. I just thought the comparison to Cullis was harsh.

Upthecity!

Sun: Bob Bradley on the shortlist on 17:21 - Sep 27 with 1149 viewslondonlisa2001

Sun: Bob Bradley on the shortlist on 17:18 - Sep 27 by yescomeon

And he has done well at all of those. It shows that we shouldn't be sacking Guidolin though as none of the candidates to replace him look to be as good as him. I'm going to leave this now. I just thought the comparison to Cullis was harsh.

I was referring to the equivalency of appointing him in our position with what happened with Cullis - I wasn't saying they were of equal standard !
Sun: Bob Bradley on the shortlist on 17:37 - Sep 27 with 1082 viewsmax936

Sun: Bob Bradley on the shortlist on 17:21 - Sep 27 by londonlisa2001

I was referring to the equivalency of appointing him in our position with what happened with Cullis - I wasn't saying they were of equal standard !

A few years ago we were heralded as a well run club run by the fans for the fans, I know that Title went probably 18 months to 2 years ago, the Board and these Yanks have turned into a nest of vile vipers who are slowly but surely turning the club into a laughing stock, big fuking well done to them, bunch of money grabbing morons.

Part of me hopes we go down and these fuking chancers all fukoff and we can get our Club back and not let these c@@ts anywhere near it again. ffs.
[Post edited 27 Sep 2016 17:38]

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Sun: Bob Bradley on the shortlist on 17:45 - Sep 27 with 1049 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Sun: Bob Bradley on the shortlist on 16:52 - Sep 27 by Private_Partz

Nothing to back the first bit of your first paragraph and with regards to the TDF I am with Darren on that one. How can it be the last straw of it is not true? Regardless of that the American tour was completely pointless as most of our current squad were either resting after the Euros or they had nor been signed due to our dilly dallying in the market.
A very unfair and ageist assessment of FG.

Fair enough, and I don't claim to be an expert, but my opinion was asked for. Stories like that about the TDF are rarely going to be confirmed, but there have been a lot of rumblings about all kinds of negative issues surrounding the club this season, and where there is that much smoke...

I just don't get the impression at all this season that Guidolin has inspired much confidence for our squad or our front office, and there already seems to be an air of regret about the decision to keep him this summer. That said and assuming he is still our manager in 4 days, I hope he still proves me wrong, beginning on Saturday.

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

Sun: Bob Bradley on the shortlist on 17:48 - Sep 27 with 1033 viewsyescomeon

Sun: Bob Bradley on the shortlist on 17:21 - Sep 27 by londonlisa2001

Yeah I got that point. I disagree with the analogy, the jump from the youth team of a team at tier 10 of the English football pyramid to manager of a team at tier 3 is a much greater jump than successful former international manager, tier 1 Norway, tier 2 France to tier 1 England. In my opinion at least. It's a pedantic point to pick up on I know.

[As an aside 442 had him 23rd in their list of best managers in the world this year (Bradley not Cullis ;)) and 24th the year before. That don't mean a lot I know, would still be a big jump for him to come here, but he has had a decent career and is building a reputation for himself as a manager in Europe.]

Upthecity!

Sun: Bob Bradley on the shortlist on 17:49 - Sep 27 with 1023 viewsattila_the_hun

bob bradley !!!??

GAB

"I'm Free"

Sun: Bob Bradley on the shortlist on 18:08 - Sep 27 with 966 viewslondonlisa2001

Sun: Bob Bradley on the shortlist on 17:48 - Sep 27 by yescomeon

Yeah I got that point. I disagree with the analogy, the jump from the youth team of a team at tier 10 of the English football pyramid to manager of a team at tier 3 is a much greater jump than successful former international manager, tier 1 Norway, tier 2 France to tier 1 England. In my opinion at least. It's a pedantic point to pick up on I know.

[As an aside 442 had him 23rd in their list of best managers in the world this year (Bradley not Cullis ;)) and 24th the year before. That don't mean a lot I know, would still be a big jump for him to come here, but he has had a decent career and is building a reputation for himself as a manager in Europe.]

The analogy was that a new owner came in (Michael Thompson - was that his name?) and imposed on the club a ridiculous managerial appointment - someone who was totally unsuitable, and would never in a million years have been even suggested for the job if it wasn't for existing links with the new owners. This followed a period of utter disbelief from the fans, with associated spin pieces about how the unsuitable new guy was 'qualified', when that quite obviously was not the case.

The joy of Cullis was that he lasted for only 2 or 3 games, and the new chairman was quickly replaced by the old chairman because Dougie retook the reins as soon as it became obvious to him that the new bloke was an imbecile. That can't happen now of course.

I take your point that Bradley is not managing at such a low level, but as I said, I can see it being an equivalent appointment. It would NEVER even be suggested if we didn't have new American owners. No other premier league club has had him on a shortlist (as far as I can recall anyway) and he wouldn't be anywhere near ours other than the change in owner.

And he is 58 - hardly an age where he can start building a reputation for himself, when you consider that half of our fan base reckons Guido is past it at 60.

Anyway - I suspect that we would both be horrified if he was appointed instead of Guidolin, so it's pointless arguing any further on this :-)
Sun: Bob Bradley on the shortlist on 18:15 - Sep 27 with 948 viewsyescomeon

Sun: Bob Bradley on the shortlist on 18:08 - Sep 27 by londonlisa2001

The analogy was that a new owner came in (Michael Thompson - was that his name?) and imposed on the club a ridiculous managerial appointment - someone who was totally unsuitable, and would never in a million years have been even suggested for the job if it wasn't for existing links with the new owners. This followed a period of utter disbelief from the fans, with associated spin pieces about how the unsuitable new guy was 'qualified', when that quite obviously was not the case.

The joy of Cullis was that he lasted for only 2 or 3 games, and the new chairman was quickly replaced by the old chairman because Dougie retook the reins as soon as it became obvious to him that the new bloke was an imbecile. That can't happen now of course.

I take your point that Bradley is not managing at such a low level, but as I said, I can see it being an equivalent appointment. It would NEVER even be suggested if we didn't have new American owners. No other premier league club has had him on a shortlist (as far as I can recall anyway) and he wouldn't be anywhere near ours other than the change in owner.

And he is 58 - hardly an age where he can start building a reputation for himself, when you consider that half of our fan base reckons Guido is past it at 60.

Anyway - I suspect that we would both be horrified if he was appointed instead of Guidolin, so it's pointless arguing any further on this :-)

OK put like that I see the analogy and agree with you. I took it based on the jump in level when you first made the comparison.

Upthecity!

Sun: Bob Bradley on the shortlist on 18:16 - Sep 27 with 948 viewsmax936

Sun: Bob Bradley on the shortlist on 17:48 - Sep 27 by yescomeon

He's a tad old to be an up and coming maverick football manager though, the cut and thrust of the Premier League isn't the best place for it either. he could easily sink and drown taking us with him.

That lot need to show some faith in Guidolin for at least another month, especially when you consider that he's working with his hands tied behind as back.

That ain't gonna change with Bradley either, seeing has he's got a rep for bringing players on, which is obviously a good thing, but have the majority of the players got that in them, seeing as lots are nearing the twilight of their careers I doubt it and have the others got it in them to improve.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Sun: Bob Bradley on the shortlist on 18:23 - Sep 27 with 919 viewslondonlisa2001

Sun: Bob Bradley on the shortlist on 18:15 - Sep 27 by yescomeon

OK put like that I see the analogy and agree with you. I took it based on the jump in level when you first made the comparison.

It was unfortunately only obvious in my head what I was talking about !
Sun: Bob Bradley on the shortlist on 18:33 - Sep 27 with 891 viewslondonlisa2001

Sun: Bob Bradley on the shortlist on 16:52 - Sep 27 by WarwickHunt

They seem to have it already...

To be fair - there is no way that this is a Huw appointment / consideration.

It's possible perhaps that this business with Guido is them not him (which would make more sense) and that he's mentioned Giggs as an alternative that they may accept after instructions to get this Bradley bloke on board?
Sun: Bob Bradley on the shortlist on 18:38 - Sep 27 with 861 viewsyescomeon

Sun: Bob Bradley on the shortlist on 18:16 - Sep 27 by max936

He's a tad old to be an up and coming maverick football manager though, the cut and thrust of the Premier League isn't the best place for it either. he could easily sink and drown taking us with him.

That lot need to show some faith in Guidolin for at least another month, especially when you consider that he's working with his hands tied behind as back.

That ain't gonna change with Bradley either, seeing has he's got a rep for bringing players on, which is obviously a good thing, but have the majority of the players got that in them, seeing as lots are nearing the twilight of their careers I doubt it and have the others got it in them to improve.

I'm worried that I am coming across as some kind of Bradley fanboy looking back over my posts in this thread. The way I see it is if it is a choice between Bradley, Giggs and Guidolin, then it is a no-brainer, Guidolin wins. If it becomes a choice between Giggs and Bradley then again, I see that as a no-brainer but this time Bradley wins.

The building a reputation for himself comment was was made with emphasis on "in Europe". From what I have read he is seen as a bit of a trail-blazer for American managers in Europe, and although at a much lower level than we are at he has done well in his 2 years in Europe. He's the most likely American manager to make it to one of Europe's top league (Wagner is more of a German who played for America and is product of the German league as a player and a manager whereas Bradley came through the American "soccer" *shudder* leagues). Not to make out he is some young and up-and-coming manager.

Anyway I am arguing over extremely pedantic points here, that must mean I should be writing.

Upthecity!

Sun: Bob Bradley on the shortlist on 19:09 - Sep 27 with 782 viewsstAteSwan

I don't like the way HJ and Co are treating Guidolin. If he's going to be sacked, do it now and get it out of the way. Don't let him twist in the wind leaving unrealistic expectations for him to keep the position.

That said, Bradley ultimately lost the US job because he could not beat Mexico in the Gold Cup final. I never fully appreciated the way US Soccer treated him. It was clear from the beginning that the heiarchy here wanted Klinsmann in place, and all Bradley needed to do was mess up once and he was done. Ultimately his biggest failures have been near misses. He was 45 minutes from the US lifting the Confederations Cup in 2009, knocking off Spain and nearly beating Brazil in the process. He was an extra time goal from taking the US to the 2010 World Cup Quarters Both of which would have been tremendous accomplishments in the history of the US National team, but ultimately it didn't work out that way.

My biggest concern is his fit at Swansea. I have no question that he can rally a dressing room and get them to play hard, but can he bring in the types of players and coaches who can win in the Premier League? He doesn't have near the resume or contact list that Ryan Gigs has in that regard.
Sun: Bob Bradley on the shortlist on 21:50 - Sep 27 with 689 viewslonglostjack

Why the hell are we even discussing the merits of Bradley and Giggs when we have a manager in place and the form curve is on the up ??? That's the bloody question soccer boys.
[Post edited 27 Sep 2016 21:56]

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Sun: Bob Bradley on the shortlist on 21:59 - Sep 27 with 662 viewsLeonisGod

If you could see Guidolin pacing on on the touchline and practically kicking every ball you wouldn't say he lacks energy. I've no idea on Bradley though - his CV is less than convincing, but that doesn't mean he definitely couldn't step up. What worries me is that apparently seen as a bit anti-football. A bit of a throw back. I can't see that going down well here.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024