Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Sweeney 09:53 - Sep 27 with 1803 viewsmax936

Just watched a re-run of one of the episodes, what a programme that was superb stuff, I miss those sort of programmes and Minder, was never fussed on The Professionals though.
Any others to add folks?

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

The Sweeney on 09:54 - Sep 27 with 1801 viewsdickythorpe

"BJ McLaine and his best friend Bear"
The Sweeney on 10:35 - Sep 27 with 1775 viewsepaul

Superb stuff, on every afternoon on itv4

Get yer trousers on, you're nicked." This line became synonymous with the show, although it was only ever used in the pilot episode, "Regan". Despite the line's Sweeney associations it was actually first used in Euston films series "Special Branch", in the episode 'Date of Birth'.
"SHUT IT!" This line is most associated with The Sweeney, although Regan only ever uses it in a couple of episodes and the first feature film.
"We're The Sweeney, son, and we haven't had any dinner. You've kept us waiting, so unless you want a kicking you tell us where those photographs are." (Ringer)
"Cor, that Sheila has got some lunch on her!" (Queen's Pawn - Carter is admiring Sheila's cleavage as she dances)
"The world does not revolve around your body. This bloke Galileo proved it, it goes around the sun." (Night Out)
"I hate this bastard place, it's a bloody holiday camp for thieves and weirdoes, all the rubbish. You nail a villain and some ponced up pin stripe Hampstead barrister screws it all up like an old fag packet and pops off for a game of squash and a glass of Madeira. He's taking home 30 grand a year and we can just about afford 10 days in Eastbourne and a second hand car. Nah, it's all bloody wrong, my son." (Abduction)
"The hairs on my wooden leg tell me that something is up." (Abduction)
"You couldn't find an Irishman in a Harp Club." (Abduction)
"He's a weirdo and he's hard enough to rollerskate on." (Stay Lucky,Eh?)
"If you weren't who you are, I'd kick your arse up to your shoulderblades." (May)
"Now the question is: do I write my statement and then get drunk, or get drunk then write it?" (Taste of Fear)
"Nah, course I wasn't scared. Mind you, some bugger peed in my pants." (Taste of Fear)
"You shall go to the ball" (Carter gives Regan a pair of muddy shoes dredged up from a river as evidence: a mocking reference to Cinderella)
"I am utterly and abjectly pissed-off with this little lot. I've given the best years of my life to the job. I've got eighteen bloody commendations, if you include the one I didn't get yesterday. And how does this 'wonderful' police force show its gratitude for all my years of unstinting effort? It bangs me up in a crummy little cell like some cheap little villain - all because a toerag called Hutchinson's got a few bottles twitching on the Fifth Floor. Now, because that poor little bastard had the guts to get off his arse, I'm going to have to be reinstated. And what do you bunch of bleeding double-dyed hypocrites want now? You want me to crawl back to work and be terribly grateful that I didn't get nicked for something I didn't do. Well you can stuff it!" (Jack or Knave - Regan is accused of being corrupt)
"I'm gonna come down on you so hard your going to have to reach up to tie your shoe laces."
Regan: "Ere George. You ever fancied a gaff in the country?" Carter:"Wot on a copper's bunce? Leave it out guv!"
"We're The Sweeney! We kill you - nothing! You kill us - thirty years!" - Det. Insp. Jack Regan (pilot, Regan)

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

The Sweeney on 10:40 - Sep 27 with 1772 viewsmonmouth

Man in a suitcase. Memory plays tricks, but best theme tune (along with the persuaders and the avengers) and he always used to get the crap booted out of him for some reason. What more can you ask. I liked The Baron too I think, but have no idea what that was about as I was only 9. And Danger Man. Enjoyed Hazell too, even though Venables had a big hand in it.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

The Sweeney on 10:44 - Sep 27 with 1768 viewsDarran

The Champions was the best.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

The Sweeney on 10:50 - Sep 27 with 1759 viewslifelong

The Sweeney on 10:35 - Sep 27 by epaul

Superb stuff, on every afternoon on itv4

Get yer trousers on, you're nicked." This line became synonymous with the show, although it was only ever used in the pilot episode, "Regan". Despite the line's Sweeney associations it was actually first used in Euston films series "Special Branch", in the episode 'Date of Birth'.
"SHUT IT!" This line is most associated with The Sweeney, although Regan only ever uses it in a couple of episodes and the first feature film.
"We're The Sweeney, son, and we haven't had any dinner. You've kept us waiting, so unless you want a kicking you tell us where those photographs are." (Ringer)
"Cor, that Sheila has got some lunch on her!" (Queen's Pawn - Carter is admiring Sheila's cleavage as she dances)
"The world does not revolve around your body. This bloke Galileo proved it, it goes around the sun." (Night Out)
"I hate this bastard place, it's a bloody holiday camp for thieves and weirdoes, all the rubbish. You nail a villain and some ponced up pin stripe Hampstead barrister screws it all up like an old fag packet and pops off for a game of squash and a glass of Madeira. He's taking home 30 grand a year and we can just about afford 10 days in Eastbourne and a second hand car. Nah, it's all bloody wrong, my son." (Abduction)
"The hairs on my wooden leg tell me that something is up." (Abduction)
"You couldn't find an Irishman in a Harp Club." (Abduction)
"He's a weirdo and he's hard enough to rollerskate on." (Stay Lucky,Eh?)
"If you weren't who you are, I'd kick your arse up to your shoulderblades." (May)
"Now the question is: do I write my statement and then get drunk, or get drunk then write it?" (Taste of Fear)
"Nah, course I wasn't scared. Mind you, some bugger peed in my pants." (Taste of Fear)
"You shall go to the ball" (Carter gives Regan a pair of muddy shoes dredged up from a river as evidence: a mocking reference to Cinderella)
"I am utterly and abjectly pissed-off with this little lot. I've given the best years of my life to the job. I've got eighteen bloody commendations, if you include the one I didn't get yesterday. And how does this 'wonderful' police force show its gratitude for all my years of unstinting effort? It bangs me up in a crummy little cell like some cheap little villain - all because a toerag called Hutchinson's got a few bottles twitching on the Fifth Floor. Now, because that poor little bastard had the guts to get off his arse, I'm going to have to be reinstated. And what do you bunch of bleeding double-dyed hypocrites want now? You want me to crawl back to work and be terribly grateful that I didn't get nicked for something I didn't do. Well you can stuff it!" (Jack or Knave - Regan is accused of being corrupt)
"I'm gonna come down on you so hard your going to have to reach up to tie your shoe laces."
Regan: "Ere George. You ever fancied a gaff in the country?" Carter:"Wot on a copper's bunce? Leave it out guv!"
"We're The Sweeney! We kill you - nothing! You kill us - thirty years!" - Det. Insp. Jack Regan (pilot, Regan)

I liked the one when Regan is standing outside the Old Bailey waiting to give evidence against one of his senior officers. Another senior officer approaches him and says, "you need to know where your loyalty lies Jack."
Regan replies, " Loyalty, that reminds me of a suspender belt, it's supposed to stretch both ways."
The Sweeney on 10:55 - Sep 27 with 1744 viewsmajorraglan

The Sweeney and Minder were great British programmes, from the other side of the pond I used to like the Rockford Files and Hill Street Blues.
The Sweeney on 08:57 - Sep 28 with 1636 viewsPegojack

I loved watching the Sweeney re-runs on ITV4 and thought they held up pretty well.

Interesting as social history too - suits with flared trousers and lapels like the decks of an aircraft carrier. Very light traffic in the streets of London at all times of the day (compare with today). Dodgy motors from British Leyland and no seat belts. No mobile phones, etc., etc.

There was a bizarre episode featuring Morecambe and Wise, totally out of step with the rest of the series, which verged on farce most of the time. What was that all about?
The Sweeney on 09:07 - Sep 28 with 1628 viewsmax936

The Sweeney on 08:57 - Sep 28 by Pegojack

I loved watching the Sweeney re-runs on ITV4 and thought they held up pretty well.

Interesting as social history too - suits with flared trousers and lapels like the decks of an aircraft carrier. Very light traffic in the streets of London at all times of the day (compare with today). Dodgy motors from British Leyland and no seat belts. No mobile phones, etc., etc.

There was a bizarre episode featuring Morecambe and Wise, totally out of step with the rest of the series, which verged on farce most of the time. What was that all about?

I think its was a lighting of the mood to show that there were some lighter moments in the force so to speak, there was another episode with Diana Dors that had a few comical moments as well.

There's an episode on now ITV4+1.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Login to get fewer ads

The Sweeney on 13:47 - Sep 28 with 1585 viewsperchrockjack

It was outstanding in the seventies.
It is now

It was when the flying squad and police in general actually did their job

Of course several were bent but then again far less than the scum of the legal profession.

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

The Sweeney on 14:43 - Sep 28 with 1575 viewsjackal

The Sweeney on 10:44 - Sep 27 by Darran

The Champions was the best.

Now you're talking. That was my favourite when I was a boy.

William Gaunt was the coolest.
The Sweeney on 16:28 - Sep 28 with 1551 viewsmonmouth

The Sweeney on 14:43 - Sep 28 by jackal

Now you're talking. That was my favourite when I was a boy.

William Gaunt was the coolest.

I never noticed anyone other than Alexandra Bastedo. I could have done her some damage even aged 11.

Those Monty Berman/Denis Spooner vehicles were great. Randall and Hopkirk too, I loved that. Couldn't believe they tried to revive it with this two utterly hopeless tw@ts in the roles a few years ago.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024