Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Local Government Reorganisation 14:44 - Oct 2 with 338 viewsPrivate_Partz

We have 22 Local Authorities for a population the size Manchester Council's. Leighton Andrews made a mediocre attempt to reduce it to 8. Still far too many IMHO. He lost his seat and Carwyn appoints Drayford to look after it. This was the guy in charge of Health who used to hide behind his assistant every time a media response was needed on bad news and there was plenty of that.
Anyway Drayford rips up the Andrews' blueprint and says he going to do more consultation with the LA's.
This seems now to be completed as the his solution is to do nothing and encourage Authorites to work together and voluntarily merge on their own if needed. A typical cop out.
It seems LA reorganisation is too big a task for Welsh Labour in their 15 page document for the next 5 years. Plaid have not come out of this smelling of roses either as they have put their name to the document.
Seems like the status quo is here for the long term with the squabbling divide and rule of the LA's a suitable background for WL to carry on supporting their Cardiff bubble agenda.
[Post edited 2 Oct 2016 14:46]

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Local Government Reorganisation on 14:53 - Oct 2 with 326 viewsexiledclaseboy

Lots of jobs will be lost if the number of LAs is reduced.

Poll: Tory leader

Local Government Reorganisation on 17:29 - Oct 2 with 244 viewsPrivate_Partz

Local Government Reorganisation on 14:53 - Oct 2 by exiledclaseboy

Lots of jobs will be lost if the number of LAs is reduced.

It need not be Clasey. We would lose lots of chief officers and councillors. The money saved there could be put back into the front line services that have been lost over the years. I would love to see 4 or 5 super Authorities. Bring In Police, Fire and Health as well. They would be big enough to fight their own corner and battle for their fair share of the spoils with WAG. Granted that could be scuppered by career politicians sitting on their hands but that is up to the electorate. They would still be small Authorities by English standards.
I think it is a cop out by WAG and completely unrealistic to expect Authorities to merge under their own steam. In fact the opposite. Neath and Port Talbot would love to go back to the old days. Boundaries are very important to both councillors and the electorate though I suspect less so with the latter. Then there is the in fighting and squabbling. It makes for an easy life for WAG.
Anyway thanks for replying. I thought I would be one voice in the darkness on this one. :-)
[Post edited 2 Oct 2016 18:55]

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024