Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Aberfan _ Thursday BBC4 14:06 - Oct 20 with 1488 viewsGlyn1

BBC Four: Surviving Aberfan, 9 pm

Film4: Black Mountain Poets, 10.50 pm. British comedy drama with Alice Lowe and Dolly Wells. I don't know if it's any good but we can always look at the scenery.
[Post edited 20 Oct 2016 14:07]

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Aberfan _ Thursday BBC4 on 16:37 - Oct 21 with 1405 viewsNeiltheTaylor

Trust laid wreath at Aberfan memorial today

https://mobile.twitter.com/swanstrust/status/789479018626183168?ref_src=twsrc%5E

Joe_bradshaw -I thought the cryochamber was the new name for Cardiff's stadium.

Aberfan _ Thursday BBC4 on 16:55 - Oct 21 with 1391 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Dear god ive been reading this today .
Tragic

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-150d11df-c541-44a9-9332-560a19828c47

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Aberfan _ Thursday BBC4 on 17:04 - Oct 21 with 1380 viewsNeiltheTaylor

Aye. We all kind of grew up with the knowledge of the whitewash etc., but my wife is immersed in the coverage today, absolutely horrified

Joe_bradshaw -I thought the cryochamber was the new name for Cardiff's stadium.

Aberfan _ Thursday BBC4 on 19:11 - Oct 21 with 1331 viewsexiledclaseboy

Aberfan _ Thursday BBC4 on 17:04 - Oct 21 by NeiltheTaylor

Aye. We all kind of grew up with the knowledge of the whitewash etc., but my wife is immersed in the coverage today, absolutely horrified

Until this week''s anniversary I knew very little of the appalling way the NCB and the government of the time acted in the aftermath. The cover up, refusal to accept responsibility and pay appropriate compensation. The government demanding (and taking) charity money as a contribution to the cost of removing the tips. Most of this genuinely shocked me despite being well versed in the tragedy itself.

Also this on BBC1 Wales tonight.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07zk9fl

As an aside, and lord knows I eschew nationalism in all its hideous forms, I've no doubt that had a tragedy of this scale happened anywhere in England today's silence would have been UK-wide and not confined to the area/region of the disaster. Also the TV programmes commemorating the tragedy (which have been excellent, kudos to BBC Wales) would have been broadcast in all regions.

Poll: Tory leader

Aberfan _ Thursday BBC4 on 21:11 - Oct 21 with 1295 viewssherpajacob

Aberfan _ Thursday BBC4 on 19:11 - Oct 21 by exiledclaseboy

Until this week''s anniversary I knew very little of the appalling way the NCB and the government of the time acted in the aftermath. The cover up, refusal to accept responsibility and pay appropriate compensation. The government demanding (and taking) charity money as a contribution to the cost of removing the tips. Most of this genuinely shocked me despite being well versed in the tragedy itself.

As an aside, and lord knows I eschew nationalism in all its hideous forms, I've no doubt that had a tragedy of this scale happened anywhere in England today's silence would have been UK-wide and not confined to the area/region of the disaster. Also the TV programmes commemorating the tragedy (which have been excellent, kudos to BBC Wales) would have been broadcast in all regions.

well said

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Aberfan _ Thursday BBC4 on 21:19 - Oct 21 with 1284 viewslifelong

Aberfan _ Thursday BBC4 on 19:11 - Oct 21 by exiledclaseboy

Listening to the accounts of those that survived this awful tragedy has been heart wrenching. The way that they have handled, with great dignity, such an horrendous event in their lives, has made me feel very proud of them.
Aberfan _ Thursday BBC4 on 21:50 - Oct 21 with 1262 viewsperchrockjack

Been an emotional day.

Just had friends around, English ones, who remembered it all too well.

It was a national disaster

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Aberfan _ Thursday BBC4 on 21:58 - Oct 21 with 1249 viewsdcd14

Aberfan _ Thursday BBC4 on 21:50 - Oct 21 by perchrockjack

Been an emotional day.

Just had friends around, English ones, who remembered it all too well.

It was a national disaster

Tonight's programme on BBC1 however is only on show in Wales.
Login to get fewer ads

Aberfan _ Thursday BBC4 on 22:01 - Oct 21 with 1244 viewsmonmouth

Aberfan _ Thursday BBC4 on 21:58 - Oct 21 by dcd14

Tonight's programme on BBC1 however is only on show in Wales.

First and major item on the bbc news though.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Aberfan _ Thursday BBC4 on 22:55 - Oct 21 with 1207 viewsDarran

Watch this.

http://www.swanseasound.co.uk/radioplayer/

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Aberfan _ Thursday BBC4 on 23:21 - Oct 21 with 1192 viewsTreforys_Jack

My family have personal links to the tragedy and even I was not fully aware of the cover up by the NCB and government. Taking money from the fund, ye gods, I literally have no words.
RIP, sincerely hope the minutes silence tomorrow is impeccably observed.
Aberfan _ Thursday BBC4 on 08:56 - Oct 22 with 1139 viewsvalleycommando

Watched the outstanding 'The Green Hollow' on BBC Wales tonight. Should rank with 'Under Milk Wood'. Owen Sheers created poetic brilliance and the stellar cast plus local children brought his words to life so powerfully.
Was at the Service of Commemoration in Merthyr Thursday night. I lived in Merthyr at the time of the disaster and had close friends who lived in Aberfan. Brought it all back - the utter silence in the town on that awful Friday - people standing around in shock, the silence punctuated by the sound of the ambulance bells as they carried victims to St Tydfil's hospital. Also went to Merthyr Vale on the Sunday to help in a 'soup kitchen' and looked across the valley at that iconic scene of the black mass engulfing the school and Moy Road and helpers like ants moving across the tip. The people of Aberfan have behaved with great dignity, courage and indomitable spirit and showed the world how to stand up to authority and not be cowed or bowed. No wonder the valleys produced such great boxers.
I hope that a minute of remembrance has been arranged prior to today's game - that is the very least we can do to show respect and solidarity with this remarkable community.
Aberfan _ Thursday BBC4 on 09:44 - Oct 22 with 1119 viewsperchrockjack

All regional BBC programmes available to us.

Regarding what Clase stated, if this pit had been in Kent, it would have had an even more profound effect.

That s a fact .

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Aberfan _ Thursday BBC4 on 11:24 - Oct 22 with 1099 viewsCountyJim

I sang this last night

My Grancha went up the day after to help with the recovery he never wanted to talk about what he saw
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024