Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Barrow 13:19 - Oct 23 with 3656 viewsTheFranchise

He's played really well recently.

I can't be the only one looking for him to drive into the box with the ball and invite contact for a penalty am I? Players like him get fouled in the box all the time.
Barrow on 12:53 - Oct 24 with 613 viewsLegend83

Barrow on 12:39 - Oct 24 by jasper_T

I champion lots of our players against unfair criticism.

And I criticise a lot of our players when they get over-the-top praise.

The idea that we can only sign poor players is laughable. When quality moves on you replace with quality, you don't buy crap and be happy they will never leave.

I am not sure saying Montero is "good" and looking forward to his return as one of a few in our squad who can generate some attacking spark, is over-the-top praise.

Indeed, the whole basis of your post comes across as wanting Montero to fail so that others will accept what you think.

An odd (or perhaps hyper-realistic) way of looking at things as a fan.
Barrow on 12:54 - Oct 24 with 605 viewsjack247

Barrow on 12:11 - Oct 24 by Oldjack

Good wingers are priceless ask any good striker ,we got two good uns FUK CHASING GAMES ,Here's a novel idea, attack in top gear from the off . Missing out on Joe who would have added some serious bite in the middle could cost us our premier league status

They aren't good wingers though. They are very good at some aspects of wing play. Not so much in others. They don't score, their crossing is hit and miss and they are useless off the ball. I agree missing out on Joe was a big mistake, but having him in the team would not have helped Montero or Barrow much, they prefer the ball at their feet and running at defenders to taking my up good positions and running on to balls.
Barrow on 12:55 - Oct 24 with 605 viewsjasonbromham

Barrow on 18:19 - Oct 23 by jack247

He needs to be scoring goals or at least creating clear cut chances for that argument to stand up. Even then, it shouldn't absolve him of defensive responsibilities

Did you not watch the game Saturday? Sigurdsson's chance was clear cut and he hit the post.
Barrow on 13:00 - Oct 24 with 595 viewsLegend83

Barrow on 12:55 - Oct 24 by jasonbromham

Did you not watch the game Saturday? Sigurdsson's chance was clear cut and he hit the post.

As was Baston's which was tucked away against Arsenal.

In fact his awareness of others is one area he has improved on in a short space of time.
Barrow on 13:04 - Oct 24 with 594 viewsjack247

Barrow on 12:55 - Oct 24 by jasonbromham

Just because he hit the post doesn't make it a clear cut chance. It was a shot from the edge of the box through players.

I'm sure if you want to look for individual examples, you will be able to tell me when he made a clever run and helped his fullback out too. He doesn't do any enough, nor score goals.

Having said that, he is our best outlet at the moment, as Montero would be if you swapped them. Starting them both would be a big gamble though. Why do you think none of our managers have done it with any regularity?
Barrow on 13:05 - Oct 24 with 590 viewsOldjack

Barrow on 12:54 - Oct 24 by jack247

They aren't good wingers though. They are very good at some aspects of wing play. Not so much in others. They don't score, their crossing is hit and miss and they are useless off the ball. I agree missing out on Joe was a big mistake, but having him in the team would not have helped Montero or Barrow much, they prefer the ball at their feet and running at defenders to taking my up good positions and running on to balls.

Is that why teams have to use two players to snuff out the threat off Jeff ?Barrow will be getting the same treatment soon mark my words ,we need to work on helping them out. Working in tandem with the fullbacks is a good starting point

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

Barrow on 13:11 - Oct 24 with 582 viewsLegend83

Barrow on 13:05 - Oct 24 by Oldjack

Is that why teams have to use two players to snuff out the threat off Jeff ?Barrow will be getting the same treatment soon mark my words ,we need to work on helping them out. Working in tandem with the fullbacks is a good starting point

I get where Jack247 is coming from as it's clear both Barrow and Montero are limited when we don't have the ball.

However, OldJack hits it on the head - if the opposition were required to double-up on both sides of the pitch we would have vast swathes of space in between or central to potentially take advantage of.

I would definitely use it as an attacking tactic if we are winning clearly in an attempt to kill the game off, or where we are chasing the game and have nothing to lose.

But never in a tight contest.
Barrow on 13:18 - Oct 24 with 563 viewsOldjack

Barrow on 13:11 - Oct 24 by Legend83

I get where Jack247 is coming from as it's clear both Barrow and Montero are limited when we don't have the ball.

However, OldJack hits it on the head - if the opposition were required to double-up on both sides of the pitch we would have vast swathes of space in between or central to potentially take advantage of.

I would definitely use it as an attacking tactic if we are winning clearly in an attempt to kill the game off, or where we are chasing the game and have nothing to lose.

But never in a tight contest.

Can you remember how Leighton and Jimmy used to work the wing together ?awesome to watch and deadly at opening up defenses ,perhaps it's too old fashioned theses days though

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

Login to get fewer ads

Barrow on 13:26 - Oct 24 with 551 viewsjasper_T

Barrow on 12:53 - Oct 24 by Legend83

I am not sure saying Montero is "good" and looking forward to his return as one of a few in our squad who can generate some attacking spark, is over-the-top praise.

Indeed, the whole basis of your post comes across as wanting Montero to fail so that others will accept what you think.

An odd (or perhaps hyper-realistic) way of looking at things as a fan.

Opinion on Montero has always gone in cycles with our fans. When he's out of the team and times are tough everyone starts clamouring for his return, but then he comes back and within a few games his limitations become painfully obvious as he mopes about on the left touchline waiting for a pass.

He gets dropped or injured and slowly his reputation builds again.

I don't want him to fail, I've just seen it all before. The idea that he'll one day "come good" (i.e. be a consistent winger with reliable end-product) flies in the face of all evidence both here and at his previous clubs.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2016 13:27]
Barrow on 14:05 - Oct 24 with 522 viewsjack247

Barrow on 13:18 - Oct 24 by Oldjack

Can you remember how Leighton and Jimmy used to work the wing together ?awesome to watch and deadly at opening up defenses ,perhaps it's too old fashioned theses days though

No. I'm too young and the fact you have to go back to the eighties to illustrate it working says enough.
Barrow on 14:15 - Oct 24 with 504 viewsOldjack

Barrow on 14:05 - Oct 24 by jack247

No. I'm too young and the fact you have to go back to the eighties to illustrate it working says enough.

I'm not asking you ,football is a simple game made overly complected by tits like yourself

Barrow on 14:20 - Oct 24 with 493 viewsjack247

Barrow on 14:15 - Oct 24 by Oldjack

I'm not asking you ,football is a simple game made overly complected by tits like yourself

It is a simple game. It's not Janet and John simple though.
Barrow on 14:27 - Oct 24 with 481 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Barrow on 12:54 - Oct 24 by jack247

I wonder why it is that Montero & Barrow do not score goals for us, as according to Wiki in their careers they have both been quite prolific scorers for Wingers.
Montero = 58 in total
Barrow = 42 in total
So they obviously did not lack the confidence to have a go at goal at their previous clubs and in Montero's case for Ecuador where he scored 10 in 60 appearances.
I know you have the "Premier League" effect, but could it be more that thay have been told since coming here that they are there to supply the "Stiker(s)" with passes/crosses?
Barrow on 14:35 - Oct 24 with 465 viewsjack247

Barrow on 14:27 - Oct 24 by A_Fans_Dad

I wonder why it is that Montero & Barrow do not score goals for us, as according to Wiki in their careers they have both been quite prolific scorers for Wingers.
Montero = 58 in total
Barrow = 42 in total
So they obviously did not lack the confidence to have a go at goal at their previous clubs and in Montero's case for Ecuador where he scored 10 in 60 appearances.
I know you have the "Premier League" effect, but could it be more that thay have been told since coming here that they are there to supply the "Stiker(s)" with passes/crosses?

I don't know, I'd guess it was the level they were playing at. If they could make intelligent runs off strikers and could finish, they would both be very effective players.

I'd imagine any of our attacking players would be reasonably prolific playing at their old clubs.
Barrow on 15:22 - Oct 24 with 421 viewsjasper_T

Barrow on 14:27 - Oct 24 by A_Fans_Dad

Montero = 58 in total
Barrow = 42 in total

The vast majority of their goals were scored in poor leagues (Mexico and Swedish 2nd).

Barrow played as a more central striker before coming here.
Barrow on 19:30 - Oct 24 with 349 viewsGriffting

Barrow on 15:22 - Oct 24 by jasper_T

The vast majority of their goals were scored in poor leagues (Mexico and Swedish 2nd).

Barrow played as a more central striker before coming here.

You'd think having played as a striker he would be more dynamic as a player, yet he rarely (if ever) goes inside the fullback or runs in behind. Unless of course that is for tactical purposes.
Barrow on 20:59 - Oct 24 with 325 viewsicecoldjack

Barrow on 13:04 - Oct 24 by jack247

Just because he hit the post doesn't make it a clear cut chance. It was a shot from the edge of the box through players.

I'm sure if you want to look for individual examples, you will be able to tell me when he made a clever run and helped his fullback out too. He doesn't do any enough, nor score goals.

Having said that, he is our best outlet at the moment, as Montero would be if you swapped them. Starting them both would be a big gamble though. Why do you think none of our managers have done it with any regularity?

Agree 100% with this .

Barrow is a good prospect and is improving but there is loads to work on with him. If we are relying on barrow to save our season I think a few will be dissapointed .
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024